Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 01:50   #2041
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Just received SJcam from Aliexpress. Total cost was Rs4.7K for camera plus Rs744 taken by postman.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-d517d1d647844c4ea9278bf0a1841b83.jpeg  

Old 19th March 2018, 07:52   #2042
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

Need some advice. My building friend has requested me to suggest front and rear view dashcams for his Honda BRV. For front I could suggest Yi Dashcam which I have in my Punto, I have shown a demo to my friend and he is Ok with it unless there is a better choice out there.

What should I suggest to him? According to him the budget for both the dashcams should not exceed 10K although 12K stretch is still ok.
Old 19th March 2018, 20:10   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What should I suggest to him? According to him the budget for both the dashcams should not exceed 10K although 12K stretch is still ok.
Please consider Mini 0906 and Aukey DR02D. These are budget dual channel dash cameras within the specified budget. I use Mini0906 and found it good for the money.
maverickmano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 07:44   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Cost should not be a limit when you are selecting Dashcams. Don't get me wrong, but I will consider Dashcams in par with Airbags. They are a must.

If you are looking for options, consider these points before you narrow down.

1. Good build quality.

2. GPS enabled.

3. Support for large storage capacity cards.

4. Manufacturer support

5. Always go for both front (in cabin) and rear (in cabin).

6. Support for longer duration turn off timer.

7. Voice recording.

8. G sensor and Automatic footage safe store.
Prithm sir I totally agree with your above mentioned points. After a few narrow escapes I am seriously considering getting a dashcam. Which one do you suggest and any online links to purchase it from?
Old 20th March 2018, 07:55   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Prithm sir I totally agree with your above mentioned points. After a few narrow escapes I am seriously considering getting a dashcam. Which one do you suggest and any online links to purchase it from?
Most welcome sir.

Though, I should not suggest brands (since I am not affiliated to any organization or with commercial interest), I can always help.

Depending on your budget, you have lot of options in etailers like Amazon, Flipkart etc. If you are planning to purchase from abroad, then wait for festive seasons (like Black Friday, Christmas holidays etc.) since you will get really good deals during those times. If planning to get in India, then check for ones with GPS support. Alibaba lists a lot of Chinese brands, if you are comfortable using them.

If you are buying, go for both for front windshield (good quality) and rear glass (depending on reserve budget) too.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 08:01   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Most welcome sir.

Though, I should not suggest brands (since I am not affiliated to any organization.
That was lightening quick. I am fairly new to this dashcam thing and not much of a technology geek either, so don't know which brand and configuration I should go for. The budget is set 10k for a pair and it should have some warranty for the same.
Thanks in advance.
Old 20th March 2018, 08:30   #2047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
That was lightening quick. I am fairly new to this dashcam thing and not much of a technology geek either, so don't know which brand and configuration I should go for. The budget is set 10k for a pair and it should have some warranty for the same.
Thanks in advance.
Very tight budget, but there are options available.

Pointing you to a simple point and shoot with no geeky stuff.

Just make sure you get multi 12v socket splitter and one long USB extension wire so that it can reach your rear glass.

Check for SD card size supported in cam (mostly not included with dashcam and has to be bought separately) and dash cam holder (suction type) if not part of the package.

Good luck and drive safe. May it capture only happy moments.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 14:13   #2048
BHPian

Looking at picking up a dash cam for my Ecosport. Appreciate inputs from members with experience of any of these devices:

AUKEY 1080p Dash Cam with 6-Lane 170°
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FGL63X..._sEmSAbCBEBP9Z

Rexing V1 Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE..._jHmSAbTX1ZRG7

Pruveeo F5 Dash Cam with WiFi, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KZWMGFY..._lImSAbEZHNJ3S

The Pruveeo looks to be quite value for money, but couldn’t find any reference to any of these brands on this thread.
Old 20th March 2018, 17:48   #2049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Looking at picking up a dash cam for my Ecosport. Appreciate inputs from members with experience of any of these devices:

AUKEY 1080p Dash Cam with 6-Lane 170°

Rexing V1 Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p

Pruveeo F5 Dash Cam with WiFi,
If you'd be so kind as to dis-regard what i'd stated on this thread somewhat recently (where I'd advocated for using an action cam - the SJCAM), go in for the Viofo A119S. A lot of European and American drivers have pretty much sworn by this one since 2017, as did some Tbhp members on this same thread. Look for it on Aliexpress or Banggood. I have seen combos of the A119s along with a GPS (for geo-location info and speed info), hard-wiring kit and a Circular Polarising Filter (CPL). The cost was around INR 8-10 K. The CPL helps eliminate headlight glare in order to capture number plates of other cars at night.

The Viofo A119S only offers 135 degree field of vision but it apparently outperforms in most other aspects.

Do not go for the Viofo A119 (without the 'S') as it had a problem with its GPS pin getting stuck. The A119S was an improvement over the A119.

The Aukey sells well on the US market but it's not hot in their market. The Rexing was plagued by paid user reviews and I failed to spot a single genuine user review, when I searched for a dashcam for my (now sold) SUV in the US back in 2015.

PS: I was all set to purchase the SJCAM Sj6 Legend for multi-use as a dashcam, helmet-cam and action-cam, but I soon realized that I can't leave the SJ6 in the car when parked since it runs on batteries. The A119S comes with capacitors, so it'll survive excess temperatures.

Last edited by locusjag : 20th March 2018 at 17:51.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 19:27   #2050
Senior - BHPian

Feeling lazy to search. Pardon me for the noob question.

For those who have ordered through AliExpress or other international websites, do we get contacted by anyone from customs for paying the customs duty? Or do the courier companies handle them? I would like to know the process for acquiring items above Rs.10k worth.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th March 2018, 21:26   #2051
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
For those who have ordered through AliExpress or other international websites, do we get contacted by anyone from customs for paying the customs duty? Or do the courier companies handle them? I would like to know the process for acquiring items above Rs.10k worth.
Please see the online shopping thread for wisdom and experience on these things.

Link:

Probably best to read backwards from the end for up-to-date cover.

I only recently started shopping in China. No very expensive items, mostly stuff coming in post. No customs duty yet. But... You pay the postman. Or the post office if the amount is large.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 22:00   #2052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The CPL helps eliminate headlight glare in order to capture number plates of other cars at night.

The Viofo A119S only offers 135 degree field of vision but it apparently outperforms in most other aspects.

Do not go for the Viofo A119 (without the 'S') as it had a problem with its GPS pin getting stuck. The A119S was an improvement over the A119.
No, a CPL reduces reflection of the dashboard. At night the CPL increases motion blur as the camera needs to use longer exposures to compensate for the couple of Stops (or more) of light being lost.

Pins getting stuck was an issue with the V1 design. GPS mount for both models is the same. The A119S model uses a STARVIS sensor by Sony (IMX291 - 2MP), the A119 uses Omnivision's OV4689 - 4MP.
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 12:53   #2053
Senior - BHPian

Need some help.

Assuming 480p is the best compromise between file size and clarity, which camera has the longest loop recording time for 480p video on a 32gb/64gb SD card?

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st March 2018, 14:33   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Need some help.

Assuming 480p is the best compromise between file size and clarity, which camera has the longest loop recording time for 480p video on a 32gb/64gb SD card?

Thanks in advance.
I guess that higher resolution is required to read license plates if you ever need to do so.
Old 21st March 2018, 14:55   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I guess that higher resolution is required to read license plates if you ever need to do so.
Oh! pardon me, I thought one can read the license plate in a 480p video. In that case I am in need of a dash cam that can efficiently record 780p video, with longer loop times and overall recordings of about 24 hours, preferably in 32gb memory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks