Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 12:12   #6571
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Word of caution to every Android tinker out there.

NEVER downgrade.if you've flashed 2.3 NEVER try to go back to to 2.2.as gingerbread changes the bootloader and when you downgrade all you get is a brick

Err... emm... I posted a reply to the same post you are replying to from my Samsung GT-S5570, after downgrading it from CWM 7.1 on top of 2.3.4 to 2.2.2 Froyo.

Contrary to what you said, I have a working phone. I guess caution is indeed always advisable, but as a rule, a sweeping generalisation as you made is unwarranted.
Old 12th November 2011, 12:33   #6572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Err... emm... I posted a reply to the same post you are replying to from my Samsung GT-S5570, after downgrading it from CWM 7.1 on top of 2.3.4 to 2.2.2 Froyo.

Contrary to what you said, I have a working phone. I guess caution is indeed always advisable, but as a rule, a sweeping generalisation as you made is unwarranted.
It aint a sweeping statement. he tried to download the stock firmware on a gingerbread phone.not a flashable 2.2 rom.it causes a brick in MOST devices. Google/xda/modaco. search on whatever forum you get your info from.

he mentioned RSD. RSD is used for the flashing of SBF files.using a 2.2 SBF on upgraded moto phones cause a brick.please research a bit before you give advice.some people rely on it

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 12th November 2011 at 12:40.
Old 12th November 2011, 12:55   #6573
BANNED

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. The way you put it, I thought it applies to all devices and all modes of switching ROMs. Happy to know that the phone deals with flashable ROMs differently.
Old 12th November 2011, 14:44   #6574
BHPian

Anyone with Nexus s , how is the battery backup with stock and custom rom ..
Old 12th November 2011, 17:38   #6575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku
My friends have this phone. They are getting two days with stock ROM. Heard that it can go up to 5 days with CM7.1.
Old 12th November 2011, 19:19   #6576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
I have 2 Nexus-S (cdma ones - Sprint) coming in from the US (11k each). Will post review soon.
Old 12th November 2011, 19:48   #6577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

My friends have this phone. They are getting two days with stock ROM. Heard that it can go up to 5 days with CM7.1.
I get 3 or 4 days if I am using the phone for only calls. If I put it into proper performance use its only eight to ten hours.
Old 12th November 2011, 20:24   #6578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Yes! I did it! I bricked my Defy.

With my limited knowledge of intricacies of flashing/rooting etc. I did manage to flash CM7.1. After using it for a day, I decided to go back to stock Froyo as I faced issues with email/wi-fi/gps etc. (may be I did not follow the steps correctly??)

1. The major mistake I did was to store the backup on SD card and in the process of flashing, formatted it by mistake!!
2. As the image of my old OS was erased, I had to download the firmware
2. With the help of RSD 4, I tried to install chinese version of Froyo. Though the installation was 100%, the phone didn't boot beyond "android" logo :(

That's when I had to take it to an authorized motorola service center. Luckily, they agreed to cover it under warranty . It's been more than 8 days since I left my phone with them. They say the phone's board has a problem and they do not have stock!

So, a word of caution to Ginger Bread upgrade aspirants, if you are not comfortable with technicalities of flashing/rooting etc. "like me", do not even attempt it!! Overload of varied information on the internet (different forums) definitely will confuse you. . .
No yaar.

That is the exact problem with half information. You needed to do more homework. I have downgraded to UK Froyo.

Let me say this for those who will read it in the internet and get scared from HALF information:
CHINESE FROYO IS NOT RECOMMENDED. Alot of things don't work - stuff like FM Radio & Flashlight (it can permanently get off). Why did you use Chinese Froyo?

That said, in your case - did you wipe both cache and DATA as well? If the phone booted, it is NOT BRICKED. BRICK is when phone does NOT boot at all. Here is how I learned the hard way: xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (Android 2.3.7) (my issue was solved over next 3-4 pages). I am quite sure that if your phone booted and showed android logo then it would have no issue. My problem was that my phone's down button" works in 2nd-init only if I press it 30% mid-way. In your case did you try reflashing? Did it enter recovery at all?

@Bluengel - Gingerbread on Defy uses the 2nd init - it DOES NOT REPLACE the bootloader by default IIRC. All "gingerbread" Defys for instance have Froyo with 2nd init operational that brings in GB from thereon. Only a few guys use the "leaked" GB ROM (or custom ROMs based on it) that itself have lots of problems.

@BSD: Boss, EVERY manufacturer's process is different. You cannot make one advice which works for all. 99.999% much more than meets the eye.

General advise to all defy owners - before you guys have any such problems that warrants visiting the service center - please STOP & drop me a line. I should be able to help out in 99% of cases - having been there myself! Of course, I undertake no warranty for my advice!!

So for defy owners wanting to downgrade to official ROMs - the step is SIMPLE:
  1. Reboot, enter recovery (on blue LED, press down)
  2. Wipe cache and then wipe data. wipe dalvik as well (advanced->dalvik)
  3. Go back to previous menu and switch off
  4. wait a few seconds (or maybe i'm superstitious) - then press up button and switch on. You will see the bootloader mode.
  5. Connect USB, and flash the SEA ROM or the UK ROM (what i use most often).
Reboot and enjoy. If there is a problem, ask here/PM me. or head over to the XDA thread here: [DEV][ROM] CyanogenMod 7.1.0 (Android 2.3.7) - xda-developers - you should get lovely knowledgeable real time help there. 99.9999% cases its near impossible to brick a Defy (in my experience). A bit of patience and xda wisdom should win the day.

Whitesquall,

If i were you, I would head over tomorrow to the service center, try and enter recovery or reflash the phone. "board having a problem" sounds like typical service center incompetence. if the phone booted enough to show android logo (and i'm assuming the logo was animated, right?) then i dont see where the board should develop an issue, honestly.

Last edited by phamilyman : 12th November 2011 at 20:26.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2011, 22:00   #6579
BHPian

Quote:
@Bluengel - Gingerbread on Defy uses the 2nd init - it DOES NOT REPLACE the bootloader by default IIRC. All "gingerbread" Defys for instance have Froyo with 2nd init operational that brings in GB from thereon. Only a few guys use the "leaked" GB ROM (or custom ROMs based on it) that itself have lots of problems.
I'm familiar with the flashing process of the defy.having installed CM7 on it myself.but he did not use CWM to go back to froyo.he used RSDlite which we ATRIX owners know bricks up moto phones when you downgrade as it deals with SBF's when most people don't know what they are doing.

READ the forums of your phone before doing anything you're not sure off.advice to everyone

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 12th November 2011 at 22:03.
Old 12th November 2011, 23:01   #6580
Senior - BHPian

Android Gurus,

My LG P500 was running on CM7.1 mik ROM for the last few weeks. But since a day or two, I'm facing a weird *no network coverage issue*

Whenever I turn ON my phone after switching it OFF, the phone never catches the network signals. But after rebooting the phone a few times or keeping the phone idle for couple of minutes the phone catches the signal on it's own!!

Further I'm facing troubles in enabling airplane mode. The phone refuses to go to airplane mode. That is, whenever I select the airplane mode, the mobile networks and related options gets blacked out as usual, but few seconds later the options becomes available, suggesting us that the phone did not go to airplane mode.

I was under the assumption that the problem might be due to either faulty SIM or bugs in the custom ROM. But I was proved wrong as the SIM works perfectly in other phones and the above issues persists even after flashing official 2.2 ROM

Again, I was facing another issue, ie I was NOT able to receive any calls or messages on my phone even while using perfectly working SIM cards whereas I'm able to call others or receive calls.

So, what's exactly wrong with my phone? It looks more like an hardware issue for me. The board was replaced 2-3 months back as it was found to be defective.

1) I have flashed the ROMs the right way. Ask clevermax, I had pinged every now and then to clear my stupid queries while flashing.

2) The phone still has 2 months warranty remaining.

3) The GPS, WiFi, bluetooth etc works perfectly fine.

4) I'm able to find the cell phone towers by manually searching for them in the settings menu.

In my understanding one need to have a working SIM to search for the towers. Did I get it right?

Phamilyman, clevermax and others please help me.

PS : Don't tell me that my phone is jinxed.
Old 13th November 2011, 10:19   #6581
BHPian

Hi All,

I recently picked up a Galaxy Y for my mom and I want to know how to increase the font sizes for the contacts and sms msgs. In my iPhone, I have accessibility options where I can increase the font size which will reflect in the size of fonts in contacts as well as sms msgs. Is there a similar settings or an app that will do this in Android?

Prajwal
Old 13th November 2011, 11:58   #6582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have one with SMOLED, I get 6 days backup with CM 7 (usually latest nightly). my usage are calls and rarely with music, once a week wifi usage and sync contact to Google. Last one month I used MIUI, this used to give 3.5 days backup for same usage, reverted back to CM7.
Old 13th November 2011, 12:44   #6583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla

I have one with SMOLED, I get 6 days backup with CM 7 (usually latest nightly). my usage are calls and rarely with music, once a week wifi usage and sync contact to Google. Last one month I used MIUI, this used to give 3.5 days backup for same usage, reverted back to CM7.
I use nscollab 50 rom with matr1x10 kernel. You can try it...you can oc to 1400mhz too..
Old 13th November 2011, 12:53   #6584
Senior - BHPian

My Galaxy S i9000 runs stock Gingerbread 2.3.3. I haven't rooted my fone at all. I was kinda interested in CM7 stable mod. But then looks like you need to run ONLY froyo to install any Custom ROMs. Is that true?
Old 13th November 2011, 13:09   #6585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Android Gurus,

My LG P500 was running on CM7.1 mik ROM for the last few weeks. But since a day or two, I'm facing a weird *no network coverage issue*
I have the same phone with CM71. Mik 6.5.8.
I do not have any issues like this.
Every week end i try different ROMs and sunday evening revert back to mik 6.5.8.
Wipe everything and flash ROM, before wiping take backup.
santhoshs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed