Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Old 6th December 2018, 11:31   #1006
BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
Sure. thank you . will find out more. However this dealer is a Jeep company dealer that sells new Jeep vehicles as well (not independent dealers)
Okay.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...bangalore.html (Damaged Jeep Compass delivered by KHT Motors, Bangalore)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-replaced.html (Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-customer.html (Landmark Jeep staff beat up a customer)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...d-compass.html (Sky Moto Jeep (Pune) sells me a Repainted Compass)
Viju is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2018, 17:40   #1007
BHPian

Okay .. so how can I get this inspected for repaint or accidental damage? Service history if any will have to be relied upon from jeep authorised service center computer records, however service center is owned by same dealer.
saurabhb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 16:24   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
This car has one comment from recent service which has got me worried. It is mentioned that Oil Sump has a dent and needs to be replaced. Enquired casually with Service center and cost goes up to 50k.
I would say it's a good deal since you have the entire service history and it's a less run Toyota. Oil sump dent is no big deal in sedans in India because of our roads, potholes and boulders. The owner must be dumb if he wants to sell the car just because the oil sump has a dent and he has to shell out 50k.

Infact many owners look for excuses to sell their cars to upgrade to newer cars. Excuses could be anything like a anticipated large service bill, neighbouring Sharma ji bought a newer car, junior bought a new car, midlife crisis or whatever with the most common being the first reason.

Get him to shave off that 50k in the price and I think you should be good to go.

Last edited by bharatbits : 31st December 2018 at 16:27.
bharatbits is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 16:25   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
I would say it's a good deal since you have the entire service history.

I went ahead and got the car last Sunday. A long-term ownership thread coming soon. I would say that car is solid in every way and a pleasure to drive.
vivek.ks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 16:51   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
Sure. thank you . will find out more. However this dealer is a Jeep company dealer that sells new Jeep vehicles as well (not independent dealers)
Afaik odometer can be reset once before the dealer hands over the car to the customer. This feature is present in Fiat cars and is done to give the customer a feel of having bought a brand new car with odometer starting from 0 on delivery.

My friends Linea odometer cable got disconnected and he used it for nearly 7k kms before getting it fixed.

The above scenarios are possible but with the owner not having the intent to cheat.

If cheating is the intent then odometer tampering could also be possible.

Selling a car in barely 300 kms sounds fishy. Even to realise that the car I bought for 25 lakhs does not suit me or meet my needs I would drive for atleast 3000 kms to take a call. Talking to the registered owner will unearth lot of details. I am just playing devil's advocate. Do your research before putting in your money.

If I were in your place I would not be comfortable putting in such money with doubts in my mind. I'd prefer a Hexa or the XUV or any other car off the showroom more so because you also seem to be obsessed with the new car smell.
bharatbits is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 17:23   #1011
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
But, as per my guess the dealer must have bought it for somewhere between 70-75%(7.4L-7.95L) of the OTR price.
I am yet to come across any dealer that actually buys the cars before he sells (ofcourse unless the seller is in urgency and offering at a very very tempting price). All dealers I came across follow the 'park and sell' model.
bharatbits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 20:49   #1012
BHPian

Default ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

If I am not mistaken, there was an ongoing scheme of 50k for 4x4 models around the time of registration and many people went for it.
Either he purchased it at that time for 50k more and is looking to make some profit from it (from the second highest model) or something is fishy, cause 300kms is way too less for a vehicle this nice to be sold.

During the length of the programme, customers who have either booked or are considering buying a lower-spec 4x2 Compass (available in Sport, Longitude, Longitude Option and Limited variants) can get the higher Limited 4x4 trim.

While the upgrade (for Rs 50,000) is available on all lower-spec trims regardless of the powertrain, there is a caveat. For example, if a customer has booked a Longitude 4x2 2.0D (priced at Rs 17.52 lakh), they will have to pay the Rs 1.69 lakh difference between the trim and the Limited 4x2 (costing Rs 19.21 lakh), after which the Rs 50,000 offer can be availed to upgrade further to the Limited 4x4 trim (costing Rs 21.18 lakh). Thanks to the offer, customers can save up to Rs 1.47 lakh, which is the price difference between the Limited 4x2 and Limited 4x4.

This offer is available on the 173hp, 2.0-litre diesel engine and the 163hp, 1.4-litre turbo-petrol motor. The former is mated exclusively to a six-speed manual transmission and gets 4WD as an option while the latter gets a six-speed manual on lower trims and a seven-speed dual-clutch unit on higher ones, though is limited to 2WD only.

Source: https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.autocarindia.com/car-news-amp/jeep-announces-attractive-offers-on-its-compass-4x4-407931

Last edited by GranvilleDsouza : 11th January 2019 at 20:52.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   Reply With Quote