Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 11:09   #7801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Amit a sub will have no impact on brightness of your ICE. Putting up comps at front might have depending on how bright you find them.
ya i have decided to put illusion 6.1 compos. am trying to find sources who can do the door trim cutting, damping and fitting job. then i can use the rear setup just as a filler. well i think you should listen to my new setup and suggest. the GT5-12" sub is a thriller.
Old 1st April 2008, 11:48   #7802
Senior - BHPian

6x9 vs subwoofer for the rear?

For a hatch that is driven 100% by me, what would the gurus suggest as rear speakers? 6x9 (with a decent bass without a sub woofer) or just a sub woofer (e.g. bass tube)? Please note that these are either/or choices for me

I mention a bass tube as it somewhat fits the budget vis-a-vis 6x9 in the similar price range (~Rs 5k)

My listening preference is not a very boomy or ear drum shattering bass. But just enough to complete the sound stage at the rear, and bring out the lows for listening pleasure.

I am not too well versed with technicalities of sub woofer box design. Also, I tend to think of the bass tube as a one-stop-ready made-solution (please correct me if I am wrong).

Boot space is somewhat important as I have frequent trips and some luggage space is necessary for me.

EDIT: Front stage is components

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 1st April 2008 at 11:59.
Old 1st April 2008, 11:55   #7803
BHPian

If 5K is your budget, you can manage a decent sub in that. It will give you a better sound than a boom box, and will also be less clunky (i.e. a sub can be removed much easily or adjusted to fit luggage etc. than a bass tube).

As for 6x9 vs. sub, as I told you earlier, please do educate me also once you have an answer!
Old 1st April 2008, 13:03   #7804
Senior - BHPian

Try decent 6x9s powered by an amp first. If you really miss the sub, you can add that later. I personally have not really needed it so far. I don't like loud bass either. Soft, yet deep (if that means anything at all in audio terms ) and thats served well by the 6x9s.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:10   #7805
Senior - BHPian

1. Cost: Adding a sub will double your cost since it needs an amplifier. 6X9s can be driven off the HU.

2. Boot Space: You will need to compromise the boot space with a sub. Since you say it is a hatch and you require boot space, I would second the opinion of having 6X9s and then thinking about sub if you really want it.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:11   #7806
Senior - BHPian

Both are essential. 6x9s first & then the sub. Sub alone would not sound good.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:41   #7807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
1. Cost: Adding a sub will double your cost since it needs an amplifier. 6X9s can be driven off the HU.

2. Boot Space: You will need to compromise the boot space with a sub. Since you say it is a hatch and you require boot space, I would second the opinion of having 6X9s and then thinking about sub if you really want it.
Actually, I was thinking of putting either a sub woofer or a 6x9. In either case, it would be driven by the remaining 2 channels of the amp.

What I gather from the above mentioned replies is that it cant be an either/or choice. Am I correct in my interpretation?

So does this mean that a sub woofer serves as an addition to 6x9s? I thought they could be used as a substitute. i.e. if 6x9s serve the purpose of rear fills only and just to reproduce the lows. Correct me if I am wrong

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 1st April 2008 at 13:48.
Old 1st April 2008, 14:15   #7808
BHPian

I enquired for Pioneer 2950 HU at shop next to Mariyappana palya park, Bangalore
(Bangalore west guys would know this shop!, which is on the right side coming from Navrang to Malleshwaram) and he quoted 4K without bill and warranty for this HU. Is this shop reliable to buy? or is their any other shops i can look for buying this HU. I'm in need of a cheap HU which is worth the money! Thanks.

Ramki
Old 1st April 2008, 14:18   #7809
BHPian

I think it's a either / or situation for you since you are planning on getting an amp anyway. So cost wise you don't save anything by going for 6x9s as opposed to going for a sub (btw for your benefit we are leaving bass tubes out of this dscussion).

AFAIK the difference is this: 6x9s will give you a wide range of frequencies - from highs to lows. Like your components, but the bass will be a little deeper. A sub on the other hand, will only give you the low end, but a much more thorough range of low frequencies.

So it depends what you want to do with your rear fill: Do you want the same sound in the back that you get with components in the front (albeit with better bass), or do you want your ICE to reproduce all the frequencies from the highest to the lowest (meaning you will get a thump). That's the question to answer, and it is totally up to personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer.

And as you guesses, some people eliminate this choice by putting both. (You auditioned Ajay's WagonR, right? I think that has both).
Old 1st April 2008, 16:21   #7810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
I enquired for Pioneer 2950 HU at shop next to Mariyappana palya park, Bangalore
(Bangalore west guys would know this shop!, which is on the right side coming from Navrang to Malleshwaram) and he quoted 4K without bill and warranty for this HU. Is this shop reliable to buy? ...
Alternative is National Market.

Since the shop you buy from will generally not provide A.S.S. of any kind, it really does not matter where you buy from, as long as the price is right. Just make sure you get the whole package (incl. manual, extraction tool, any cables etc. that come in the original box) and not only the HU.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:25   #7811
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
So does this mean that a sub woofer serves as an addition to 6x9s? I thought they could be used as a substitute. i.e. if 6x9s serve the purpose of rear fills only and just to reproduce the lows. Correct me if I am wrong
quite the contrary. 6x9 are often used to substitute for a woofer (and add some rear fill) whne there is no room for a subwoofer.

2 6x9s will have as much surface area as a single 12" woofer but a 12" woofer is degined to produce deep bass while 6x9 are designed to produce more midbass than deep bass.

If you need rear fill get the 6x9; no sub is going to give you rear fill.

If you dont need rear fill and are willing to sacrifice boot space get the sub; few good subs will be outdone (in the bass) by a pair of 6x9s.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:40   #7812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
quite the contrary. 6x9 are often used to substitute for a woofer (and add some rear fill) when there is no room for a sub woofer.

2 6x9s will have as much surface area as a single 12" woofer but a 12" woofer is designed to produce deep bass while 6x9 are designed to produce more mid bass than deep bass.

If you need rear fill get the 6x9; no sub is going to give you rear fill.

If you don't need rear fill and are willing to sacrifice boot space get the sub; few good subs will be outdone (in the bass) by a pair of 6x9s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
I think it's a either / or situation for you since you are planning on getting an amp anyway. So cost wise you don't save anything by going for 6x9s as opposed to going for a sub (btw for your benefit we are leaving bass tubes out of this discussion).

AFAIK the difference is this: 6x9s will give you a wide range of frequencies - from highs to lows. Like your components, but the bass will be a little deeper. A sub on the other hand, will only give you the low end, but a much more thorough range of low frequencies.
Spot on Mr Navin. You solved my query exactly. Thanks! Rear fill and boot space are a higher priority over deep bass.

Just one more query - AFAIK, a component in the front door will be able to produce mid and highs. Will 6x9s produce the remaining part i.e. lows (in order to 'complete' the sound)?

From veb's answer, this seems to happen in case of 6x9s.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:51   #7813
Senior - BHPian

Yes a 6X9 will go lower than most of the mid bass drivers but not as low as a Sub.
Old 1st April 2008, 23:51   #7814
BHPian

Requirement of Bass
(Advice to give a freind)

Suggestions for SUb 10-12incher which has sealed enclosure volume reqd of only upto 0.75CU ft MAX (need to fit the sub under the car seat!)
Amp can supply only upto 200rms-

Alternatively Method 2
Is there any possiblilty of fitting a 6*9 on old Santro rear door?

Whats advisable method 1 or method 2

regaurds
Ali
Old 2nd April 2008, 01:48   #7815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Requirement of Bass
(Advice to give a freind)

Suggestions for SUb 10-12incher which has sealed enclosure volume reqd of only upto 0.75CU ft MAX (need to fit the sub under the car seat!)
Amp can supply only upto 200rms-

Alternatively Method 2
Is there any possiblilty of fitting a 6*9 on old Santro rear door?

Whats advisable method 1 or method 2

regaurds
Ali
I dont think 6x9 can be fitted on the rear antro doors but on the hatch door (boot lid) it is possible. A sub will produce more bass than 6x9.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks