Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 14:32   #4756
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjew View Post
Just picked it up yesterday here in Bombay. Walked into an Aircel retail outlet, had my PAN card, photo and landline telephone bill. Carry originals they're a bit fussy on that.

Paid 13k cash and walked out an hour later with an unlocked 3GS 8GB on 5.1.1. I'm not using the SIM so I don't really care about the network. I year Apple warranty.
Good to hear this. However, one down side to this that the resale value of 3GS now goes down even more. I was planning to tag my iPhone 3GS at 15k, but now people would ask for even lower price. "Kiska kuch, kiska kuch"
Old 25th July 2012, 15:09   #4757
Senior - BHPian

Thank you genJew. This has given me confidence to go for the offer.
Old 25th July 2012, 15:21   #4758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Users of Aircel How good is the network in Bangalore?

Thanks.
Have been using my iPhone 4S on Aircel since the last 3 months . After the poor Vodafone dog like experience that I had for 2 years , I would say Aircel is awesome .
Old 25th July 2012, 15:22   #4759
Senior - BHPian

I got the 9999+3000 Aircel offer 3GS (gifted it to my wife). Total paid 13350 (they said 350 is for Post paid deposit 1 month). Loved the unlocked Iphone (no pains of jail break etc etc)... Planning to use the 3G plan SIM on the wife out going Nokia Xpressmusic as my Net-Only phone for next 12 months. For this I will need to pay 199 (minimum rental) + taxes 25~ which makes sense for 2GB 3G speeds and beyond @ 2G unlimited. I dont want to cheat Aircel off their expected revenue of at least 200 from a customer. Beyond 12 months you can opt to cancel the SIM/connection.
Old 25th July 2012, 15:37   #4760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya

Have been using my iPhone 4S on Aircel since the last 3 months . After the poor Vodafone dog like experience that I had for 2 years , I would say Aircel is awesome .
I cant stop laughing at this. .
Im definitely getting the 3gs for my parents then. Great Vfm offering by Aircel right now, i feel.

Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 06:33   #4761
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if the aircel plan includes some voice and text or is it data only?
Old 26th July 2012, 11:02   #4762
BHPian

My 3GS display has gone bust. Apple refuses to service any phone which isnt from India even if I am willing to pay for it. (its apple, you see? )Can anyone point me to a good iphone repair center? I checked with irepair.in and they quoted 3.5K with 6 months warranty. I thought its a bit expensive.
Old 26th July 2012, 11:16   #4763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
>>>
speedsatya,

Surprised (positively) to hear that your 3G experience has improved by migrating to the Aircel network. Do you use the Aircel network in Bombay?

My 3G experience is as good as the state of the Indian economy - zilch, in Bombay. I am on Vodafone.

Regards
issigonis
Old 26th July 2012, 11:22   #4764
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread : YouTube downloads & playback

>>>

Apologies if this query has been answered already somewhere above - in which case please point me to the right place if you can! And also for the quick back to back posts.

I can't save a YouTube clip and play it offline. I have to stay connected on the 3G network. Isn't there any way that I can select a paricular clip on YouTube, download it on my 4S and save it, and play it later while offline? How do I do this?

Regards
issigonis
Old 26th July 2012, 11:25   #4765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish
My 3GS display has gone bust. Apple refuses to service any phone which isnt from India even if I am willing to pay for it. (its apple, you see? )Can anyone point me to a good iphone repair center? I checked with irepair.in and they quoted 3.5K with 6 months warranty. I thought its a bit expensive.
Why should they refuse? I thought the stupid Indian warranty was applicable for iPhone 4 & 4s. Seriously this Warranty pisses me off. Does Apple make devices it cant repair? All other manufacturers can give global warranty but they cant? Why differentiate Indian public from the rest of the world?

Btw you can get the touchscreen plus digitiser combo for around 2.5k i think. They are charging you 1000 approx for labor given its an iDevice. So maybe you can opt for it unless you wish to buy the screen+digitiser and fix it yourself.

Regarding this Aircel proviging 3gs for cheap; now ive a feeling they are bringing in refurbished handsets at lower prices and selling them to unsuspecting Indian customer.
Anyone share the same view?
Old 26th July 2012, 11:34   #4766
BHPian

Not possible, unless you use a jailbreak and then install an ap for downloading youtube videos.
Old 26th July 2012, 11:47   #4767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Why should they refuse? I thought the stupid Indian warranty was applicable for iPhone 4 & 4s. Seriously this Warranty pisses me off. Does Apple make devices it cant repair? All other manufacturers can give global warranty but they cant? Why differentiate Indian public from the rest of the world?
There is warranty on iphone if you buy from India through apple store or through apple partners like airtel/aircel etc.

All other products have global warranty, but they way apply honors warranty is far better than the other players like samsung and nokia. I have been couple of times for warranty support for ipad and ipod and both times the product was replaced with a new one in 1 day time. ipad had a very very minor screen ghosting problem which i am sure would not even acknowledged by any other service centers.

But there is no warranty on my iphone and i bought the phone knowing that :-)
Old 26th July 2012, 11:50   #4768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Not possible, unless you use a jailbreak and then install an ap for downloading Youtube videos.
>>>

Bad eh?
The perils of a walled garden approach for consumers who are used to an open environment.

Bad.

Regards
issigonis
Old 26th July 2012, 12:01   #4769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis

>>>

Bad eh?
The perils of a walled garden approach for consumers who are used to an open environment.

Bad.

Regards
issigonis
Its applicable even for android. Rather only on nokia phones we can download yt videos AFAIK. On android its not allowed despite the number of apps existing for the same but doesnt work.

@Rahulkool yes those are there but it can be of serious inconvenience to an iPhone user who has only one phone and travels around the world. So if his phone goes kaput while in India, Apple india will not touch it at all and that poor traveller will have to either buy a phone with Microsim support or just be incommunicado for the entire period of his vacation. Here global warranty is actually beneficial.

I wont blame this on Apple US but on Apple India for such restrictive pricing and warranty policies. Is it some sort of discrimination against Indian citizens? Why cant they price their products at global prices? Premium premium premium.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:01   #4770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
... Can anyone point me to a good iphone repair center? ...
3.6K is not a bad price, actually. If you want to compare, ask around at National Market.

Most Viewed