Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2018, 08:31   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Hey guys, I was looking for a car dashcam that I could on sometimes even take out & use for video logging
I am sure you would have come across the SJCam SJ4000 WiFi. Going by user experiences, it is a viable alternative for the Hero GoPro series, which are the go to action cameras. You can purchase a car mount separately and use it as a dual purpose recorder.
Old 15th October 2018, 21:35   #2477
BHPian

I drive 2015 Ford figo, i am not sure which fuse / fuse tap to be used? micro 2 is it?
I could not find any figo owner going through a smooth plug-in kind of installation in TBHP.

Or should I just use USB power source.
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 10:34   #2478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Hi, I am currently in the UK and have narrowed down on either the Garmin 55 or the Transcend 230. Both are around the same price at approx £110 ~ 10K INR. Any suggestions on which one to go for? Or any other recommendations?

Cheers.
Not sure if its too late, but Garmin is better if you are planning to have a well all around no-frills Dashcam. I have Garmin 20 for last 3 years and has worked just like what I intended it to. Battery capacity is a problem that plagues all dashcams in tropical regions and will wane as time progresses and extreme high cabin temperatures that they experience during summers and parking in Sun.

Other than that, I have no complaints. GPS is spot on and high precision one with correct velocity reading and directions.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
I drive 2015 Ford figo, i am not sure which fuse / fuse tap to be used? micro 2 is it?
I could not find any figo owner going through a smooth plug-in kind of installation in TBHP.

I will suggest to go for 12v lighter socket than USB. If you manage to have a multi 12v socket (like the ones in Amazon/Flipkart), it is easier to manage and remove when needed. The advantage of that is you can remove the entire set up in matter of minutes should a need arise.

Last edited by prithm : 16th October 2018 at 10:37.
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 10:44   #2479
Senior - BHPian

I am facing issues with dash cam mount. I was using a 3M double sided tape to fix the dash cam on the windshield. It worked (remained fixed) well during the months of monsoon and winter. During summer the 3M tape gave up due to heat in the car. After that, I started using suction cup mount and face the same problem during summer.

Is there any proper way to mount dash cam to other than 3M tape or suction cup. I am using an SJCam M10 as a dashcam. I like to keep my dashboard clean, so I stick this cam on the windshield under IRVM.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 11:53   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
During summer the 3M tape gave up due to heat in the car.
Surprising. I have a 3M tape on my Yi dashcam and it has seen one summer of 40 deg C in Thane and is still holding. The suction type mount used for the Mapmyindia unit falls off every summer. I still feel you should stick to the 3M tape.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 12:02   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
summer. I still feel you should stick to the 3M tape.
Thanks ghodlur for your input.

So far, I was using 3M tape came with SJ cam mount. It's highly possible that they are not original. I "ll buy this tape from the authorised 3M shop and try it again. Is there any model number or specification of these tapes?
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 12:26   #2482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am facing issues with dash cam mount. I was using a 3M double sided tape to fix the dash cam on the windshield. It worked (remained fixed) well during the months of monsoon and winter. During summer the 3M tape gave up due to heat in the car. After that, I started using suction cup mount and face the same problem during summer.

Is there any proper way to mount dash cam to other than 3M tape or suction cup. I am using an SJCam M10 as a dashcam. I like to keep my dashboard clean, so I stick this cam on the windshield under IRVM.
Happened with me as well. The seller provided tapes are usually sub-standard. I tried to use a 3M one too, but with much the same result in Delhi heat. Since I was sure of the positioning and didn't see myself installing/removing it all too often, I put in a drop of Feviquick while reinstalling with a new tape. It has been stuck for 2+ years now.

I have a Mini 0805, so the base remains fixed on the windshield and I can remove the cam (if needed) without issues. I haven't removed the cam too frequently though - maybe a handful of times.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 12:29   #2483
Team-BHP Support

Procus Rush 2.0 16MP 4K HD Action Camera

Bought it for my bike.
From Amazon during their sale for Rs 6154. At this price it was a steal. On top of it, it is a No Cost Emi for 3 months.

The build quality is nice. Lots of mounts and they even gave a bag to keep it in. I was not expecting the bag.

bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 13:01   #2484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe a clip like this? https://sjcam.com/product/transparen...sjcam-cameras/

You could clip it to the headliner, for instance.

Quote:
1X New Travel Quick Clip Accessories for All SJCAM Cameras
QuickClip can attach to other objects between 0.12 – 0.4″” thick
QuickClip Enables Low-Profile Mounting
Compatible with All SJCAM Camera Models
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-transparenttravelquickclipaccessoriesforallsjcamcameras.jpg
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 14:04   #2485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post

I own the Aspire and I have hardwired my dashcam, among other additional connections. I have posted about it in arunphilip's hardwiring thread.

Read the posts for here onwards for my diy:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4121124 (DIY: Hardwiring your Dashcam)

The car uses Micro2 fuses. You might have to order the fuse taps and the fuses off AliExpress as they are not available locally.

Last edited by samaspire : 16th October 2018 at 14:10.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 16:55   #2486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Not sure if its too late, but Garmin is better if you are planning to have a well all around no-frills Dashcam. I have Garmin 20 for last 3 years and has worked just like what I intended it to. Battery capacity is a problem that plagues all dashcams in tropical regions and will wane as time progresses and extreme high cabin temperatures that they experience during summers and parking in Sun.

Other than that, I have no complaints. GPS is spot on and high precision one with correct velocity reading and directions.

Cheers.
Thanks for the helpful info. I did a lot of research and zeroed in on the Nextbase 512GW. It's very popular in the UK and has some great specs: 1440p recording at 30fps, 1080p at 60fps, 140 degree wide angle, GPS, WiFi, HDR, WDR and a polarising filter.

It normally retails for £150 but Amazon were doing it for £118 and the seller provided a £15 coupon so £103 (10k INR) is great VFM! It also has a powered magnetic mount which should be easy to remove and attach the camera at will, with no cables actually going into the camera. Also picked up the official hardwiring kit (£15) and a 128gb Samsung Evo micro sd card (£25).

Probably massive overkill for my requirements but it was a great deal and has great reviews so very happy.
Old 16th October 2018, 21:57   #2487
BHPian

Not sure if I should be posting this here on the car dealership thread.

I recently booked a Hyundai Verna here in chennai. While speaking to the sales associate, I mentioned that I would be buying a dash camera which I want the dealership to install. She spoke to the service centre and they have said that they won't be able to install it as it's not a hyundai genuine accessory and that installing it outside could possibly void the warranty. I said that didn't make any sense as it is just a dashcam. It seems that they don't have anyone who knows how to install it. They spoke internally on the phone in front of me and there was a lot of confusion on whether I wanted the output of the camera on the entertainment system! I had to clarify what I meant by the Dashcam but still they claimed that they don't have the expertise to install it.

I wrote to Hyundai also and in their typical fashion, they have chosen not to respond. I got a response after 5 days saying that they are unable to reach me.

Really surprised that I am being discouraged from installing a dashcam by the dealer as well as hyundai.
RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 23:22   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Really surprised that I am being discouraged from installing a dashcam by the dealer as well as hyundai.
You really don't need a dealer to install a dashcam. Almost all of them are ready to use straight out of the box. You either use a power outlet or a USB port and stick the holder or the suction mount, mostly, behind your IRVM. They are easy to use with self explanatory menus. Concealing the wires is an easy DIY job. Search this thread and you will easily find an instruction, or go to YouTube. Hardwiring it will need some professional help if you are not the DIY type. If you need help with anything, please do mention it here in this thread.

Unless your dashcam catches fire and damages the car due to it being of extremely inferior quality, or something similar, I don't see a reason why a dashcam should void your warranty.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 06:57   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Concealing the wires is an easy DIY job. Search this thread and you will easily find an instruction, or go to YouTube. Hardwiring it will need some professional help if you are not the DIY type. .
You are right - I could do it myself and would have done it on my existing car. Since this is a new car, I didn't want to do any DIY and wanted them to do only two things :

1. Concealing the wires
2. Hardwiring the cam so that I have the charging point free.

Looks like I will connect it to the cigarette lighter or USB slot only now.
RedHerring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 17:55   #2490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
You are right - I could do it myself and would have done it on my existing car. Since this is a new car, I didn't want to do any DIY and wanted them to do only two things :

1. Concealing the wires
2. Hardwiring the cam so that I have the charging point free.

Looks like I will connect it to the cigarette lighter or USB slot only now.
This is exactly the reason why I always profess people to use 12v point instead of using hardwire. No brand in India supports dashcam and they plainly put all blame on owner should any electrical issues arise.

Recently when I took my DZire to Maruti for a regular service, one floor manager (who I have not seen till date) walked around my car twice. I thought he might be looking for scratches and dents to record in the log, but he pointed and asked me what that strange looking thing was in the rear glass was. I patiently explained that it was dash cam and its purpose.

That sly guy slithered his way back to office and made a note against my car log that I have unauthorized electrical device attached and made a note as a "Camera Equipment". This I noticed only when I got my invoice back.

So, you guys be safe. Do not hard wire if you want your warranty intact. Remove it before you enter service station and place it in a bag away from their prying eyes. They will plainly refuse to honor any commitment the moment they find out that you use dash cam as a "Extra Feature".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks