Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2015, 11:50   #3451
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

anyone faced issues with updating maps for their garmin PNDs with windows 10. My device connects to garmin express and when i click to check for any updates that is available i am getting an error message "unable to connect to the server". please advise
Old 15th October 2015, 15:25   #3452
BANNED

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

I find Garmin Express pretty useless in India. Also, this could be some connection issue.
Old 18th November 2015, 16:44   #3453
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure, if it will be OT here, but can anyone recommend a good paperback map book of India?
Old 18th November 2015, 16:50   #3454
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Not sure, if it will be OT here, but can anyone recommend a good paperback map book of India?
One I used to remember was Eicher maps. But with the advent of digital maps, dont know much relevance they have now. Any offline maps on phone should be as good though. (like Here maps).

Last edited by ampere : 18th November 2015 at 17:29.
Old 18th November 2015, 17:06   #3455
BHPian

Quote:
..a good paperback map book of India?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
One I used to remember was Eicher maps. ...
Its "India Road Atlas" from Eicher, its fairly detailed book and found it to be best when I got it a few years back.
I still keep it along on longer drives as last resort if nothing else works.
Old 18th November 2015, 17:32   #3456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
One I used to remember was Eicher maps. But with the advent digital maps, dont know much relevance they have now. Any offline maps on phone should be as good though. (like Here maps).
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Its "India Road Atlas" from Eicher, its fairly detailed book and found it to be best when I got it a few years back.
I still keep it along on longer drives as last resort if nothing else works.
Well, Here and Google both have failed me at some point in HP/UK/RJ/JK. I want to keep one for backup just as deepv mentioned. At least I will have something to fall back on. As often times, on the interior roads, there is no one to ask directions from.

Thanks for the leads, will look up Eicher. Vaguely remember HVK also recommending it some yrs back.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:17   #3457
BANNED

I have a Delhi road Atlas from them which is over a decade old. I still use it occasionally. Nearest thing to the UK A-Z maps of yesteryear.
Old 19th November 2015, 10:45   #3458
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the leads, will look up Eicher. ...
Here is quick link for the one I was talking about - Eicher India Road Atlas
Old 19th November 2015, 14:23   #3459
BHPian

Google maps now available in offline mode,

The feature has been rolled out to the latest Google Maps version on Android first and the iOS rollout will take place later.

Sources:

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...ia-288227.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/49842855.cms
Old 19th November 2015, 16:09   #3460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Google maps now available in offline mode, ...
That's a great news .. thanks for pointing it out.
If GM will allow downloading maps (statewise or citywise) similar to Here, then it should definitely improve navigation and POI searches.
Old 19th November 2015, 16:20   #3461
BHPian

Quote:
That's a great news .. thanks for pointing it out.
If GM will allow downloading maps (statewise or citywise) similar to Here, then it should definitely improve navigation and POI searches.
From what I have tried so far, downloading maps is currently restricted to 400mb per file. This should be good enough to cover a big city like Bangalore and also surrounding areas. I have also read somewhere that people are able to download maps of bigger size, but when i tried, it restricted to 400mb. But this should be good enough to start with.
Old 19th November 2015, 19:25   #3462
BHPian

Each of the AP, MH and KA package for Here maps is around 300-400MB for me (and combined together should be lesser).
So I guess 400MB of GM should good to cover one state, will try out and update.
Old 20th November 2015, 12:23   #3463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is quick link for the one I was talking about - Eicher India Road Atlas
Thank you! Just ordered one..
Old 20th November 2015, 14:29   #3464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Here maps ...
I recently had a few spooky experiences with Here maps route guidance in Singapore and Malaysia. In each instance, it was asking me to go over a water body (canal, river, lake), perhaps *assuming* that the road continues over it. The road was very much there up till the bank of water body, with a corresponding road on the other side. This happens when the road ends in a boat landing / dock.

The first time it happened, I was seriously looking for a submerged road and wondering whether I should cross (there are many of these in Karnataka where the road bridge is submerged when a river is in spate). The next time it happened I just took a deviation before I actually reached there, and allowed Here maps to reroute.
Old 20th November 2015, 15:06   #3465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I recently had a few spooky experiences with Here maps route guidance in Singapore and Malaysia. In each instance, it was asking me to go over a water body (canal, river, lake),..
Haha .. that's some experience, perhaps there used to be a bridge there to take you to other side to the connecting road .

On more serious note, this keeps happening a lot with GPS devices (I use a Garmin, which again uses HERE maps)
when they tell you to turn in a particular direction no matter what and you can face various scenarios - no road, narrow road, nalaa, and so on.
Learnt hard way that you should not follow all their instructions, always keep to wide roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks