Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 13:06   #8986
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Q1. Could it be a virus as the content is streamed through internet 90% of the time ?
Unlikely. Looks like an issue with electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Q2. Should I ask for a replacement if the issue turns out to be of motherboard or just let them replace the parts?
Ask for replacement, but again unlikely that they will replace the entire set. If done, great for you; if it doesn't then accept repair as these days repairs are complete board or panel swap- so, should be as good as new.

Do let us know how it goes. Will help others to know how good is MI on service front.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 31st July 2019, 13:53   #8987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

A couple of months ago, I subscribed to Hotstar Premium for the IPL and CWC content but discovered to my chagrin that you can't cast Hotstar to your TV via Chromecast. Similar problems with Prime Video as well (I believe that is now either resolved or in the process of being resolved).

Hey Noopster, the Hotstar app does support Chromecast. I have been using this for over a year now and it works very well even on my 1st gen Chromecast.

Amazon Prime did not support Chromecast, but even that has been sorted since Amazon and Google made peace with each other !
Old 1st August 2019, 07:23   #8988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Sony pushed the Oreo update for our 55X9000E recently .
I have a KD-55X7500F. I assume this is the same update that popped up on my tv a week ago. The TV is operating as it should for me. I don't use wi fi so can't comment. I have a wired Ethernet connection to the TV. The voice remote works fine. The graphical user interface has changed slightly making it a little sluggish. Usable for the most part.

Here is some information from my TV, if it helps you in any way.

Version 8.0.0 (I assume this is the android version)
Android Security patch Level 1 May 2019
Kernel Version 3.10.79
Build
BRAVIA_ATV3_4K_PA-user 8.0.0 OPR2.170623.027.S25
665201 release-keys

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st August 2019 at 07:25.
Old 1st August 2019, 12:48   #8989
BHPian

I am looking for 40/43 inchers for my bedroom. Sparse watching 5-6 hrs per week mostly streaming content and educational videos, no cable/set top and no gaming. Viewing distance would be 4-5 metres approximately. Budget 30-40k. Any leads/suggestions. Looking at Sony R252, w800f and samsung w5470.
Old 1st August 2019, 12:58   #8990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Hey Noopster, the Hotstar app does support Chromecast. I have been using this for over a year now and it works very well even on my 1st gen Chromecast.

Amazon Prime did not support Chromecast, but even that has been sorted since Amazon and Google made peace with each other !
True. Till I picked up the Fire TV stick few months before, I was mostly using Chromecast that I had bought many years before and used it to stream lot of content from Phone except Prime.

And only few weeks before Google and Amazon ended their feud with FireTV stick making you install the native YouTube app instead of Silk Browser while Prime videos allowing to be casted via Android devices including Chromecast.

So now I don't keep unplugging the Fire TV stick from my living room to my bedroom and instead manage it all with Chromecast itself.
Old 1st August 2019, 13:30   #8991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Sony pushed the Oreo update for our 55X9000E recently. Since the update two primary issues have cropped up i.e the wifi doesn't connect after power on/off at switchboard and the voice remote is useless. I checked online and issues are global in nature. I called up Sony and they said you installed some corrupt app. It is really pathetic state of affairs that after paying so much, the companies cannot ensure to give trouble free update ( in case they give ).

Mod Note : Please refrain from adding a space before a full stop. Instead, add a space after the full stop.
This is precisely the reason I hate doing updates. I have a 55X8500F. Was getting the oreo update reminder everytime I use to switch on the TV. So, finally did it a few days back. Haven't noticed any issue with WiFi connectivity. I use the Jio fibre router and it connects seamlessly. Haven't tried voice remote since then so can't comment on that. The only gripe I have with the update is the current UI. Earlier one was more user friendly and pleasant to go through. Try to find a way to do a hard reset. Maybe, that will solve the issues.
Old 1st August 2019, 18:36   #8992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Oops I gave it a try and somehow couldn't see the cast icon and assumed it didn't. Thanks for the update! Anyway am used to Fire stick now and using it exclusively.
Old 5th August 2019, 19:03   #8993
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

Need some help here. My LG Plasma 50in TV has developed an issue with the video panel getting shorted due to some voltage fluctuations as per the LG service tech. To make the TV operational, the video panel needs to be replaced with new panel costing some 27k. However the new panel will have to be imported from S. Korea and will have only 6 months warranty. What should be my options:
1) Replace the video panel and pray that it works for another couple of years by god's grace
2) Replace the TV with some cheaper available options in 30k range like Vu, Mi TCL etc. If I have to replace the TV, would like in 47-50in size only. Would I get anything for a non working TV in exchange?

Kindly advise.

Edit: Where can I check the part details of the TV?

Last edited by ghodlur : 5th August 2019 at 19:17.
Old 5th August 2019, 22:09   #8994
BHPian

Am buying my first TV and has been doing research on this for last month or so.

Would like to own a 48-55 inch TV and had a couple of questions.

How much of a difference does it make to buy a 4K TV? The premium for a 4K TV over a full HD one is currently around 7K depending on the brand.

The TV would be used for watching Amazon Prime/Netflix/Hotstar/Sony Liv and Youtube. Cable TV is very unlikely to be subscribed. My wife does watch shows on the above and the only usage for myself is live motogp/f1 and other sports.

1. Given the above, how much of the above current content is 4K? If there is enough 4K, which brand would you suggest in terms of upscaling ability since most of the videos are currently in 1080p?
  2. Should there be not much of 4K content, then a full HD tv should be fine.
    But would the brands like VU, TCL compare to Sony, Samsung, LG?
  3. Does it also make sense to pay additional and buy an android OS one?
Old 5th August 2019, 22:26   #8995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,
My LG Plasma 50in TV has developed an issue with the video panel getting shorted due to some voltage fluctuations as per the LG service tech. To make the TV operational, the video panel needs to be replaced with new panel costing some 27k.
1) Replace the video panel and pray that it works for another couple of years by god's grace
2) Replace the TV with some cheaper available options in 30k range like Vu, Mi TCL etc.
If I have to replace the TV, would like in 47-50in size only. Would I get anything for a non working TV in exchange?
Not an expert.
My 18 month old Sony 55 inch TV developed a problem. Hazy lines appear when starting it everytime.
Fixing it would cost me Rs 45,000 in case there was a problem with the display.
Consulted the good folk on this forum and member RiGOD told me not to bother with the repairs since I could get a newer TV in that price range. As of now, haven't purchased a new TV yet. Will run down this TV and scrap it later.

My query:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
I have a 3 year old 55 inch Sony Smart LED TV.
It is out of warranty. Is it worth paying so much for a LED panel for a 3 year old tv.
Advise by RiGOD:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
IMHO, No. For the price you can get a non-premium Smart LED TV like Mi or VU.
With regard to your query, since you have not mentioned the age of your TV, unless you are emotionally invested with that TV, like RiGOD did for me, I would advise you to get a newer TV which has latest tech and has manufacturer warranty + your purchased extended warranty.
Rs 27,000 spent on an old TV could be instead used to subsidize your new purchase. You could go in for the next segment in the TV food chain.
Old 5th August 2019, 23:11   #8996
BHPian

Quote:
Fixing it would cost me Rs 45,000 in case there was a problem with the display.
My experience with Sony repair is very very good. My 2010 purchased LCD has had such issues three times so far and the service technician has been able to change ics and solve it each time. Just last month he mentioned board may need to be replaced but he was able to get a display chip and replaced it at a cost of 3k. I would suggest getting another opinion on your issue.
Old 5th August 2019, 23:41   #8997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My experience with Sony repair is very very good. I would suggest getting another opinion on your issue.
Will explore other options.
The problem on my TV is either with the T Com board or the screen.
I have not called third party repairers but your experience encourages me to go that route.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 5th August 2019, 23:58   #8998
BHPian

Quote:
Will explore other options.I have not called third party repairers..
Sorry, just to clarify, it was sony official repair that I have utilized for my TVs so far. Have also sent the same technician to my cousins and colleagues places to fix their Sony TVs without the need for a board replacement. I suggest you call Sony service and provide an address in another part of the city and speak to the technican that calls you (from another service center) and explain or whatsapp the problem pics or video to him.
Old 6th August 2019, 10:17   #8999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With regard to your query, since you have not mentioned the age of your TV, unless you are emotionally invested with that TV, like RiGOD did for me, I would advise you to get a newer TV which has latest tech and has manufacturer warranty + your purchased extended warranty.
Rs 27,000 spent on an old TV could be instead used to subsidize your new purchase. You could go in for the next segment in the TV food chain.
Thanks for the response, I guess that's the most logical way to go forward.

The TV did mean special to me since I had gone the other way & bought the Plasma TV 5 yrs ago when the trend was LED TV's. The LG Service Engineer who checked my TV says its no point to further go for a Plasma TV as this is an energy guzzling piece of equipment and better go for the LED one.
Old 6th August 2019, 10:26   #9000
Distinguished - BHPian

Lot of people are suggesting buying a non-smart TV instead of a smart one.
Is there really a price difference?
There are only a handful of dumb units on sale on amazon, and I barely see a difference. I am looking for one, because I exclusively use the fire stick .
Also, any word on the 65 in units from TCL/VU etc?

Most Viewed