Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 13:30   #196
BHPian

I am in the dilemma of choosing car between Swift ZDI / Dzire ZDI / Polo 1.2 Highline.

Just to put in a better perspective why these cars as options only is because I am looking for a car through company lease plan and the options within my budget would be possible for these only.

Just to let you know I own a swift VDI which has done 60k now after 4 years of ownership. This car I possibly will sell or keep in the family after some months.

What do you guys suggest me to go for considering following:

- I want out and out drivers car
- I want decent space better than my existing swift
- should offer good space in the rear for three passengers.
- the car being leased I would not like to invest extra in the car to add accessories so should give the most out of the standard car.

Thanks to help me make my decision as I have to finalise on one in 2 weeks time to book through lease plan.
Old 27th February 2012, 14:38   #197

re: Review: The 2nd-gen Maruti Dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhuG View Post
1) I agree that the Manza is a very good car and I like that car. However, Tata and Fiat cars were always out of question due to the A.S.S/maintenance issues.
As regards Toyota Etios, the cost of the the G variant is 6.4 lacs on road in Chennai (G variant is with speakers alone w/o a music system/radio, w/o fog lights) which is 30K more than the Dzire Vxi. Also, the Toyota can never match Maruti in A.S.S, mileage and spare parts cost. Also, the Etios Pertol is not as fun to drive as Dzire. Moreover, a huge boot was never my requirement. Hence the notchback made sense to me.

2) As regards the hatches mentioned here, I already had written about the GC issue with Figo. The Jazz though an excelent car and a Honda at that, was again having an uncertain waiting period and bookings were not being taken at all. Moreover, I earlier wrote about the GC issue that my neighbour had with his Jazz and the reply that he got from Honda. Reg. the Polo, yes, I agree that this too is an excellent car. But again I had concerns on the A.S.S and maintenance costs. I understsnd from a couple of my friends about the hazzles that they face when they need to give their Polo or for that matter a Micra for service, esp. if it is an unplanned service. Another car that was in contention whed I decided to upgrade to VXi was i20 Magna. But in this case, I have read about the low FE figues esp. in City where 80% of my usage would be.

I could not hear a single such stories from any Maruti Dzire/Swift owners. Hence was more inclined towards the Dzire. Though I agree that all the 3 hatches mentioned by you are excellent products, a few aspects here and there made a big difference.

Yes. I will be writing in detail about the PDI and delivery experience and later on the ownership experience.
I have Maruti Alto for last 8 Yrs ,Wagon R for 3 yrs & Toyota Etios for more than 1 Year & on account of ***, i feel Toyota is miles ahead of Maruti on Customer Service part, This is purely based on my expereince with Sai Service, which is one of the Best recognised Dealers for Maruti.
The Cost of Spares, Toyota no doubt is costlier than Maruti & that because of availablity of non Genuene Maruti Spares plenty in market, which forces Maruti to keep its price down.
The Problems with Etios is inferior quality Plastic & high NVH ( which can be controled by using 3M Coatings ) otherwise on account of Space & fun quotient its better than Dzire.
with 1.5 Ltr Engine & better weigt to power ratio, its real fun to drive this car on highways & in City Traffic @ 20kmph, you can still drive the Car on 3rd or even 4th Gear, which is no way possible with any of my Maruti Car.
These are purely my Objervations...
Old 27th February 2012, 14:48   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post

- the car being leased I would not like to invest extra in the car to add accessories so should give the most out of the standard car.

Thanks to help me make my decision as I have to finalise on one in 2 weeks time to book through lease plan.
Since you already own a Swift,I would suggest you to look at Dzire ZDI/Polo highline.

- Both of it has a comparable boot space
- Both of it has more or less same rear leg space and is better than a Swift
- On the drive and handling, Polo definitely has the edge over Dzire, but the national engine in Dzire would definitely trump the Polo's 3 cylinder engine.
- Polo has an additional flexibility of folding the rear seats for airport runs, which Dzire does not have.
- Polo has a sparser equipment list out of the two. From what I remember, you will miss the Auto Climate Control, Full size alloy spare wheel and steering mounted audio controls present in the Dzire.

If you want a real driver's car, you might want to add Polo 1.6 as well to the list.
cruiser_1982 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 18:36   #199
BANNED

Saw one white DZire on road. Seems 1000 times better than the old one from side and back, IMO.
Old 27th February 2012, 18:42   #200
BHPian

Last weekend we tried a couple of the big dealers for a Dzire DDIS test drive, both claimed they don't even have a demo piece, yet one of them was delivering 3 ZDIs on that evening, seems that people don't even need to do a TD before picking up one.

The claim from the dealer was the Maruti had not sent the stickering for the demo car, I was wondering how the stickering was going to change between the petrol and the diesel. I guess they managed to sell off even the demo piece before it got the stickers on.

We finally managed to get a TD of the VVT inside the compound, this is one easy car to drive and park, I guess the auto variant will find a lot of favour with personal drivers.

The beige alone seems to lift the cabin atmosphere even though the space is about the same as in the Swift. I think Maruti can get away with the premium over Swift considering how many people were making enquiries about the Dzire.

Last edited by indivic : 27th February 2012 at 18:44.
Old 27th February 2012, 18:56   #201
Senior - BHPian

Am yet to see a new Dzire in Chennai, but spotted 2 new ones without regn. on a 30-min highway drive in Kerala. Looked good, especially from the rear (as seen in my RVM).

However, I doubt whether the new one would be as big a hit as the older one. Reason being that a friend who liked the old_Dzire (did not find it bad in looks), checked out the new one and was disappointed by the lack of boot. His comment was that he would rather take the Swift, given the low boot space in Dzire and the fact that Swift would be cheaper + has option to fold down seats to take in luggage. Would be interesting to see what reception this new Dzire gets in the market.
Old 27th February 2012, 21:27   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilind View Post
I have Maruti Alto for last 8 Yrs ,Wagon R for 3 yrs & Toyota Etios for more than 1 Year & on account of ***, i feel Toyota is miles ahead of Maruti on Customer Service part, This is purely based on my expereince with Sai Service, which is one of the Best recognised Dealers for Maruti.
The Cost of Spares, Toyota no doubt is costlier than Maruti & that because of availablity of non Genuene Maruti Spares plenty in market, which forces Maruti to keep its price down.
The Problems with Etios is inferior quality Plastic & high NVH ( which can be controled by using 3M Coatings ) otherwise on account of Space & fun quotient its better than Dzire.
with 1.5 Ltr Engine & better weigt to power ratio, its real fun to drive this car on highways & in City Traffic @ 20kmph, you can still drive the Car on 3rd or even 4th Gear, which is no way possible with any of my Maruti Car.
These are purely my Objervations...
I agree with your observations lmilind... I think I have mentioned the same thing in my booking experience
Old 27th February 2012, 22:26   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982

Since you already own a Swift,I would suggest you to look at Dzire ZDI/Polo highline.

That is true I am also keen on either Polo or Dzire.

- Both of it has a comparable boot space
- Both of it has more or less same rear leg space and is better than a Swift
- On the drive and handling, Polo definitely has the edge over Dzire, but the national engine in Dzire would definitely trump the Polo's 3 cylinder engine.
- Polo has an additional flexibility of folding the rear seats for airport runs, which Dzire does not have.
- Polo has a sparser equipment list out of the two. From what I remember, you will miss the Auto Climate Control, Full size alloy spare wheel and steering mounted audio controls present in the Dzire.

Auto climate control is not yet a necessity for me ;-) so I can give it a miss. Spare wheel even if not a proper alloy wheel is OK with me. Steering mounted audio controls now come with Polo Highline 2012 so that should not be a problem anymore.

If you want a real driver's car, you might want to add Polo 1.6 as well to the list.
Thanks for suggesting Polo 1.6. I think Polo 1.6 would be definitely preferred compared to a 3 pot 1.2 L diesel engine.

My driving on a daily basis is around 40 Kms so does it make sense to go for petrol? Is a higher CC diesel engine expected from Volkswagen for Polo this year?
Old 28th February 2012, 00:22   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilind View Post
I have Maruti Alto for last 8 Yrs ,Wagon R for 3 yrs & Toyota Etios for more than 1 Year...

The Cost of Spares, Toyota no doubt is costlier than Maruti..
You are doing a mistake by comparing the spare prices of Etios with cars which are 2/3 segments lower. That's bound to be lower in such cases. You should ideally compare the Etios spare prices to Swift / Dzire and I can guarantee that Toyota prices will be cheaper or very very competitive. Swift/Dzire is NOT exactly cheap to maintain with a 3.5K/6.5K bills for 10K/20K services !

Quote:

1. Swift / Punto 90HP / Polo 1.6
2. Figo D [Vista for excellent space]
3. Vista
4. Any top variant for these cars will be properly loaded. Punto has an edge here.

Now please make a choice!

To be frank, all your criteria will NOT be met together at any cost and I suggest you open up a new thread in the "What car" section and am sure you will get a lot more help!

Quote:
My driving on a daily basis is around 40 Kms so does it make sense to go for petrol? Is a higher CC diesel engine expected from Volkswagen for Polo this year?
Diesel will NOT be a bad idea for your running, especially if the bills are NOT reimbursed. No confirmation on the 1.5L Polo D yet.
Old 28th February 2012, 01:05   #205
BHPian

If petrol is what you can adjust with then why not the Jazz? It might not be an outright driver's car but should fulfil all other criteria.

For a diesel, dzire should be the car
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 09:06   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

1. Swift / Punto 90HP / Polo 1.6
2. Figo D [Vista for excellent space]
3. Vista
4. Any top variant for these cars will be properly loaded. Punto has an edge here.
Punto is a good car but not keen because of it being an old generation model compared to Swift 2012 and Polo. If Evo Punto was here then it would have been a part of my selection list.

My petrol bills can be reimbursed so no issue on that.

Anyways thanks I will take a call between Polo 1.6 or 1.2 based on the feedbacks received yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick
If petrol is what you can adjust with then why not the Jazz? It might not be an outright driver's car but should fulfil all other criteria.

For a diesel, dzire should be the car
Jazz again has been chalked out as it has been on the Indian roads already for a long time and most important wife doesn't like the looks :-)
Old 28th February 2012, 11:41   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Swift/Dzire is NOT exactly cheap to maintain with a 3.5K/6.5K bills for 10K/20K services !
Are the above cost figures for a petrol or diesel Dzire?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st March 2012 at 09:10. Reason: fixed quote tags :)
Old 28th February 2012, 13:05   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You should ideally compare the Etios spare prices to Swift / Dzire and I can guarantee that Toyota prices will be cheaper or very very competitive.
I beg to differ here.

Maruti's Made In India models' spare parts cost peanuts compared to Toyotas.

More important is the fact that there are authorised spare parts stockists for Maruti ; gives one an option of buying genuine parts and getting the job done at any preferred workshop.

Toyota? great only in overseas markets where genuine parts are available off the shelf ; not the case in India.
Old 28th February 2012, 15:22   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhuG View Post
Are the above cost figures for a petrol or diesel Dzire?
Diesel. Petrol should be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I beg to differ here.

Maruti's Made In India models' spare parts cost peanuts compared to Toyotas.
Examples please - that will help me understand better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
More important is the fact that there are authorised spare parts stockists for Maruti ; gives one an option of buying genuine parts and getting the job done at any preferred workshop.
How many people get their work done like that? 20% of the entire owners? So lets take the case of average joes who take their vehicles to authorized A$$ for servicing.

In addition to this, my comments were based on the regular service costs.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th February 2012 at 15:25.
Old 28th February 2012, 16:41   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Examples please - that will help me understand better!

How many people get their work done like that? 20% of the entire owners? So lets take the case of average joes who take their vehicles to authorized A$$ for servicing.
You're right ; I forgot for a moment that I have to look at average Joes and not the more informed ones.

On the examples front,I don't have data for the Etios to prove my point .

But I can say with conviction that the overall cost of ownership of a Maruti is way way lower that an equivalent car from any other manufacturer ; and I speak from experience and feedback.

Anyways,here are a few examples for MGPs for the old Swift DZire petrol to start with - am sure the Etios can't get anywhere near that (except , of course , with counterfeit parts).
  1. Oil filter - 80
  2. Air filter 190
  3. spark plugs300
  4. brake pads 1200
  5. side mirror 950
  6. headlamp assly 2500
  7. taillight assembly 1300
  8. Front bumper 2200
  9. front fender 1400
  10. radiator 2920
Product to product,the DZire is leagues ahead of the Etios in terms of quality of fit.The only areas where the Etios scores well is interior space and engine displacement.

I spend at least 10 hours a week at my friends' garages(and my friends are honest and competent guys) and see Marutis, Hyundais,Tatas,Toyotas, Hondas, Skodas, coming to him for jobs ; they are most pleased with availability and cost of Maruti spares.

A Dzire which was smashed by some goons was done up -bonnet,headlights,taillights,bootlid , all glasses and the paint job was all done within 40k.

Last edited by vigsom : 28th February 2012 at 16:59. Reason: addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks