Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2018, 19:17   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys got home new Ecosport and it has come shod with 17" Apollo Alnac 4G tyres . Have read mixed reviews about it. What is the opinion of the people here. Anyone experienced the tyre ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Alnac 4G tyres are very decent. It's not crap like OE tyres by few manufacturers (say JK Elanzo in old S-Cross). There are better options available in the market for sure, but I personally don't think it's a "need" to upgrade here.
So here is the update on the ALNAC 4G 205/50/r17
Lost one tyre (front RHS) when I went over a pointed piece of rock left on the road. Immediate cut and very slight damage to the rim.
This happened in Jan 2018 towards the very end of the month.
Been driving on like that. Had to go to Goa for a trip and the tyre replacement became necessary.
So bought one at 7200/- a piece( 5625+ 28% GST).
So now on the performance of the tyre.
Apollo Alnac is no beaten up tyre, performs like a boss on the highway. Drove through rough roads, wet roads also in the deep potholes. I was scared as had already lost one tyre but the tyre carried on.
Even the wet grip is commendable. Bit of tyre noise but its ignorable.
Super happy the way it performed on the trip.
Old 21st September 2018, 13:37   #242
BHPian

My 2016 Trend+ Ecosport came with MRF tyres on steel rims, which I was a bit apprehensive about but they have served me extremely well. I have travelled to Kerala, Pench, Goa and other nearby places around in Telangana and Andhra. My daily drive to office is 155kms on the outer ring road (ORR), in Hyderabad. So I have raked up 45,000 KM in just 2 years 5 months of my ownership. I must say the tyres have served me extremely well, no punctures and also the treads looks as good as new, probably because of 80% of my drives being on good smooth roads. Yes, the drive through water-logged roads is not at all confidence-inspiring because of extreme aqua-planing and I'm attributing it to the tyres but I might be wrong here.

I'm looking to upgrade to 16-inch alloys so therefore requesting the good folks here to suggest me some good shops in Hyderabad where I will get good quality tyres at a reasonable deal (that includes exchanging my existing tyres. I prefer Yokohoma Earth series tyres so some good references will be appreciated. :-)
Old 5th November 2018, 13:27   #243
BHPian

How bad is this cut ? Not sure how this happened, but saw this today. They are stock Goodyears and have served me 28000 Kms, almost 5 years now.

The cut doesn't look too deep to my naked eye, but considering this is on the side-wall, not sure if I can get this patched or just bite the dust and change the tyres ? Any suggestions for the upgrade ?
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181104_184521.jpg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181104_184552.jpg  

aquarian1502 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 13:59   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarian1502 View Post
How bad is this cut ? Not sure how this happened, but saw this today. They are stock Goodyears and have served me 28000 Kms, almost 5 years now.

The cut doesn't look too deep to my naked eye, but considering this is on the side-wall, not sure if I can get this patched or just bite the dust and change the tyres ? Any suggestions for the upgrade ?
Replace. Replace! Replace!!

The sidewall is arguably the most important part of the tyre, it holds your car up. (Some people - not you - assume the tread area is more important, but that's not the case.)

5 years means the rubber is old and brittler than a new tyre, so its a good time to change, even if the kms run aren't that high.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 14:22   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Lets consider the side wall damage has not happened.

The vehicle being the best in its segment needs better tires, it looks worn out for the kind of distance it has been through, but even when new they are not the best tires to have for the handling Ecosport is capable.

Give it a midlife make over with some new tires, splurge a bit and then enjoy the new tires, the difference they make is spectacular. Out of the three tire replacements in our group, they all have been Continental MC5, a good balance in terms of comfort and grip for an enthusiast driver.

Hope this helps!

side note : Tyre sellers are more willing to provide discounts on Continental, Michelin etc rather than more popular brands is what I was told.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 02:28   #246
BHPian

Quote:
They are stock Goodyears and have served me 28000 Kms, almost 5 years now.
5 years means your Tyre have reached their expiry date. Change all 5 (recommended). Ecosport has same size spare wheel unlike many other cars, so its advisable to do 5 tyre rotation.

Do consider the newly launched Primacy 4 !

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4480140 (The Michelin Primacy 4, now available in India)
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 09:43   #247
Team-BHP Support

My Goodyear Assurance tyres completed 44,000kms in around 5 years. They still had 4-5K kms of life in them and were not at the wear indicator but I could feel lesser grip as well as got 3 punctures on one tyre in a week.

Decided to change them since I had an impending Mumbai drive in December. My plan was to change in November end or Dec but Nikhil informed me of a price hike for Michelin in November so got them changed last week.

I went for the Michelin P3ST as recommended by Nikhil. The other choice was MRF PErfinza or Yoko Blue Earth but rather than experimenting, just went for the tried and trusted.

Immediate feedback is grip is really good and the ride has improved a lot. There's a softer feel when going over bad roads and it doesn't crash over broken roads as much.

Road noise has completely disappeared. Will get to know how it performs next month when I drive to Mumbai.

old set of Goodyears:
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181027_121549.jpg

Wear indicator was still not in contact but as you can see the rubber was cracking:
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181027_121540.jpg

3 punctures on this 1 tyre:
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181027_121529.jpg

New set of Michelins about to go on:
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181027_121945.jpg

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th November 2018 at 09:50.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 23:28   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I went for the Michelin P3ST as recommended by Nikhil. The other choice was MRF PErfinza or Yoko Blue Earth but rather than experimenting, just went for the tried and trusted.
Nice one Just curious, why didn't you go for the newly launched Primacy 4 ? Also do you mind sharing the cost ?
Old 7th November 2018, 10:52   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Nice one Just curious, why didn't you go for the newly launched Primacy 4 ? Also do you mind sharing the cost ?
Primacy 4 not available in 205/60-16 yet and even if I waited the price would have been a few hundred more. I got these tyres before the price increase as well so saved a little more. They are priced at ~7,700 per tyre + new valves + alignment and balancing. Final price will be lower after discount.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 11:29   #250
BHPian

Don’t know if this is the right thread to post this.

Have attached pictures of my Ecosport disc/drum area, taken while I went in to get alignment done today. There seems to be too much of rust on these parts, is this normal? Have other Ecosport owners faced this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-5eae604c2c1a4c0aa01e470fd4ba99b8.jpeg  

Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-a145521793f44f7d9d9951cadb77f9b5.jpeg  

Last edited by Pequod : 10th November 2018 at 11:30. Reason: Spelling!
Pequod is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 12:46   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Have attached pictures of my Ecosport disc/drum area, taken while I went in to get alignment done today. There seems to be too much of rust on these parts, is this normal? Have other Ecosport owners faced this issue?
Those parts (mating face, brake disk) are cast iron, hence rust is normal, nothing to worry. This is similar to how certain parts of the turbo are of iron and would have rust.

My EcoSport was 2 weeks old (i.e. 2 weeks after manufacture), when I went to change my tyres, and I found rust on the mating face of the wheel hub

That said, it is best to clean off the rust on the mating face of the wheel hub, since rust can cause the wheel/alloy to bind to the hub (making it harder to change during a puncture). Use a cloth, WD-40 and some pressure to remove as much of it as you can.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 12:54   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Those parts (mating face, brake disk) are cast iron, hence rust is normal, nothing to worry. This is similar to how certain parts of the turbo are of iron and would have rust.
Thanks mate! Saved me quite a bit of worry there. Will make sure to take rags and WD40 along during next alignment.
Pequod is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 19:29   #253
BHPian

Guys, I am really having a tough time with my Bridgestone Ecopia 205/50/r17 stock tyres that came fitted with my Ford Ecosport Titanium + AT.

The ride quality is has gone from bad to worse. I can literally feel the bad roads of Bangalore while driving.
I did try searching online for a worthy replacement some months back but no options were available.

Need your help in suggesting some good replacement for these stock tyres.

Recently drove over a protruding stone on the side of the road and rim got slightly damaged along with a slight cut on the tyres.
All the more reason to go ahead and replace them. Looking for some suggestions/options.
Old 19th November 2018, 18:30   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinbindra View Post
Need your help in suggesting some good replacement for these stock tyres.
I took an years time to make the selection, you literally have a wide variety of options across manufacturers here.

Even my use include a good amount of patchy roads, and wet drives. I had zeroed in on Continental Contact 5 and Yokohama Earth 1.

I went in for Yokos, and I can clearly see the difference, I have also seen an Earth 1 running on my relatives Innova, and it did 40K now and it looks as good as new and provides decent ride on that.

It does the same with my car as well. Soft and balanced, zero road noise etc. I would strongly recommend Earth 1 for you, there is a separate thread on Earth1 in tbhp
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 09:00   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
I went in for Yokos, and I can clearly see the difference, I have also seen an Earth 1 running on my relatives Innova, and it did 40K now and it looks as good as new and provides decent ride on that.

It does the same with my car as well. Soft and balanced, zero road noise etc. I would strongly recommend Earth 1 for you, there is a separate thread on Earth1 in tbhp
Thanks for the suggestion, however I do not see this size "205/50/r17" available in this brand.
Which ones should I go for considering the recommended size is not available.

Also I don't want to face any issues by putting some size which is not even suited for my Ford EcoSport.
jatinbindra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks