Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2018, 17:25   #27496
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Battery life isn't a top priority for me. As long as the phone lasts from morning to late evening, I'm okay. But big phones are a no-no.
Then you are in the same boat as I was. Stick with Pixel2/XL or S9/S9+.
Btw, using an Honor 10 and loving it.

Any help with my query, Zomato, Swiggy or any other food app? Any app which rates restaurants as well (I know I can check on big G).
Old 20th July 2018, 17:47   #27497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Any help with my query, Zomato, Swiggy or any other food app? Any app which rates restaurants as well (I know I can check on big G).

I regularly use Swiggy for ordering food while I use Zomato for checking restaurant ratings. However, off late I have found comparing Zomato and Google ratings better since Zomato ratings can be skewed in favour of big and known restaurants.
Old 21st July 2018, 00:01   #27498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, you helped me with finding the perfect phone the last time (I l-o-v-e my S6 Edge)! Please share some advice again.
I'd stick with the S9 unless you want to move to different brand. You clearly don't want the Pixel 2.

Just a tip: With smaller bezels, phones with bigger screens are manageable. Try the S9+ before not considering it.
Old 21st July 2018, 08:57   #27499
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Then you are in the same boat as I was. Stick with Pixel2/XL or S9/S9+.
Thanks!

Quote:
I use Zomato, Swiggy & Scootsy - all three for ordering. Choice is made based on restaurant availability & delivery time.

But for ratings & reviews alone, nothing beats Zomato. They are awesome. Has never let me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Just a tip: With smaller bezels, phones with bigger screens are manageable. Try the S9+ before not considering it.
Thanks! Will do.
Old 22nd July 2018, 09:13   #27500
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Went and checked out some phones yesterday. Liked the S9 the most as I found the S9+ too big (and it'll be even bigger with a case).

Vijay Sales was saying that the S10 will be in India within 2 - 3 months. True? If so, then I'd rather wait.

My S6 Edge is only worth 5k according to them. I think I'll keep it as a failover option.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2018 at 09:14.
Old 22nd July 2018, 10:52   #27501
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Vijay Sales was saying that the S10 will be in India within 2 - 3 months. True? If so, then I'd rather wait.
Don't think Samsung Galaxy S10 will be released before Feb 2019.
The Galaxy S series phones are usually launched in Q1(Feb) and the Note series in Q3 (Aug).
The next one inline for release is the Note 9.
Old 22nd July 2018, 14:11   #27502
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Went and checked out some phones yesterday. Liked the S9 the most as I found the S9+ too big (and it'll be even bigger with a case).
Two websites I trust when it comes to smartphone reviews -

NDTV Gadgets:
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/rev...review-1824169
GSMArena.com:
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...eview-1734.php

Check the reviews of all other contenders. By the way, there is no point in giving weightage to "looks" of a smartphone. Pretty much all smartphones look the same after you put a case on.

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd July 2018 at 14:13.
Old 22nd July 2018, 14:30   #27503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That should be the Note 9, and no need to wait for that as the S9+ itself is big for you; go with the S9 then
Old 23rd July 2018, 00:06   #27504
Senior - BHPian

Who has bought Realme 1 . I bought one for wife, but feedback coming from her is not good. As per her the screen touch is not very good and is not very responsive compared to my galaxy On max. But whatever i have used, i found it reasonably quick. The Realme 1 would take time to get used to as it has no physical or on screen buttons to control. All it has is gesture control for going back, going Home or to see recent apps. Would like fellow users opinion.
Old 23rd July 2018, 08:57   #27505
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys! In that case, I'll go ahead with the S9 itself. Appreciate all the advice . See you back on this thread in 3 years .
Old 23rd July 2018, 10:20   #27506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Who has bought Realme 1 . I bought one for wife, but feedback coming from her is not good.
That doesn't sound too good. Not sure why. Specs are right up there with the best in the segment. In fact Realme1 and Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 look better than the Redmi Note 5 Pro on paper. Redmi Note 5 / Pro is no longer that value for money phone that the Redmi Note 4 was.
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:16   #27507
BANNED

Quote:

My S6 Edge is only worth 5k according to them. I think I'll keep it as a failover option.
Use the exchange offer from Samsung India website. You'll get an extra discount with exchange.
Old 24th July 2018, 09:36   #27508
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Use the exchange offer from Samsung India website. You'll get an extra discount with exchange.
Thanks, but I'm keeping my old S6 as a failover option.
Old 24th July 2018, 16:22   #27509
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
But prices look usurious.

The S8+ 128 MB Version is 64K. The 64 MB version on Amazon is 30k.

In fact, was about to buy S8+ 6 + 64 MB on Amazon, when I realised it does not have (a) NFC (b) uses hybrid slot for memory.

Without a dedicated slot, would have been happier if prices were in 22k range. I need dual SIM and extra memory. Also need compass for Gps. Can't do without it.

What is the feedback on this model?

So what are the alternatives??
Old 24th July 2018, 16:40   #27510
BHPian

Quote:
Battery life isn't a top priority for me. As long as the phone lasts from morning to late evening, I'm okay. But big phones are a no-no.
For me choosing a small phone was a humongous task. I have small fingers for a man of my size and anything wider than 70mm or heavier than 160g gives me aches all around the wrist. Committed a blunder by buying the Redmi Note 5 Pro thinking I will always use it with two hands. But still it pains a lot.

When I started narrowing down my choices to under 5 inch androids, I found that all of them were low budget and poverty spec phones. I almost settled down on a poverty spec phone which will be my daily driver for WhatsApp, Instagram and other social media whereas I have an iPhone SE for calls and mails.

Fortunately, before I could take the plunge, I stumbled upon the (not available in India) phone, the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact. It is almost going to be a year since its launch in a few months, but it had good specifications like the SD835 processor, a width of under 65mm, a weight of just 140g, a good battery life (with stamina mode) and my decision was sealed. In spite of it having a 720p screen.

If anyone else is in the same boat as mine looking for a decent spec "small" Android, I would highly recommend this phone. Only you need to find someone to hand carry it for you from the US/UK or even Singapore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks