Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 15:15   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj123 View Post
The seating position was a bit weird for me atleast. Could not see even the bonnet top (unlike in my other cars). Wasn't really a problem while driving though, just need to be more conservative in estimating where the bonnet/bumper ends.
The seating position will be fine once you gel with your vehicle.I'm 5'6",never had a problem with my Ritz,no scrapings whatsoever.Due to high set dashboard,you might not be able to see the bonnet.

Quote:
What we didn't like:
The #1 issue was the clutch position. Was ok for me, probably cause i was wearing shoes. But wifey was not at all happy, said it was tiring even in the 10-15 mins she drove.
It could get tiring if driven in bumper to bumper traffic but then you'll get used to it,trust me.

Quote:
The front pillars are a bit thick, and sort of reminded me of a relative's Zen Estilo we had driven for a couple of days. There is a blind spot when someone (specially two-wheelers) coming from the front side turn towards you. Similarly, the rear window is on smaller side effecting the rear visibility.
Ya,the A pillars are way too thick and it engulfs a biker with his bike but if one moves a little forward(peeps ahead),the issue is resolved.As far as rear visibility is concerned,use both the ORVMs and for reversing,get a parking sensor installed.

Quote:
Noticed the issue mentioned in this thread about having to be extra careful while opening the rear doors.
If one is not cautious,then you need not go to your dentist for tooth extraction.

Lets see what you end up purchasing.Happy hunting.
Old 10th October 2011, 20:52   #722
BHPian

@akj123:

The Jazz is a far superior product, in my opinion, compared with the Ritz, in matters pertaining to cabin/boot space. The space utilization on the Jazz is astounding, given the fact that it is almost the size of a Swift. Also, even the base Jazz model has all the safety fitments included.

Having said that, the Ritz is also a very capable product and could be in your garage far sooner, as the Jazz has a reportedly a long, long waiting list.
Old 10th October 2011, 23:02   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The seating position will be fine once you gel with your vehicle.I'm 5'6",never had a problem with my Ritz,no scrapings whatsoever.Due to high set dashboard,you might not be able to see the bonnet.
Yes, it was a bit unnerving bit didn't cause any issues while driving.

Quote:
As far as rear visibility is concerned,use both the ORVMs and for reversing,get a parking sensor installed.
Yes, i think reverse parking sensors could be useful. Never used them before though, let's see how effective they are. I feel i need a couple of sensors on the sides of the front bumper also, since my parking slot is really painful - i need to reverse park into a maze of pillars

Quote:
Lets see what you end up purchasing.Happy hunting.
Thanks for your wishes. team-bhp really rocks, it's great to read in so much detail about every car and really appreciate the way bhp-ians help out in solving others qs/issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
@akj123:

The Jazz is a far superior product, in my opinion, compared with the Ritz, in matters pertaining to cabin/boot space. The space utilization on the Jazz is astounding, given the fact that it is almost the size of a Swift. Also, even the base Jazz model has all the safety fitments included.

Having said that, the Ritz is also a very capable product and could be in your garage far sooner, as the Jazz has a reportedly a long, long waiting list.
Yes, i agree this is a tough one. Based on the official Jazz review and the excellent ownership threads, I also feel jazz best suits my requirements (well built and safe hatch for 80-90% city driving, boot space and hassle-free A.S.S). However, i am definitely worried from A.S.S. aspect since the car has not been selling well - there is a definite risk that spares could be a problem few years down the line. IMHO, this is one area in which Ritz simply shines and outscores Jazz.

Planning a Jazz TD coming weekend, let's see if it reduces or increases the confusion
Old 11th October 2011, 00:20   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Planning a Jazz TD coming weekend, let's see if it reduces or increases the confusion
Well IMHO, Jazz TD will not reduce your confusion, it will increase it

I always feel this, you can never get everything perfect with one car, so you need to give points to your priorities and compromise a bit.

If Boot space is more important to you, then waiting for jazz and paying the extra cash of about 1+lakh is worth it.

But if things like overall cost of ownership, FE, Inital cost, Resale value etc are in your mind and if these factors weigh more points, then your pick should be Ritz ZXI (ZXI because of safety and wider tyres) You can opt for the VXI-ABS and upgrade your tyres on day one(very much required)

Cheers
Old 12th October 2011, 12:53   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Akj. First of all, best of luck for your hunt. No matter what decision you take, you will emerge as a winner.
If you are confused between two or more cars, please visit the respective showrooms and have a look at all the cars within a span of 2-3 hours. It will definitely help you in arriving at final decision! It has worked for me.
Old 12th October 2011, 14:41   #726
BHPian

Took delivery of my Ritz VXI on 1st Oct.
Initial Impressions ->

+ve
- Excellent ingress and egress
- Good road presence
- Split seats are a boon, though the strap to make the split is poor
- Very good legroom
- 3 people can sit in rear with ok comfort.
- Engine is great, can be revved like other Jap Engines.
- Awesome Tachopod, perfect for those precise gear shift at 2-2.5K rpm mark
- Steering doesn't feel like EPS at all, feels more like hydraulic and is indeed heavy.
- High GC is a boon on less than perfect roads.
- Gear shift quality is un-Maruti like, joy to use. Still no where close to i10.

-ve
- Clutch is hard
- Brakes are okayish
- Why can't maruti provide body colored handles and OVRMs on VXI, really this is real cheap tactic.
- Rear view is one of the worst I have encountered.
- Suspension makes weird sounds when the car passes through village roads with uneven potholes.Almost feels like something hitting the bottom , thought it is always the suspension making the sound.
- No temp gauge

Fuel efficiency -
- after 325km the fuel gauge is at half level.So a wild approximation would be close to ~15kmpl in city driving, with AC on 90% of the time. This includes idling in a very bad traffic jam for close to an hour or so.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:39   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Initial Impressions ->

Fuel efficiency -
- after 325km the fuel gauge is at half level.So a wild approximation would be close to ~15kmpl in city driving, with AC on 90% of the time. This includes idling in a very bad traffic jam for close to an hour or so.
Congrats on your new purchase!
You have made a good decision. You are getting good FE for a new car. Also, you could go for after-market anti-glare mirrors for better view. You can find the details in my ownership thread.
Which color did you go for? Also, what accessories did you install?
Old 12th October 2011, 18:37   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panko

Congrats on your new purchase!
You have made a good decision. You are getting good FE for a new car. Also, you could go for after-market anti-glare mirrors for better view. You can find the details in my ownership thread.
Which color did you go for? Also, what accessories did you install?
Thanks panko.
I have not added any accessories as of now.but a budget ICE and seat covers are priority. Tyre upgrade later.
Also fwiw I rarely touch 3k rpm which maximises FE.

Do share some tips to new owners like me.

Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 19:18   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback
acroback, Congrats on the Ritz.

So did you cancel your booking for the Brio? Or is the Maruti going to share space with the Honda?

Quote:
Gear shift quality is un-Maruti like, joy to use. Still no where close to i10.
The shifting will get better after the free service. It won't be as easy to shift as the Polo or i10, but it will feel like a well oiled Rifle. It needs some effort, but you'll start to enjoy it.
Old 12th October 2011, 21:12   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
acroback, Congrats on the Ritz.

So did you cancel your booking for the Brio? Or is the Maruti going to share space with the Honda?

The shifting will get better after the free service. It won't be as easy to shift as the Polo or i10, but it will feel like a well oiled Rifle. It needs some effort, but you'll start to enjoy it.
thanks Deetjohn.

Yes I have cancelled Brio booking. I am not pleased with lacklustre launch of Brio. After 2 weeks of launch still no TD vehicle, what kind of joke is this. Eon is going to launch tomorrow and I can see them already at Hyundai showrooms.

What exactly do they do in first service apart from usual cleaning? Do they clean gearbox too?
Old 13th October 2011, 10:37   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What exactly do they do in first service apart from usual cleaning? Do they clean gearbox too?
I don't think MASS does anything to the gearbox during free service. But what I meant was, as and when you gain more miles on your car, the gear shifting will just get better with usage.
Old 13th October 2011, 15:22   #732
Senior - BHPian

I have 2010 Ritz Lxi, which is running on CNG, yesterday while coming back from office I felt that my AC is not cooling. In the morning while going to office it was working absolutely fine, so it rules out gradual decrease in cooling efficiency over a period of time. My car has done only 15000 kms.

I am planning to get the same checked on Sunday with MASS, just wanted to see if any of the Ritz owners have experienced any such thing and what could be the reason of this malfunction?
Old 13th October 2011, 16:32   #733
Senior - BHPian

An intermittently cooling a/c usually represents an over heating engine. What is the coolant level in your car?

If this is the first time you had experienced it, then i guess it is a one off incident. But do keep an eye. How is the performance of your car with lpg?
Old 13th October 2011, 21:28   #734
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
just wanted to see if any of the Ritz owners have experienced any such thing and what could be the reason of this malfunction?

Well its not just the Ritz, almost all cars stop cooling, when there is too much pressure on the cooling system, normally happens on long drives in hot weather.

It happens on all my cars, in case you faced this under similar testing circumstances, you can try by, switching the AC off for 2-3 mins and switch it on again. It should pick up the cooling again gradually.
Old 14th October 2011, 09:46   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
An intermittently cooling a/c usually represents an over heating engine. What is the coolant level in your car?
Coolant level is fine, as I keep checking it apart from this car got serviced at around 13k Kms. Usually on CNG the car engine operates at a higher temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
If this is the first time you had experienced it, then i guess it is a one off incident. But do keep an eye. How is the performance of your car with lpg?
There is no drastic decrease in terms of performance while running on CNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Well its not just the Ritz, almost all cars stop cooling, when there is too much pressure on the cooling system, normally happens on long drives in hot weather.

It happens on all my cars, in case you faced this under similar testing circumstances, you can try by, switching the AC off for 2-3 mins and switch it on again. It should pick up the cooling again gradually.
I tried that basic trouble shooting apart from that I felt the lack of cooling from the word go. It seems to be related with engine temperature, will get the car checked for AC at MASS and will also take it to installer for general tuning.

I will update the thread with further developments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks