Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 20:11   #2371
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

See the picture below from my latest FE drive while going on NH7 south of Bangalore. I maintained the RPM below 2000 whenever possible and speeds below 100 kmph throughout the 121 kms. I was using a/c 100% of time and had 3 passengers in the car with tyre pressure at 34 psi.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-fe-picture.jpg  

vasoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 21:19   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
When the A/C is off, are your windows rolled up or down?
I roll down the windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
See the picture below from my latest FE drive while going on NH7 south of Bangalore. I maintained the RPM below 2000 whenever possible and speeds below 100 kmph throughout the 121 kms. I was using a/c 100% of time and had 3 passengers in the car with tyre pressure at 34 psi.
And to top that you have an A/t , that's cool .18KMPl on the display and i guess the real world figure would be around 16.Good enough for me.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 8th September 2011 at 21:23.
Old 8th September 2011, 21:25   #2373
BHPian

Quote:
That's great mileage. But Bangalore-Selam gives awesome FE figures always. I couldn't believe, my Pre-NV Palio gave 19.5kmpl on this stretch. Attribute this to the continuous descent from Bangalore down the Deccan plateau.
Old 8th September 2011, 21:59   #2374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
That's great mileage. But Bangalore-Selam gives awesome FE figures always. I couldn't believe, my Pre-NV Palio gave 19.5kmpl on this stretch. Attribute this to the continuous descent from Bangalore down the Deccan plateau.
You are absolutely right on the factor of the slow descent towards Salem contributing to the high FE. In fact I tried to emulate a similar feat on my way back and it was almost impossible for me to maintain the RPM below 2000 due to the slow climb from Salem. I could not get my FE past 15 in this direction.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:43   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Nice one, vasoo! I'm amazed you managed to control yourself for 121 kms, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
And to top that you have an A/t , that's cool .18KMPl on the display and i guess the real world figure would be around 16.Good enough for me.
I think it's easier to get better F/E on the AT on a highway, especially if it's a divided highway (or an ultra-wide 2/3 lane undivided one). Consider that in 5th, the MT does 80 kmph at 2k rpm whereas the AT does 100 kmph.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th September 2011, 15:29   #2376
BHPian

Bought a used civic. Please guide about the replacement cost estimates for the following worn out buttons. Shall I get this work done at honda, or some other place. My location is Gurgaon.
- Power window panels (LHS RHS) (Plastic housing containing power window buttons).
- Gear Knob
- Handbrake plastic
- All pedals
- Wiper blades
- Clutch assembly (clutch is a bit hard - what could be the reason)
Old 9th September 2011, 15:45   #2377
BHPian

@kumargandharva

1.For power window panels, replace only if they are cracked or broken if the paint is faded away or blackened then get them painted in the same original color by a good painter should cost you max of 1k for both the panels same applies for gear knob too.

2.Wiper blades from honda should cost you around 500rs just for the rubber stripes which require replacing go with honda only as in open market this is not easily available and secondly fakes ruin the glass.

3.If pedals are excessively worn out then you have to go to honda only for that or you can go to your local accssories shop and ask around for pedals stock or aftermarket.

4.Handbrake Plastic go to honda or if it can be removed then get it removed and re-painted, will be cheaper than buying a new one.

5.For clutch it can be two reasons either the hydraulic clutch system is not bled or fulid has not been changed or your clutch is on its way out, How much has your car run ?
Old 9th September 2011, 16:30   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Nice one, vasoo! I'm amazed you managed to control yourself for 121 kms, though!

I think it's easier to get better F/E on the AT on a highway, especially if it's a divided highway (or an ultra-wide 2/3 lane undivided one). Consider that in 5th, the MT does 80 kmph at 2k rpm whereas the AT does 100 kmph.

Regards,
spadix
are you saying @ 2krpm the auto will behave as in 5t gear in MT at 80-100 kmph ?
Old 9th September 2011, 17:30   #2379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
are you saying @ 2krpm the auto will behave as in 5t gear in MT at 80-100 kmph ?
It depends. If one is cruising on a highway, at 2k rpm the auto will slowly shift to 5th (and therefore, behave similarly).

But the point I was making was that the AT has taller gearing. In 5th, the auto does 20 kmph more at 2k rpm than the manual. This taller gearing endows the AT with better F/E when cruising on the highway, which is quite counter-intuitive as generally autos are worse at F/E than manuals.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 18:48   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey vasoo, what a coincidence. I too did some hyper-miling last weekend on ECR from Pondy to Chennai (half way only though) and maintained speeds between 70-80kmph and was pleasantly surprised to see the MID show 19.7 kmpl. If not for my impatience to stick to those speeds, I am sure it would have touched 20 kmpl. I had two adults, 2 children and 1 pup in the car with 33psi on the tyres.

Last edited by rr_zen : 9th September 2011 at 18:49.
Old 9th September 2011, 21:52   #2381
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
Bought a used civic. Please guide about the replacement cost estimates for the following worn out buttons. Shall I get this work done at honda, or some other place. My location is Gurgaon.
- Power window panels (LHS RHS) (Plastic housing containing power window buttons).
- Gear Knob
- Handbrake plastic
- All pedals
- Wiper blades
- Clutch assembly (clutch is a bit hard - what could be the reason)
The plastic coating on power window panels, gear knobs and handbrake lever goes off in a few years. As Jatin said, they can be repainted. I have done the same for the panels.
The cost of a new panel is probably 1400 bucks each. This I came to know during a discussion with a used car garage last year. The knobs and levers are around the same price range.

Civic's clutch becomes hard in many specimens. Replacement of the clutch plate seems to be the solution. I think BHPian smartcat spent some 10-14k for that recently, if I am not wrong.
Old 10th September 2011, 03:00   #2382
BHPian

@jatinpatel

car has run 38k, Dec 2006 model

can cruise control and driver info system be retrofitted on a 2006 model?

Last edited by kumargandharva : 10th September 2011 at 03:08.
Old 10th September 2011, 14:48   #2383
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,

please refer to the attached pic below.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0279.jpg

You can see the rubber covering around the gear lever is torn.Now i was wondering if this particular part will be available in the accesories shops as quite frankly it's a sight for sore eyes.Has anyone replaced this thingy and at what cost.

Also i have noticed the rear seat bench is a little loose and i have to push it back in place.is there a clip or socket etc which it is supposed to lock into ?

thanks all.
Old 12th September 2011, 10:25   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Reason to worry?

After shuvc's unfortunate incident with the taxi, it's probably my time to worry now.

What you see here was not the result of a driving accident, and I have no clue who or what caused it. It wasn't there on Friday noon. I returned from office late on Friday night so even if this was caused by something in that open parking ground near office, I wouldn't know. I didn't touch the car over the weekend although the cleaning chap did his duty and even cleaned out the interiors on Sunday, along with a pal of his who I assume is picking up the profession now. Now, he *generally* does a good job and leaves only swirl marks and no dents or scratches. So this could just as possibly have been caused by a stone or pebble that landed from somewhere, although there's a tree right above this general area in that open parking slot outside our house.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo-1.jpg

Anyway, the end result is that there's a dent and an ugly blemish that's the size of a big ball-bearing. More importantly, the metal underlying the paint is exposed. :(

I had only the mobile camera with me and the dent isn't very clearly visible in these pictures. I'll try and get a more detailed picture that shows not only the dent but also the paint damage itself more clearly.

I'm wondering whether I should get this touched up immediately or wait until the next service some 4750 kms (and at the rate at which I'm driving these days, nearly one year) away.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th September 2011, 11:18   #2385
BANNED

My immediate reaction will be an immediate touch up. Only with metallic paint you are looking at the panel at about 4k. Being is Gurgaon you can easily leave it for a few months.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks