Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 12:19   #1516
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
There is a test drive Polo GT Tsi sept 2013 model,done 8500 Kms. They are quoting 8.8 Lakh, OTR ( with free insurance & some little freebies). The current price of a new polo GT tsi is about 9.3 OTR. Is the deal worth it?
Most of the TD cars are driven to the limits(hard acceleration, hard braking, redlining revs). Moreover since GTs are rev-friendly customers would have driven these TD cars really hard.
I have also seen SAs taking these cars for the spin(may be they were taking it to the customer's place for the TD).

So, unless I get a huge discount(i.e around 30%) along with some assurance(i.e. extended warranty), I would not even consider these.
Old 9th March 2014, 13:08   #1517
BHPian

Test drove the TSI today and it lived up to its FTD billing. The power delivery is linear and smooth, just loved the way the DSG downshifts when you floor the pedal. The tiptronic mode is actually redundant with the Sports mode available.

The brakes were a bit of a disappointment though, not enough bite as compared to the Linea's. Maybe because these are not all discs.

Am surprised they do not offer extended warranty on the TSI, given the DSG's nature this would have found more acceptance
Old 9th March 2014, 14:42   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Here are the pictures. What can be done for this ?
Sorry for the late response. Yes, do get the denting painting done. Bare metal is visible that leads to rust soon. Consolation though is, it not being a very prominent part, generally imperfect workmanship from dealer wouldn't affect much.
v.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 14:57   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Am surprised they do not offer extended warranty on the TSI, given the DSG's nature this would have found more acceptance
The extended warranty is coming in March, maybe as early as next week.
Old 9th March 2014, 15:05   #1520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The extended warranty is coming in March, maybe as early as next week.
hi !

Are you sure about this ? Is this available for the vento TSi too then ?
Old 9th March 2014, 15:07   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
hi !

Are you sure about this ? Is this available for the vento TSi too then ?
Yes to both questions.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 18:31   #1522
Distinguished - BHPian

I was talking to a colleague in Israel. He just bought the Skoda Octavia III but with 1.2 TSi engine + DSG. I was discussing with him about the DSG - how it's the best gearbox around but it's better to shift to N while waiting on a red light, etc. He said likes the way DSG shifts, and his car also has a start/stop system.

Now I am thinking how DSG copes up with start/stop? Does it automatically shift to N/P? Any idea?

Last edited by anandpadhye : 11th March 2014 at 18:33.
Old 11th March 2014, 18:51   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Yes to both questions.
hey
You were right !
Got a call from the dealer here in chennai confirming the availability of the extended warranty. priced at 41000 INR for 2 extra years.
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 19:02   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey
You were right !
Got a call from the dealer here in chennai confirming the availability of the extended warranty. priced at 41000 INR for 2 extra years.
41k?!?! Whoa! I was expecting it to be more expensive than the extra 2 years for the regular car but not four times as much. Is that for the Vento TSI?

Last edited by StarScream : 11th March 2014 at 19:05.
Old 11th March 2014, 20:34   #1525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Got a call from the dealer here in chennai confirming the availability of the extended warranty. priced at 41000 INR for 2 extra years.
What?! They don't want anyone to buy the EW,so that if something goes wrong, they can charge a bomb?!

How do they consistently manage such blunders?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 03:12   #1526
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I was talking to a colleague in Israel. He just bought the Skoda Octavia III but with 1.2 TSi engine + DSG. I was discussing with him about the DSG - how it's the best gearbox around but it's better to shift to N while waiting on a red light, etc. He said likes the way DSG shifts, and his car also has a start/stop system.

Now I am thinking how DSG copes up with start/stop? Does it automatically shift to N/P? Any idea?
Since the engine is off there is obviously no strain on the DSG, so whether in D or N it makes no difference.
Old 12th March 2014, 07:02   #1527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What?! They don't want anyone to buy the EW,so that if something goes wrong, they can charge a bomb?!

How do they consistently manage such blunders?
It's probably the other way around. Due to the dsg failure scare and the fact that a dsg failure outside warranty can break the bank, most owners would still buy this for peace of mind. VW knows this and are probably seeing it as a way to make some good money. In addition as mentioned in the vento tsi thread, extended warranty is partially covered by insurance companies and they would have kept a hefty premium keeping in mind the dsg history.
Old 12th March 2014, 10:24   #1528
BHPian

I would like to think that the extended warranty pricing computation would have been done with the following formulae:

a = probability of DSG failure for any reason in the extended warranty period (adjusted for base)
b = likely cost of parts + duties + shipping + taxes
c = profit margin

Warranty price = a*b*c

We know that "b" is likely to be very high because the whole box may need to be replaced in most cases + added customs & shipping. This may include transfer price at full profit margin from the source

I do not think "c" will be high, it will be standard margins kept for warranty

I think "a" will be kept as standard across all markets assuming the base size is representative (maybe 1000 or so?!)

So I think the price is high on account of "b" and not "c"

Cheers,
Old 12th March 2014, 10:32   #1529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Since the engine is off there is obviously no strain on the DSG, so whether in D or N it makes no difference.
So you are saying engine shuts down in D1 and restarts in D1 (slipping the clutch)?
Old 12th March 2014, 13:49   #1530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
It's probably the other way around. Due to the dsg failure scare and the fact that a dsg failure outside warranty can break the bank, most owners would still buy this for peace of mind. VW knows this and are probably seeing it as a way to make some good money. In addition as mentioned in the vento tsi thread, extended warranty is partially covered by insurance companies and they would have kept a hefty premium keeping in mind the dsg history.
Charging a bomb is one thing. My concern is, when & if something goes wrong, how much would they honor warranty! If this is a "No conditions" warranty, I would NOT mind paying it. But if they are gonna give super shi**y excuses and deny warranty for one thing or the other, thats when the owners are going to feel the pinch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks