Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2023, 21:54   #5341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Varta battery in my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI purchased in December 2019 suddenly died on me. I went to a cousin's place for a function. When I gave the keys to their driver for parking, it refused to start. The break down service guy tried to jump start the car with one of those portable starters. The engine fired but the car was not moving after engaging the gear. The console was showing all kinds of errors. Got the car towed to authorized service center on a flat bed. Got the battery replaced with OEM Varta battery for 12K. The car is back on the road now.

Is it normal for DSG transmission to not work when the battery dies? Is towing the only option? I was thinking even installing a new battery wouldn't have helped me out of the situation unless a computer is connected and the errors are cleared. How can one be prepared for these kinds of incidents? Luckily I was with in city and not traveling outside the city.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 3rd March 2023 at 22:11.
Old 3rd March 2023, 22:04   #5342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
The console was showing all kinds of errors.
The console shows all kinds of errors in case of battery failure. Once connected to a new/proper battery, the errors go away after a few minutes on their own. I have observed this twice on my 2016 octavia 1.8 tsi.
Old 15th March 2023, 09:07   #5343
BHPian

After 3 plus years of flawless functioning, Skoda decided to break the flow and make some trouble. Got into the car this morning as usual and when I try to crank it, it just makes a clicking sound and not cranking. The EPC and engine light are on. Cycling the ignition is not helping. Going by reports online, seems to be a battery issue (?). Will need to call the ASC guys to have a look as it is still under warranty.
Old 15th March 2023, 10:24   #5344
BHPian

Varta batteries seem to be programmed to die either 2 years or 3 years after you buy your car. And that too with no indications at all.

I had this happen twice with my Jetta, post which I moved to an Amaron battery and have had no issues for the last 5 years.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 09:14   #5345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
After 3 plus years of flawless functioning, Skoda decided to break the flow and make some trouble. Got into the car this morning as usual and when I try to crank it, it just makes a clicking sound and not cranking. The EPC and engine light are on. Cycling the ignition is not helping. Going by reports online, seems to be a battery issue (?). Will need to call the ASC guys to have a look as it is still under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Varta batteries seem to be programmed to die either 2 years or 3 years after you buy your car. And that too with no indications at all.

I had this happen twice with my Jetta, post which I moved to an Amaron battery and have had no issues for the last 5 years.
Update to my issue: ASC guys take the extreme view always and told they will send a flat bed to get the car towed to the ASC. I called a nearby battery dealer and he checked that the voltage was just 10.5 and 1 cell seems to have gone bad. He jump started it and I took it without issues to the ASC.

They confirmed the battery issue and forced me to take the new battery from them. I explicitly told them that the batteries they are refusing to entertain (like Exide and Amaron) are giving 5 year warranties while their crappy Varta doesn't even have confidence to give a 3 year warranty (new battery has only 2 year warranty). He didn't have any justification for that.

One thing i learnt is that they do some battery adaptation after fitting the battery which is why they don't encourage getting the batteries changed from out. I really don't think that that step is really required (maybe just to make money - they charged some 1500 extra for that). Does anyone else been told the same thing or done that step when installing batteries from out?

Total cost came to 14800 for something which is destined to last for 2-3 years. But since I have gone with extended warranty till 6 years, my hands are sort of tied as they stated that they will void any electrical warranty if I get the battery changed from out.

@mav2000 - does the Jetta also have the 72ah battery? How much did the Amaron cost you?

Last edited by praveen789 : 17th March 2023 at 09:17.
Old 17th March 2023, 11:15   #5346
BHPian

Quote:
Got the battery replaced with OEM Varta battery for 12K.
Can you share your bill if it is handy? I am wondering why i was overcharged by 3000 for changing the same battery.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda.jpg
Old 17th March 2023, 17:50   #5347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share your bill if it is handy? I am wondering why i was overcharged by 3000 for changing the same battery.
Sharing my invoice
Name:  Screenshot 20230317 174729.png
Views: 718
Size:  104.3 KB
satish_appasani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 11:12   #5348
BHPian

The Varta batteries are useless. Batteries lasting less than two years in this day and age speaks badly about their quality.
The OE Varta battery which came with my 2015 Octavia TDi was replaced by Skoda while the vehicle was 18 month old. The replaced battery lasted roughly for about the same duration.
I had changed to Amaron DIN65 battery on recommendation from the Skoda service personnel and this battery has lasted close to 42 months. During the 40th month onwards the cranks started to take a longer duration especially during the mornings. Got the battery checked and replaced it with an Amaron Hi life Pro DIN74 battery this time around.
Since the DIN65 battery was covered under pro rata warranty I got the DIN74 at a discounted price of ₹9000/-
The MRP was ₹12529/-
The DIN74 was again recommend by the service personnel and it did fit well in the compartment. Unfortunately the felt cover had to be removed.
Vj13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 14:18   #5349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Varta battery in my Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI purchased in December 2019 suddenly died on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_deo View Post
The console shows all kinds of errors in case of battery failure. Once connected to a new/proper battery, the errors go away after a few minutes on their own. I have observed this twice on my 2016 octavia 1.8 tsi.
Quote:
After 3 plus years of flawless functioning, Skoda decided to break the flow and make some trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Quote:
Total cost came to 14800 for something which is destined to last for 2-3 years. But since I have gone with extended warranty till 6 years, my hands are sort of tied as they stated that they will void any electrical warranty if I get the battery changed from out.
Quote:
Can you share your bill if it is handy? I am wondering why i was overcharged by 3000 for changing the same battery
Quote:
Sharing my invoice
Attachment 2430016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vj13 View Post
The OE Varta battery which came with my 2015 Octavia TDi was replaced by Skoda while the vehicle was 18 month old. The replaced battery lasted roughly for about the same duration.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5383966 (Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen))

Welcome to the Skoda Dead Battery Society! There are subtle signs around 2-3 years with slightly delayed cranking and some weird fleeting warning messages on the MFD.

Best of luck!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 14:30   #5350
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2429936
This is from my recent service, in January 23, at Brite Skoda Noida. I was charged Rs. 11926/- for the battery and Rs. 513/- as labour for the replacement. I frowned upon the skoda team for charging labour separately when they are already charging me for the complete service but I guess I have been charged the lowest of the lot here.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-c4450af883e74952be3a9d9e9e0b4e08.jpeg  

ShivWason17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 22:12   #5351
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2429936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivWason17 View Post
This is from my recent service, in January 23, at Brite Skoda Noida. I was charged Rs. 11926/- for the battery and Rs. 513/- as labour for the replacement. I frowned upon the skoda team for charging labour separately when they are already charging me for the complete service but I guess I have been charged the lowest of the lot here.
Mine in November'22 (Ring Road Skoda - Gurgaon) had the exact same charges. I did a preventive replacement of a perfectly working battery at 3.2 years. Since they don't pay anything for the old battery, I asked them to return it to me. When I tried to sell it, it was a full dead battery, reasons are anyone's guess.
Old 20th March 2023, 11:55   #5352
BHPian

Hello members,
I’ve found this issue in my car that whenever it’s washed, there will be water stuck below the fuel cap. After trying to clean I found this pipe and it’s filled with dust and grease. This is a 2014 car. Is there a way to get this cleaned or is it to be replaced?Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-835c9055425b41a0a2968288a27a54c1.jpeg
Old 20th March 2023, 18:30   #5353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulRV View Post
Is there a way to get this cleaned or is it to be replaced?
I poke the dirt out with a twig if I see water accumulated in there. Another thing that works is pressurised water being sprayed through the pipe via the drain hole in the fuel filler area. However, all of these are temporary and dirt will continue to accumulate there.

A funny side note: My petrol pump attendant has also started cleaning the drain after seeing me do it so many times. We both laugh over it every time he finds water under the filler flap.

Last edited by revsperminute : 20th March 2023 at 18:32.
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 21:02   #5354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulRV View Post
After trying to clean I found this pipe and it’s filled with dust and grease.
Main purpose of this pipe is to remove any fuel spillage.

Dusty air and daily car wash will certainly over time cause the muck to choke it up.

Try cleaning the opening and that should get it sorted.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 11:05   #5355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vj13 View Post
The Varta batteries are useless.

Since the DIN65 battery was covered under pro rata warranty I got the DIN74 at a discounted price of ₹9000/-
The MRP was ₹12529/-
The DIN74 was again recommend by the service personnel and it did fit well in the compartment. Unfortunately the felt cover had to be removed.
Ofcourse, Varta batteries are useless. Also the sensitivity of the sensors/electronics too play spoilsport as the voltage range for proper operations is very narrow.

On the Pro DIN74, post the replacement was any coding required? Doesn't Octavia has some code which limits or keeps open the charging based on the battery status and with new battery replacement does this need to be reset to new or normal? And is this the reason for faster battery degradation.

I too faced this issue, first one replaced under 2 years on goodwill+1.5k and that too died in 30 months are so. Went with Amaron, though vehicle is in extended warranty till next month. Same issue of slightly bigger form factor, but was able to fit the felt after opening the glued part. Got all weird sensors go off for some time. But all settled okay in about 2-3 mins. Hoping that this one lasts for next 25 months (already 15 months done)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks