Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 12th July 2019, 10:00   #1216
BHPian

I need a suggestion,

There is a black carpet like thin material that is installed on the hood of the vehicle. It reduces the noise from the engine.

In the last to last service, the Hyundai ASS people managed to misplace it. After a little drama, they promised to have one fit during the next service.

And viola! When I went to the ASS centre, all employees are new not a single old employee.

Anyways, I am in search of this product. I am not sure where to find it. I am only interested in noise reduction from the engine. The hood heats up due to the engine running and I personally want to stay away from heat insulation for the hood.

A plain simple product that can be installed under the hood to reduce sound. Has anyone purchased this before or does anyone know a place in Bangalore where I can pick it up from, please do let me know. (yes, JC Road is the place to go, but a recommended shop would be appreciated. Over the years a lot of new shops have sprung up and not all of them do a decent job)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Hey everyone, I have an Octavia 1.8 TSi, being petrol its comparatively silent but road noises irritates me. Can you please suggest which sheet/sound deadening material to use, how much quantity will be needed and how much budget should I take to make it super silent ?

Please note, I have no such inclination for ICE, basic idea is sound proofing.

Sorry for OT, though tyres (OEM Goodyear) have done just 20k, but I want to change the same for above-mentioned reason, So suggestions will be really appreciated.
If I'm not wrong, Octavia comes with factory fit sound deadening material. I would suggest the following:-

1. Go for dynamat/alternatives for the floor of your car. The product will look like a thick rubber carpet.

2. For the door panels, additional sound absorbing material would be needed.

3. The back of the rear seats, which faces the boot, you can add a layer of sound deadening material. Try driving with the last row folded. You will shocked to see the noise entering the cabin from the boot.

4. If the road noise is noticed at higher speeds only then a tyre change would be needed

5. Check the door seal strips. Replace them with thicker ones or aftermarket ones. They seem to do a much better job in terms of acoustic insulation. I had done the same for my Scorpio and there was a noticeable difference.

Hope this helps

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th July 2019 at 20:08. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Typos corrected
Shashwat B is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2019, 19:04   #1217
BHPian

Default Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Has anyone tried installing damping mats / damping paint(spray) in the wheel wells (between the body shell and the plastic cladding) in any car ? Want to explore this.
venkyhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2019, 20:13   #1218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat B View Post
I am only interested in noise reduction from the engine. The hood heats up due to the engine running and I personally want to stay away from heat insulation for the hood.
Had installed damping sheet under the hood of my car, though even I was a bit skeptical about the heating aspect - seems to be holding perfectly well after about 3 years and 52k kms. Bought the material and got it installed at High Definition Cars, Jayanagar (Haven't visited the place recently though).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4067387 (A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 1,80,000 km up!)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 10:19   #1219
BHPian

Has anybody tried using CTK damping sheets. It is a new product from Ukraine and lot of Delhi installers seeem to be using it. Any reviews on its performance by Audio gurus. Thanks
MADMAX111 is offline   Reply With Quote