Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 20:47   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli
As the last drive was cancelled. Thinking of another drive this sunday 25th Nov 2012. Meet at the same spot - the Bandra side of the sealink at 8.00 - 8.30 am & head for a cuppa coffee / Tea topped with enthusiasm.

Cheers
I am in need to do a practice drive before mahableshwar anyways and this is the last weekend before that drive.
Old 25th November 2012, 15:13   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)

Sorry I missed it guys (also missed the Fiat club meet), couldn't leave Pune today. How was the drive? Do share some pics.
Old 25th November 2012, 15:29   #258
BHPian

Here are the pics.
Just three cars this time, but it was a fun drive!
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5956.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5957.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5958.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5959.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5963.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5972.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5973.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5974-version-2.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5986.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5987.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5989.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5994.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_5995.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_6002.jpg  

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-img_6005.jpg  

RandomUsername is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 20:51   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
Here are the pics.
Just three cars this time, but it was a fun drive!
Nice pics. The blue beetle is cool. I think I'm seeing for the first time. Is it Kasli's?
Harit didn't come along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I am in need to do a practice drive before mahableshwar anyways and this is the last weekend before that drive.
Off topic but I'm curious to know what oil filter is in the 180 D. Is it the the two metal coil tubular one with the square/wire wound from one coil to the other coil on the other end which you can wash and reuse?

Cheers
Old 26th November 2012, 21:44   #260
Senior - BHPian

Yes that's mine . Thank you and also HARIT did come .

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar

Nice pics. The blue beetle is cool. I think I'm seeing for the first time. Is it Kasli's?
Harit didn't come along?

Off topic but I'm curious to know what oil filter is in the 180 D. Is it the the two metal coil tubular one with the square/wire wound from one coil to the other coil on the other end which you can wash and reuse?

Cheers
Old 27th November 2012, 08:17   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar

Cheers
Yes that's correct. Though now you also get composite metal and paper ones that do the job but are not reusable
Old 27th November 2012, 14:20   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Yes that's correct. Though now you also get composite metal and paper ones that do the job but are not reusable
Finally I get to see a few pics of the interiors of your car. I have to say the radio fits in beautifully and takes the interior to another level! BTW, how come your car has a wood molding frame over the dash instead of bakelite as 180's tend to have; another max option fitting?

It's really amazing that your car has so many rare options; lockable glove box, chrome glove box handle, the ivory dash handle, twin spares, fog lamps. What other options does it have? Considering it's an early 180, the options make me wonder if the car was originally a display car for India.

Now you need to send me some detailed pics of the interior. Still waiting
mbz180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 16:39   #263
Senior - BHPian

Courtesy Saurabh Jadhav. Who happened to be there and take some fab snaps

Cheers

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image2073095177.jpg

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image2521363714.jpg

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image2689779642.jpg

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image2386507571.jpg

The Classic Drive Thread. (Mumbai)-image3537663372.jpg

Last edited by kasli : 27th November 2012 at 16:40.
kasli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 19:10   #264
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Both the Merc and Beetle look fabulous. What a monumental effort it will be for me to get my 180D to this level of originality and finish !!

You guys are an inspiration for me to get the Packards onroad regularly and start something like this in Hyderabad too. been riding bikes too much and not doing justice to my other beauties

Last edited by DKG : 27th November 2012 at 19:12.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 21:42   #265
Senior - BHPian

DKG its the most simplest thing to do to rope like minded people and irrespective of the car - make - model - collection just take a spin have a cuppa tea and enjoy. Bike to work and back will keep that passion also alive

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Both the Merc and Beetle look fabulous. What a monumental effort it will be for me to get my 180D to this level of originality and finish !!

You guys are an inspiration for me to get the Packards onroad regularly and start something like this in Hyderabad too. been riding bikes too much and not doing justice to my other beauties
Old 27th November 2012, 22:39   #266
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine who has a Triumph roadster and I plan on starting the drives soon. Actually the biking has been taking up all our Sundays, must need to plan something maybe morning and something afternoon
Old 27th November 2012, 22:41   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180

Finally I get to see a few pics of the interiors of your car. I have to say the radio fits in beautifully and takes the interior to another level! BTW, how come your car has a wood molding frame over the dash instead of bakelite as 180's tend to have; another max option fitting?

It's really amazing that your car has so many rare options; lockable glove box, chrome glove box handle, the ivory dash handle, twin spares, fog lamps. What other options does it have? Considering it's an early 180, the options make me wonder if the car was originally a display car for India.

Now you need to send me some detailed pics of the interior. Still waiting
Yes i will request random user name and his brother to take interior shots of the car when we go to mahableshwar, they are hands down the best automotive photographers that i have come across. I am also looking forward to their annual calender shoot, which will also give the kingfisher calender guys a run for their money.

Now to answer your question, yes early cars did have wooden dash top in lieu of bakelite, many were finished in a dark polish to match the bakelite colour well as others were polished to bring out the wood grain. This indeed appears to be a rare fully loaded ponton in the country and if i may say so the cartier curator many years ago commented on this precise point. I dont know about the history of the car but it was definately ordered with all options available including the very rare real ivory grab bar on the dashboard. Also another pecularity is adjustable bucket seats which i am yet to find on another ponton in india. The first owner of the car was a very wealthy parsi individual who wanted to have a luxury spec on a diesel car, i really wondrt why as i am sure cost of petrol and diesel in india were not very much different in that era. Rumour has it that after it was sold down south in the 80's it shared garage space with a 190sl which recently changed hands and i am told is back in mumbai now. May be the two will be united again someday who knows ;-)
Old 30th November 2012, 15:00   #268
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know about the history of the car but it was definately ordered with all options available including the very rare real ivory grab bar on the dashboard. Also another pecularity is adjustable bucket seats which i am yet to find on another ponton in india. The first owner of the car was a very wealthy parsi individual who wanted to have a luxury spec on a diesel car, i really wondrt why as i am sure cost of petrol and diesel in india were not very much different in that era. Rumour has it that after it was sold down south in the 80's it shared garage space with a 190sl which recently changed hands and i am told is back in mumbai now. May be the two will be united again someday who knows ;-)
Thanks for getting snaps taken on the next drive. About the real ivory grab handle, somebody's car is also going to have one when completed

The reclining bench seat option that your car has is indeed very very rare. I remember some years back on a discussion on the Ponton Group, that one member had the same option and everyone else's bench seats were non-reclining.

Good last line! I do hope that the 190SL and the 180D are someday reunited
Old 2nd December 2012, 02:02   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli
Courtesy Saurabh Jadhav. Who happened to be there and take some fab snaps

Cheers
Nice pics, but wonder why he didn't post them himself. His membership got approved few days back.
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:30   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Rumour has it that after it was sold down south in the 80's it shared garage space with a 190sl which recently changed hands and i am told is back in mumbai now. May be the two will be united again someday who knows ;-)
Hmmm...smell some negotiations happening. Good luck !
67Bug is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks