Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 01:00   #8341
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
So I've been using iPhone 6 for a few days now. Honest question, what was the fuss all about?

Apart from the excellent camera, long battery life (i migrated from Nexus 4) and a classy shiny screen I can't really think of many positives about it.

In fact from the usability perspective my vanilla android was way ahead and the moment I played around with any custom ROMs it was like playing god.

I'm not able to understand the hype around iPhone. Am i missing some really cool stuff that one can do with this phone? Are there apps that are must haves which I haven't been able to get my hands on yet. Sorry but I'm a little confused.
Haha. Welcome to the club.

Of course, its just a phone. But with iPhone - the phone retreats to the background and lets you do work without any lag, today or in the future (using my 2011 iPad2 as a reference). The apps scene is equal - its marginally better only for US apps which are sometimes made for iOS first. Apps for India are made for Android first and foremost.

What specifically do you miss with your iPhone? Please list that out so we can respond. Currently there's hardly anything to respond to, honestly.
Old 10th December 2015, 11:08   #8342
BHPian

Quote:
So I've been using iPhone 6 for a few days now. Honest question, what was the fuss all about?
There is nothing special in an I-Phone. A flagship phone from Samsung/LG/Sony are good enough choices against this. Nobody claims that the I-Phone is revolutionary. It is just one of the choices if you want to buy a flagship phone. As far as things like usability/lag/user experience are concerned, Flagships are pretty much the same (be it from Apple/Samsung/Sony). Just decide your budget and go with the one you are comfortable with - you will not regret buying flagships from Apple or other manufacturers.
Old 10th December 2015, 11:27   #8343
BHPian

Quote:
One thing which i have observed is that most of the non Apple flagships have frequent price drops. For eg, Galaxy S6 is now available at literally half price since launch. With Apple, the magnitude of the price drop is significantly less.
This helps with the resale value as well.
Old 10th December 2015, 12:33   #8344
Senior - BHPian

My observation :
IPhones are built to last. I cannot imagine a Samsung or HTC lasting >3 years and still feeling as good as new. And i am talking about the software and hardware. The IPhones are well built. My phone is a year old and it still feels like new when I use it. They age well. I am not so sure about androids though.
Old 10th December 2015, 13:03   #8345
BHPian

iOS 9.2 is out, looks like lots of bugs have been fixed and also have added many improvements.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...problems-list/
Old 10th December 2015, 13:10   #8346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
My observation :
IPhones are built to last. I cannot imagine a Samsung or HTC lasting >3 years and still feeling as good as new. And i am talking about the software and hardware. The IPhones are well built. My phone is a year old and it still feels like new when I use it. They age well. I am not so sure about androids though.
Absolutely spot on. My iphone5 is 3 years old and it still feels like new.
There is absolutely no lag in software or hardware. Once I had a problem power button on top which was promptly replaced free of cost.

On the contrary my wife's Samsung android has become very slow in one year. She has already declared her next phone will be iphone7 which will be launched next September.
Old 10th December 2015, 13:50   #8347
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, its just a phone after all. All along I thought that there was something incredible about this phone the way people used to drool over it. Not to mention, in Delhi its a status symbol. I mean if you have it, no big deal, but if you don't then you are a poor guy. Not my opinion, just how people around me look at it.

Coming to the things that I'm haggling with everyday now -

1) What's with no toggle button for Mobile Data on the homescreen or notification bar? How can I sort this out if at all I can?

2) I tried a couple of launchers but they are all restricted to the Notification Menu and don't really do much. Is there a launcher that makes the experience better? Mind you, my phone isn't jailbroken and I don't intend to do so either.

3) How do I put the cursor somewhere between the text if I'm writing and want to correct something midway. When I touch the exact spot where I want the cursor it goes to start or end of a word usually. Then there are 'Select' and what not options but the cursor doesn't seem to obey me at all. Not a phone issue coz the same happens with my wife's iPhone too.

4) I currently have 'Fuel Monitor' app to track fill-ups, running cost etc. Is there a better fuel fill-up tracker? I was using aCar ealier in android and it was swell.

5) Lastly, are there significant advantages of getting a glass tempered screen even when the OEM screen is keying-proof? Would it protect the screen from shattering from a drop maybe?
Old 10th December 2015, 14:50   #8348
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile WS retail is selling iPhone 5s for 22499. Very tempting. There is no doubt it's an amazing phone and I am sure it still has 3 more years of life left in it considering the updates iOS is receiving.
Old 10th December 2015, 15:46   #8349
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from the build quality, I would say it is the user friendliness of the OS that beats android hands down.
To share a funny story, my wife always complained to me that how she cannot download music, expand the memory, share files via Bluetooth, etc of her iphone and told me how androids are so much better (without ever using it)
So, after continuous niggling of 1.5 years, I took her iphone and gave her a Samsung S4 lying around at house.
My wife has been struggling to use it since last week.
In fact, many a times indirectly she's hinting so that I give her the iphone back!
Agreed that she will eventually get used to but in my opinion, the iOS is just a class apart. Not meant to hurt the sentiments if any android user.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 10th December 2015 at 15:51.
Old 10th December 2015, 18:11   #8350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And custom crap? Have you even used custom ROMs ever? Because anybody who has used some decent custom ROMs on a phone like Nexus 4 onwards would tell you that the experience is incredible. Care to share how many custom ROMs you've used on Android and on which phone so that I can also understand your squabble with them?
All this custom rom thingie is too highly rated IMHO. The whole idea that a bunch of people making firmware in their free time for free (most of the time) can do a better job than the OEM who knows the hardware inside out is incredibly naive. Then are the nitty gritties like what happened with Samsung
http://www.xda-developers.com/samsun...y-of-betrayal/

If Android is what you are after then stock Android it should always be. My 2+ years old Nexus 5 still runs absolutely fine on the latest Marshmallow but when it comes to device security and encryption they are not even close to iOS. iPhone has been using hardware encryption since 3GS days, something which Android has not been able to do even now. There are other things too but not everyone judges their phone on whether they can install custom rom's or send files through bluetooth or ability to set a song as a ringtone. My smartphone is like a miniature computer in my pocket and since it is vulnerable to both theft and loss, I want it to be as secure as possible even if that means that I am not able to do some trivial stuff which when you look at the bigger picture is a very very small price to pay. I also want my phone to work everytime I pull it out of my pocket and give me battery life which is deterministic in nature. No Android phone can claim that not even stock Android on a Nexus device. What I mean by this is when my iPhone 6S Plus has 20% battery in the morning, I know that it would be able to get by until the evening even if I do not turn off 4G data and put it into low power mode. With Android, all it takes in one rogue process to screw your battery life and you do not even know what hit you. I could go on and on but I will stop here because I think I have made my point.

Low power mode on iOS is another example of Apple's attention to detail because unlike Android, which slows down CPU/GPU to save power resulting in choppy animations and scrolling, you could not even tell that the low power mode is on in iOS if you were using it normally unless I told you so or you looked it up yourselves.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 10th December 2015 at 18:15.
Old 10th December 2015, 18:43   #8351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) What's with no toggle button for Mobile Data on the homescreen or notification bar? How can I sort this out if at all I can?
No easy way out, apart from having settings icon on home screen so you get to mobile data toggle with a click or two.

Quote:
2) I tried a couple of launchers but they are all restricted to the Notification Menu and don't really do much. Is there a launcher that makes the experience better? Mind you, my phone isn't jailbroken and I don't intend to do so either.
Not sure about recent ones, but i had gone this way but stock one was the best after some trial a while back.

Quote:
3) How do I put the cursor somewhere between the text if I'm writing and want to correct something midway. When I touch the exact spot where I want the cursor it goes to start or end of a word usually.
Just a longer press at the spot and it will, infact much accurate than ondroids.

Quote:
4) I currently have 'Fuel Monitor' app to track fill-ups, running cost etc. Is there a better fuel fill-up tracker? I was using aCar ealier in android and it was swell.
If its just FE then try Mileage Keeper, i use it to track multiple vehicles.

Quote:
5) Lastly, are there significant advantages of getting a glass tempered screen even when the OEM screen is keying-proof? Would it protect the screen from shattering from a drop maybe?
To a great extent it would; i use a thick Bumper (Spygen Neo Hybrid Aluminum) to protect from drops. Somehow never liked the idea of using another layer on top of the screen after spending so much for the screen resolution.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th December 2015 at 18:44.
Old 10th December 2015, 19:38   #8352
Team-BHP Support

Not a gripe against iOS per se since Android does it too, but why is it so difficult to put a mobile data toggle on the notification panel? Seems funny after all the tall claims of providing an 'intuitive' experience.

Mobile data is arguably the most used toggle on a smartphone (given near-universal patchy network coverage and battery tech limitations), but both major OSes (in stock form) need you to dive into settings to toggle it. My silly Android 5.1 phone lets me toggle lesser-used features (Cast Screen, Torch and even Screen Rotation) from the panel, but not mobile data. They must have an exclusive dictionary where intuitive means something else from its regular meaning in common-folk speak.

Bizarre.

About the whole cases & protectors thing, what's the point having a Greek god body if you're going to dress it up to look like the Michelin Man?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th December 2015 at 19:45.
Old 10th December 2015, 19:43   #8353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
What I mean by this is when my iPhone 6S Plus has 20% battery in the morning, I know that it would be able to get by until the evening even if I do not turn off 4G data and put it into low power mode. With Android, all it takes in one rogue process to screw your battery life and you do not even know what hit you.
I totally agree on the battery standpoint. In fact this is one of the best things about iPhone for both me and my wife right now. I've even had instances of my Nexus 4 shutting down in the middle of the night and I wake up 2 hours later than the actual alarm time, imagine my plight!

Contrary to what you pointed out, I've had an amazing experience with PA and Slim bean ROMs. Absolutely no restarts for days and any shortcut I imagined I was able to get that exactly where I wanted. Halo was something that I really enjoyed which made the phone extremely efficient to use. I also used CM and AOKP but there were bugs and restarts & app crashes weren't that rare.

I'm not sure how secure is the security part because (1) I'm no expert and (2) the celeb images that were stolen off the apple servers don't instill too much confidence overall.

I mean there isn't really any such thing as 100% secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just a longer press at the spot and it will, infact much accurate than ondroids.
It even brings up a small magnify window, you're a lifesaver man!

Quote:
Somehow never liked the idea of using another layer on top of the screen after spending so much for the screen resolution.
Absolutely! I think I'll get a stylish case only that retains the classy shiny look of the phone.
Old 10th December 2015, 20:49   #8354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm not sure how secure is the security part because (1) I'm no expert and (2) the celeb images that were stolen off the apple servers don't instill too much confidence overall.

I mean there isn't really any such thing as 100% secure.
The leaks occurred due to poor passwords and easy to guess email /user ids plus easy security questions.

One more reason is that the phones were not backed up frequently. So any changes in photos (eg deletion) was detected way after the actual deletion took place.

Also general tip, your passwords should ideally be something like gyt4_re3 rather than myname23. And while using any services online eg drive/Dropbox/iCloud etc, make sure you are aware of what exactly happens to your data and how long it's kept on their servers after deletion from your side.
Old 10th December 2015, 20:56   #8355
BHPian

Quote:

Just a longer press at the spot and it will, in fact much accurate than androids.

Jaggu Da,

You saved my life too by disclosing this.

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks