Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 23:46   #616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
I am glad you guys are encouraging me to take this project on. I am not planning to build this for sale. No to bothered about profits here. Only if there is a fully restored car that I can pick up for 5-6 then I might as well do so. I do not see any modern classics available around so looks like I will dive into this even if he does no go to low below his quoted 2.5-2.75 L range.

I will try and get to the interior pics too. I am going to be in chennai tomorrow..you think there may be some cars I could see there? Anyone?
Hi Machdar,

Now that you have posted the pics, suggest that you go for it at best price. The range mentioned by you is reasonable in today's scenario. And I am sure that feelers are creeping all over Goa to find this car and beat you to it. Just ensure that the engine is original, and that the books are available. Probably the headlights have been removed, you may just be lucky. There is definitely some tin work, the body in parts shows such spots. The bumpers would have been painted because the chrome got bad. Find a good chrome guy with experience in car parts, and pay that extra money. This car need shining chrome.
And next time you are near the car, try to wind up that side glass, the interiors will get spoilt. There are other cars parked very close, hope you get access.
This is what I would do, and so far I have been quite correct in such judgements. If you wait for a restored car between 5L to 6L, you may indeed be very lucky, but you may also have a long wait, till then empty handed. You can get lucky, people do win lotteries, but how many people in the share market manage to buy at the lowest and sell at the highest level index? Really not many
Good luck!

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 16th February 2010 at 23:56.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:35   #617
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And I am sure that feelers are creeping all over Goa to find this car and beat you to it.
I got some vibrations already.

@Machdar: Small piece of advise. Your money so be there in person to inspect and then finish the deal. Take it away as soon as you pay the amount.

Best of luck with the car.
Old 17th February 2010, 13:14   #618
Senior - BHPian

I too felt some of them all the way here in Mumbai spitfire, I called around and was told otherwise the car has been on offer for a while a fact also already mentioned here a few posts ago!

Machdar I think you should go by your own judgement and instinct instead of 2nd hand stuff best of luck and as I mentioned earlier spitfire is in Goa and Iam taking the liberty to say if you talk to him over the lines he may consider giving you a hand and getting some low down/background on her. Anyway she is not the only one around PM me I will give you active leads in GOA/Mumbai. What good is a forum like tbhp if it justs acts like the classified section for dealers instead of being a good stock buyers tool to get help from objective players

Last edited by canonball : 17th February 2010 at 13:15.
Old 17th February 2010, 14:00   #619
Senior - BHPian

Funny thought just crossed my mind and my memory, someone once went to some lenghts out here to state stock markets and real estate can't be compared to vintage and classic cars and now we have wisdom on stock bottom picking, funy how things go around I recall spitfire weren't you there as well. Funny how things come full circle as they say "What come around goes around" my close jewish pals always say this time and again.
Old 17th February 2010, 17:25   #620
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I too felt some of them all the way here in Mumbai spitfire, I called around and was told otherwise the car has been on offer for a while a fact also already mentioned here a few posts ago!
The car is well known in the circles and everyone thinks this is some other car so the interest. Internet is a funny thing.

Quote:
I mentioned earlier spitfire is in Goa and Iam taking the liberty to say if you talk to him over the lines he may consider giving you a hand and getting some low down/background on her.
Hey thanks. I dont know what to say. Thanks for the trust. Really appreciate it.

Yes if anything is required from me please do pm me. I would be more then happy to help.

Presently I am not in Goa though, but its not too far from Bangalore and if I need to get there to get a classic back to its glory, then there is no better excuse.
Old 17th February 2010, 21:13   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
V16 I was referring to w108/9 Sir Aren't compacts 114/115?
Absolutely right sir the "Compacts" are the W114/5 series and the "Semi Compacts" are the W108/9 series. I didi say "Semi Compact" in my post, as quoted below

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Sir, some of these "Semi Compacts" did come with a servo assisted steering set up, i know as my family owned one years ago.

Machdar, i agree with Harit. As you know there are not many such cars left, what happens when a particular model is scarce and in demand??? the price rises. See what has happened to our own desi Fiat Dukkars and selects. Try getting one for what was considered reasonable a year ago. There are hardly any dukkars left so the price is rising and will continue to do so.

This is an S class merc man. If everything is there, id go for it by bargaining and consider myself lucky if the car came for 2.5. I the meanwhile, if someone else comes over and buys the stuff will you be able to ever forgive yourself?

Your call totally. Weigh the pros and cons and then decide what to do. If you are buying it for collecting, then dont bother for a 25k here or there. By the time you complete the project, it will be more than what you paid for i can guarantee you.

Bumpers will eb expensive to hard chrome, say in the range of 8-10k each maybe a little more. Calculate around 100k for a top notch paint and tin job. considering the line and level of the body is fine and its not too badly rusted.

The rest you spend on your mechanicals and interiors. Redoing the interiors with leather should cost you around 50-60k if using leather (recommended), including the seats, all door panels and roof lining. The carpet and matting would set you back around 15k and the rubbers all doors, channels, front and rear windscreen and boot should cost around 25k if imported (cost at source- eg:- Malaysia/Hong Kong. For a German make it would cost twice as much.

Give or take 10% on the above quotes of you are looking for a quality job, then depends on whom you know, how well and if he can reduce some part of the cost as a personal favour. Remember, sourcing spares in India is not going to be easy, if possible at all.

Do your math!!
Old 17th February 2010, 22:50   #622
BANNED

Now multiple whatever V-16 gave an approximation of by 2 and you have your budget.
Old 18th February 2010, 10:59   #623
BHPian

Hi Spitfir, Canonball & V-16,

Thank you for all the advice! I was away in chennai yesterday so just got to see all your posts. I think all your encouragement has convinced me that I am not doing something wrong! I had decided the day I saw it ..something like love at first sight but just needed some words of encouragement from folks who know more than me.

Thank You I am now 100% sure to pick it up and will keep you all posted. I also will need a lot of support throughout the build process.

Thank You Again
Old 18th February 2010, 11:05   #624
Senior - BHPian

Servo assisted in what form? Is it the same as power steering pum assisted or just a lighter electro mechanical type?

Last edited by canonball : 18th February 2010 at 11:08.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:34   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for all the advice! I was away in chennai yesterday so just got to see all your posts. I think all your encouragement has convinced me that I am not doing something wrong! I had decided the day I saw it ..something like love at first sight but just needed some words of encouragement from folks who know more than me.

Thank You I am now 100% sure to pick it up and will keep you all posted. I also will need a lot of support throughout the build process.

Thank You Again
Go for it man and we all are there to help you out. When you do get the car finally, there will be more to join in and help you out. Please post interior pics if you can.

Quote:
Servo assisted in what form? Is it the same as power steering pum assisted or just a lighter electro mechanical type?
Not an electro mechanical type, but a servo pump like in a normal pump assisted power steering but unlike an EPS.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:41   #626
Senior - BHPian

Ok i know EPS they only came much later anyway, but I always assumed all w108/9's came non assisted. Was it an option or came standard on certian models. I passed up on a car for this very reason and assumed the type never came with power steering.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:51   #627
BHPian

Thank You V-16,

I will try and get my hand son the interior pics and post them soon!
Old 18th February 2010, 16:58   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank You V-16,

I will try and get my hand son the interior pics and post them soon!
Post the pictures afterwards, First Go and Pick up the car!! Bodyline etc are Very Good.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:59   #629
BANNED

Quote:
I passed up on a car for this very reason and assumed the type never came with power steering.
I think it came both, simple servo assisted or manual. I have seen a manual one too.
Old 18th February 2010, 18:16   #630
BHPian

Thanks Sccoby,

Guys quick query ! I have seen pics of 108 where it has one single headlamp and also many pics with two round headlamps like in 111/112.

Which one is correct?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks