Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2019, 13:48   #10936
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhappyharsha View Post
My wheel alignment was done along with the last service when they advised this change. Should I still refer this to someone else?
I'd recommend you take a second opinion. They say that the bearings make audible noise before they go totally bad. Frankly, I didn't here any noise thanks to mine being a diesel and I drive with windows rolled up.

Quote:
Also, where did you buy the after market spares? online?
The FNG guy bought them for me. However, they should be available with any reputable spares shop.
Old 10th December 2019, 13:58   #10937
BANNED

Quote:
Hello every one. My Figo (2010 ZXI model) has been advised of replacing the wheel bearings (all 4). It is making a lot of noise at >40 speeds.
Please get a second opinion. I don't think all 4 wheel bearings will fail in a single shot. Go to any competent wheel alignment shop and ask them to check individually for all wheels by raising the car off-ground. Accordingly change the bearing that is shot.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th December 2019 at 16:22. Reason: typo edited
Old 10th December 2019, 14:58   #10938
Senior - BHPian

Raising the car and then check if the wheels have play laterally can also point to a failure.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th December 2019 at 19:59. Reason: As requested.
Old 2nd March 2020, 21:24   #10939
BHPian

Recently my 8yr old Figo TDCi started giving rattles of some metal type noise from rear, it was little persistent on rough roads. While I for irritated, reluctantly reconciled to myself that may be the car is starting to develop some rattles due to age after 85k on odo.

I observed the noise closely and got a sense that the rattle may be due to the rear number plate which is metal IND type. Unscrewed the number plate, and re-fitted back. The noise is gone.

Its just engine and tyre noise now. Kudos to Ford for the quality levels. Though there is nothing fancy in 1st gen Figo, reliability is very much a strong point.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like this....

Last edited by ampere : 2nd March 2020 at 21:37. Reason: dotty post
vishchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 23:44   #10940
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Just wanted to check if people are using System D for the Figo tdci 1.4. My car is nearing 79500 clicks on the odo, and the last I had used was around 3.5 years ago. I don't remember if it improved FE, as the car was with my daughter in Bangalore.

I see that it is available on Amazon now.
Old 4th March 2020, 16:10   #10941
kkg
BHPian

I have used Liqui Molly diesel additive twice in last six months and my Figo is around 80k now. The engine has become a bit smoother and the black soot upon hard acceleration has reduced significantly.

I am very much satisfied with it and regarding FE, it increases marginally in first tankful but eventually becomes as it was earlier.Hope it helps....
kkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 21:49   #10942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I have used Liqui Molly diesel additive twice in last six months and my Figo is around 80k now. The engine has become a bit smoother and the black soot upon hard acceleration has reduced significantly.

I am very much satisfied with it and regarding FE, it increases marginally in first tankful but eventually becomes as it was earlier.Hope it helps....
Thanks. How old is your Figo? I want to know if at the 80k kms service this month, I should change the timing belt. The car is of October 2012 vintage.

And how much did it cost? Should I take preventive measures like EGR cleaning and injector cleaning? Car is running fine till now.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:12   #10943
kkg
BHPian

My Figo is May 2011 make and run around 80500kms. I have got EGR cleaned once last year and it surely helps. As far as changing Timing belt is concerned, the ASS recommends 7yrs or 1 lac kilometers whichever is earlier.

I was contemplating of changing it but have deferred it due to NGT rule which has left only one year for me. But in last service I got the Auxiliary V belt changed along with its idler and dampener pulley as it had some visible cracks. It costed me around 6k for all and I suggest you to have it looked/changed. Because if it breaks, it somehow makes it way into the timing belt and then it all creates mayhem, happened in my BIL's figo.
kkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:41   #10944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The cost of Rs 9200 included timing belt change, drive belt kit, tensioner pulley and labor. These are normally changed instead of just the belt.

The other 1000 was for change of coolant reservoir.
How long did it take? our car is touching the 1Lakh KM mark need to get the timing belt changed ASAP.
Old 6th March 2020, 15:21   #10945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
How long did it take? our car is touching the 1Lakh KM mark need to get the timing belt changed ASAP.
For Ecosport its 1L / 5yrs whichever is earlier and the workshop quoted me 25k for the whole assembly replacement
Old 6th March 2020, 16:06   #10946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
My Figo is May 2011 make and run around 80500kms. I have got EGR cleaned once last year and it surely helps. As far as changing Timing belt is concerned, the ASS recommends 7yrs or 1 lac kilometers whichever is earlier.

I was contemplating of changing it but have deferred it due to NGT rule which has left only one year for me. But in last service I got the Auxiliary V belt changed along with its idler and dampener pulley as it had some visible cracks. It costed me around 6k for all and I suggest you to have it looked/changed. Because if it breaks, it somehow makes it way into the timing belt and then it all creates mayhem, happened in my BIL's figo.
Thanks. I already changed the drive belt and associated parts when the odo was 40000 kms, and this was when the car was less than 4 years old. Don't think I'll need to change it again, but I'll check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Left the car at 1 pm, got it back next day at 4 pm. This was in March, 2017.
Old 7th March 2020, 13:00   #10947
BHPian

I have changed timing belt in my Figo (2011, TDCI), last year when my car was 8 years and 86K old. It costed me 19,810.

Timing Belt Kit - Belt, Idler and Tensioner + Water Pump Assembly + Labour Charges = 11,655 + 5,655 + 2,500.
Old 8th April 2020, 19:01   #10948
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Ford Figo TDCI - Memoir of a faithful companion

Alert! This post will have no format or narrative, just random thoughts and chronicles of things my human brain can recall about my 9-year ownership of Ford Figo TDCI (First gen).

There are things in life that 'Just Happen'. No planning, no thoughts given, they just happen.
For me, getting my white little beauty was one such thing in my life. Other such things- well, will save it for some other thread.

Lot has been said, written, discussed and debated on this small offering from FORD. I will not get into reviewing the car as this has been done fabulously by our Team BHP reviewers and other passionate owners.
This short writing will be my viewpoint of my pretty little Figo. Don’t expect Instagram worthy pictures or smashing modification details as they haven’t been done on my car.
I will try to keep it simple and honest which can help some Figo owner or Ford enthusiasts kill some time reading about what they had owned and admired, Or help someone who is daring to get a used first gen Figo.

They say, good things come in small packages. I realized it when we had our first daughter. Again, realized when we had our second daughter. Now I am realizing when I was contemplating to sell my Figo. This prompted me to finally get my T-BHP membership approved and write this post.

Here is a brief introduction about my automotive journey so far,
Being from a middle class family, exposure to automobiles was very limited during childhood. My dad had a Bajaj Chetak which was like universal soldier. It was used for various purposes. Apart from hauling full family around city, to grandparent’s place, It was used to get water from Kaveri river if there was no water supply any given day. In fact, our house was right next to a check-dam of Kaveri river. We could hear the river sound at night from our room. If power goes off in night, my dad used to start the Chetak and keep it in running with headlight ON till my mom could light lamps at home. Chetak was used to ferry cloths to nearby river/canal for weekly laundry.
Later, we moved to city. Dad sold his scooter. We were dependent on public transport.

In between, Luna came into our lives. Sister got it as brand new. It was handed over for my tuition duties for twelfth standard. For all the troubles it gave me - I can write a book titled “my experiments with LUNA”. Hero Puch happened in engineering first year. Hero Honda passion since year 2000 till I moved on to Bullet Electra in 2008.

Somewhere in between, got hold of a Yezdi Roadking through my trusted mechanic. I got it for a pittance. Spent bare minimum to change tyres and cables. That’s all. Even today, it starts which few compression kicks and generous dose of choke. ‘THAT’ two stroke feeling, nothing can beat it. Even my cast iron Bullet does not give the pleasure, what a 20 year old Yezdi gives.
In between my brother’s friend had a barely used Ninja 250r. Got tempted and bought it too. I have couple of bicycles too.
To sum it up, I am more of a rider than a driver.

Still, Figo is different. It gives the kind of feeling which you get when you ride your favorite motorcycle. This I am telling after using it for 9 long years and more than one lakh kms.
Let’s begin with how I ended up buying Figo. My friend who did his masters in USA and working over there, had to relocate to India. He was deciding which car to buy and asked to join him for test drive of Figo. I agreed and we were at Ford dealership. Formalities done, and test ride started. Halfway through the test drive, he says that ‘he is used to driving only left-hand driving cars as in US’. This he tells when we were in thick of Bannerghatta road traffic ! Some how he manages to drive the pre decided route and we are on our way back to showroom. While crossing the partitioned road and taking right hand turn to join the flowing traffic, unlike USA where there are no pushcart vendors, here bang at the left lane, there is a pushcart vendor happily standing without caring about merging vehicles. Our test drive car’s left mirror hits the edge of his cart and gets detached and started dangling. Small scene created. Pushcart guy asking for money as if his BMW is scratched. We argued with him and returned to showroom. Now the sales guy says – ‘ Sir, if you buy the car, we will waive off the mirror repair amount’. All said and done, my friend was impressed with the car and decided to buy petrol variant, full cash.
During all these, I was silently observing the features, how ford has managed to keep the costs low by localization, cabin space, decent interiors, usable boot space and more.
To be frank, I was not aware of electronic power steering, hydraulic power steering, turbo nothing. One thing just pulled me. The seat folding feature. As I had a pet, who I couldn’t leave in Bangalore, when I travel to hometown. I felt, I can use this for taking along my pet with me. Even then, I was not planning to buy a car. It all happened one day, when my brother who is a doctor, got to know that me and my wife are still using our bullet to commute, when we are expecting our first baby. Got a earful from my brother and then started car search.
Car search was very simple. Within the budget I had, couldn’t afford a SUV and hence settled for Figo. Didn’t even test drive other brands. Just went to Ford, paid booking amount and selected Diamond white color diesel EXI model. Loan was from HDFC. All went smooth and the car delivery date approached. That is when Murphy’s law kicked in. Out of nowhere, critical work came up and I had to be in front of laptop most part of the day. I just went for 1 hour during lunch break to complete buying formalities and asked the showroom to deliver the car to my doorstep. My first car and can’t even take delivery from showroom hmm. But sometimes ‘Life’s like that’. Went to temple and got the puja done. It even showered on the day of car delivery (in February), for which temple priest said that ‘its good omen’. I believed so.

Figo is inherently safe. I bought a car when I had not craved for a car. Nor did I do any kind of research on available options in that segment at that time. Got it delivered to home and didn’t feel too bad about it. May be because I was a rider than a driver.

After purchasing, I started devouring page after page of first gen Figo review and ownership experiences in T-BHP. Slowly started getting more and more knowledge about this car. Well its FORD. Company pioneer in four wheelers. If not all, some percent of DNA ought to be passed on to this little car. This I can confirm whole heartedly after driving it for 9 years and more than a lac kms.

I said ‘SAFE', because you can’t go really fast without having ABS. With mere 68 bhp @ 4k rpm. To attain high speeds, you need long stretch of empty road and you need to work the gears pretty much too. If you have to stop suddenly, without ABS, wheels get jammed and you skid. All these features ( or missing features I would say) have made a better driver out of me. I enjoy driving sedate, give way for cars in a hurry who keeps tagging you with their flashing lights. You realize that speeding on our roads is not worth it after you see the same hurrying guy struck at signal light just right in front of you. Also, most of the time, I take out car only for family duties. If not, bike it is. So, I am a careful driver as family is onboard most of the time. With this I have started enjoying leisurely and stress-free drives. We usually do yearly Bengaluru-Goa trips. We start from Goa after breakfast. It takes good 11 hrs to reach Bengaluru with moderate speeds in range of 80-100 kmph. Even my daughter bears this long journey albeit with some cribbing in between to gain access to mobile and i-pad. Also, what helps is the spacious cabin for a small car standard.

In-fact few of my colleagues bought Figo’s after I insisted them to take a test drive. They still thank me for that. Several times I thought of naming my Figo. But was not able to finalize and let go. For the road manners, I would call it a leech. It just sticks to road. Changing lanes is very easy and confidence inspiring. Only thing which might irritate is lack of out right power in 4th and 5th gears while overtaking. You need to downshift and get to high revs to overtake. Once you cross 2k rpm, you can enjoy the go kart like driving experience.

How I maintained the car so far:
Being my first car, It got all the attention a new car deserves from owner. Weekly washing, waxing, vacuuming, car cover when parked out, dashboard shade when parked for extended time under sun, what not.
As years passed by weekly washes have gone and car goes to professional car wash when needed.
For a car 9 years old, it is surprisingly clean, and interiors looks well maintained. Thumb rule is to get the metal scratches fixed soon and scratches on fibre parts (Bumpers, mirrors) can wait. Once gave car to 3M and they rubbed the inner roof fabric with some shampoo and the original smooth texture is gone and now it wears a bubbled look. Apart from this, car is still welcoming to sit in. Off late got the idea of replacing this with a SUV. After visiting numerous used car dealers and checking out the cars, I was surprised to see how well my little Figo has held itself against the elements. I was aghast looking at the gear knobs of few used cars. They looks so abused with faded gear numbers to deep scratches on many of them. My car gear looks NEW even today. My baby daughter first eyes it and tries to grab it as soon as she gets into car. Initially I used to drive with open windows most of the time. With increasing level of pollution and dust, switched to AC on all time and windows rolled up. I let in air every 30 mins depending on the surroundings. Had few minor scratches and dents, mainly due to apartment pillars in tight parking area. Got them all fixed at FORD ASS using insurance claims. White color is easy to maintain. You can make out when it is dirty and what kind of wash is required to bring it back to glory. Always used sonax car shampoo and washing sponge along with spray nozzle purchased from amazon.

Driving experience:
Ford India spent considerable time and research to come up with a car for Indian roads. Keeping in mind how price sensitive we are, localized lot of parts and brought down the cost. Well it all turned out good. They had very good sales in the beginning years and it got stabilized for few more years. It gave them a foot hold and helped stay afloat in the market dominated by light weight, high mileage cars from Maruti and others.

Till date, I have not regretted my decision of buying a Ford or influencing others to buy a ford. Get a smile when I see other first gen Figos on road. Any Figo, first thing I see is the front grill to check if it is first gen. That sabre tooth like grille gave a distinct characteristic to the car. I have waved, smiled, flashed lights to other Figo drivers. In fact, there are so many first gen Figos plying on road even after a decade shows how much the owners love them that they have not parted ways with them, or the build quality and ease of maintenance.

Surprisingly, the FE is good too. I have consistently gotten around 17 kmpl throughout. Envy those who quote 20 or 22 kmpl from same engine. From past 15k kms, its down to 15 kmpl as the clutch has become weak and have to drive in one lower gear than before for same speed and pickup. The clutch has lasted more than 1.07 lac kms. From 60k service onwards, Ford ASS started poking me for changing the clutch. I flatly refused as my driving style is sedate and I don’t mind slow pickup for a while. Plan to overhaul the clutch by 1.10 lac kms service. I tend to follow the philosophy - ‘Why fix something which isn’t broken’.

Gear shifts are bit notchy. May be I am not changing at correct RPM’s or something else. For reverse, have to come to neutral and then slot in reverse for proper engage.
In mountains and curvy roads, if you keep the gear at 3 and 4, can enjoy the ride very much. Body roll is minimal, and it sticks to the line like a leech. At high speeds, under sudden breaking, steering will be very heavy and not easy to change direction.
Suspension is bit on firm side. Helps in tackling bad roads and potholes well. Due to stiff suspension, it doesn’t bottom out much and helps in navigating the bad patches better.

Only grouse is the braking. Without ABS, its scary sometimes when sudden braking. Twice have had close calls.
Once while going to Kodaikanal – I was on the right most lane (next to divider) on six lane highway. Far ahead, there was a small goods auto in the middle lane. As I was approaching closer to overtake from right, the auto guy starts drifting to right slowly. There is a U turn on the highway and he wanted to go over to the other side of the road. I was at good speeds and honking didn’t help either. A moment came when I had to sever right at the U turn junction, come on his right side, over take and merge back to my lane without going over the divider on the other side of U turn. Luckily Figo’s hydraulic steering came into my rescue and was able to join back to road by missing the divider by say 5-6 inches. That was scary and my better half sitting next to me went to silent mode. I know that she is not happy when she goes into silent mode. Later on had to explain that it was not my mistake and the auto was at fault. Still, I feel I could have slowed down well in advance and things might have been in my control.

One more incident is when we were going to Trivandrum from Bangalore via Karur. We are in 4 lane highway. Some 500 mts ahead, there was a U turn and also an intersecting road from left hand side. At the edge of intersection, there was a small tree and a private bus stopped for dropping people. Apart from that it was clear and I saw an auto ( big size used to move people) approaching the highway from village road. Seeing the auto, I took off my foot from accelerator pedal. I expected the auto to stop before joining or crossing the highway. My speed was around 80 when I noticed the auto driven by a lady, oblivious to everything just entered the highway to cross and join other side. I did panic braking by pressing the brake pedal and severing to left. By this time, auto had entered to 2nd lane of highway and I missed the auto by a feet or two. My tyres made screeching sound and only then people in the auto realized and those sitting at back facing backwards with their legs dangling and feet 10 centimeters above the road, lifted their feet in horror. Luckily nothing untoward happened and my car came to a halt after some 100 mts. Since engine was off, steering got hard and was not able to move. Immediately I put hazard lights and started the car and moved to kerb of the road. Then and there I realized the importance of ABS.
Apart from these two incidents, nothing ever has happed all these years.

Repairs and maintenance
Not much I would say. It has been very reliable. Never left me stranded anywhere.
  • When odo was at 14k, there was steering rack oil leak. ASS told it’s a known issue and replaced the steering rack under warranty. Within 20k kms, there was a clank sound from suspension. They replaced the tie rods under warranty.
  • Around 80k, belt and pulley assembly were replaced.
  • Had a small crack on windshield due to stone hit, which was replaced under insurance. Cost was around 13k.
  • Around 7 yrs mark, couple of times, throttle used to get unresponsive. Throttle body sensor had the gone kaput due to dust accumulation. Got it replaced during one of the services.
  • There is a light oil vapor accumulation in engine area. When diagnosed, ASS said it is due to minor crack of the O-ring seal of oil pump. Not an issue if the oil level doesn’t go down drastically. Repair would cost 12k. But they advised to get it fixed only if there is more oil leakage, which is not the issue. Have been driving like that from past 40+ k kms.
  • Got the injectors checked and found one of them is weak. Will get all the four cleaned and see any difference.
  • Have changed tyre once at 48k kms. It came shod with MRF which were ok sorts. After reading good reviews on Michelin energy xm2 tyres, decided to upgrade the size and bought 185/65 r14 for 20k. They are nearing 60k mark and still have good 5k – 10k life. Tempted to change the tyres. Yet to decide which one to try next.

With addition of 4th family member, started hunting for bigger car. Looking for compact 4x4 which is safe and fun to drive. Hunt is still on. Till I find a worthy replacement, Figo will be my companion. Or may be keep it as second car – Why not!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo3.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo2.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo4.jpg  

HTC is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 10:15   #10949
HTC
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It’s been 1 year and 7k kms since engine mount and gear bedding mounts were replaced during last service on my 2011 Figo. This was carried as part of annual service at 1 lac kms in Mysore ford service center. Car has seen only highway runs and minimal running during covid months since March. Was observing engine bay vibration/shudder during switching off the car.

As I was in Mysore, took it for inspection. After trial run, suggested to check the mounts for vibration on start-stop and fuel injectors check for rough engine noise. Since they asked to leave the car for 2 days for injector check, I gave go ahead for only vibration check. gave the vehicle at 9:50 am. Was out of service station at 3:45 PM. between this time, they checked the gear bedding mounts and engine mounts. Gear bedding mounts seems to be fine. Engine mount had slack. They replaced it with a different one and did a trial run. Since engine mount was not in stock, put back the engine mount with slack and asked to get it replaced during service (due in 2k kms). Engine mount costs around 4.5k INR and labor cost as well. Since its past 6 months spare parts warranty, not getting replacement for free. But assured the labor cost will be reduced.

I am perplexed that the factory fitted engine mount lasted 1 lac kms and the OEM spare didn't last even 7k kms . Hope this is one off case as I plan to keep my Figo for few more years.

Anyone has the spare part number of engine mount for 2011 diesel Figo?
Old 18th June 2020, 21:23   #10950
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I need some information regarding the EGR steel piping to air inlet chamber whether it is getting hot or not when engine is idling during cold start?AFAIK EGR valve should be in closed position when idling.Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-egr-steel-piping.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks