Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2015, 17:34   #6166
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hello Guys,

I'm driving a Honda Civic 1.8S MT, 2006 make with 85k mileage. its been with me now for about 4 years. Have got it serviced always through HASS except once when I gave it to a garage in Gurgaon to replace brake pads. The guy did the job, but since then there is a noise whenever brakes are applied, kind of screeching. Other than that no problem.
Lately, for about a year or so, the vibrations in lower RPMs have become unbearable. I know Engine mount is to be blamed, which has been told to me by every SA after every PMS.
Another issue is that the front right side suspension makes unusual sound when the wheel gets into a bigger/sudden pothole. The SA says that both front lower arm bush hands(? no idea what he means by this ) are cut.
However on both the accounts i.e. engine mount and suspension bushes he said there isn't burning need yet to change.
Clutch also has become hard over the years... Now work done yet on this till date.
Plus during the last PMS, the SA reported a minor leakage in power steering.

Looking at all this, I am making up my mind to put the car for once to fix all the issues - 1)Brake pads, 2)Engine Mount 3)Suspension bush 4) Clutch work (SA says clutch needs overhaul with clutch cylinder and master cylinder and 5) fix up power steering leakage

Seek expert advise from you all on following:

1) Should I prefer HASS for all these tasks or is there any other garage that you guys can recommend who can do all these jobs in a trustworthy way. I'm based out of Navi Mumbai, but even open for anywhere in Mumbai if it means quality work and saving a few bucks.
2) The brake pads aren't really causing any problem other than the screeching/whistling kind of noise. Is it safe to drive or will it have any impact on any other parts of the brake assembly
3)Finally, putting it all together, what should be the ideal estimate of hole in the pocket..

I am planning to take quotes from HASS in Nerul - Hallmark Honda and Reliance Autozone in Ghansoli (since its within the office premises). Please suggest if I should approach anyone else for this comprehensive overhaul..

Thanks in advance

Cheers!
Old 7th January 2015, 19:45   #6167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post

Seek expert advise from you all on following:

1) Should I prefer HASS for all these tasks or is there any other garage that you guys can recommend

I am planning to take quotes from HASS in Nerul - Hallmark Honda and Reliance Autozone in Ghansoli (since its within the office premises). Please suggest if I should approach anyone else for this comprehensive overhaul..

Thanks in advance

Cheers!
As regards HASS, the work quality I have found to be average but with nice fat bills. The amount of work you have listed looks to be in the plus Rs. 50k range easily. I too have been in search of a good independent garage and have heard decent reports about Wagenwerks. I think another bhpIan's experience is noted in the previous 2-3 pages. I also need to sort out tie-rod issues on my car which is same model year as yours.

As regards Reliance Autozone, I will say stay away. I was in RIL till a few months back, have seen their work quality and would never ever get anything major done from there.

If you find someone please let me know, maybe we can sync up and look around.

Thanks,
Old 7th January 2015, 22:27   #6168
BHPian

I got my brake pads and front arm bushings and tie rods done at wagenwerkz. I recommend them over HASS. The work done is good and its easier on the pocket.
Old 7th January 2015, 22:28   #6169
BHPian

Honda Civic Maintenance and Service Costs and Must dos

Hi Arjun, I called up jatin from wagenwerkz today in the evening to get an estimate of the mentioned jobs. He will get the car collected in a day or two to get a thorough inspection done. In the meanwhile will also ask the HASS in Nerul for the quote. Will keep you posted.

Wagenwerkz seems to be good but let's wait for jatin to revert.

Cheers!

Last edited by 1lokesh : 7th January 2015 at 22:45.
Old 7th January 2015, 23:59   #6170
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arjun, I called up jatin from wagenwerkz today in the evening to get an estimate of the mentioned jobs. He will get the car collected in a day or two to get a thorough inspection done. In the meanwhile will also ask the HASS in Nerul for the quote. Will keep you posted.

Wagenwerkz seems to be good but let's wait for jatin to revert.

Cheers!

Thanks Lokesh, will wait to hear your feedback.
Old 8th January 2015, 15:04   #6171
Senior - BHPian

Of late I am hearing a rattling sound from the left side doors, not sure if it is on front or back. The HASS guys could not figure it out in my last service. Any experience or idea what it could be ? I initially doubted the loose seatbelt buckles hitting the B-pillar cladding. But it is not the case here. If nothing works, I am planning to remove the door pads myself and check it out. It is highly irritating as it seems to occur even on slightest roughness on the road.

Last edited by vasoo : 8th January 2015 at 15:05.
Old 8th January 2015, 15:08   #6172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Of late I am hearing a rattling sound from the left side doors, not sure if it is on front or back. The HASS guys could not figure it out in my last service. Any experience or idea what it could be ? I initially doubted the loose seatbelt buckles hitting the B-pillar cladding. But it is not the case here. If nothing works, I am planning to remove the door pads myself and check it out. It is highly irritating as it seems to occur even on slightest roughness on the road.
My car had rattles on the LHS sides. One was narrowed down to the door. Discovered that some damping material was loose.

The second one still exists to a small extent around the LHS dash. HASS had once 'tightened/jammed' the AC vents. But it still hasn't taken care of the issue completely.

Additionally there is a slight steering boss rattle in my car, under the horn pad ie. I live with it.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 17:39   #6173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
My car had rattles on the LHS sides. One was narrowed down to the door. Discovered that some damping material was loose.

The second one still exists to a small extent around the LHS dash. HASS had once 'tightened/jammed' the AC vents. But it still hasn't taken care of the issue completely.

Additionally there is a slight steering boss rattle in my car, under the horn pad ie. I live with it.
May be it is a good opportunity for me to install better damping on my doors! It has been a long pending plan, along with replacing the front speakers.
Old 9th January 2015, 15:06   #6174
Senior - BHPian

The Condensor fan, was playing spoil sport. Sometime it switches ON, Sometimes it doesn't. This happened yesterday night, so switched off AC and drove home. Today morning checked again, the fan motor seems to have some loose contact. Removed the fan and checked, it's a moulded motor, no possibility of servicing.

Mean while as a matter of fan not switching on Compressor to Condensor pipe was running hot and got weak. There was signs of slow leakage.

Changed both Fan Motor and Pipe, filled with gas and did a leak test. So far so good. Damages 7K.
Old 9th January 2015, 16:20   #6175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The Condensor fan, was playing spoil sport. Sometime it switches ON, Sometimes it doesn't. This happened yesterday night, so switched off AC and drove home. Today morning checked again, the fan motor seems to have some loose contact. Removed the fan and checked, it's a moulded motor, no possibility of servicing.

Mean while as a matter of fan not switching on Compressor to Condensor pipe was running hot and got weak. There was signs of slow leakage.

Changed both Fan Motor and Pipe, filled with gas and did a leak test. So far so good. Damages 7K.
Are these Hass prices or after market?If after market what was the brand name.
Old 9th January 2015, 16:54   #6176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Thanks Lokesh, will wait to hear your feedback.
So got the estimate from HASS, Nerul - Hallmark Honda. Attached herewith. The total ask is INR 93k

As you would notice, Clutch overhauling itself is ~INR 35k and then Power
Steering 'minor' leakage alone is 19k.

This doesn't include any paint touch-up or minor denting work that is needed. Haven't negotiated with HASS yet. Do they anyways?

Anyone who has got the same work(s) done earlier here can guide me? Also any suggestions of alternate neighborhood garage?

Jatin from WagenWerkz never got back. Will follow up again

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hallmark_Honda Quote.pdf (216.8 KB, 397 views)
Old 9th January 2015, 18:03   #6177
BHPian

Quote:

The total ask is INR 93k

Haven't negotiated with HASS yet. Do they anyways?

Anyone who has got the same work(s) done earlier here can guide me? Also any suggestions of alternate neighborhood garages

Cheers!
Am not at all surprised by the HASS quote, is on expected lines and negotiating with HASS is of no use anyways. They do not budge from listed prices in my experience.

Can you share Jatin's number by a PM. Please also let me know if you find any other option.

Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 18:27   #6178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So got the estimate from HASS, Nerul - Hallmark Honda. Attached herewith. The total ask is INR 93k

This doesn't include any paint touch-up or minor denting work that is needed. Haven't negotiated with HASS yet. Do they anyways?

Anyone who has got the same work(s) done earlier here can guide me? Also any suggestions of alternate neighborhood garage?

Cheers!
What is exactly wrong with the clutch ? If the clutch pedal is hard and has to be pushed all the way then the clutch plate is kaput. If the pedal has to be manually pulled up before starting the car ie the pedal feels limp and has sunk in close to the floorboard then i believe the clutch master cyclinder needs to be replaced.Flywheel need not be replaced and can be skimmed.The flywheel alone costs 11-15K.It will cost around 500- 1200 bucks at HASS for skimmimg. I had my clutch overhauled from a local garage for 13.7 K approx. I did not change the flywheel.It's not necessary for the master cylinder to be changed if it's not kaput.The prices for all the parts are changed are close or even lesser to what i have paid at a garage outside (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3609833)

IMHO you can take up the clutch work only at Honda provided you get the flywheel skimmed only rather than replace.As per a Honda service advisor the flywheel can be skimmed maximum twice before it needs to be replaced.Ask for the flywheel to be skimmed if you go to Hass for the Clutch.

Definitely do NOT go to Hass for the power steering pump overhaul as these guys don't do the job themselves.They will give it to a 3rd party and charge you a bomb for it.Outside the power steering pump overhaul will not cost you more than 6K.Plus the outside guy will also give the same 6 mnths warranty which even HASS will give. You can go ahead with the mount change from Honda as they do have better quality mounts.I got the mount changed from outside for around 6k including labor and it has become weak within 2 months time.In fact the i felt the older replaced mount had a better gap then the current one.

Good Luck.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 9th January 2015 at 18:28.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 18:59   #6179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
What is exactly wrong with the clutch ? If the clutch pedal is hard and has to be pushed all the way then the clutch plate is kaput. If the pedal has to be manually pulled up before starting the car ie the pedal feels limp and has sunk in close to the floorboard then i believe the clutch master cyclinder needs to be replaced.Flywheel need not be replaced and can be skimmed.The flywheel alone costs 11-15K.It will cost around 500- 1200 bucks at HASS for skimmimg. I had my clutch overhauled from a local garage for 13.7 K approx. I did not change the flywheel.It's not necessary for the master cylinder to be changed if it's not kaput.The prices for all the parts are changed are close or even lesser to what i have paid at a garage outside (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3609833)

IMHO you can take up the clutch work only at Honda provided you get the flywheel skimmed only rather than replace.As per a Honda service advisor the flywheel can be skimmed maximum twice before it needs to be replaced.Ask for the flywheel to be skimmed if you go to Hass for the Clutch.

Definitely do NOT go to Hass for the power steering pump overhaul as these guys don't do the job themselves.They will give it to a 3rd party and charge you a bomb for it.Outside the power steering pump overhaul will not cost you more than 6K.Plus the outside guy will also give the same 6 mnths warranty which even HASS will give. You can go ahead with the mount change from Honda as they do have better quality mounts.I got the mount changed from outside for around 6k including labor and it has become weak within 2 months time.In fact the i felt the older replaced mount had a better gap then the current one.

Good Luck.
Thanks Sumeet.
The clutch is hard and needs to be pressed all the way down in low speeds.
I will ask HASS if they can do flywheel skimming else that work too goes to some workshop outside like you have suggested for Steering Pump. All I need to do now is to find a trusted Honda guy here.
Will get the mount change from them. Any specific type/make of the mount you'd suggest?

Cheers!
Old 9th January 2015, 19:24   #6180
BHPian

Quote:

I've had the same problems as those mentioned above.

The minor leakage in the power steering is a very common problem that seems to happen to Civics and Accords beyond a certain age. Apparently, the pump oil seals are not made for Indian environments (being a Japanese import) and crack and leak with age. The seals need to be replaced, and any pressure leaks need to be welded, it's a 2-3 hour job, and can be done in an outside garage for about 2.5k. I've done it for my Civic, and and for the leaky seal in the brake master cylinder for my Accord.

I would suggest you buy a good aftermarket performance clutch for the Civic, it will be cheaper than HASS and last the lifetime of the car. It can easily be installed at a neighbourhood workshop for less than 6k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks