Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2022, 12:11   #9241
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Can anybody share their experiences with the “inverted” refrigerator, i.e. deep freezer at the bottom & the regular fridge the top?

I am looking to buy one and I could see that this particular type is ONLY offered by Haier.

Before taking the plunge I would like to hear from you’ll as to how has been the user experience & it is really worth going for this configuration. Or should I just stick to the “standard” configuration of 2 door refrigerator.

Also, how is Haier brand in general? I have not used any appliance from this brand before.

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.
Old 16th January 2022, 12:47   #9242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Can anybody share their experiences with the “inverted” refrigerator, i.e. deep freezer at the bottom & the regular fridge the top?

I am looking to buy one and I could see that this particular type is ONLY offered by Haier.

Before taking the plunge I would like to hear from you’ll as to how has been the user experience & it is really worth going for this configuration. Or should I just stick to the “standard” configuration of 2 door refrigerator.

Also, how is Haier brand in general? I have not used any appliance from this brand before.

I have recently bought 2 haier refriegerators, one each for my and my in laws place. I have the french door one(freezer at the bottom) while at my in laws place it is the inverted one. Reason we went for inverted ones was because we do not have much need for freezer plus it is easier for the aged parents/in laws to use.

French door one was bought in 2020 while the inverted 2 door one was bought in Oct 2021. No issues in functioning and the company executive who came in to setup & demonstrate the product was good too. Only con I can think of in the inverted model is that the door is bit difficult to open (takes extra effort). I do have bought the extended warranty just in case. Hope this helps.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 12:49   #9243
BHPian

Quote:

If it helps, we have a Haier side by side fridge for about a year and it's working well. As it's working well, we have not had a chance to get to know the service side of things. But the delivery and product are good and as good as any others in the market.
In my view the main differentiator between Haier and say some brand like LG/Samsung is the service. But I really don't know how much of a difference it may be. But price wise there is a pretty big difference.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 16:48   #9244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not from experience, no, but I have always wondered why the opposite is the norm! For everyday access, surely it is easier to have fridge stuff higher?

Logic also suggests the cold-air falls thing. But, unless leakage of coolness from freezer to fridge is engineered into the freezer-on-top model, I'd think that cabinet insulation should make this irrelevant.

I'd like to have a bottom-freezer model. (Please read that statement strictly in context ).

With the threat of possible flood a couple of months ago, we raised up some things on blocks. That include the fridge-freezer. Life is easier with the fridge higher, and we've left it that way.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 19:07   #9245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Not from experience, no, but I have always wondered why the opposite is the norm! For everyday access, surely it is easier to have fridge stuff higher?
Probably becasue the household refrigerators used to be small in the size and capacity from the beginning. Compressor used to be located at the bottom part of the refrigerator for better weight distribution, similar like EV physics.

Compressor also produces lot of heat and the housing for it occupies some space from the internal compartment. The left out space will be useless if its not utilized inside the cooling compartment. And that small space and the Inefficient compressors of the initial days may not be suitable for the freezer if it's located at this location. So the designer may have decided to put the vegetable bucket in the left out space.

Wider flat space is more suitable for the freezer compared to the top-down deep compartment in the small household refrigerators, and putting it in anywhere in the middle breaks the continuity of the remaining compartment. So the freezer can either be at the bottom or at the top. Seems like the location at the top may have felt the only practical location to the designers that time and they started offering it that way.

Not sure if any manufacturer has changed the location of the compressor in any new design.

Thats what I can think as the 'technical' reason behind the conventional location of the freezer.

Its my assumption, actual reasons maybe different.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 16th January 2022 at 19:10.
tbppjpr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 11:00   #9246
BHPian

Quote:
These "Inverted" Refrigerators, are the two compartments thermally insulated?.
Old 17th January 2022, 19:56   #9247
BHPian

Quote:

Panasonic also have bottom mounted freezer models. Have been using one for a few years now. It is quite convenient in our experience and can't think about any negatives other than price perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
These "Inverted" Refrigerators, are the two compartments thermally insulated?.
Yes

Last edited by LobsterB : 17th January 2022 at 20:07.
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 15:14   #9248
Senior - BHPian

Guys changing from a squat Indian type toilet to an English sit on toilet which would be a good option? We are hesitating to move to the new type as a broken flush can cause unnecessary sights . Which would be a reliable flush for the modern commode toilet like brand etc?

Thanks.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 2nd February 2022 at 15:18.
Old 2nd February 2022, 15:19   #9249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys changing from a squat India toilet to a english sit on toilet which would be a good option? We are hesitating to move to the new type as a broken flush can cause unnecessary sights . Which would be a reliable flush for the modern commode toilet like brand etc?

Thanks.
Flushes from reputed brands rarely break all of sudden. So you are good if you stick to known brands - Hindware, Parryware, Cera. Also, spares are easily available for these brands

For a reliable flushing action, the design of the commode is more important than a reliable flush. Afterall, a flush is just a storage tank that empties the water when you press. Whereas, a poorly designed commode will cause unnecessary sights. Again, go with reputed brands for the commodes as well. Cera, Hindware, Jaquar, Kolher.

Additionally, the commode has to be installed on a level surface. Most plumbers neglect this aspect.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 2nd February 2022 at 15:20.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 15:34   #9250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys changing from a squat Indian type toilet to an English sit on toilet which would be a good option? We are hesitating to move to the new type as a broken flush can cause unnecessary sights . Which would be a reliable flush for the modern commode toilet like brand etc?

Thanks.
Any reputable brand will last long enough. I'm guessing you'd be converting the desi style toilet, so the flush tank will be outside. These have a lever for flushing and last way longer and are better to fix than the ones who's flush tank is concealed in wall. You can fix the broken flush mechanism by yourself as well, most of the times you don't need a plumber. Keep toilet paper near for those times when the flush gives up, lay it down and pour a bucket full of water to avoid unnecessary sights. As Sagarpadaki mentioned above, design and construction of the toilet plays major part in flushing, so make sure it is correctly installed.

Quote:

I've two appliances from Haier - a small refrigerator (240ltr) and split AC (1 tonne). The 3 year old AC is working well no issues at all, I just get it serviced and cleaned every year before summers. The refrigerator is about 5 years old now and off late the freezer compartment is not getting cooled - I don't hear the compressor kick in. However it does come with 10 year warranty on the compressor so I'm keeping my fingers crossed ! I have to get it checked by technician, will update here.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd February 2022 at 15:52. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:55   #9251
BHPian

Hey guys, I'm planning to buy Roidmi F8 Storm FX. Any long term reviews on this? Compared to Dyson this one has very less reviews online even after being in the market for some time.

There's lot of dust where we stay and this Vacuum's 100AW suction power looks enough to clear that, at least on paper. But I just want to be sure.

And how's the service, especially in Bangalore?
Old 5th February 2022, 13:14   #9252
Senior - BHPian

Any feedback about Borosil products? Thinking of ordering this Borosil hand mixer, intended usage being whipping/beating cake batter, eggs etc.:

Borosil Smartmix 300-Watt Hand Mixer (Silver) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07BJH2MN2/...CFBXB7PF5PGA6P

Or am I better off ordering a comparable one from Philips? Any other recommendations below Rs.2000 are also welcome.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th February 2022 at 13:16.
Old 5th February 2022, 15:14   #9253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Any feedback about Borosil products?
Big in glassware, I hadn't noticed their name on electric gadgets up to now. Is this a new departure for them, or just me not noticing, I wonder!
Old 5th February 2022, 15:57   #9254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Or am I better off ordering a comparable one from Philips? Any other recommendations below Rs.2000 are also welcome.
Would you buy a Mitsubishi TV instead of LG/Samsung/Sony?

Or a Samsung furniture over Godrej?

Or Louis Philipe watch over Casio?

Considering similar price tahs of the respective items.

Philips is an established brand so it is better to stick with them compared to Borosil who most probably are selling rebranded items bought in bulk (with quality control ofcourse).
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 21:46   #9255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Would you buy a Mitsubishi TV instead of LG/Samsung/Sony?

Or a Samsung furniture over Godrej?

Or Louis Philipe watch over Casio?

Considering similar price tahs of the respective items.

Philips is an established brand so it is better to stick with them compared to Borosil who most probably are selling rebranded items bought in bulk (with quality control ofcourse).
I fully agree with your post here except for Mitsubishi TV. I think they were a big player in TV market some years back.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks