Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2021, 10:41   #331
BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAakash View Post
Replaced my Yoko RV02 with UC6 a couple of days ago. RV02 ran 60k and still over 3 mm of tread left, but i felt that they were getting hard and compromising the ride quality. I drive an Ecosport diesel, tyres are stock sized, 205/60 R16. I paid ₹26k for them, it comes to 6500 per tyre. This price includes buyback for the old tyres, alignment, balancing, and new air valves.
Anyway, drove almost 500 km in these 2 days or so, over a wide variety of roads, country, state highways, national highways, broken mountain roads.. Almost everything.
Three things stand out for me. First, the ride quality is plush, the Yoko always had a hard edge to them, it wasn't uncomfortable, but you could just feel that 'thunk' from the suspension over sharp bumps. Now it still feels firm, but not crashy as before.
Second, they're quiet, really quiet. Sometimes on good roads, combined with the relatively plush ride, it feels like the car is gliding. The Yoko wasn't loud either, even after 60k km, but there was an underlying hum which you could hear, i wouldn't call it obtrusive though. But there's a segment of road on my daily commute of 120 km, that makes the UC6 roar, thankfully it's a fast straight and it passes in like 3 seconds.
Third, they grip well. I can feel the car changing direction quicker when i turn the steering wheel. My wife felt that i was being too aggressive with the steering inputs.
The only con i could find so far is that the steering feels a tad less chatty to me. Maybe cuz they're softer, i don't know.
All in all, a good decision, I'd say. It fixed the one problem i had with the Yokos, the silence and the grip are added benefits.
Hey, its wonderful to see this here..have been wanting to upgrade my tires for the last 3-4 months, have recently been looking around for the same. The car came with Good Years as stock and have been using them since. They've been good for the most part but somehow the feedback isn't great and post 40K kms, they felt as if they are made of Wood But the treads were goood so pushed on till 70K kms as most of my travel is in the city. Had zeroed down on RV-02(but its unavailable) as my experience with E100's on my Ford Ikon was amazing, also had S Drive on my civic, which were good but as you said it has a slight harshness to it.. So after all the R&D have finally made up my mind to go with Continental UC6. The price you have quoted is amazing, I'm getting a price of 7400-7800 for 205/60 R16. I Live in Bangalore, so if there is anyway you can help me with the place of purchase do let me know. Also i was thinking of Upsizing to 215/60 R16, wanted to understand from the community and finalise on the same.

Thanks in Advance
Old 9th January 2021, 17:41   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushiksudra View Post
I Live in Bangalore, so if there is anyway you can help me with the place of purchase do let me know. Also i was thinking of Upsizing to 215/60 R16, wanted to understand from the community and finalise on the same.

Thanks in Advance
The possible reason for me getting a good deal could be this being my 5th set of tires from the local continental store, and that my RV02 were probably good for another 10k km or so, hence the tyre shop could sell them easily. I have zero contacts in Bangalore, but I'll ask my tyre dealer if he could help!
About the upsize, personally i find the 205 section to be adequate, it offers a good balance of stance, grip and efficiency. The upgrade I'm more interested in is 205/65 R16, it'll be slightly more comfortable, and the tyre itself is significantly cheaper than a 60.

Last edited by DrAakash : 9th January 2021 at 17:46. Reason: Repetition
Old 11th January 2021, 12:28   #333
BHPian

Quote:
The possible reason for me getting a good deal could be this being my 5th set of tires from the local continental store, and that my RV02 were probably good for another 10k km or so, hence the tyre shop could sell them easily. I have zero contacts in Bangalore, but I'll ask my tyre dealer if he could help!
About the upsize, personally i find the 205 section to be adequate, it offers a good balance of stance, grip and efficiency. The upgrade I'm more interested in is 205/65 R16, it'll be slightly more comfortable, and the tyre itself is significantly cheaper than a 60.
Thanks for the prompt response. so your experience with the continental has been good i hope, do u recommend these?
Old 11th January 2021, 14:54   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt response. so your experience with the continental has been good i hope, do u recommend these?
My experience with Continental is limited to the MC5 and CC5 series. I bought 4 sets of the former, it's a great all rounder.
At the time of writing i have covered over 2000 km on the UC6, and so far it feels like an MC5, just a bit less plush. But you gain strength in the sidewall, which was a concern with the MC5, so it's a win in my books.
Also, it's rated V for speed, not that we can reach that limit in the Ecosport, but it's reassuring that the tyre is engineered well.
Also, could you DM me the name and location of your preferred Continental store? My dealer said that while he doesn't have any personal contact, but he could talk to the regional manager.

Last edited by DrAakash : 11th January 2021 at 14:57.
Old 11th January 2021, 15:28   #335
BHPian

Quote:
My experience with Continental is limited to the MC5 and CC5 series. I bought 4 sets of the former, it's a great all rounder.
At the time of writing i have covered over 2000 km on the UC6, and so far it feels like an MC5, just a bit less plush. But you gain strength in the sidewall, which was a concern with the MC5, so it's a win in my books.
Also, it's rated V for speed, not that we can reach that limit in the Ecosport, but it's reassuring that the tyre is engineered well.
Also, could you DM me the name and location of your preferred Continental store? My dealer said that while he doesn't have any personal contact, but he could talk to the regional manager.
Thank you so much, unable to send a DM as i'm a newbie Have approcahed Tyre Professionals and has offered 8.4K for 215/60 R16 Excluding balancing and alignment..
Old 11th January 2021, 15:44   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much, unable to send a DM as i'm a newbie Have approcahed Tyre Professionals and has offered 8.4K for 215/60 R16 Excluding balancing and alignment..
8.4k sounds about right for a 215/60 R16. Do note that if you have the 16x6J alloy, 205 section is already the upper limit of the tyre width.
Try to have the balancing and alignment included in the price. It's almost a given here in the North, not sure about your place..
Old 11th January 2021, 16:25   #337
BHPian

Quote:
8.4k sounds about right for a 215/60 R16. Do note that if you have the 16x6J alloy, 205 section is already the upper limit of the tyre width.
Try to have the balancing and alignment included in the price. It's almost a given here in the North, not sure about your place..

thanks for the pointer on the rim size, guess will stick to 205/60. He's been persistent on additional charges for alignment balancing since the first discussion. Lets see if i can negotiate any better. Shall update once the change is done..
Old 12th January 2021, 18:56   #338
BHPian

Just got new boots for my Ecosport. Conti UC6 in stock 205/60/16 size.

Initial impressions(25 kms) are that they are miles ahead of the OE MRF ZV2K tyres which I changed after a measly 14.7k kms. Too much noise and super hard which made the ride awful despite low mileage and 3 years in age.The UC6 is almost noiseless and the ride is plush and grip very good.

The only minor negative, if you call it a negative, is road feedback from the steering is a little less than desired (for me).

To put it in perspective, based on my experience, the only comparison I can make are with the Michelin XM2s on my earlier Vento. From memory, the XM2s were slightly noisier, not as plush and not as grippy as the UC6s though feedback was slightly better. The UC6s should be closer to the P4STs in experience I feel and at a reasonable cost.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 14:10   #339

After three years of stock Bridgestone ecopia (16500 KM only), finally, the time had come to get my Ecosport much-needed tyre replacement. Already replaced one tyre earlier with Apollo Alnac 4g under warranty, another one has a bulge with cuts on two more tyres so a total of three tyres this time. So decided it's enough of these Ecopia's.

Bought Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ST in stock size (205/50 R17) as there is not much choice available in this size, went to Chawla Tyres (Moradabad) for the tyres and installation, which is 100 km from my place. All the tyres had February 2020 as the MFG date.

It was my first visit there, and I am impressed with their setup, Owner (Mr Harshit Chawla) is a helpful & knowledgeable person.
They have installed hunter machines throughout with Runflat tyre changer.

Pilot Sport 4 ST needs no introduction, as these are brilliant in comparison to stock Ecopio's, almost noiseless and very-good grip.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-57-pm.jpeg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-24-pm.jpeg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-36-pm.jpeg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-37-pm.jpeg  

Old 18th February 2021, 14:27   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4X4 View Post
Bought Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ST in stock size (205/50 R17) as there is not much choice available in this size, went to Chawla Tyres (Moradabad) for the tyres and installation, which is 100 km from my place. All the tyres had February 2020 as the MFG date.
Feb 2020? So you got tyres that are almost 1 year old. I am not sure if that's a good move as tyres have a shelf life when not used. Hope you have a good rapport with the shop for any unconditional warranty claims.
Old 18th February 2021, 15:42   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Feb 2020? So you got tyres that are almost 1 year old. I am not sure if that's a good move as tyres have a shelf life when not used. Hope you have a good rapport with the shop for any unconditional warranty claims.
One year is ok, as you can't get hold of fresh import every time. And in the current import ban situation, it's almost impossible.

I have also purchased the unconditional warranty for two tyres for Rs.800/- per tyre, which is valid for five years from the date of sale.
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:01   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
Just got new boots for my Ecosport. Conti UC6 in stock 205/60/16 size.

Initial impressions(25 kms) are that they are miles ahead of the OE MRF ZV2K tyres which I changed after a measly 14.7k kms. Too much noise and super hard which made the ride awful despite low mileage and 3 years in age.The UC6 is almost noiseless and the ride is plush and grip very good.

The only minor negative, if you call it a negative, is road feedback from the steering is a little less than desired (for me).

Thank you for the update. What size did you go for, and what was the cost? And was it after exchange of old tyres?

I am also curious to know why you say road feedback is little less when the grip is very good??
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:50   #343
BHPian

Vnabhi....thanks for quoting me. Now to answer your questions:
1. Size 205/60 R16 (stock size)
2. Cost - Rs. 28800/- for 4 tyres with free alignment and balancing. Rs. 675/- for weights additional. Exchange for the old tyres was @600/tyre separately accounted for.

Regarding grip, I know what you mean but the tyres are brand new and still need to run in. Have so far done around 100kms on them and the feedback seems to be improving. Despite being new, the cornering grip is good and I feel this too will improve as more kms are logged.
Floyd de Souza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 23:14   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
Is 205/65 R16 a worthy upgrade from the stock 205/60 R16? What added benefits are there, and what are the negatives? Wont the odo readings be off by 3%? I read somewhere that 2% max is the recommended limit.

And isn't 215/60/ R16 a better upgrade? The variance is only 1.9%.

Last edited by vnabhi : 11th March 2021 at 23:18.
Old 12th March 2021, 09:46   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello, need urgent response please. I have got my car yesterday with the stock Good Years, but plan to change them today. The dealer has only 2021 stock of 205/65 R16 instead of the stock 205/60.

I checked online tire size calculator and it showed a difference of 3.1%. I think this might affect the high-speed stability of the car due to the increased GC.

TIA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks