Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 10:14   #18886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Any other alternatives to Mi3 in this range? I just can't deal with this 'register' 'sale' 'flipkart' drama!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Asus Zenfone 5 - 8/16 Gb
Asus Zenfone 6 - 16 GB

Except for Zenfone 6 which is in 17K, Zenfone 5 is in 13K range. Zenfone 6 is currently out of stock on Flipkart.
All variants of Zenfone's 5 and 6 are now out of stock. They had refreshed the stock on Monday morning. Looks like Zenfone's are also getting sold out pretty fast. But at least one has a day's time to buy.

There is an Asus Zenfone 5 Facebook page which provides updates on availability. FK does not seem to be sending a notification mail when it comes in stock.

On a side note, I had to return the Zenfone 5 I ordered for my sister as it seemed to be defective. Screen would just freeze when an incoming call came and there was no way to answer the call. FK refunded the money to the wallet since there was no stock to send a replacement piece. Now waiting for fresh stock.
Old 20th August 2014, 11:33   #18887
BHPian

It would be sort of review of MI3 on the move and you would feel that it is biased but that's fact.

Went to Wayanad for 3 days on last long weekend. Used MI3 as Media hub for music as well for GPS (with Google Maps on 2G) and calls. couple of things to notice

Display: Crisp and you can read from the distance of the mobile from mount on my Ritz bottom right windscreen corner, no problem. Glare is very less. and unless the sunlight is directly on it, there was not issue of readability of onscreen text/image.

Bluetooth: With in-built sound enhancer, the music is good with proper bass and treble. Call quality also as expected. Could not find any issue in syncing contacts with my Pioneer AVH stereo.

GPS: In high accuracy mode (using GLONASS with help of network I guess) it locks location within 5 seconds max. This happened every time I switched on navigation in those 3 days.

Battery: In one word impressive. As an example, from Bangalore - Mysore on A2DP, 1 hour of music, 15 min of call, 2G for an hour, check-in in Facebook. From Mysore to Sultan Bathery, Wayanad, it was Bluetooth (1hr of music on A2DP and 10min calls), GPS and 2G, couple of check-in in Facebook and took at least 20 photos. when we reached Sultan Bathery there was still 16% charge. As it was long weekend, there was heavy traffic, and total journey time from 5:45am till 2:00pm including all the breaks, the Bluetooth was on, and 2nd half the 2g and GPS was on. Also used as secondary camera at times.

Heat: continuous GPS make the phone to heat up. But it is within limit that you wont be alarmed. It cools down in minutes.

Camera: In proper light the image is detailed. Made use of HDR mode extensively, photo details reduce but can capture complex lighting situations. Attaching one sample. This is a 3 image stitched using Hugin, all three are taken in HDR mode. Bumped up the saturation a bit and that all. Isn't it impressive for a mobile photo?

Barometer sensor: this was just for fun, we used it to check the altitude in different view points. Not sure of any app which can use it and be useful in any way.

Overall a great tech companion for a drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-banasurasagardam_o.jpg  

Old 20th August 2014, 11:54   #18888
BHPian

Hi, Guys

I recently moved from Nokia C3 to MI3.

Getting hands on Andriod is a unique experience.

Now, I need your help guys.

Have used google play store to install "Angry Birds " games.

Now when I go to my contacts, I see all email ids from the gmail account in the phone.

Its troublesome. Believe by mistake I might have clicked something to access playstore.

Now, On MI3, How do I delete all email ids from contact list ?

I don't want them to be populated from my gmail account again in future.

Any help guys. Hate to see 1500 email ids on Phone.

Please help
Old 20th August 2014, 12:01   #18889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Hi, Guys

I recently moved from Nokia C3 to MI3.

Getting hands on Andriod is a unique experience.

Now, I need your help guys.

Have used google play store to install "Angry Birds " games.

Now when I go to my contacts, I see all email ids from the gmail account in the phone.

Its troublesome. Believe by mistake I might have clicked something to access playstore.

Now, On MI3, How do I delete all email ids from contact list ?

I don't want them to be populated from my gmail account again in future.

Any help guys. Hate to see 1500 email ids on Phone.

Please help
Welcome to Android.

The easier way is to limit the "visible contacts" - there is an option to "display only contacts with numbers" in the people app.

Now, here is the longer way.
We have all been through what you describe here. Following is what I suggest to all my friends and family when they jump to Android.

- Create a new gmail account - something like <primary account>_phone - just so it's easy to remember.

- Add this new account to your android phone

- Export contacts from your older phone and either load them up in the new phone or upload them to this new gmail account. To get them to your phone, simply sync it up.

- Sync your primary gmail using the email app - if you must!
Old 20th August 2014, 13:02   #18890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Just a rather basic step that i would try would be to try on a different computer or a different USB port as well. Or, have you tried these already? This would help narrow down the possibilities by a large margin.
Did try out different USB ports of my laptop - which didn't yield any result. Will try out in a different laptop though. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
+1.
I use greenify. Its the best of the lot.
http://lifehacker.com/greenify-the-a...roo-1500227178
Thanks! Installed Greenify as soon as I saw this msg. Over the past two days, I feel that the battery is not draining as quickly as it was. Will wait and watch. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I had the same problem and still do..... And there is an MTP helper utility somewhere - do a google seearch and might help.
Thank you. Will try the MTP helper thingy..

Guys,
Need one more info - I had got a Moto-G for my dad along with a flip cover. There is a niche feature in that wherein, when you open the flip, the backlight automatically turns on - useful when you open just to see the time, notifications etc.,
Recently I had put a flip cover on my Nexus-5. However, the backlight doesn't turn on in this and I have to press the power button everytime.

Is there any setting to enable this? TIA!

Last edited by callvvijay : 20th August 2014 at 13:04.
Old 20th August 2014, 13:43   #18891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
It would be sort of review of MI3 on the move and you would feel that it is biased but that's fact.
It's impressive. Obvious that you are pleased with it: that doesn't imply "bias".

Quote:
Barometer sensor: this was just for fun, we used it to check the altitude in different view points. Not sure of any app which can use it and be useful in any way.
Is there an app to display/record the barometric pressure? This would be a great aid in making one's own weather forecasts.

My wife needs a new phone. She is still against the idea of touch-screen phones, but the actual experience might change her mind --- and if she hated it I'd take it (whereas I cannot justify a simple change to a new phone after only two years just on gadget-desire basis).

If it was a case of just buying normally, I might very well do it, but the Xiomi/Flipkart drama thing is absolutely not for me.
Old 20th August 2014, 14:48   #18892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
- Sync your primary gmail using the email app - if you must!
Dry Ice,

Thanks a ton buddy. Good lesson learnt on it. Will work it out again.

Owe you one.
Old 20th August 2014, 18:41   #18893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is there an app to display/record the barometric pressure? This would be a great aid in making one's own weather forecasts.
There are many on the Playstore. I installed one called Pressurenet last week.
I am still trying to figure out the value of that sensor though.
Old 21st August 2014, 01:58   #18894
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a bit off topic, but in 1980-something I was sailing with a friend who was a bit of a techie wizkid, and came up with the idea of a transducer to measure barometric pressure. My response was, "Nahhh... the problem is completely solved by the mechanical devices." I blush. And I want a phone with one
Old 21st August 2014, 09:29   #18895
BHPian

Guys who are using Mi3, need a clarification on the Sim card to be used in this phone. As per the specs, it is mini sim. I know about a micro sim (used in Note 2) and nano sim (used in iPhones). What is this mini sim. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st August 2014, 09:49   #18896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys who are using Mi3, need a clarification on the Sim card to be used in this phone. As per the specs, it is mini sim. I know about a micro sim (used in Note 2) and nano sim (used in iPhones). What is this mini sim. Thanks in advance.
Mini Sim = Regular Sim.

Be careful when you insert your sim in the sim tray. It appeared delicate for me
Old 21st August 2014, 10:07   #18897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
Isn't it impressive for a mobile photo?
That is an awesome click. I am using the regular mode and not HDR. A noob in this dept. so need to read up and learn about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Hate to see 1500 email ids on Phone.
I believe your query has been answered but you can also go to contacts > settings > scroll down to "organize contacts" > merge duplicate contacts.

This feature works well but is not perfect. I have a few duplicate contacts which required manual intervention despite repeated attempts to merge the duplicate contacts.

I had synced contacts with google so had no issues with data transfer from the old device to the Mi3.

Quote:
A regular SIM card is what this phone will eat.
Old 21st August 2014, 10:40   #18898
BHPian

Quote:
Mini sim is nothing but the normal sim card. The one which were used before micro sims.
Old 21st August 2014, 11:51   #18899
Senior - BHPian

Phone for Better Half.

I want to gift a Phone to my Better Half on her Birthday 16th next month.
The requirements- (In no particular order)
1) 4" Screen
2) Support Hike and WA.
3) Good Internal Memory available for User
3) Expandable Memory (Allow Moving of Apps to SD Card will be added benefit)
4) Good Camera
5) Good Battery Backup
6) Good Reliablity and Build Quality
7) Budget 7-8K
8) No Samsungs, Sonys, etc (No offense towards respective users). i.e. No Bloatwares please.
9) RAM- I don't know whether 512MB RAM will suffice or 1GB RAM.

Is ASUS Zenfone 4 A400CG a good phone considering all above points?

Last edited by Zappo : 21st August 2014 at 12:37. Reason: Added content as requested by the OP...
Old 21st August 2014, 12:06   #18900
BHPian

Quote:
In addition to what others have stated, if your SIM either Micro or Nano, there is a adapter pack in most of neighbourhood mobile shops for Rs. 30. My wife already had a micro SIM with older phone, so we used this.

Just in case you might need the info.

Most Viewed