Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2018, 17:22   #811
BANNED

Re: Stock speaker replacement for ANHC 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Upto 15K is fine for me. Want some good quality sound. Mostly I am into vocals.
You can try Morel's.

Polk Audio is decent for the price but they are slightly bright. You can get the components and coaxials for 15,000.
Old 10th April 2018, 20:50   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You can try Morel's.

Polk Audio is decent for the price but they are slightly bright. You can get the components and coaxials for 15,000.
Thanks for inputs. Any installer recommendation in Bangalore ?
Old 10th April 2018, 20:51   #813
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Thanks for inputs. Any installer recommendation in Bangalore ?
You can check the directory for Bangalore city or with any BHPians who reside in Bangalore.
Old 11th April 2018, 10:20   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Amplifier (4-Channel)
  • Blaupunkt GTA 470 DSP - ₹5,000
  • Pioneer GM-A6704 - ₹6,200
  • Blaupunkt EMA 455 - ₹5,700
  • Blaupunkt GTA 470 SF - ₹6,000
  • Sony XM-N1004 - ₹5,700

All prices in the post I have given are from Amazon.in. It will vary from retailers pricing.
Isn't Blaupunkt 470 DSP priced much higher than 470 SF?
and it currently retails for 8.1k on Amazon. I guess these prices keep varying a lot.

Any more suggestions for an amp below 10k?

Last edited by thepilot : 11th April 2018 at 10:22.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:53   #815
BHPian

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Dear ICE gurus, I need help in finalising ICE for my car. Kindly suggest.
Car : Honda City SV CVT (Mar 2016)
Current setup :
Head unit : Stock (1 DIN)
Speakers : Front - Focal Performance 165AS components, Rear - Focal performance Co-axial (don't remember model no.)
Subwoofer : Blaupunkt Bluemagic XLF 200 A
Amplifier : None.
Damping : None.
Driven by : Mostly me.

I know, I will get bashing for not installing amplifier while upgrading to components speakers. Plan was to add one within few days however it never materialised.

Now, the problem : Underseat subwoofer has started to ratttle and sound is not very pleasant just like initial days. I think it has gone kaput. Since I am a newbie when it comes to ICE, I am not able to rectify it. I have added some packing material (paper and clothes) below subwoofer and rattling is reduced however when co-driver seat is pushed fully back, rattling reappears. Do you think that damping around subwoofer should aid.

I am going to upgrade the system now. Following is the plan A :
Head unit : Pioneer AVH-A209BT (https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...rs/avh-a209bt/)

Damping : All four doors

Amplifier : If current underseat subwoofer is OK and works after adding damping around it, I will retain it. In that case Do I really need to add an amplifier for components and co-axials? Focal 165AS components are rated at 70 Watt RMS and head unit I shortlisted gives 50W*4 RMS as per Pioneer India website. After reading on internet I could find out that thumb rule is 75% of RMS rating of speakers should be the minimum output from driver (HU or amplifier). If you guys think otherwise, please suggest suitable amplifier.

I am expecting decent sound quality, SPL is not necessary for me. Songs I listen to most of the times are bollywood songs and Marathi songs.

Now Plan B :
Head Unit : Pioneer AVH-A209BT
Subwoofer : Any sealed subwoofer (I don't know which one to choose)
Amplifier : Should drive front components and subwoofer (Again I am blank here). Or combination of two amplifiers - four channel for speakers and mono for subwoofer.
Damping : Four doors and boot (if required and suggested by you guys).

Plan C :
Head unit : Stock
Amlifier and subwoofer as per Plan B

Dear Gurus, I am really in confusion since so many days and really require your help in finalising the setup.

Basically I need to solve an equation of a system in which following are the constants :
Front and rear speakers (Existing Focals), Installer - Poona Motors, Camp
Variables are :
Head unit, Subwoofer, Amplifier/s, Damping (Only doors or Boot).
Budget : 50 - 55 k max.
Answer of the equation should be very good sound quality.

Also note that current subwoofer can be accommodated to my other car if you guys are against underseat subwoofer. This another car in question is rarely driven and SQL/SPL is not very important in that car.
Old 17th April 2018, 11:29   #816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Romeo1 View Post
Car : Honda City SV CVT (Mar 2016)
Head unit : Stock (1 DIN)
Speakers : Front - Focal Performance 165AS components, Rear - Focal performance Co-axial (don't remember model no.)
Subwoofer : Blaupunkt Bluemagic XLF 200 A

Now, the problem : Underseat subwoofer has started to ratttle and sound is not very pleasant just like initial days

I am going to upgrade the system now. Following is the plan A :
Head unit : Pioneer AVH-A209BT (https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...rs/avh-a209bt/)

Damping : All four doors
Amplifier : If current underseat subwoofer is OK and works after adding damping around it, I will retain it.

Now Plan B :
Head Unit : Pioneer AVH-A209BT
Subwoofer : Any sealed subwoofer (I don't know which one to choose)
Amplifier : Should drive front components and subwoofer (Again I am blank here). Or combination of two amplifiers - four channel for speakers and mono for subwoofer.
Damping : Four doors and boot (if required and suggested by you guys).

Plan C :
Head unit : Stock
Amlifier and subwoofer as per Plan B

Budget : 50 - 55 k max.
Answer of the equation should be very good sound quality.

Also note that current subwoofer can be accommodated to my other car if you guys are against underseat subwoofer. This another car in question is rarely driven and SQL/SPL is not very important in that car.
1. What sort of rattle is coming from the subwoofer? Remove the subwoofer from it's location and see if the rattle is still coming. If it is not it is due to the install and not the subwoofer itself. The install can then be fixed if there are some of the screws holding the subwoofer in place are loose etc. So let us see if the Blaupunkt subwoofer is actually damaged or not.

2. The 209BT is a 2DIN HU. I think it has 3 sets of preamp-outs for subwoofer, front and rear. It would be more flexible than your Stock HU. I believe it costs around 12K or so.

3. A sealed subwoofer will typically cost you 10-12K with a wooden box. JBL, Focal, Morel, DLS, etc all make good subwoofers. What brands does your installer stock?

4. A monoblock will start around 12k and a 4 channel amp around 6k. Kenwood makes good basic amps. I forget the model numbers but they would be KAC xxxx. You will also need 3 sets of RCA cables so budget about 4-5k for that. Lets assume your amps and RCA cables will cost you around 22k.

This leaves you about 8-10K for damping. For 4 doors this is more than enough.

Subwoofer: 12K
Amps and RCA: 22K
HU: 12K
Damping: 8K
------------------

Last edited by navin : 17th April 2018 at 11:30.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 16:22   #817
BHPian

Thank you very much Navin for your valuable suggestions. I talked with my car accessory shop guy, he has promised to revert back to me with configuration by tomorrow. He was suggesting for Pioneer Amps and Pioneer subwoofer. However I mentioned him that I wish to go for Focal 12" subwoofer. Let me see what is his plan and post it here.

Meanwhile I was thinking of this Focal subwoofer. Can you please let me know your opinion on it. (https://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ocal+subwoofer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
A sealed subwoofer will typically cost you 10-12K with a wooden box. JBL, Focal, Morel, DLS, etc all make good subwoofers. What brands does your installer stock?

Thank you very much Navin for valuable suggestions.
I had a word with my car accessory shop guy, He was suggesting Pioneer amps and subwoofer. I am more inclined towards Focal 12" subwoofer -(https://www.amazon.in/Focal-Performance-Auditor-RSB-300SI-Subwoofer/dp/B078XGQ7CL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523963074&sr=8-2&keywords=focal+subwoofer
Please give your opinions on this subwoofer.

He will revert back to me with configuration by tomorrow, I will post it here once I hear from him.
Also he said MDF box for subwoofer whereas you have mentioned wooden box. Are these two things different or same?

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2018 at 10:43. Reason: back to back posts merged; trimmed quoted post
Old 17th April 2018, 17:22   #818
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Romeo1 View Post
Thank you very much Navin for valuable suggestions.
I had a word with my car accessory shop guy, He was suggesting Pioneer amps and subwoofer. I am more inclined towards Focal 12" subwoofer -(https://www.amazon.in/Focal-Performance-Auditor-RSB-300SI-Subwoofer/dp/B078XGQ7CL/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1523963074&sr=8-2&keywords=focal+subwoofer
Please give your opinions on this subwoofer.
MDF is Medium Density Fiberboard and is the most common material used for loudspeaker enclosures.

All things remaining equal the Focal or Morel subwoofer will outperform the Pioneer sub.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 20:05   #819
BHPian

Gurus, I am moving from Linea to Verna. In Linea, I had upgraded ICE with the following:

Focal Solid 4 Amp
Focal Access 165A1 Speakers in the front doors
Polk Audio S/W
MTX RTC 653 on the parcel shelf

Before I take it to a local guy and open up Verna's door, can I get a heads up on whether the above-mentioned components will fit in Verna?
Old 18th April 2018, 10:26   #820
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Gurus, I am moving from Linea to Verna. In Linea, I had upgraded ICE with the following:

Focal Solid 4 Amp
Focal Access 165A1 Speakers in the front doors
Polk Audio S/W
MTX RTC 653 on the parcel shelf

Before I take it to a local guy and open up Verna's door, can I get a heads up on whether the above-mentioned components will fit in Verna?
Yea they all should. You might need a spacer ring to install the speakers on the doors though.
Old 19th April 2018, 09:59   #821
BHPian

Hi Navin Sir,
I discussed with the installer and he is proposing configuration as below:
1. HU : Pioneer MVH-A209VBT, 12.5k
2. Amp : Pioneer GM-D8604 Class FD 4 Channel Bridgable with Bass Boost Remote, 13k
3. Sub : Focal Performance Auditor + RSB 300, 6k (Sub may be changed after auditioning.)
4. MDF Box : Some readymade box, 1.5k
5. Wiring, RCA : 5k
6. Damping : Front doors : 3k
7. Harness : 0.5k
8. Frame : 2.5k
9. Labour : 1.0k
---------------
Total : 45k

He said these are prices without discounts (except for HU), final prices will be negotiated on saturday, day of installation. Please share your feedback on this.

Also one question from my side regarding having two amplifiers - one monoblock and one four channel. As per him, four channel amp should have HPF setting and gain control then only we can set appropriate cutoff for frequencies. Such four channel amp would cost me starting from 8k-10k.
Now I dont understand, Pioneer India website says for shortlisted HU :
Crossover settings (HPF/LPF) - To keep transitions between frequency ranges sounding smooth, you can adjust cutoff frequency and cutoff slope for each HPF (front/Rear speakers seperately) and LPF (subwoofer) respectively.
https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...s/mvh-a209vbt/
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-mvha209vbt.jpg

My doubt : Is it necessary to have HPF and gain settings again on four channel amps for front/rear speakers while I use monoblock amplifier for the subwoofer. Please guide me on this.

As of now believing him, I am planning to go ahead with four channel amp to drive front components and sub, Later on when budet permits, I will add nice monoblock for subwoofer and use current four channel amp to power four speakers.
Old 27th April 2018, 10:48   #822
BHPian

Hello guys, I completed setup as per above posts in my car, sound clarity increased by leaps and bounds. Absolutely droolworthy. Many thanks to Navin for suggestions.
Now I want to further up the game by adding another 12” sub and hence the hunt for monoblock has begun.

To summarize, current setup looks like this:
HU – Pioneer MVH-A209VBT 2 DIN
Front components – Focal Performance Access 165 AS
Rear co-axials – Focal 165AC
Sub – Focal Auditor+ RSB300 12” (DVC 4 ohm)
Amp – Pioneer GM-D8604 to drive front speakers and a sub.

Now to drive two subs, after talking with google bhai, I gathered following layout which will be the best. Please let me know if you think otherwise.
Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section-subwoofer.jpg

For this power requirement, I have shortlisted following amps :
1. Rockford fosgate Prime 1200 (https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosg...ate+Prime+1200)
2. Pioneer GM-D9601 (https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...mono/gm-d9601/)

Both are stable under 1 ohm.

Can you please suggest which one is good? Any other suggestions are most welcome. Budget 15k, can go up to 20K max. Will source it from US.
Old 28th April 2018, 09:42   #823
BHPian

Given that speakers are such delicate items - is it fine to shut car doors when the music system is on especially in cars like Fiat, VW whose doors shut with a loud thud. I am a novice in this area. Pls share your views.
Old 30th April 2018, 01:24   #824
BHPian

Can the Focal 165 AS be paired with Blaupunkt 470 DSP amp?
I'm planning adding this set of components on front doors of my Fiat Avventura and adding the Blaupunkt 470 dsp amp. Will look for a decent set of co-axials for the rear doors.
Old 30th April 2018, 13:31   #825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilot View Post
Can the Focal 165 AS be paired with Blaupunkt 470 DSP amp?
Why not? Most car speakers and amplifiers are compatible.

There are a few 1ohm and 2ohm speakers which may prove to a difficult load for all but the best built amplifiers but other than these rare exceptions they are all compatible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks