Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2015, 20:53   #6466
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for confirming that the mount in my car is fine

@sumeet, there isn't any separate amp in the car. Are they alluding to the amp in the HU?

Does your car have a USB and/or Aux in?
Old 10th April 2015, 12:10   #6467
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Thank you all for confirming that the mount in my car is fine

@sumeet, there isn't any separate amp in the car. Are they alluding to the amp in the HU?

The Indian Civic does not have a dedicated amp. Even the speakers are the average paper cone speakers, the quality still being decent.
Old 10th April 2015, 12:50   #6468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Civics Post 2009 have the Aux-In feature right near the 12V socket.

I have noticed that the older Civic (Pre-2009) does not have security alarm. It is just like a remote lock/ unlock facility even in the super lock mode. I locked the doors with the remote key with the window open. Then opened the door lock from inside through the window and opened the door from outside. There was no alarm.

Last edited by saket77 : 10th April 2015 at 12:51.
Old 10th April 2015, 14:50   #6469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have noticed that the older Civic (Pre-2009) does not have security alarm. It is just like a remote lock/ unlock facility even in the super lock mode. I locked the doors with the remote key with the window open. Then opened the door lock from inside through the window and opened the door from outside. There was no alarm.
Did you try this immediately after locking the car using the remote ? If so, I suggest you allow about a minute or so and then try it out. By then the car is armed. I tried this in my face-lifted 2010 Civic and the alarm did not go off upon opening the door within a few seconds of locking the car. However, when I tried the same after a minute, it went off.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 15:02   #6470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Did you try this immediately after locking the car using the remote ? If so, I suggest you allow about a minute or so and then try it out. By then the car is armed. I tried this in my face-lifted 2010 Civic and the alarm did not go off upon opening the door within a few seconds of locking the car. However, when I tried the same after a minute, it went off.
Yes, I tried immediately after locking the car by remote. Will try again and report back. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10th April 2015, 18:55   #6471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The Indian Civic does not have a dedicated amp. Even the speakers are the average paper cone speakers, the quality still being decent.
Any idea what can cause the system to behave the way it's doing. No sound is coming from the radio or cd being played.
Old 10th April 2015, 21:06   #6472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Any idea what can cause the system to behave the way it's doing. No sound is coming from the radio or cd being played.
Get a guy to check the connections at the back. The Honda head unit checks for a speaker being present and turns itself off to prevent damage if one isn't found. It can be due to a bad connection, dampness or even corrosion. Even if the connection to one of the speakers is faulty, there will be no sound. The system works even if one of the speakers is connected so you can test them individually.

Do let us know. Good luck.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 22:37   #6473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys i have a new problem. There is no sound heard from the factory stereo for cd or radio. Hass advisor and the internet says possible some issue with factory amp. Hass guy quoted 6 to 7k for fixing but ofcourse i won't be going there. Anyone had similar issue before ?
This might sound funny but I faced the same issue a couple of years back. The factory stereo just stopped working and there were no lights, no volume, nothing. I believe it happened on a Saturday morning on a weekend in which I had to do a lot of running. The next afternoon, I was fiddling with the system while waiting to pick up a few relatives. One of them closed the door real hard - hard enough to give the whole car a violent shake - and, believe it or not, it started working. I haven't faced issues since then.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 17:20   #6474
BHPian

Hi all ,
I am looking to buy a preowned civic , mostly 2006-2008 models.
It will be atleast 6-8 years old.
1) Is there anything to check while buying any of these models?
2) Any specific things to look for while buying used civic?
3) And cars clocked over 70-80k kms , are those worth to buy now ? Wont these cars give any problems ?
4) What will be the average maintenance cost if I buy a car 7-8 years old with 80k kms on Odo ? What are the things that needs replacement?

Last edited by SolidSnake : 12th April 2015 at 17:21.
Old 13th April 2015, 06:28   #6475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
3) And cars clocked over 70-80k kms , are those worth to buy now ? Wont these cars give any problems ?
Mine is nearing 8 years at 1,38,000 kms and trouble-free, so if the previous owner had maintained it properly, the Civic is a great car to buy!
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 09:37   #6476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Mine is nearing 8 years at 1,38,000 kms and trouble-free, so if the previous owner had maintained it properly, the Civic is a great car to buy!
Can you please tell me what was the average maintenance costs and major parts if you have replaced any ?
Old 13th April 2015, 11:37   #6477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all ,
4) What will be the average maintenance cost if I buy a car 7-8 years old with 80k kms on Odo ? What are the things that needs replacement?
'06-'08 Civics are going for real value for money prices in used market. Though, post '09 models are preferable, but in my opinion, there is no problem in going for a well maintained Civic which is a tad older. You need to carry on the checks that you would have done for any used car. When it comes to Civics in particular, hydraulic steering pump & rack need to be examined for leaks. This is a costly part to replace, if faulty or leaking. Engine mounts are probably the only weaker link in the entire engineering. Check for sufficient gap between the alloy & rubber of mounting assembly. However, the cost of replacement of the part is reasonable - around 10K at HASS.

The Honda iVTEC engines are gems - Civic is no exception to this. I have seen them clocking over 2L kms on the odo if maintained well. So cars around 70K kms are not a bad deal at all. In fact, Civics under 50K can be considered as 'virgin'!

Parts are little expensive when it comes to it, but in 'non-Indianized' Hondas they don't go bad pretty often, so that is good news. Civic was a global offering and hence you will find the build and part quality top notch. Just look for a good piece, do not hurry and you will come across your car soon. Just remember, Civic sold exceedingly well in its years for the segment, so there would be plenty of good examples available in the used car market.

Trust that helps!

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 12:14   #6478
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all ,
Hi,
I have a 2009 Civic A/T done approx 90,000 kms. I have had almost no issues with the car till date, except the engine mount, which was replaced under warranty
- Brake pads last for 40-50K kms as per my experience. Check when these were last replaced. ASS charge approx 6-6.5 K for front and rear sets each. You can get other brands or imported ones from out side for much cheaper
- Engine mount : Was it ever replaced? Check clearance by putting the car key between the mount and base. If it fits, you probably are fine
- At 100K kms, you will have to replace all 4 spark plugs, costing around 4.5 K. Plugs last 100K kms
- Every 40K kms, you have to change the fuel filter costing 4.5K. Check when it was last replaced.
- Also, if you buy a well maintained car having service records, less than 7 years only and run less than 100K kms, you can get Honda warranty again for added peace of mind

The engine feels like it can last forever and is super smooth and almost mint. Even feels like it is getting better with age.

I have not faced any electrical or mechanical issues till date and have spent money only of regular maintenance, consumables and wear tear parts like brake pads and tyres.

Rgds
VineetG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 13:53   #6479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all ,
In my almost 4 years of ownership of a used Civic (Jan 2007) bougth in july 2011 i have faced below issues.

Power steering leakage twice(10.5k a Honda & 5.5k at oustide garage)
Power steering hose for ~8k
Steering rack leakage (11.5k at Honda)
Engine mount replaced twice. ne non oe ~5k which went bust in 2 months and another currently running Honda OE mount at 10k but unfortunately the car is still going thunk thunk over bad roads
A/c cooling coil at 12k including labour
Front suspension overhaul at 33k including both front shockers.
Clutch plate at 11k. This was unnecessary and i was more or less fooled into going for it.
Clutch master and slave cylinder , this was the original problem and what was needed to be changed instead of the clutch plate (~15k including service)

Pending issues with the car

Busted Audio system (6k for repairs quoted by Honda)
Front discs need changing along with brake pads (10k min estimate)
Possible ignition coil change (17k total for all 4). I am guesstimating this, Honda has not asked to change yet but sooner or later i expect it to go kaput. I am facing jerks and hesitation at times while driving.
Rear suspension change as the rear is sagging (min 20k expected)
Wheel bearing (min 10k )

Bottom line is, the Civic 'can' be expensive to maintian. I have not even added the cost of brake pads, fuel filer etc to my above list.

Try to get a single owner car. Mine had 2 owners previously. Just my bad luck that i ended up with such a example.

Try to ascertain the actual mileage of the car. Below post will explain how. Aviod cars which do not have service history.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3636994

My car is the worst one can get. So you know how bad it can be at the most. Just try to get a well maintained example. Look for signs of aging inside. If the car is scratch less
from the outside does not mean it's a low mileage. Please use the method in the post i have mentioned above to determine the mileage of the car. Be warned the civics's ODO can be tampered.

Good Luck.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 13th April 2015 at 13:55.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 16:00   #6480
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody know the part number of the belt that runs the compressor, alternator and PS pump? What is its cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks