Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 22:29   #1846
BANNED

Re: The Windows Phone Thread

Guys my whatsapp is eating a lot of phone memory. It has used 1.44GB already and eating my phone memory. The recent whatsapp update does not let it move to SD card. What is the solution to this mates? Can I uninstall whatsapp and reinstall again from market thus losing my chats and data?
Old 19th August 2014, 00:56   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Guys my whatsapp is eating a lot of phone memory. It has used 1.44GB already and eating my phone memory. The recent whatsapp update does not let it move to SD card. What is the solution to this mates? Can I uninstall whatsapp and reinstall again from market thus losing my chats and data?
No worries!

Open WhatsApp. Go to settings, go to chat settings. And then hit backup.

Once the backup is completed, you can safely uninstall WhatsApp and reinstall it back. During the reinstall, you will be asked if you wish to restore from the backup, say yes and you are good to go!
Old 19th August 2014, 07:55   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
You can enable Cotana on WP8.1 Update 1 for India itself. After getting the update. Keep all settings to India but set speech setting to English (UK).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
So, after updating to 8.1 do I have to update again?

Because I tried changing speech to English (UK) and it doesn't work.
I think there was one more update that came out last week or so, which enabled Cortana for India. Without that update, Cortana would be available for US.

Try this:
Language: English (US) - you can have multiple languages but ensure English (US) is moved up to the top of the list.
Regional Format: match phone language
Speech: English (US)
Old 19th August 2014, 13:17   #1849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Any option to keep the old bing search when I click the search hotkey? I'm not liking the Cortana popping up unnecessarily and taking a lot longer to eventually load up the search results.

Here is what I would like - Invoke Cortana when I want to do so using the Cortana icon and let regular phone functions work the same way as before otherwise. I can disable Cortana but I would like to explore it when I'm free while I need to get things done faster when I'm busy without a Cortana layer slowing down things. Any way to do this?

Cortona doesn't work if location services are off. So you can keep them off normally. Switch it on only when required. For that, add a shortcut to location in notification bar.
Not a proper solution. But works.

Cheers
amansanc
Old 19th August 2014, 14:59   #1850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
No need to uninstall. This must be the media and conversations piling up. In your existing conversations - use "clear conversations". Shorter conversations will have smaller backup size.

Additionally, using a file manager, clear unnecessary pics/videos from Whatsapp > Media > Whatsapp Audio/Images/Video/Profilepics. All these folders will have additional "sent" folder - this is where whatever you send is copied. Clear this as well.

Edit:
Disclaimer - This is what I do on my Android to keep the disk usage of whatsapp in check.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 19th August 2014 at 15:00.
Old 20th August 2014, 01:02   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
So, after updating to 8.1 do I have to update again?

Because I tried changing speech to English (UK) and it doesn't work.
WP8.1 Update 1 is dev preview update which enables Cortana in alpha mode for Indian users. So if you are enrolled with the dev preview program you will get the update automatically.
Old 20th August 2014, 01:17   #1852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
WP8.1 Update 1 is dev preview update which enables Cortana in alpha mode for Indian users. So if you are enrolled with the dev preview program you will get the update automatically.
I got the 8.1 update as public release and not dev version. I'm aware of the fact that we can enable cortana in Dev version. But is there any way of enabling it in public version?
Old 20th August 2014, 06:44   #1853
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am using DP 8.1 on my L 720 and when i go to extras & info its showing me as Black edition. All others Lumia 720 around me (got 4 in family) and all those 4 have recd the update officially. Do i need to roll back to Win 8 to get official update?

Thanks

Regards,
Old 21st August 2014, 21:30   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I am using DP 8.1 on my L 720 and when i go to extras & info its showing me as Black edition. All others Lumia 720 around me (got 4 in family) and all those 4 have recd the update officially. Do i need to roll back to Win 8 to get official update?

Thanks

Regards,
Sorry missed your post. Yup, you have to roll back to WP 8. Although some users are reporting that they don't have to downgrade. So you can manually check for updates. I personally didn't bother with Cyan 'cause I don't want to waste my Internet data on this will probably do it after I have crossed my FUP limit.
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:30   #1855
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Lumia 920 has finally received the 8.1 update? Got a prompt on my device sometime back.

Will check it out later in the evening.

EDIT: Yep. Confirmed.

Cyan Update - Availability in Asia Pacific

All the devices except the 525, 620 and 820 have the updates available now.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd August 2014 at 10:32.
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:06   #1856
Team-BHP Support

Updated my 920 yesterday evening. The OTA update took approx. 1 hour for the download and installation.

The notifications bar is lacking the option for a network connection shortcut. This would have come in handy to enable/disable 3G.
Old 23rd August 2014, 20:49   #1857
BHPian

I moved to windows phone (lumia 925) from android (S3) about three months ago. So far am loving it and am happy to leave the "laggy" days behind. The one thing I miss the most is the team bhp app. And no forum apps available in the store supports team bhp. Are there any alternatives than using the mobile website?
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:32   #1858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I moved to windows phone (lumia 925) from android (S3) about three months ago. So far am loving it and am happy to leave the "laggy" days behind. The one thing I miss the most is the team bhp app. And no forum apps available in the store supports team bhp. Are there any alternatives than using the mobile website?
Desktop version of IE in WP8 supports most of the sites and I've never faced any issues with it. Set the IE settings to desktop version and access the TBHP regular url. I've not really felt the need for an app in WP8. Using remember password option while logging in would mean you don't have to login everytime.

The TBHP app in my Android tablet is certainly less user-friendly (my opinion) than the IE browser in WP8.
Old 24th August 2014, 08:52   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Desktop version of IE in WP8 supports most of the sites and I've never faced any issues with it. Set the IE settings to desktop version and access the TBHP regular url. I've not really felt the need for an app in WP8. Using remember password option while logging in would mean you don't have to login everytime.

The TBHP app in my Android tablet is certainly less user-friendly (my opinion) than the IE browser in WP8.
Thanks for the tip!. It does look good in desktop mode. I had been using the mobile version to save data. Again, I must say that the reading mode is an absolute joy to use. I wonder why google hasn't copied it yet.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:46   #1860
BANNED

I got a 8.0 update today. I clicked next before reading a description of the update. The update hasn't caused any issues, but I have no clue what it provided - how do I find out what bugs have been fixed by this update and what features have been added.

Post the update, my phone (525) shows
OS Version: 8.0.10532.166
Firmware Revision: 3055.40000.1347.1001
Radio software version: 2.0.242028.8

Any idea what I got in the latest update?

Another question is about battery life - does setting the Contrast to High improve the battery life much? I have done it anyway - I like minimalist look even if it doesn't improve battery life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks