Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2014, 21:19   #6016
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Could someone suggest .. turn out for the Civic ?

--
Satyam Kaushik
It might be a bit thick for the oil but if you running cng it might be ok.I am running 5w 40 shell helix ultra and the engine is pretty smooth.
Old 13th November 2014, 21:30   #6017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
It might be a bit thick for the oil but if you running cng it might be ok.I am running 5w 40 shell helix ultra and the engine is pretty smooth.
Thanks for the reply sir,
I am running my car all stock on Petrol.
Is this oil not suitable for the 1.8 I-Vtec ? Will it affect the Engine in any way ?
Old 13th November 2014, 21:52   #6018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply sir,
I am running my car all stock on Petrol.
Is this oil not suitable for the 1.8 I-Vtec ? Will it affect the Engine in any way ?
I am not sure if it will affect the engine much but make sure the oil grade is of the required api sf grade.Also be wary of the drain interval if you dont drive much.
I had used mineral mobil 10 w 30 oil in my civic and the car begged for a oil change with 8 to 9 months and less than 5k kms driving.
Old 13th November 2014, 22:38   #6019
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if it will affect the engine much but make sure the oil grade is of the required api sf grade.Also be wary of the drain interval if you dont drive much.
I had used mineral mobil 10 w 30 oil in my civic and the car begged for a oil change with 8 to 9 months and less than 5k kms driving.
Oh Okay.

I just went through the Car Manual, which says that the minimum grade allowed is 10W30 - 10W40.
Moreover the Shell Helix HX7 10w40 is a Semi Synthetic oil, which as per my understanding shall be more superior than the Mobil 10W30 Mineral. So if the Civic can withstand the 10W30 Mineral, it could easily handle the 10W40 Semi-Synthetic then ?

I am confused whether to put in the Shell 10W40 which i have already bought or shall i get it exchanged for the 5W40 if there is a significant difference ?

--
Satyam Kaushik
Old 13th November 2014, 23:14   #6020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh Okay.

I just went through the Car Manual, which says that the minimum grade allowed is 10W30 - 10W40.
Moreover the Shell Helix HX7 10w40 is a Semi Synthetic oil, which as per my understanding shall be more superior than the Mobil 10W30 Mineral. So if the Civic can withstand the 10W30 Mineral, it could easily handle the 10W40 Semi-Synthetic then ?

I am confused whether to put in the Shell 10W40 which i have already bought or shall i get it exchanged for the 5W40 if there is a significant difference ?

--
Satyam Kaushik
OK it just struck me. I had used Total 10w 40 in my Civic for 6 months and quite franky it's a ok oil. I switched over to CNG in april and changed the oil to Shell Helix Ultra 5w 40. I found the engine on Total oil a bit sluggish.

Many people on the forum are using 5w 40 shell helix ultra as a replacement for the OE Idemitsu which is not available in the free market openly. I am finding the Shell much smoother than the Total but still believe the Honda OE synthetic oil is much better. However since i don't go to Hass for service i give it a miss.

I think it's better if you stick to one brand and one grade of oil throughout. I have used the Honda OE semi-synthetic, Mobil 10w 30 and the Total 10W 40. I have settled for the Helix and will be using same in the future but found the Honda OE oil was the best .If you can afford it i would say go for the Helix Ultra or best just go to Hass and request for a simple synthetic oil change and filter. You don't have to give the car for service. Just tell them you have a request for a oil change and they will be obliged to do so. Don't let them pressure you to get anything else done on the car if you don't want to.
Old 14th November 2014, 09:46   #6021
Senior - BHPian

The bottom grade xxW is just for the cold oll, and not significant (unless you like in Ladakh). At the top end is SAE 30 is Ok then SAE 40 may lead to a marginally (say 2%) fuel consumption.
Old 14th November 2014, 10:53   #6022
Distinguished - BHPian

Civic owners, please let me know the number of seat belts in your Civic. Is it 4 or 5? I can see seatbelts for only 4 pax. Moreover, since the RR seatbelt does not lock, I have a feeling that there could be another seatbelt under the seat covers.

Also, one of my friend who bought a new Toyota Etios about an year ago or so, got some insurance plan which also covers repairs like part failures, rat bite damages, etc. This decision was justified when a rat bit some sensors and the throttle pedal did not respond. Toyota quoted 40K for the repair which was paid through insurance. I would be interested in such a policy if I can buy for my used Civic which is currently on normal comprehensive insurance plan.

Thanks.

Last edited by saket77 : 14th November 2014 at 10:55.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:03   #6023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Civic owners, please let me know the number of seat belts in your Civic. Is it 4 or 5?
Four regular-ones and one lap-belt for the rear-middle passenger.

Last edited by manim : 14th November 2014 at 12:04.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 12:09   #6024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Four regular-ones and one lap-belt for the rear-middle passenger.
Evidence that the lap-belt and a locking buckle is hidden under the seat covers. Will try to 'dig' them up. Thanks!
Old 14th November 2014, 12:33   #6025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Evidence that the lap-belt and a locking buckle is hidden under the seat covers. Will try to 'dig' them up
Yes!

Since I always travel with a maximum of four adults, I deliberately push the lap belt out of view between the seats/center-hand-rest.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 18:35   #6026
BHPian

Quote:
Does it vibrate when you hit the brakes above 100 or just vibrates around 100 kmph. If vibration is on braking then the front disc might be needed to be skimmed or replaced.If that is not the case then the wheels might need balancing.
Thanks, it vibrates when it touches 100 KMPH but I don't brake. I just take my foot off the Accelerator and let it come down to 95 KMPH. Then it does not vibrate. I will check the wheel balancing option but at what intervals do you have to perform ?

I got my wheels balanced 2K KMS ago only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Check your tyres and alignment. That's usually the problem if the steering wheel is vibrating at higher speeds.
I shall surely do that. Thank You
Old 14th November 2014, 21:17   #6027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Thanks, it vibrates when it touches 100 KMPH but I don't brake. I just take my foot off the Accelerator and let it come down to 95 KMPH. Then it does not vibrate. I will check the wheel balancing option but at what intervals do you have to perform ?
I got my wheels balanced 2K KMS ago only.
I shall surely do that. Thank You
Wheel balancing should be done every 5K kms. Not all wheel balancing shops are competent.Find one from team bhp directory which are of repute.
Old 15th November 2014, 12:38   #6028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The folks at Ghai Spares have been in this business for a very long time and have a good reputation. Rs 1900 was a steal too.
Hi coolkurt, do the folks at Ghai spares sell rear tail lamps for the civic. I am in the look out for a 2007 model Rear Right tail lamp on the dicky (the second one from the right, round one, pre face lift) for me. HASS says its something like 3800 INR, I was wondering what would be at Ghai Spares before deciding.

It's a minor crack, so I have ample time in hand before a replacement.

Any one knows the part number?
Old 15th November 2014, 12:47   #6029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hi coolkurt, do the folks at Ghai spares sell rear tail lamps for the civic. I am in the look out for a 2007 model Rear Right tail lamp on the dicky (the second one from the right, round one, pre face lift) for me. HASS says its something like 3800 INR, I was wondering what would be at Ghai Spares before deciding.

I got mine for 1950 for the left side. See if the details on the box are of any help to you. It's Depo branded, Taiwan made.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dp2.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dp3.jpg
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 15:32   #6030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

Well, I got the inner tail lamps for Rs 800 ( or was it Rs 1100? I'm sorry but it's been a while I bought 'em) per piece from Ghai Spares.

Last edited by coolkurt : 15th November 2014 at 15:34. Reason: addnl info
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks