Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2014, 01:31   #12496
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I am booking a new safari storme VX 4x2 model during mid of April with expected delivery of May 1st week. I was surprised that even in the highest variant recently TML has recently decided not to offer any music system to the customers.

Coming straight to the point and my question. I am not a big audiophile but definitely a music lover (Hindi - all latest bollywood, 90's kumar sanu types songs; English - Psychedelic rock like Pink Floyd and hip-hop music like Snoop Dogg types is my typical taste). With the budget of max 25000 and also keeping in mind that i am fan of apple products and own iPhone, iPad, following are my requirements that i want it to go well with safari storme:

1. Headset with bluetooth, iphone/ipad/ipod connectivity - Which brand is VFM? I dont want a CD player if it isn't worth the option!
2. Speakers which one? (both front and rear)
3. Amplifier - Is this good to have or must have in a big vehicle? which brand and most importantly if i consider buying an amplifier is it too much to expect with a limited budget of 25K?
4. Subwoofers/Tweeters - Would love to buy - which brand?

PS: currently i own a WagonR with sony explode HU and Sony front and rear speakers installed and simply hate the output! So sony is a big NO for me

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Once i get suitable advice from experts here i will head straight to EVO for install after delivery of vehicle in May 1st week
Old 6th April 2014, 14:22   #12497
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hi guys, I've just got a Fluidic Verna and would like a basic upgrade done on it. I would like to retain the original HU, and preferably install an amplifier with a subwoofer (for the thump). Can you advise me on a good combination and anything special that needs to be done to connect it to the HU? Also a few recommended brands, models with prices would be great!

I work abroad and haven't heard the OE sound quality yet but would a speaker upgrade also be needed?
Old 8th April 2014, 14:11   #12498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzone View Post
... Fluidic Verna ... like to retain the original HU, and preferably install an amplifier with a subwoofer (for the thump). ...
You *may* require a LoC or Hi-Lo converter if the OE HU doesn't have Pre-outs. Buy a 4-channel Kenwood M846 or JBL X646 or similar amp. Drive the front speakers with 2 channels, and connect the sub (Infinity Reference, JBL, Polk etc.) across the rear channels (bridged). The amp should cost you 6K, wiring about 2K and the sub ~6K with a box.

Quote:
... I work abroad and haven't heard the OE sound quality yet but would a speaker upgrade also be needed?
Preferably yes. Most OE speakers are quite insipid. Get a pair of good components - Infinity, JBL, Polk, Boston, Morel, etc. They cost ~6K. Shift the OE speakers to the rear doors (think about the passengers) and drive them from the HU. Please do audition the components before you buy - you shouldn't be disappointed after paying for them.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 17:13   #12499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You *may* require a LoC or Hi-Lo converter if the OE HU doesn't have Pre-outs. Buy a 4-channel Kenwood M846 or JBL X646 or similar amp. Drive the front speakers with 2 channels, and connect the sub (Infinity Reference, JBL, Polk etc.) across the rear channels (bridged). The amp should cost you 6K, wiring about 2K and the sub ~6K with a box.

Preferably yes. Most OE speakers are quite insipid. Get a pair of good components - Infinity, JBL, Polk, Boston, Morel, etc. They cost ~6K. Shift the OE speakers to the rear doors (think about the passengers) and drive them from the HU. Please do audition the components before you buy - you shouldn't be disappointed after paying for them.
Thanks for your reply. Could you advise me on how the below setup would sound? I'm not too big on the Extreme bass sound but would this give me decent listening bass?

I believe both stock speakers (Front & Rear) are 6.5", Door fitted.
Front Speakers - Components - JBL - GTO S649C (110W RMS) or Infinity - Reference 6500cx (90W RMS)
Rear Speakers - (Either Stock) or Coaxials - JBL - GT6 S366 (65W RMS)
Amplifier - JBL X646

All this will be connected to the stock HU, which I also believe will need the Hi-Lo converter. Now since these speakers will be definetely lot more powerful than stock (~330W RMS) would it give me a clean sound with a decent enjoyable bass? Or does that sub need to be dumped in the trunk?
Old 8th April 2014, 17:21   #12500
BHPian

Is there any way to upgrade the stock head unit in a VW Polo (RCD 320) while retaining the steering mounter controls functionality? I am aware of made for VAG units like the Blaupunkt ones but those will work out to be quite expensive. I am looking for a 2-DIN touch screen unit with BT.
Old 8th April 2014, 19:11   #12501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Could you advise me on how the below setup would sound? ...
Please don't rely on hearsay (a very appropriate word) - audition them first. It will definitely have better bass than the OE speakers, but don't expect too much bass from 6.5" round mid-bass / coaxes.

Quote:
... Now since these speakers will be definetely lot more powerful than stock (~330W RMS) would it give me a clean sound with a decent enjoyable bass? Or does that sub need to be dumped in the trunk?
Please don't read those power numbers. They are not what come to your ears - they are numbers that indicate at what point will the speakers sound ugly, or plain & simple - fry their coils. Under normal circumstances the power that flows to speakers is 1-12W rms. With an external amp, this increases to 1-30W. And these numbers have nothing to do with the speakers' ability to produce bass. If you want serious bass, there has to be a sub. 6x9 coaxials on parcel shelf are somewhere in between, but don't match a sub's output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Is there any way to upgrade the stock head unit in a VW Polo (RCD 320) ...
Please search for "RCD" in the ICE forum. You should find many threads where this has been discussed and implemented.
Old 2nd May 2014, 13:56   #12502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
3. The shopkeeper claims that snapdeal products are usually duplicate that is why they are priced so low. How can this be verified?
These are some of usual lines of defense shopkeeper tells, when we ask why online prices are so low. Most product are genuine in Snapdeal with Bill and Warranty, some products might be from gray market without warranty. I have brought Subs here with no issues. Normally in Snapdeal its written as Brand warranty if its having manufacturer warranty. Just confirm these, if you have any doubt after purchasing return the product.
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:19   #12503
BHPian

+1 i recently bought JVC Head unit from snapdeal with bill and 2 years manufacturer warranty. got a discount of almost 4.5K on Bangalore retail price.
Old 2nd May 2014, 15:41   #12504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
I am booking a new safari storme VX 4x2 model during mid of April with expected delivery of May 1st week. I was surprised that even in the highest variant recently TML has recently decided not to offer any music system to the customers.

Coming straight to the point and my question. I am not a big audiophile but definitely a music lover (Hindi - all latest bollywood, 90's kumar sanu types songs; English - Psychedelic rock like Pink Floyd and hip-hop music like Snoop Dogg types is my typical taste). With the budget of max 25000 and also keeping in mind that i am fan of apple products and own iPhone, iPad, following are my requirements that i want it to go well with safari storme:

1. Headset with bluetooth, iphone/ipad/ipod connectivity - Which brand is VFM? I dont want a CD player if it isn't worth the option!
2. Speakers which one? (both front and rear)
3. Amplifier - Is this good to have or must have in a big vehicle? which brand and most importantly if i consider buying an amplifier is it too much to expect with a limited budget of 25K?
4. Subwoofers/Tweeters - Would love to buy - which brand?

PS: currently i own a WagonR with sony explode HU and Sony front and rear speakers installed and simply hate the output! So sony is a big NO for me

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Once i get suitable advice from experts here i will head straight to EVO for install after delivery of vehicle in May 1st week
You could look at the Bull Audio - Components, Amp and Sub combination with the amp power cables they are VFM and the output is nice too.
Old 7th May 2014, 01:04   #12505
BHPian

Hi guys - looks like i'm gonna be picking up a Fiesta Classic soon and (like the Figo) its stock unit doesnt have pre-amps. So choosing between the (Ebay-coupon-discounted) JBL GTX 646 (Rs.5.7k) and the Sony XM N1004 (Rs.4.3k) and unable to find a definitive answer as to whether they will support speaker level inputs aka high level inputs? If not, any other suggested amps in this pricerange?

Thanks!
Old 7th May 2014, 13:12   #12506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakv View Post
... Fiesta Classic soon and (like the Figo) its stock unit doesnt have pre-amps. So choosing between the (Ebay-coupon-discounted) JBL GTX 646 (Rs.5.7k) and the Sony XM N1004 (Rs.4.3k) and unable to find a definitive answer as to whether they will support speaker level inputs aka high level inputs? ...
The JBL X646 has speaker level inputs. Even better is the Kenwood M846 (~5K), which also accepts speaker level inputs.
Old 16th May 2014, 22:38   #12507

Advice for ICE upgrade on my City

I have a 2006 Honda City ZXi CVT. I am the second owner and it came with a JVC in-dash CD player + AM/FM tuner. I don't remember the model number, though.

The main issue I have with it is that it doesn't have any AUX input or iPod compatibility. So, I would like to upgrade to a more contemporary system with those features plus any other useful features that you can recommend.

Following the format that was suggested in the sticky note at the top of this forum, I am providing the details of the existing system below.

1. Your Car: Honda City 2006 ZXi CVT

2. Your current setup (If any): JVC CD + AM/FM Tuner

3. Your Budget: Rs.8000/-, if I don't need to replace/upgrade my speakers, else Rs.15000/-

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Self-driven

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Every kind of music in the world (almost) but since kids dictate what music gets played most of the time, it's mainly contemporary rock & some R&B.

Additional Information: Like I said before, I don't mind retaining the current set of speakers, but if the in-dash unit (head unit?) and the speakers have to go together as a package, I'm willing to take the hit.

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Preferably not

Thank you in advance.
Swaroop
Old 19th May 2014, 02:07   #12508

Hey guys,
What speakers on the parcel tray of a small car - 6x9 or 6.5" ?

The speakers being considered are

6x9"
Alpine SPR-69
Kicker 40CS6934

6.5"
Hertz HCX165
Morel Maximo
Old 19th May 2014, 16:49   #12509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrpxz View Post
... JVC in-dash CD player + AM/FM tuner. I don't remember the model number, though. ...
Check the manual online - might have Aux-in on the rear panel, which has to be brought out to a 3.5mm socket. Not a difficult job.

If not, start by replacing the HU first, before changing speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 199SAM View Post
Hey guys,
What speakers on the parcel tray of a small car - 6x9 or 6.5" ? ...
6x9" oval coaxials on the parcel tray.
Old 26th May 2014, 22:42   #12510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The JBL X646 has speaker level inputs. Even better is the Kenwood M846 (~5K), which also accepts speaker level inputs.
Unable to source the Kenwood M846 anywhere :( Snapdeal's mouth watering price of 4.4k is also sold out since many days. How is the Blaupunkt EMA 455 for 5.5k?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks