Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2012, 08:37   #10141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
The only issue i have is that Stupid Kies software. It does not update the firmware if you are using a USB dongle to access the internet. Strange.

If you dont mind, would you let me know did you handle your Galaxy S roughly or installed custom ROMs/third party software ?
Kies is like your old windows. IE before windows 7. You want to do so many things with it but you know you will see the BSOD or the windows asking you to restart. In reality the Kies is needed for the drivers it bring with it.

Now these are the steps i followed for updating the galaxy s.

Get PC ODIN - 1.85 (Google)

Go to Sammobile page and locate your device and firm ware.

DOwnload the file. Either its a single file or three files.

Load the files into Odin and just update.

You can get the steps needed in ODIN clearly from any where in XDA developers. Sammobile.com has official firmware which means using ODIN will not break your warranty or anything of that sort.

Method 2-
Just take it to samsung service center. They will do it few minutes.
Old 18th July 2012, 08:54   #10142
Senior - BHPian

After asking too much of questions about buying a mobile phone, I've narrowed down to Xperia U or WT19i out of needs + affordability; here's the summary of my requirement in the order of priority...

- Excellent talk feature (more of user friendly)
- Good battery life w.r.t talk time
- Has to support conference calls, look up address book during a call, has to provide easy lock & unlock feature
- Should support categorizing contacts them based on profiles & assigning individual ring tones
- Should support storing several contacts under one profile (current phone has a limit of 10 or so)
- Should support MP3 & support different types of video files (if possible compressing videos)
- GSM
- Single SIM
- ANDROID
- Touch phone (no qwerty)
- Priority for internet usage
- Should support Google Lat/Navigation
- Should support extended memory
- Good if it support emails & 3G, but not necessary
- Able to install apps and use the apps
- No Samsung or HTC please

Is my choice of phone on XPeria U or WT19i a good one or are there better phones supporting all these features at lower cost?

Last edited by aargee : 18th July 2012 at 08:56.
Old 18th July 2012, 09:01   #10143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
- No Samsung or HTC please

Is my choice of phone on XPeria U or WT19i a good one or are there better phones supporting all these features at lower cost?
MOTOROLA Defy should satisfy all of the above I'm not too sure about the costing though. But its waterproof and built like a jeep
Old 18th July 2012, 09:35   #10144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Yes, GB was faster and more stable than the ICS on Galaxy Note.
There are ways to go back to GB. But, I would recommend to stick with ICS for now.
To fix the slow loading contacts, install exDialer app from playstore. It's simply the best dialer available. And yes, it has the Swipe to call and sms feature as well.

PS: I'm planning to upgrade to 4.0.4 ( Samsung official German ROM ) today. Will keep you all updated on the performance improvement.
Thanks dude. Will check out the app. Am waiting for the official release since I'm not an expert in this. I feel my phone tends to get hot fast (especially when using Waze) and contacts are bit slow to load. Hope the 4.0.4 version will be better.

Any such improvements in the newer version?

Last edited by naveen.raju : 18th July 2012 at 09:38.
Old 18th July 2012, 09:54   #10145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Xperia U does not support extended memory which is one of your criteria. I had been looking at all options in the 15-20K range and ultimately bought the Sony Xperia Sola yesterday. I haven't used it enough to recommend or not recommend it. But based on my analysis it is a good option if your budget can extend to around 19K
Old 18th July 2012, 09:56   #10146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Thanks dude. Will check out the app. Am waiting for the official release since I'm not an expert in this. I feel my phone tends to get hot fast (especially when using Waze) and contacts are bit slow to load. Hope the 4.0.4 version will be better.

Any such improvements in the newer version?
The slow loading contacts on ICS is Samsung's fault. Just change the Dialer and contacts app ( ex-Dialer ) to resolve it. With regards to the slowness in ICS, it will be completely solved in Jellybean ( Android 4.1 ). Read this thread to get more info on it - Getting To Know Android 4.1, Part 3: Project Butter - How It Works And What It Added

Regardless, 4.0.4 is surely better than 4.0.3
Old 18th July 2012, 10:00   #10147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
What's the specific difference with the Singapore variant ?

Also, after upgrading to 4.0.4 faced the battery drain issue. Rounded it on a google chrome bug. ( cpuspy and betterbatterystats helped me find out the root cause ). Applied the solution in xda-developers - View Single Post - Google Chrome - suspend_backoff kernel wakelock Hopefully, this should solve the issue. I'm going to sleep and test it again in another 6 hours.
It should have read "I used".....

I am sorry about that - was typing late at night without my glasses or contacts.

I am finding DXLR2 to be smoother and easier on he battery than either LPA or XXLRG. Also, my phone has stopped overheating (which was a real issue with the other two). Battery drain is also reduced.
Old 18th July 2012, 10:00   #10148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Has anybody here purchased the Xolo X 900 yet? I am keen to get a review on world's first Intel based android.
There are a bunch of reviews on FlipKart. My colleague has also bought it and its pretty happy with it. As per him, it is very fast and does most things well. But does not excel in a big way over competition in any particular department other than speed. The specs are comparable to phones closer to 30K
Old 18th July 2012, 10:12   #10149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp

It should have read "I used".....

I am sorry about that - was typing late at night without my glasses or contacts.

I am finding DXLR2 to be smoother and easier on he battery than either LPA or XXLRG. Also, my phone has stopped overheating (which was a real issue with the other two). Battery drain is also reduced.
The heating issue occurred because the phone never went into deep sleep mode. Can be solved by disabling the tilt feature in development options in google chrome.
Old 18th July 2012, 11:00   #10150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
MOTOROLA Defy should satisfy all of the above I'm not too sure about the costing though. But its waterproof and built like a jeep
Motorloava...hmmm...are they still in market? Aren't they outdated...
Sry...these are the questions that comes to my mind :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
if your budget can extend to around 19K
No saar; mobile & 15K itself is to me; I can spend 19K on Petrol, but on mobile...big NO. Buying an expensive mobile phone is like buying a house to me...expensive purchase

BTW, I stay very organized & this is how I intent to use - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2842631

What do you guys think? 4GB is very less on a smart phone? What do you guys think?
Old 18th July 2012, 11:12   #10151
BHPian

Yes Motorola is present and will be very strong contendor in Android Market as it is owned by Google now.

Look out for Moto Defy XT it is worth buy for you or wait for Xperia GO( I think it is available now) and Xperia Miro if you think 4GB is not enough as all these are coming with memory slot.
Old 18th July 2012, 11:15   #10152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

No saar; mobile & 15K itself is to me; I can spend 19K on Petrol, but on mobile...big NO. Buying an expensive mobile phone is like buying a house to me...expensive purchase

BTW, I stay very organized & this is how I intent to use - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2842631

What do you guys think? 4GB is very less on a smart phone? What do you guys think?
Based on the above post considering the fact that you are organised and keep cleaning unused stuff, I feel you should be good to go with the Xperia U. 4GB is sufficient to keep a good amount of data. I almost bought this, but then liked the slighly bigger screen the appearance of the Sola better. For me the max limit for smartphone is 20K .
Old 18th July 2012, 11:20   #10153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To fix the slow loading contacts, install exDialer app from playstore. It's simply the best dialer available. And yes, it has the Swipe to call and sms feature as well
The loading of contacts, sms or even gallary was one of the first thing i wanted to check in CM9. Amazed at the speed at which these open and you have few performance governers that you can play with to find the right balance.

I am trying another rom today called the liquid black based out of CM9 with TW kernel(coz some Samsung based aps are appearing). Going to check how the note behaves with this rom and kernal set.

SInce the size is 138MB i feel its not over bloated but has the required apps that we want additionally to CM9.

Only lacking feature is the Radio. FM does not work in CM9 nor there is a direct fix i was able to find.
Old 18th July 2012, 11:39   #10154
BHPian

Quote:
Motorloava...hmmm...are they still in market? Aren't they outdated...
Yes, they're still in the market and I think you can go for Defy XT if you're OK with inferior camera quality. Xperia devices gets better camera. Regarding 4GB storage, it solely depends on your kinda usage. If you're not one person who intend to store lot of songs, videos then its enough. Otherwise, you have to rethink is what I suggest.
Old 18th July 2012, 11:53   #10155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Revert to gb using odin. Do a factory reset and then flash the latest German 4.0.4. You need not root your phone for this. It should solve all issues.

Guys I had reverted to gb lc1 ROM after facing battery and wake lock issues with ics 4.0.3. Now I've flashed the German xxlrg and I'm super happy. Phone is fast, slick and has no battery or heating issues. There is a small lag sometimes but is negligible. I recommend you guys flash this.

Remember no wiping cache and data on ics as the stock kernel is suspected to have the brick bug.
Will doing a factory reset trigger the brick bug? I read documentation on XDA and got the general opinion that if I am on stock ICS already I should be really careful. I checked the risk level using the app on XDA and found that I do have it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks