Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2013, 14:47   #316
BHPian

Re: The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Had an early morning drive scheduled at 7 am from the usual place on the Bandra side of the sea link. Suddenly this outlet has become a grease junkie hub I feel on Sundays.

We then went across to help a friend to start up and remove his '59 Impala convertible after 40 odd years of non use. What a car and made the Sunday even brighter . Started with little coaxing and smooth just basic brakes which looked like they were jammed and needed to be freed ! What originality and manny images to follow soon.
Fantastic! All these Bombay & Poona drives might finally succeed in pushing me to move back to Poona. Hats off to you guys! I doubt Delhiites (generally speaking) will ever get over the sole purpose of the v&c automobile 'hobby' of theirs - 'shoshabaazi' (showmanship). I'm sure that breed exists in large numbers in Bombay, Poona, etc. as well, but at least some of you guys are making a difference, and it seems to be catching up. Splendid!

And that '59 Impala. Man! I think I gotta go, change my boxers!!

Last edited by Prabal : 5th May 2013 at 14:56.
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 19:31   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had an early morning drive scheduled at 7 am from the usual place on the Bandra side of the sea link . We had Karl in a lovely fiat just driven back from Poona , a 82 Cadillac , a 1960 SL and a Ford A from 1928 . Some shots taken at the sea link and also at Horniman circle Starbucks . Where we were joined by mr Dabholkar and his loving Austin, a Beetle and a Biscayne. Sadly I was in a mordern car of no consequence . We had a group of Harley bike owners also who have also started to meet up. Suddenly this outlet has become a grease junkie hub I feel on Sundays.

Weather was nice not harsh at all this early !

We then went across to help a friend to start up and remove his '59 Impala convertible after 40 odd years of non use. What a car and made the Sunday even brighter . Started with little coaxing and smooth just basic brakes which looked like they were jammed and needed to be freed ! What originality and manny images to follow soon.

Cheers
While driving across town today I forgot to add this Hair Salons front which was most interesting and Apt name also

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image619806229.jpg  

kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 22:53   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
+ 1 to that and in addition I had to take shower to cure the sudden attack of goose bumps .

With a little bit of TLC she will be really lovely. Owners Pride and hats off to preserving it all these days

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
Old 5th May 2013, 23:20   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
+ 1 to that and in addition I had to take shower to cure the sudden attack of goose bumps .

With a little bit of TLC she will be really lovely. Owners Pride and hats off to preserving it all these days
I think she was posted in another thread a few years ago, by Cyrus, who'd taken a ride in her too. He was saying the car had just been started up then.
Old 6th May 2013, 10:24   #320
Senior - BHPian

This Impala convertible was earlier talked about here, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ng-impala.html
That red SAAB in that thread belongs to our friend who was present with Kasli, but has undergone a colour change.

But what is it with this car that makes people go bonkers?

As can be seen, this car has not slept for 40 years. A few years before this convertible went to Mohammed Haji Saboo Siddik College of Engineering, I was requested to get a mechanic to start the car. The car was started, new ignition parts fitted, braked and petrol lines cleaned and sorted, and then the car went back for a long nap.

A few years later I met this Parsi gent who was from this Saboo Siddik college and he was being mysterious about an Impala convertible being worked on at his place. I asked him whether the car had a sequencial number on the plate and the answer was no. Anyway, later it turned out to be the same car. And thereafter it again went for a long nap.

The original owner is no more, he has two sons who don't want to give it up. But someone should tell them that every time the car takes a long nap, at least the brakes will require attention. They could drive her once a week. The car has a 6 cylinder engine. Maybe Kasli can get them to come on Sundays. It is theoretically still a one owner car, if someone can aquire her good luck.
This family also had an Opel which is now in Nashik, there was also a Ford LTD which was passed on.

Now I will make the effort to come next Sunday, in an old car.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 6th May 2013 at 10:27.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 08:59   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Now I will make the effort to come next Sunday, in an old car.

Cheers harit
Sunday morinings may soon turn to friday night after dinner coffee drives so watch this space.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 10:08   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - it is so nice to see BMF4567 out in the open, good! The owner is my very dear personal friend.

Best regards,

Behram
Old 9th May 2013, 15:31   #323
BHPian

There used to be a 1959 Impala convertible in a garage in daryamahal building on Napeansea road, Bombay. Does anyone know the fate of that car? Or is this the same one??

These cars were often pushed over cliffs in old hindi movies in accident scenes, very few survived. Hope this car gets some TLC soon.
Old 9th May 2013, 15:55   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
There used to be a 1959 Impala convertible in a garage in Darya Mahal building on Napeansea road, Bombay...........
Same car, but it was in Hanumath building, not Darya Mahal. It appears that you are back and catching up

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 13:12   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While driving across town today I forgot to add this Hair Salons front which was most interesting and Apt name also

Cheers
This Salon belongs to a friend of mine. She had brought alot of car parts to decorate the shop.
Old 10th May 2013, 15:14   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Sunday morinings may soon turn to friday night after dinner coffee drives so watch this space.
Yes! Great idea. I'm missing all the drives just because I cant get out of bed early on a sunday after a late saturday night.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 01:19   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught these beauties on their regular Sunday Morning rounds of the city quite sometime back
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-20130414_0814160.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-20130414_081457.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-20130414_0844110-copy.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_8431-.jpg  

///RMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 23:53   #328
Senior - BHPian

This morning a bunch of VW owners met up at Cafe Mondegar or Breakfast . Some pictures taken and being shared . The Picture of the Ford was not taken by me for records but he was present

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image761775067.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image1051470846.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image2162924736.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image2704415639.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image2191197997.jpg  

kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 00:26   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This morning a bunch of VW owners met up at Cafe Mondegar or Breakfast . Some pictures taken and being shared . The Picture of the Ford was not taken by me for records but he was present

Cheers
One more snap which was taken
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image475607498.jpg  

kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 20:52   #330
BHPian

Quote:
This morning a bunch of VW owners met up at Cafe Mondegar or Breakfast . Some pictures taken and being shared .
My pictures from the VW Meetup:
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-untitled-1.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-untitled-3.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-untitled-4.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-untitled-5.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-untitled-6.jpg  

RandomUsername is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks