Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2005, 02:09   #1636
Senior - BHPian

will there a big difference if i add an amp to my existing setup ??

jvc hu
jbl 426
jbl 936

(that reminds me i dont have any stickers !! hey sam where can i get them ??)

was thinking of putting a sony 2 chan amp.weill it really make a difference or just make my wallet lighter ??

Rev
Old 16th September 2005, 02:14   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech

jvc hu
jbl 426
jbl 936

was thinking of putting a sony 2 chan amp.weill it really make a difference or just make my wallet lighter ??

Rev
Exactly the same thing I want to know.
Old 16th September 2005, 02:26   #1638
BHPian

Does anyone has idea as to how much RMS does Sony 502Z Amp outputs? I checked the specs on the website, but they haven't mentioned whether it is RMS or PMPO.
Also will this Amp be able to drive 70 W RMS to 100 W RMS Speakers without blowing them up? How will it be configured?
Old 16th September 2005, 02:30   #1639
BHPian

Please let me know how to read these specs and what do they mean - Line by Line

SPECIFICATION
2 x 100 Watts Max @ 4 OHM.
2 x 50 Watts RMS @ 4 OHM.
2 x 125 Watts Max @ 2 OHM.
2 x 60 Watts RMS @ 2 OHM.
1 x 250 Watts Max @ 4 OHM Bridged.
1 x 120 Watts RMS @ 4 OHM Bridged.
Frequency Response 5Hz – 50kHz.
Selectable Low Pass Filter OFF/80Hz.
Gold Plated Connectors.
Speaker Level Input.
Mosfet Power Supply.
Dimensions: 226 x 53.5 x 173mm.(WxHxL).
Recommended Fuse Rating - 15Amps
Old 16th September 2005, 03:44   #1640
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:

jvc hu
jbl 426
jbl 936

Rev
well ya it does make a difference to this setup by adding and amp..but not as much as if u go in for components..this setup will run pretty well thru ur HU only..so i feel its better to invest for an amp only if ur going in for sub or compos..or else leave the amp as of now..
Old 16th September 2005, 05:06   #1641
Senior - BHPian

502 has 60 W RMS * 2 at 4 ohms. And 120 W RMS in bridged mode. I would say, at 2k its a steal!
Old 16th September 2005, 05:10   #1642
BHPian

Aseem can you please answer my previous posts as well?
Old 16th September 2005, 05:24   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Zehar, I will not recommend using the 502 for powering your four speakers. Firstly the 502 is designed for running subs. It has an in built Low Pass Filter as opposed to a high pass filter which is handy for saving your speakers from damage.
I would consider Sony 504 for 3.9k as its much better than fake Alpines and nobody ever heard of Amplifiers. You can use the 504 to power all your speakers. Also what speakers are you planning for in the fronts? make and model number and size will be helpful.
Rest if you still want to use the 502 to power all 4 speakers, you can parallel connect the 502 to the 4 speakers. You will loose out on the fader in this case. Also the amp might clip!
Old 16th September 2005, 05:27   #1644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Zehar, I will not recommend using the 502 for powering your four speakers. Firstly the 502 is designed for running subs. It has an in built Low Pass Filter as opposed to a high pass filter which is handy for saving your speakers from damage.
I would consider Sony 504 for 3.9k as its much better than fake Alpines and nobody ever heard of Amplifiers. You can use the 504 to power all your speakers. Also what speakers are you planning for in the fronts? make and model number and size will be helpful.
Rest if you still want to use the 502 to power all 4 speakers, you can parallel connect the 502 to the 4 speakers. You will loose out on the fader in this case. Also the amp might clip!
I am planning to use any normal 4 inch speakers with output around 35-40 W RMS with around 80-100 W RMS In the back. Ok i won't go in for 502Z, how do i use these with 4 channel amp?
Old 16th September 2005, 05:30   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Using a 4 channel amp is simple. Use each channel for each speaker. Simple one to one relationship
However I am not sure how the 4 inchers will sound with an amp. Just make sure they dont have too much treble, as most 4 inchers imo tend too!
Why dont you consider getting 5 " components instead of going in 4" speakers in front to be powered by amp. You can get custom kick panes made for the speakers. And add an amp at a later date. Trust me you wont regret going in for components!
When you amplify low quality speakers, you are just going to produce bad quaity sounds at a higher volume... why not go for quality sound now, and add an amplifier at a later date to get a better sound at loud volume as well?
In any case, enjoy your music!

Last edited by aseem : 16th September 2005 at 05:33.
Old 16th September 2005, 05:33   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Using a 4 channel amp is simple. Use each channel for each speaker. Simple one to one relationship
However I am not sure how the 4 inchers will sound with an amp. Just make sure they dont have too much treble, as most 4 inchers imo tend too!
what if i use fronts with the HU output and only rears with Amp? then how ill u suggest? can i use 2 channels for 2 speaekrs and 2 channels for amp?

and can the rest of the 2 channles be used for sub later on?.

Last edited by zzzehar : 16th September 2005 at 05:35.
Old 16th September 2005, 05:40   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar
what if i use fronts with the HU output and only rears with Amp? then how ill u suggest? can i use 2 channels for 2 speaekrs and 2 channels for amp?
I have similar setup in my Esteem. I have a 2 channel amp powering my subwoofer and my rear ovals. The fronts are driven by HU. My review of the system is following:

-Initially the system sounded excellent but now that I have a Swift with components, I can tell that the system in Esteem is just loud and noisy

--The soundstage is horrible, with music coming from the back! The passengers in the rear seats are alaways complaining that I turn the volume down

--I dont know why I even bothered to buy front speakers, as the rears completely overshadow the front speakers and the final effect is unbalanced music

--The system is enough to impress freinds who sit in my car for the first time, but its a pain in the b*** in long drives!

I love the setup I have in my Swift, even though right now I have the fronts (components) and rear coaxials being driven by the HU, but there is a marked difference in audio quality between the two systems. The Swift system is miles ahead, I can hear notes/sounds that I can never possibly hear in my Esteem. The soundstage is focussed to the front, by using better speakers in the front and the fader to set the output more towards the front speakers. I invite you to test drive both cars with me any time you come to Delhi, to feel the difference yourself!
Old 16th September 2005, 09:39   #1648
Team-BHP Support

good job aseem. i am from the old school which still dictates "one channel per speaker". I know these new fangled amps are about 1/2 the price of the amps we made and stabel to 2 ohms but i figured even they would run cooler and hence sound a bit better driving one speaker per channel.
Old 16th September 2005, 10:56   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
mood, those 12" ers need 100W+ each so unless your glider can do that (100w rms x 2, 4 ohms, < 0.01% distortion, ...). i dont think it will help much. it might reduce some distortions in the bass. how?

ok hold on......
when a woofer travels up and down to make bass it's coil moves in and out of the magnetic circuit. now as it does that the coil's movement becomes non-linear. and the more it moves the more non linear it gets. 2 woofers will need to move less to produce the same SPL at the same freq. (SPL is directly related to the ammount of air moved and that is a product of the surface area & displacement of the cone). as you double the surface area you need half the displacement and hence the woofer is more linear.

now ask me if you wil hear this lower distortion and i will say maybe. it depends how much you were driving the woofer to begin with. if the woofer was exceeding the limits of it's linear movement it would be more audible.

the mathematics to prove this require knowledge of 3rd order polynomials. it is not simple but a lot simpler than the 5th order polynomials required to solve the dynamics of self featherig helicopter rotors. :-) yeah now that is a concept (a self feathering rotor)!

NAHEE!!!!And it's another fantastic bouncer from Navin. The crowd cheers as they watch him getting back to his true form!!
Old 16th September 2005, 11:03   #1650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

jvc hu
jbl 426
jbl 936

Rev
Clean setup. Adding an amp will give you more headroom for volume. You see, the JVC has a poor output stage and if you add an amp, it will sound deeper, richer and fuller.
The stickers will not improve the sound but will make you look very cool. lol

PM me your addy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks