Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 12:40   #8176
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I got these from Aliexpress in 3 weeks. They however are not a perfect fit and are able to secure the right fender trim okish but the left side which holds the water dispencer is still loose. I would recommend tree type clips if anyone is ordering. Received 50 clips will need to see if i can put them to use in other places.

Attachment 1628032
Hi Sumeet,

I had ordered the same ones almost at the same time when you did albeit the quantity was 100 pieces in my case. The tracking states that the package is still in transit, I think this time its gonna be a longer period then usual for these to be delivered.

Regards
Kunal
Old 14th April 2017, 00:18   #8177
Senior - BHPian

Today while driving in the afternoon in peak summer heat the temp guage started to shoot up. Immediately i switched off the ac and the guage went back to normal. Tried it again and the temp indicator started to rise. Had to switch off ac in sweltering summer heat. At night however the issue did not occur. I drove with ac on and the needle behaved itself. The ac fan was changed a couple of years ago. Can the ac fan relay act up ?
Old 14th April 2017, 00:33   #8178
BHPian

Quote:
Today while driving in the afternoon in peak summer heat the temp guage started to shoot up. Immediately i switched off the ac and the guage went back to normal. Tried it again and the temp indicator started to rise. Had to switch off ac in sweltering summer heat. At night however the issue did not occur. I drove with ac on and the needle behaved itself. The ac fan was changed a couple of years ago. Can the ac fan relay act up ?
Did the temperature gauge reached the half way mark?

I'm asking this because the same thing happened last week in my car as well and that too in similar condition (car was parked in open car lot for around 4 hours).
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 00:45   #8179
BHPian

Quote:
Today while driving in the afternoon in peak summer heat the temp guage started to shoot up. Immediately i switched off the ac and the guage went back to normal.

The ac fan was changed a couple of years ago. Can the ac fan relay act up ?
First of all we have to find out if at all the ac fan is at fault and stops running midway. The cuprits could range from a faulty radiator fan relay/connectors, clogged up radiator, less coolant, choked up condenser/radiator fins, low engine-oil level, debris or plastic garbage from the road caught up in between the fans, etc.

Check it up ASAP first thing in the morning in order to enjoy a cooler ride and more importantly avoid possibly blowing up your head gasket. Now you really don't want that. It's good you noticed the temp meter, because most folks notice engine heat-up only after they see steam coming from up front :banghead:
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 08:29   #8180
Senior - BHPian

Checked the ac fan in the morning and it was running. Checked twice by switching ac on off and it stopped and started as usual. Will check again today while driving.

@Ashish the temp guage had reached halfway mark.

@Pixantz coolant level is ok and radiator fan seems fine. I am suspecting ac fan relay.

Will get car checked out at garage tomorrow as ac garage is shut today due to holiday.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th April 2017 at 09:33. Reason: edited
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 10:49   #8181
BHPian

Quote:
Checked the ac fan in the morning and it was running. Checked twice by switching ac on off and it stopped and started as usual. Will check again today while driving.

@Pixantz coolant level is ok and radiator fan seems fine. I am suspecting ac fan relay.

Will get car checked out at garage tomorrow as ac garage is shut today due to holiday.
As pointed out by Pixantz, get those items inspected by a trusted mechanic.

Since the cost of Civic's engine parts as well their waiting period is very high, it's better to be cautious.

On that note, I would also get my car inspected by my trusted HASS tomorrow.
Old 14th April 2017, 11:37   #8182
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Sumeet,

You are an inspiration for rest of us. The amount of TLC that you give to your Civic is phenomenal.

Please keep us posted when you solve this issue. It will be of use to us all.

Respect.
skdking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 13:22   #8183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took the car to my ac garage. The fans were running fine and they checked the cut out time for ac it seems and it was normal. The garage guy said it must have been due to load that the car started to heat up. He at most recommended a radiator wash to relieve the issue.

I had gone to fill cng and the pump attendant noted the car was feeling too hot. The coolant level may need to be checked which i would do once the car cools down. On my way home i purposely went for a long drive to check if the issue and just as i was about to reach home the car started to heat. I pulled over to side and checked the fans and they were running.

Later came back home and called up my Hass guy and explained everything to him. He asked to check coolant level. If the coolant is low it could be a leakage. My coolant reservoir still spits out coolant inspite adding a new coolant cap. If coolant is not issue as per my Hass guy it could be the thermostat valve (3 to 5 k). Will check coolant tomorrow and update same.
Old 15th April 2017, 13:43   #8184

Hi All,

Had an issue with my battery of civic - SP SONIC EXIDE, had to jump start it twice and it was spitting out liquid chemicals too. Followed Team BHP forums, and got my myself a brand new EXIDE Matrix with 30 months 100% free replacement warranty and 31-50 50% replacement warranty etc. Cost - 5600+100 for using credit card payment, and in exchange of the old battery.

I was warned by a couple of mechanics earlier too that my battery may soon give away, though I never had a single bad experience with it, but last few times I observed the corrosion presumably due to the battery liquid and since my civic is an AT, did not want to take risk and got it replaced.

Regards

Gary
Old 15th April 2017, 15:38   #8185
BHPian

Yesterday took my car on a long drive (since it is safe now as all 4 tires have been replaced with Michelin Primacy 3ST).

Noticed one unique issue which does seem scary. While driving, my thigh accidentally touched the key and I noticed that the key is bit loose.

To my surprise, the key could be removed as there was no locking mechanism (which is there in my Swift and Elite i20).

I'm doubting this as a feature offered by Honda in Civic but more likely a Lock/Key related issue.

Fellow BHPians, please advice whether this issue is normal or not since I am new to the world of Honda and had a sleepless night due to yesterday's finding.
Old 15th April 2017, 18:52   #8186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Yesterday took my car on a long drive (since it is safe now as all 4 tires have been replaced with Michelin Primacy 3ST).

Noticed one unique issue which does seem scary. While driving, my thigh accidentally touched the key and I noticed that the key is bit loose.

To my surprise, the key could be removed as there was no locking mechanism (which is there in my Swift and Elite i20).

I'm doubting this as a feature offered by Honda in Civic but more likely a Lock/Key related issue.

Fellow BHPians, please advice whether this issue is normal or not since I am new to the world of Honda and had a sleepless night due to yesterday's finding.
Were you able to remove the key while car was in motion you saying ? If so this is not safe.
Old 15th April 2017, 19:07   #8187
BHPian

Quote:
Were you able to remove the key while car was in motion you saying ? If so this is not safe.
Yes. I was able to remove the key while the car was moving.

Infact the key doesn't lock at all though it is goes in and out fairly smooth.

This (if in case is a feature in Civic) isn't safe at all!
Old 16th April 2017, 00:13   #8188
BHPian

Hello Guys, Iam using Civic 1.8S since July 2007 and has only done 32k on the odo.
Now Iam planning to sell the car. What should be its market price considering that this car is in immaculate condition.
Old 16th April 2017, 00:25   #8189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Yes. I was able to remove the key while the car was moving.

Infact the key doesn't lock at all though it is goes in and out fairly smooth.

This (if in case is a feature in Civic) isn't safe at all!
This has started happening with my car as well. I can remove key in any position (off, on, ignition). My local locksmith told me that it's due to aged key and/or lock levers. Personally for me it's minor issue since I am personally driving my civic 99.9% of times. Key won't automatically come out while driving unless I purposely pull it out.

If you are concerned about this behavior, then first try with other spare key, it that one also does not stay locked then I guess you will have to replace your lock internal levers. It should not be very expensive job if done outside HASS

Last edited by techcoze : 16th April 2017 at 00:28.
techcoze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 00:26   #8190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneet View Post
Hello Guys, Iam using Civic 1.8S since July 2007 and has only done 32k on the odo.
Now Iam planning to sell the car. What should be its market price considering that this car is in immaculate condition.
I'm not so sure about Delhi but here in Mumbai such a car would fetch about 2.5 - 3.0 lacs, if I'm not mistaken.

Most Viewed