Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 22:45   #271
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,038
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Maybe buy it from a reseller somewhere if it really is that worth it fro me.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 21:05   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,038
Thanked: 729 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

So after just 2 days of spirited reading on a Kindle keyboard, I'm sold on it. Tremendously easier on the eyes, can read documents and books anywhere, in bed, in the loo, no back aches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, my Kindle is already two years old. The paperwhite kindle sounds interesting.
Sharath, am keen on the paperwhite, but shipping to India is gonna take ages to even be made available. They are struggling just to meet orders in the states. Ordering now, and you'll have it just a couple of days prior to xmas. AND, they've limited it to two pieces per person.

So, if you're getting one, count me in too
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 19:45   #273
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,317
Thanked: 689 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Any feedback on the new paperwhite Kindle?
I bought my mom a Kindle keyboard with WiFi and 3G. I'm planning to take the plunge myself and the Paperwhite Kindle sounds awesome. The lighted display is what sells it for me. But looks like they are struggling to meet demand and moreover, some of the shipped products have had some issues with them. Probably have to wait until Jan till I order.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 09:06   #274
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Hi, Where can I buy a Kindle in India and how much does it cost? I can see that it is not officially supported in India. So what happens in case of a support or warranty issue?
areddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 12:54   #275
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 190
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Hi, Where can I buy a Kindle in India and how much does it cost? I can see that it is not officially supported in India. So what happens in case of a support or warranty issue?
You can get one from Croma. Amazon had tied up with them to start with. Not sure if they expanded the store list

http://www.cromaretail.com/Kindle-e-...15040-160.aspx
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 07:40   #276
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,480
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

More choices for e-books readers. Google play book store now available in India. Lets see how the android based tablets try to make any dent. I dont think though anyone can match Amazon content.


http://www.thinkdigit.com/Apps/Books...-in_13674.html
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 11:56   #277
BHPian
 
nandishpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 475
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

i have a brand new 3g keyboard with pouch,i bought 4 for my family in which 2 are being used @ home.i have 2 to spare which i would like to part with to any of the tbhpians @ the actual cost on amazon.com. the box is completely packed & never opened,will open 1 & share some pictures.
i have the invoice of 189$ for the kindle + 20$ for the pouch.please note this is not a commercial deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Amazon Kindle-img00030201303041145.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by nandishpal : 4th March 2013 at 11:57.
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 18:52   #278
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,314 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

My wife brought us a base level 69 Dollar Kindle last week. No pouch though.
A nice little thingy. Only black and white but it has wi fi so that is lovely.
Very light, very easy to use and read from. No backlight is a bit of a disadvantage but overall it is highly portable very easy on the eyes etc compared to the iPad.
Easy to carry and easy to charge with that USB charger.
The iPad has zillions more functions and I like the page turning effect and colour effects on its iBooks and other e readers.
Portability and tiny size and lightness are the Kindle's strengths.
Good toy indeed and for my type of use I think the base level one is sufficient.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 19:54   #279
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,480
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
No backlight is a bit of a disadvantage but overall it is highly portable very easy on the eyes etc compared to the iPad.
Easy to carry and easy to charge with that USB charger.
The iPad has zillions more functions and I like the page turning effect and colour effects on its iBooks and other e readers.
Portability and tiny size and lightness are the Kindle's strengths.
Good toy indeed and for my type of use I think the base level one is sufficient.
The fact that its not backlit, is the main reason, why its not strain to the eyes. In fact that is its USP !

Meanwhile I just realised that Amazon has started charging for transferring personal documents to Kindle. When did that happen? Is it old news and I did not see it ?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 00:47   #280
BHPian
 
mjumrani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 372
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The fact that its not backlit, is the main reason, why its not strain to the eyes. In fact that is its USP !

Meanwhile I just realised that Amazon has started charging for transferring personal documents to Kindle. When did that happen? Is it old news and I did not see it ?
The backlight on paperwhite doesn't strain the eyes. I have been reading books on it for months now.

Amazon isn't charging for transfer of personal documents to Kindles. I just very recently transferred 2 MOBI files to my kindle by sending them on the kindle email ID.
mjumrani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 02:00   #281
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,480
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
The backlight on paperwhite doesn't strain the eyes. I have been reading books on it for months now.

Amazon isn't charging for transfer of personal documents to Kindles. I just very recently transferred 2 MOBI files to my kindle by sending them on the kindle email ID.
Looks like for 2nd generation Kindle, amazon is charging !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375630
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 02:30   #282
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
The backlight on paperwhite doesn't strain the eyes. I have been reading books on it for months now.

Amazon isn't charging for transfer of personal documents to Kindles. I just very recently transferred 2 MOBI files to my kindle by sending them on the kindle email ID.
it's not the light being behind the screen, the type of lighting that's straning IMO. From what I have read on net, LED is better than CCFL. LED running at low power (flickering on and off) is worse than LED at full power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like for 2nd generation Kindle, amazon is charging !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200375630
Amazon has always charged for documents delivered via whispernet (3G). And never for wifi/USB. I believe it's still the same.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 07:17   #283
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,480
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Amazon has always charged for documents delivered via whispernet (3G). And never for wifi/USB. I believe it's still the same.

Oops ! I thought it was for Wifi ! Thanks for correcting me Vivek.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 11:32   #284
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,233
Thanked: 13,976 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

My Kindle doesn't have 3G. So I was never charged for sending via Kindle email id. But I didn't use Kindle email Id after first few months. Now my Kindle is in the third year, and I use Wifi or USB for all my file transfers. Since my android phone can act like Wifi hotspot, I really don't see a point in having a 3G Kindle.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 18:41   #285
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,480
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since my android phone can act like Wifi hotspot, I really don't see a point in having a 3G Kindle.
Sorry. That was my mistake. I thought Amazon had started charging for converting pdf to mobi. (Nothing to do with 3G/Wifi).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything? Rtech Shifting gears 191 31st July 2017 22:00
Amazon India is now live @ www.amazon.in Nicky Shifting gears 38 26th June 2013 14:52
Amazon backsourcing to Ireland bigman Shifting gears 4 17th June 2006 18:36
Amazon customer service gone downhill ? bigman Shifting gears 3 25th February 2006 02:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks