Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2005, 23:17   #1711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswings
However, what make RCA cabling do you recommend JBL set or BElden or any other specific ones which are better than these both.
dont think belden sell line levle cable in india. only speaker cable.
Old 20th September 2005, 01:52   #1712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
i dont see the difference between a 50W amp and a 70w amp. but my wife uses the GTA 450 (along with a velocity) in her car and the GTA 450 sounded nicer than the sony 504. maybe that titbit is useful.
Hi Navin, agreed that in the speakers the difference wont be noticable as the difference between 50W per channel and 70W per channel is minimal.
The reason I chose this amp however was the fact that it has 200W RMS in bridged mode as opposed to the Sony 504 and JBL 50.4 which have around 120W RMS. So I am basing my decision, that this amp will have enough juice to drive my components and sub!
Old 20th September 2005, 08:49   #1713
BHPian

Crackling sound from front right speaker

Greetings,

Here are sequence events took place...

Last week I got my sytem installed (sony f5510x, JBL speakers) at Fiat service centre. Over the phone conversation He said no audio from front right speaker and HU is at fault. When I visited to take delivery, they mentioned that audio is coming some times only. When demonstration took place, I could hear and they could hear, could not reproduce the problem. I was told to watch for couple of days and bring it to notice. They claim, output from HU is not coming properly (of course they blame others by default).

I took the vehicle to fix g-sport seating at different shop and while fixing the owner was inquiring about my system and JBL speakers (he complimented for choosing JBL, "you might have done good research". Sam flashed in front of me once with chuckle :-)). while demonstration, he said, only treble is coming and bass is not there. (rear speakers pmpo was 350). immediately he requested his technician and the moment this kid listened he said +ve/-ve are connected in reverse. Quickly he swapped the wires in trunk and boom boom boom. Played BON Jovi and thanked them.

Yesterday morning, when I kept face plate on the HU, it showed FAILURE. (my day started with bad tone, I guessed). but I could hear FM normally and played MP3. no issues. ( I was sitting at rear as my driver is at wheel). Evening I referred manual and for that error (FAILURE) it says bad speaker/amplifier connection. Rushed to the car and started system and I did not hear audio from front right speaker. Also I hear crackling sound when ignition is turned on.

Not sure what was the problem now. Is it fixing? HU or wiring (pre wired car). I feel like take it to the guy who fixed my seats and diagnose the problem. My techie mind says, HU may not be the problem as audio came once and not another time. Secondly, fixing might be an issue as they already did one mistake. Probability that they might have done mistake for other side also.

Sam/Navin, plz thorough some light on this situation.

thx in advance
Old 20th September 2005, 10:45   #1714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingmepal
Greetings,

Here are sequence events took place...

Last week I got my sytem installed (sony f5510x, JBL speakers) at Fiat service centre. Over the phone conversation He said no audio from front right speaker and HU is at fault. When I visited to take delivery, they mentioned that audio is coming some times only. When demonstration took place, I could hear and they could hear, could not reproduce the problem. I was told to watch for couple of days and bring it to notice. They claim, output from HU is not coming properly (of course they blame others by default).

I took the vehicle to fix g-sport seating at different shop and while fixing the owner was inquiring about my system and JBL speakers (he complimented for choosing JBL, "you might have done good research". Sam flashed in front of me once with chuckle :-)). while demonstration, he said, only treble is coming and bass is not there. (rear speakers pmpo was 350). immediately he requested his technician and the moment this kid listened he said +ve/-ve are connected in reverse. Quickly he swapped the wires in trunk and boom boom boom. Played BON Jovi and thanked them.

Yesterday morning, when I kept face plate on the HU, it showed FAILURE. (my day started with bad tone, I guessed). but I could hear FM normally and played MP3. no issues. ( I was sitting at rear as my driver is at wheel). Evening I referred manual and for that error (FAILURE) it says bad speaker/amplifier connection. Rushed to the car and started system and I did not hear audio from front right speaker. Also I hear crackling sound when ignition is turned on.

Not sure what was the problem now. Is it fixing? HU or wiring (pre wired car). I feel like take it to the guy who fixed my seats and diagnose the problem. My techie mind says, HU may not be the problem as audio came once and not another time. Secondly, fixing might be an issue as they already did one mistake. Probability that they might have done mistake for other side also.

Sam/Navin, plz thorough some light on this situation.

thx in advance
Hi!
Please immediately stop playing the head unit. Switch the deck off and keep it off till this problem is corrected.

99% this problem is caused by poor installation. In this case, one of the wires of the HU is touching the gound (-ve) connection. I've seen this before.
Modrn HU's use a floating ground and no end of the speaker cable should touch the body of the car

1) Poor install: An installer that did not know the difference between correctly and wrongly phased speaker is a bad one to begin with. Remove the head unit and check if the joints of the speaker wire to the wires are taped up seperately and corectly. Do the same with the speaker connections, at the speaker end. If you are using the factory wire, I recommend you change it.

2) Poor Cutting job: If any metal is cut to mount the front or (more likely) the rear, perhaps not enough is trimmed around the terminals of the speaker and on occasion must be making contact. You are lucky it's not a 100% contact as then the amp in your HU would have blown up, thankfully it appears your HU has a smart protect chip.

Please check these two thigs out and let me know...

cheers Ping!
Old 20th September 2005, 14:26   #1715
Senior - BHPian

After doing a lot of reading and window shopping I have decided to go for Blaupunkt GTA 470 amp which gives me 200 Watts RMS to drive the woofer. For the subwoofer I have consulted Gunbir and he suggested Hertz ES 300 D for the sub. This sub has 350 watts RMS, has a paper cone (as opposed to Aluminium), has dual voice coil (I am planning to connect this in parallel to run the amp in 2 ohms). I have read that paper cone is superior to Aluminium cone as its less prone to scratches and has a warmer sound. Experts is this a good setup?
Secondaly coming to the box design... after a brief research there are basically three designs that are common:
1) Boxed
2) Ported
3) Bandpass
Now I am not looking for bass to impress my neighbors or freinds, rather I want my bass to integrate with my music. For all what I have read, box design depends on user taste. As per my understanding, ported will give more kick compared to Boxed but will loose on depth and clarity. Bandpass will be awesome for low frequencies. After reading all the basics, I feel for my choice of music, Boxed sub would make most sense. Since I have never experienced this before, experts please chip in with what you feel will most suffice my requirements!
Old 20th September 2005, 14:31   #1716
BHPian

HPF LPF query!

Had some doubt wrt to the HPF and LPF usage of amps.

Say I have a 4 channel amp sony 504 with both HPF & LPF

Query is - How is the HIgh pass Filter used for front channels? (I am an aboslute novice and have no idea at all of how speakers are connected!!)

I imagine that the 2 channels going to the front speakers will have a HPF set so as to send High frequencies to them. Doubt is that if i use a compo system - Tweets will be fine with Higher frequencies but what about the mid bass speakers? What about their sound if only high frequencies are fed through the front channels?

Or is it that I'm missing something totally basic?

Whatever be the case, please enlighten me on the count.

P.S. Checked out Buffetfans system in the Baleno and it sounds really good! Thanks buffet for your help!!
Old 20th September 2005, 14:40   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
Had some doubt wrt to the HPF and LPF usage of amps.

Say I have a 4 channel amp sony 504 with both HPF & LPF

Query is - How is the HIgh pass Filter used for front channels? (I am an aboslute novice and have no idea at all of how speakers are connected!!)

I imagine that the 2 channels going to the front speakers will have a HPF set so as to send High frequencies to them. Doubt is that if i use a compo system - Tweets will be fine with Higher frequencies but what about the mid bass speakers? What about their sound if only high frequencies are fed through the front channels?

Or is it that I'm missing something totally basic?

Whatever be the case, please enlighten me on the count.

P.S. Checked out Buffetfans system in the Baleno and it sounds really good! Thanks buffet for your help!!
Most 4 channel amps come with a built in HPF and LPF filters. HPF filters are optimized for frequencies above 60Hz/80Hz etc. These frequencies are optimum not only for the tweeter but the midbass woofer as well. These frequencies are further filtered by the crossover of your component which filters the frequencies going in to the tweeter and the woofer.
The subwoofers are optimized to play frequencies below 80 Hz. So you set the Low Pass Filter to send frequencies lower than 80 Hz to the woofer, this way you dont send frequencies to the speakers and the woofer for which they are not optimized to play.
In your case, please set the HPF filter to 80 Hz for the two channels that are going to the front components. And set the LPF filter for channels that are going to your subwoofer!

Last edited by aseem : 20th September 2005 at 14:45.
Old 20th September 2005, 14:57   #1718
BHPian

Sound setup tommrrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Pranil, there are some things you need to know when you install in the Getz. I will post some pics and info tomorrow.

GUYS getting my car tommrrow. GUNBIR can u post those recommendations.
Old 20th September 2005, 15:06   #1719
BHPian

Soomoku Subwoofer

GUYS any take /advise on selfpowered subwoofer.

Look at these . Available in the market from 4000 rs. upwards

http://www.palesha.com/carsubwoofer.htm
Old 20th September 2005, 15:14   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
The subwoofers are optimized to play frequencies below 80 Hz. So you set the Low Pass Filter to send frequencies lower than 80 Hz to the woofer, this way you dont send frequencies to the speakers and the woofer for which they are not optimized to play.
In your case, please set the HPF filter to 80 Hz for the two channels that are going to the front components. And set the LPF filter for channels that are going to your subwoofer!
ok so the HPF at 80 will take care of the fronts! and less than 80 for the sub. What if I want to power rear 6.5" coaxials or 6X9" 3 ways at the rear?
Old 20th September 2005, 15:18   #1721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranil

Using an active tube is much better option than trying to drive the subwoofer from the HU. A powered sub combines an amplifier and woofer in an enclosure. Since the amplifier is built-in, there's only one piece of equipment to find a place for and install. Many powered subs are compact and won't take up a lot of room in your vehicle. While powered subs can be very effective bass producers, their smaller drivers and amplifiers may not provide all the sound power you want if you're looking for really big bass. On the other hand, their relatively simple installation and small size make them a great add-on to factory stereo systems.
Basically to qoute Gunbirs example, most tubes have small power requirements as they use the shape of the tube to provide bass. You can emulate this by closing your hands in a tube like shape and place them before your mouth while you speak. The bass in your voice will increase even though you will be speaking normally. Bass tubes use this simple philosiphy, however this makes the sound more muddier as opposed to tighter which is preffered.
Old 20th September 2005, 15:20   #1722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok so the HPF at 80 will take care of the fronts! and less than 80 for the sub. What if I want to power rear 6.5" coaxials or 6X9" 3 ways at the rear?
I am not sure I am getting the complete picture. Since you have a 4 channel amp, I thought you have connected two channels to front components and two channels to the woofer in bridged mode. My answers are based on that.

When you say you want to power the rear... does that mean you have also connected your rear speakers to the 4 channel amp? Are they connected in parallel with the front speaker? If so, than setting the HPF for the fronts, will take care of the rear speakers as well.
Old 20th September 2005, 15:40   #1723
BHPian

nah! what i meant was two for the fronts is ok! I want to power the rear 6x9 ovals with the amp. Foget the sub for the moment

Setup is
2 channels for two front compos.
2 channels for two rear 6x9"
NO Sub
how about the LPF setting to connect 6x9" for the rear two channels?
Old 20th September 2005, 15:46   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranil

Took the words right out of my mouth. I had posted previously in another thread that I didn't quite like the Soomoku subs! But now I'd like to change. Previously I heard them in my friends car, wonder what he did but they seemed to be distorting. But now I heard them in the Soomoku Dealer's Santro and I really liked the 12" box. He had a complete soomoku setup. front soomoku compos and rear 6.5" coaxials. His car sounded really nice!

Now, i have a novices ears and no audiophile's so don't go by my word. But for the benefit of all I would like to sincerely request our audio Gurus to Please check them out for all of us and give your opinions.... Their price especially makes them very attractive.
Old 20th September 2005, 15:46   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
nah! what i meant was two for the fronts is ok! I want to power the rear 6x9 ovals with the amp. Foget the sub for the moment

Setup is
2 channels for two front compos.
2 channels for two rear 6x9"
NO Sub
how about the LPF setting to connect 6x9" for the rear two channels?
In this case you would use the HPF filter for both the front and the rear channels. As the rear co-axials are not optimized for low frequencies. By setting LPF on the rear speakers, you can distort the tweeters on the rear speakers!
Rear co-axials are optimized like the front speakers to operate above 80 hz frequencies. LPF is used only for subs!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks