Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2020, 23:22   #7876
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Recently my 7 year old LG front loader stopped midway during washing. Called the LG support and they identified the issue to the corrosion of Rear Drum Assembly.

They've quoted Rs.6500 for the fixing which includes welding of a stainless steel shaft in lieu of original aluminum.

The service guy told me that its a common problem with all front loaders.

Is it true or is it a daylight robbery?
Yes this is true, mostly for chinese, korean and some US companies.
The german Bosch/Siemens and companies like whirlpool do not have this problem. But they have a more expensive problem read below.

In bosch/siemens/whirlpool etc you have to replace the entire tub assembly which includes the drum/spider and the plastic tub, just because of a simple Rs 100 bucks bearing failure. My whirlpool front loader had a bearing failure at about 7 year mark, it was one of the last models with a removable drum. The service center didn't even bother to visit saying no parts. I fixed it myself, fixing it off course is only for a hardened DIY enthusiast like me.

All current Bosch/siemens/whirlpool models have a sealed drum making repairs super expensive.

In LG they sell the drum/tub/spider etc all has separate parts. That said the cost quoted to you seems rather high, since for that price excluding labor you can probably get a new drum assembly or for a little more price a new tub.

Samsung has the worst design of spider, they fail in 4 to 5 years time and have class action lawsuit in the USA.

In EU bosch/siemens,whirlpool and other washing machine makers are also under a lawsuit because of the sealed aka plastic welded drum, making repairs more expensive then buying a new machine.

In any front loader the first point of major failure apart from the spider is the bearings.

Last edited by aim120 : 13th June 2020 at 23:30.
aim120 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 08:14   #7877
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
That said the cost quoted to you seems rather high, since for that price excluding labor you can probably get a new drum assembly or for a little more price a new tub.
My cost includes transportation + labour. So is it high?

Also why can't these companies make the shaft in stainless steel? Is it part of their planned obsolescence strategy?
Old 14th June 2020, 14:12   #7878
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
My cost includes transportation + labour. So is it high?

Also why can't these companies make the shaft in stainless steel? Is it part of their planned obsolescence strategy?
It does seem high, may be its high due to covid increased cost for transportation. 6 years back Siemens shipped a entire tub 5kg model assembly which includes the drum/tub and even shocks, 300+ kms to my village, a day or so later the service guys came and installed it and they charged around 5k.

You guessed it right, its planned obsolescence. When you put two different metals, you will cause galvanic corrosion in the weaker metal.
Some say it is to improve efficiency of using light weight metals. But in this day and age with powerful brush less motors, I see no reason for them to do this. Like I said other manufactures have used better metals.

Again how is it cheaper to put a stainless steel drum inside two halves of plastic tub and they plastic welding it using expensive machines and waiting for it cool down before a worker uses it for the next step vs just screws or clamps.

The IFB made 20 years ago by Bosch has a stainless steel drum and a tub and a really thick metal spider.

Currently the only washing machine in India which is similar with all stainless steel TUB and Drum and an externally placed ball bearings is the super expensive Miele which starts at 80k plus.

Last edited by aim120 : 14th June 2020 at 14:23.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 20:52   #7879
BANNED

Quote:
Recently my 7 year old LG front loader stopped midway during washing. Called the LG support and they identified the issue to the corrosion of Rear Drum Assembly.

The service guy told me that its a common problem with all front loaders.
Quote:
Samsung has the worst design of spider, they fail in 4 to 5 years time and have class action lawsuit in the USA.
Several months back, had posted how the frame of my Samsung front loader was disintegrating. I had decided to let it rot. And replace when it breaks down. The machine was literally raining rust. Some time in Nov or December, it gave way. A local service guy was called who identified the problem as a broken spider and quoted ₹ 3500 for it. Was earlier quoted 5 or 6k plus 2 weeks for replacing the frame. So this time, was bracing for a 10k bill.

The WM came back in 3 days, and the bill was still ₹ 3.5k. But the rust rain has stopped. And it is working fine. I did not bother asking anything, and my parents had handled.
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:57   #7880
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for a Refrigerator and Washing machine in 17K to 20K price range?
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:23   #7881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Any suggestions for a Refrigerator and Washing machine in 17K to 20K price range?
I am using these two appliances since last one year and will highly recommend them. The refrigerator (265L, Whirlpool) looks decent and has ample of sotrage space. Overall fit and finish is premium as well.

The LG semi-automatic washing machine is also silent when operating even under heavy load.

https://www.flipkart.com/whirlpool-2...place=FLIPKART

https://www.flipkart.com/lg-8-kg-5-s...place=FLIPKART

Disclaimer - Links only for reference. No affiliation with them.
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:23   #7882
BHPian

This is good info. Does LG have a similar policy of selling separate parts for all its appliances other than the washing machine?

Thanks,

Pradeep

Quote:

In LG they sell the drum/tub/spider etc all has separate parts. That said the cost quoted to you seems rather high, since for that price excluding labor you can probably get a new drum assembly or for a little more price a new tub.
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:34   #7883
BHPian

Hi all,

Any suggestions on good air-fryers? The lockdown demands cutting down on oil consumption.
Old 23rd June 2020, 01:08   #7884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Hi all,

Any suggestions on good air-fryers? The lockdown demands cutting down on oil consumption.
I have a Phillips Air Fryer and am quite happy with it. Initially the taste of the food takes some getting used to but after 3 or 4 days you won't notice the difference.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 10:23   #7885
BHPian

I am looking for a new Samsung convertible refrigerator. Specific models under consideration are 465L (RT47K6238UTTL) and 476L (RT49K6758S9) models.

Any feedback regarding either of these models and Samsung service feedback in Bangalore/ Whitefield will be helpful.
Old 25th June 2020, 21:11   #7886
Distinguished - BHPian

Any users of Dyson stick cordless vacuums, is the price justified? Wife is insistent on one, and I want to know if any other brands are the same. There's something called a Gtech available on Amazon, which has similar number and stars of rating, and costs 20k compared to the 30k of Dyson
Old 25th June 2020, 21:42   #7887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
Try the Bosch 5 in 1 - it is as good as Finish brand. You don't need to use any detergent / salt / rinse aid separately.

You can visit their website and see all the portals where it is available. Costs Rs.750/- for 35 tablets.
I have recently tried ArNiGo Dishwasher - works out to about Rs.18 per tablet and performance is the same as Finish.
Old 25th June 2020, 21:43   #7888
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Any users of Dyson stick cordless vacuums, is the price justified? Wife is insistent on one, and I want to know if any other brands are the same. There's something called a Gtech available on Amazon, which has similar number and stars of rating, and costs 20k compared to the 30k of Dyson
Mayank, take a look at the posts on this thread, from here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4773974 (Anybody used HiTech Robotic cleaning?)

And further on page 7 - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4819546 (Anybody used HiTech Robotic cleaning?)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th June 2020 at 21:55.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 13:55   #7889
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Dyson V6 absolute which I purchased in 2015. Was never used till recently and now the daily jhaadu is using that. I have only hard flooring and no carpets. The amount of dust it picks up in Bangalore is amazing and you will be surprised even if you vacuum daily. I use the fluffy head along with long wand. A single charge lasts for the entire home (2200 sft). The fluffy head and the wand are unfortunately not offered with the V7 model in India. That said, I have booked the Mi robot so that this can be automated.
Old 28th June 2020, 14:06   #7890
Senior - BHPian

I bought a new Dyson V10, paying close to 50K. It's very useful. Buy 'absolute' variant if you have non-carpeted floors (common in India) as you get the fluffy roller brush. This is available only in V8, 10 and 11 models. We have had numerous vacuum cleaners but most 'gathered dust' as they're cumbersome to operate. Dyson has released us of the cord and the weight, while offering superb suction. As a result everyone uses this daily
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks