some of the ancient buses
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-b.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-b1.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-b19201940.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-b2.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-buu.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: THIS WAS THE TYPE OF OPEN BODY BUS ON THIRUVALLA TO MALLAPPALLY ROUTE IN 1950 BUT IT HAD A FLAT ROOF (177.3 KB, 1147 views)
Old 19th October 2010, 14:37   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
Hi Guys, Saw this MB Van parked in Marol military road. The car looked like it was with a scrap dealer (with some shops around that place). Could not find anyone to speak about it, clicked some pics though. Cheers, slicks
Sad end for a lovely bus which was lying in a Garage in Khar. I think this is ex-Air India. It was complete, hope she is not being junked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
do any one have an idea of a 8 seater bus called thronie craft , in 1913 the bus manufactured by thronie craft was bought by "the meenachil motor association" headed by Joseph Augusti Kayalackakom , It was the first bus to ply in the Trivandrum - Kollam route
Thornycroft is the correct spelling, check in Wikipedia for history. Was very common in India, trucks and busses. They even had an agent in Bombay, Hindustan something, I got a whole load of pictures. In the 1950's they supplied bus chassis to Pune Municipal Transport, body was built locally. I have a picture of one a PMT bus. Thornycroft built in 1924 a 4 wheel drive "tractor" to pull guns, and called it "Hathi".

Quote:
some of the ancient buses
Where did you get these pictures? Is it possible to make some nice copies? Lovely pictures indeed.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 19th October 2010 at 14:40.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2010, 14:38   #513
Senior - BHPian

Photo took in 1913

It was in todays news paper , they say that the bus was made by thronie kraft / throniecraft / throny craft

It is an 8 seater , i belive its a petrol one and not the steam engined bus

This was the first bus in the Trivandrum - Kollam Route
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-1.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-2.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-f.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2010, 14:49   #514
Senior - BHPian

Is that a bed ford ? mods sorry for the back to back posts , forgot to upload this , please merge the posts
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-bed.jpg  

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 19th October 2010 at 14:50.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:05   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that a bed ford ?
That's right! It's a Bedford license built by Hindustan Motors. Can't enlarge the pic you posted but the bonnet of the vehicle seems to carry name plates of both HINDUSTAN and BEDFORD.

Last edited by directinjection : 19th October 2010 at 16:08.
Old 19th October 2010, 22:49   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
An old Hindustan Lorry still going good,spotted during a trip to Munnar last month

Attachment 440105

happened to see another pic of same lorry in flickr

Attachment 440106

Does anybody know about history of Ford trucks/lorry in India, was it on sale in the country?

just wanted to know i used to see a ford lorry in trivandrum doing usual business like tata 1210s

Also i would like to know about history of fargo trucks,any links of the same in the forum?
Nice catch man.

Fargo trucks !! are any of them still running? I have good memories of my childhood at Pala; Fargo trucks were so common there. I think there are very few still remaining..
Old 19th October 2010, 23:19   #517
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

You're right Harit. The Merecedes bus/van was lying at Khar a couple of years ago and was in complete shape then. It used to be green / black in color. I too hope it does not get scrapped. I used to always wonder why this van has 4 wheels at the rear (like a bus).
Old 20th October 2010, 00:26   #518
BHPian

Hi Friends

I'm new to the forum and have been looking through this thread with great pleasure and interest.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the UK made Ford Thames Trader truck was ever imported to India? My uncle and cousin are total enthusiasts for this vehicle and own 2 examples here in the UK. They are curious to learn if any of these trucks made it to India.

Any information, and, if possible pictures regarding these trucks in India would be much appreciated

Regards
Ed
Old 20th October 2010, 13:51   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
Hi Friends

I'm new to the forum and have been looking through this thread with great pleasure and interest.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the UK made Ford Thames Trader truck was ever imported to India? My uncle and cousin are total enthusiasts for this vehicle and own 2 examples here in the UK. They are curious to learn if any of these trucks made it to India.

Any information, and, if possible pictures regarding these trucks in India would be much appreciated

Regards
Ed
Welcome to the Forum Ed!
Why don't you post pics of the two examples your uncle and cousin own in UK? It'll help members spot Indian examples, if any.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:42   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sad end for a lovely bus which was lying in a Garage in Khar. I think this is ex-Air India. It was complete, hope she is not being junked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
You're right Harit. The Merecedes bus/van was lying at Khar a couple of years ago and was in complete shape then. It used to be green / black in color. I too hope it does not get scrapped. I used to always wonder why this van has 4 wheels at the rear (like a bus).
i guessed that it wouldn't have escaped the eyes of the gurus here, would have been quite a looker in its heydays I'm sure.

V12, the 4 wheels at the back is something that surprised me as well, also the way the front wheels are right in the front, haven't seen any 'live' example of this model ever.

Well the pics that i posted had the shell and the wheels and that's all that remains of it, it did not have the engine, or anything inside. The three pointed star, and other logos would've long gone anyways.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:06   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
i guessed that it wouldn't have escaped the eyes of the gurus here, would have been quite a looker in its heydays I'm sure.

V12, the 4 wheels at the back is something that surprised me as well, also the way the front wheels are right in the front, haven't seen any 'live' example of this model ever.

Well the pics that i posted had the shell and the wheels and that's all that remains of it, it did not have the engine, or anything inside. The three pointed star, and other logos would've long gone anyways.
That Mercedes van is L 319 which was launched in 1955. It came in both passenger and goods carrier versions. The twin rear tyres must be endowing it with greater ruggedness and stability. Also note the truck-like I-beam axle at the front.

Check for pics here:
mercedes L319 - Google Search

Also check this write up at wiki:

Mercedes-Benz L 319 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 8th January 2011, 15:13   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

A Leyland bus from the 60s operating between Tanjavur and Salem. Found in a flickr album:

Thanjavur to Salem Bus, Tamil Nadu, India, 1969 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 12th January 2011, 12:53   #523
BHPian

Innocenti Pi 75

Spotted this Innocenti Pi 75 rickshaw used as Goods Carrier in Pune's Narayan Peth area yesterday afternoon. Seems to be a daily runner.
(I think I have also posted few pics of same kind of blue colored vehicle in this thread around 4 months ago.)
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-photo0001.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-photo0002.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-photo0003.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-photo0004.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-photo0005.jpg  

dhrishikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2011, 13:52   #524
Ram
Senior - BHPian

This is really a Lambretta 3-wheeler. Used to be made by API. The "PI" that you see is part of the broken API badge and "75" is part of the broken "175" badge.

Automobile Products of India (API) used to assemble Innocenti Lambretta scooters in India from 1949-50 onwards. They built the Lambretta Li150 Series 2 scooter until 1976, under licence.

When Scooters India Ltd (makers of the Vijai super and Vikram 3-wheeled contraption) bought out Innocenti Italy in 1972, API renamed their product as "Lamby".

API also built the trademark model [API-175] 3 wheeler which was based on Innocenti's 3-wheeler. API continued to build Lambretta-derived models until the 1980s but turned sick and shut shop in 2002. They used to be registered in Ambattur Madras and had assembly shops in Bombay and Aurangabad.

Here are some old API 175 "Innocenti" three-wheelers. The compartment in the rear of the autorick is not the engine compartment. It is just a luggage trunk. The API 175's engine was under the driver's seat.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-lambrettaautorick.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-lambretta3wheeltruck.jpg

Ram
Old 12th January 2011, 14:17   #525
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The API 175 was taller, more spacious, more powerful and even had a little dikky, compared to the Bajaj 150 autorickshaw.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-bajaj150api175.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks