Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 07:46   #1936
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

The central locking on the Vento is a big fail. Apparently VW is aware of the poor user response is and corrrecting this in the next version. In fact according to GTO (earlier on in this thread) the original set of cars including the one TBHP TD-ed didn't even have central locking. So it's possible they just added it as a last minute feature without thinking it through.

Talking of fails, the Vento is supposed to flash a seatbelt warning if the car exceeds 25 kmph and driver's seatbelt is unfastened. At least that's what the manual says. Has anyone actually seen/heard this warning? Even my humble Swift faithfully tells me that my seatbelt is unfastened. It's true what @msprabhakar says, hen you try to be too clever by half, you end up overlooking the basics.
Old 20th April 2011, 09:25   #1937
Senior - BHPian

A small child should never be allowed to sit in the front seat. Even if you want the child to be on front seat the child should be in a car seat facing rearwards with your air bag off. You cannot blame the car manufacturer for these habits of Indians. Ideally you should have your child in the rear seat with a child seat and the door locked using the child lock.

@msprabhakar - Maybe you should use the rear window locks provided so that your furry friend doesn't open the window. You could use the child lock as well to prevent him from opening the rear latch
Old 20th April 2011, 09:55   #1938
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as I know, this central locking mechanism will not be rectified as these cars are designed this way. The only way for the child is to be seated at the back and engage the child lock from out.
Old 20th April 2011, 10:27   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The central locking on the Vento is a big fail. Apparently VW is aware of the poor user response is and corrrecting this in the next version. In fact according to GTO (earlier on in this thread) the original set of cars including the one TBHP TD-ed didn't even have central locking. So it's possible they just added it as a last minute feature without thinking it through.

Talking of fails, the Vento is supposed to flash a seatbelt warning if the car exceeds 25 kmph and driver's seatbelt is unfastened. At least that's what the manual says. Has anyone actually seen/heard this warning? Even my humble Swift faithfully tells me that my seatbelt is unfastened. It's true what @msprabhakar says, hen you try to be too clever by half, you end up overlooking the basics.
Seeing the discussion on locks I am seriously worried. Does it mean that when locked centrally , the car doors can be opened from inside ? Also is there or isn't there any child locks on rear door ?

Man I have two naughty kids aged 7 and 2.5. They are tech savvy as in they like to push buttons and fiddle with levers and knobs and definitely so on a new car. So this is really worrying. Say it isn't so.....
Old 20th April 2011, 12:52   #1940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Seeing the discussion on locks I am seriously worried. Does it mean that when locked centrally , the car doors can be opened from inside ? Also is there or isn't there any child locks on rear door ?

Man I have two naughty kids aged 7 and 2.5. They are tech savvy as in they like to push buttons and fiddle with levers and knobs and definitely so on a new car. So this is really worrying. Say it isn't so.....
Yes, the doors can be opened from inside. Rear doors are safe when the child lock is enabled. So, the best place for your kids would definitely be the rear seats with the child locks enabled.
Old 20th April 2011, 13:20   #1941
BHPian

In addition to the earlier erratic boot closing issue. Last evening apparently the AC, indicators and windows refused to work. However, later on switching off the engine and starting again, they resumed functioning.

Do you guys think my car has a problem with the electricals or its something else? Planning to take it to the Navi Mumbai KSM workshop to sort this out. Its a pain when these happen in a new car, that too from VW
Old 20th April 2011, 14:19   #1942
Senior - BHPian

Got an SMS from VW Cochin about extended warranty programs for Polo/Vento. The prices quoted are:

Vento-P: 10599
Vento-D: 11199
Polo-P: 7199
Polo-D: 7899
Old 20th April 2011, 14:44   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I am a Vento owner . How can you allow your child to be seated in the front seat and that too when you are cruising at 100+???
The child was not alone; he was seated at his mother's lap, who just dozed for a little while. What I prefer is some solution like in the Jetta, where one pull at the door inside handle merely unlocks; the next pull opens.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:46   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svis View Post
In addition to the earlier erratic boot closing issue. Last evening apparently the AC, indicators and windows refused to work. However, later on switching off the engine and starting again, they resumed functioning.

Do you guys think my car has a problem with the electricals or its something else? Planning to take it to the Navi Mumbai KSM workshop to sort this out. Its a pain when these happen in a new car, that too from VW
Looks like an electrical issue, get it checked. I agree it is indeed a pain when this happens with a new car especially when it is VW which is supposed to be the ultimate in perfection.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:52   #1945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
The child was not alone; he was seated at his mother's lap, who just dozed for a little while. What I prefer is some solution like in the Jetta, where one pull at the door inside handle merely unlocks; the next pull opens.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but was this child of yours belted in? If not, you might want to do some basic physics calculations to see what kind of forces will be exerted in a hard stop even at a "low" speed of 40Kmph, leave alone 100. But that is the parent's call to make with respect to child safety.

I see plenty of toddlers actually tootling the horn, standing as they are on the seat between driver and wheel. All the best when the airbag has to deploy.

Nice to know my 2002 Palio has a door handle that unlocks on one pull, and opens on the next, and that the front passenger can do this as well. Guess the Fiat was 10 years ahead of its time!
Old 20th April 2011, 15:10   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
As far as I know, this central locking mechanism will not be rectified as these cars are designed this way. The only way for the child is to be seated at the back and engage the child lock from out.
That is sad; it is not as if the technology is not available with VW. If they can have it in Jetta (2 step operation: 1st pull-unlock, 2nd pull- open), why not in Vento? Is such a basic safety need less important for customers paying 3 lacs less? After that incident, I am all too concious about the whereabouts of my kid / door handle more than the road itself. Pathetic situation. I felt much more secure "within" even in my 3Lac rupee Alto Lxi. And child lock at the rear, though an option, is too inconvinient & doesn't serve my purpose completely.
Old 20th April 2011, 18:42   #1947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
... especially when it is VW which is supposed to be the ultimate in perfection.
I don't think that even VW would claim that!
Old 20th April 2011, 20:02   #1948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have a feeling that there is some problem here. Get it checked soon. I know that feeling. I faced a similar situation few weeks back. VW will surely get this rectified. Not to worry.
Old 20th April 2011, 20:13   #1949
BHPian

Quote:

Before touching anything else, please have VW check the battery earthing connections. Might be a quick fix. Good luck and drive safe!
Old 20th April 2011, 21:26   #1950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Got an SMS from VW Cochin about extended warranty programs for Polo/Vento. The prices quoted are:

Vento-P: 10599
Vento-D: 11199
Polo-P: 7199
Polo-D: 7899
Does it mean 2+2 years?
What about kms?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks