Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 20:05   #391
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Right, infact this was one of the reasons (rumoured) for the new fiesta to come with the 1.5, 90 bhp engine compared to the 1.6 TDCI which was widely speculated earlier.

Though OT for this thread, it would be terrific if ford decides to launch the fiesta hatch also in our market. While the fiesta sedan is a hit or miss as far as the looks go, I havent come across anyone who has said the same about the hatch. I think they are vary of the price points, but then the current swift and i20 are run-away sucess in the segment at similar price points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Just for the sake of clarification, the government levies excise duty of 10% on cars with length under 4 metres & engine size upto 1.2 litres (for petrol) & 1.5 litres (for diesel). Anything which does not fall under this bracket attracts an excise duty of 22%

So it is obvious Ford will try to avail this benefit & price the car competetively even for the 1.5 litre diesel) variant of the Ecosport.
Old 8th February 2012, 20:26   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmay22 View Post
Have a read through this to know more about 1.0L drivability

Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec review - Autocar.co.uk
Thanks a lot Chinmay for sharing the link. I know that Ford Focus is a widely accepted car in the UK & it would be apt for Ford to plonk the 1.0L Ecoboost in the Focus in UK.

Have gone through the above article & reproducing below some facts (conversion from BS to IS units in brackets)

Top speed: 120mph (193kmph);
0-62mph (0-100kmph): 11.3sec;
Economy: 56.5mpg combined (24.02kmpl);
CO2: 114g/km;
Kerb weight: 1240kg (est);
Engine: 3 cyls in line, 999cc, turbo, petrol; Installation: Front, transverse, FWD;
Power: 123bhp at 6000rpm;
Torque: 125lb ft (170Nm), 148lb ft (200.7Nm) on overboost at 1500-4500rpm;
Gearbox: 6-spd manual;
Fuel tank: 55 litres;
Boot: 316/1101 litres;
Wheels: 7Jx16in;
Tyres: 215/55 R16.

What amazed me the most is the below line in the article, "You barely hear the thing start, and it idles so smoothly you'd swear it had stalled". Now this should rest all the doubts @ a 3 pot engine. The clatter of a 3-pot mill would obviously won't be there in this engine. This is going to be a very powerful yet frugal motor. Hope we get the above specs (engine & transmission) in the Indian Ecosport.

All looks very promising. Now Ford, only don't mess with the price. Take the under-4 metre excise benefit & pass on that to the customer. The sheer potential of this car to generate decent volumes would make you laugh all the way to your bank.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 8th February 2012 at 20:29.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 20:43   #393
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian

What amazed me the most is the below line in the article, "You barely hear the thing start, and it idles so smoothly you'd swear it had stalled". Now this should rest all the doubts @ a 3 pot engine. The clatter of a 3-pot mill would obviously won't be there in this engine. This is going to be a very powerful yet frugal motor. Hope we get the above specs (engine & transmission) in the Indian Ecosport.
We will get the engine in the same tune ie. 120+ BHP and 170 Nm of torque plus 200 Nm of torque on overboost. This is my promise to you.
Mustang.101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 20:58   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
We will get the engine in the same tune ie. 120+ BHP and 170 Nm of torque plus 200 Nm of torque on overboost. This is my promise to you.
Thanks Mustang. No doubt you are a gentleman & I sincerely hope this is a gentleman's promise

I think this engine has the potential of turning the tide away from diesel motors to gasoline ones in the near future. Ford must take enough care to make this engine compatible to the gas quality available here in India & there should be no long term reliability issues (given the fact that this motor has a turbo running @ 2.5 lac rpm)

Last edited by AutoIndian : 8th February 2012 at 21:02.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:05   #395
BHPian

The delay in declaring the price makes it difficult to decide whether to wait for the car. I am looking for a replacement for my five year old Fusion.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:09   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmay22 View Post
"This engine arrives first in the Focus because its high-tech gadgetry (variable valve timing, miniature turbo, advanced electronics, direct fuel injection system) would make it expensive for the Fiesta."

Expensive for the Fiesta? This is a bit worrying. Already Fiesta is overpriced. Even if price cut on Fiesta happens, it would mean that EcoSport will cost more than 10 lac? Doesn't sound too good.
Old 9th February 2012, 10:24   #397
BHPian

Read the Autocar UK review for the 1.0 Ecoboost-ed Focus. Thanks for posting that, Chinmay. Add Mustang's promise that the specs will stay the same when this engine gets here. Now I'm even more excited!
I'm guessing that the Ecosport would weigh close to the Focus (1240 kgs), hence the performance figures will be similar. This engine truly seems incredible.

Yes, the line that says "too expensive for the Fiesta" is a bit worrying, but since this engine will be produced here, it should help keep the cost down.
Also, in the UK, the Fiesta is an econo-hatch, while here it is a midsize luxury saloon.

I hope that economies of scale and a better sense will help get this motor under the Fiesta's hood. That will make it the complete driver's delight it should have always been and more efficient as well.
Old 9th February 2012, 13:03   #398
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79
Read the Autocar UK review for the 1.0 Ecoboost-ed Focus. Thanks for posting that, Chinmay. Add Mustang's promise that the specs will stay the same when this engine gets here. Now I'm even more excited!
I'm guessing that the Ecosport would weigh close to the Focus (1240 kgs), hence the performance figures will be similar. This engine truly seems incredible.

Yes, the line that says "too expensive for the Fiesta" is a bit worrying, but since this engine will be produced here, it should help keep the cost down.
Also, in the UK, the Fiesta is an econo-hatch, while here it is a midsize luxury saloon.

I hope that economies of scale and a better sense will help get this motor under the Fiesta's hood. That will make it the complete driver's delight it should have always been and more efficient as well.
Hi just to clarify

"the more expensive for fiesta" is the part the magazine got wrong. I think it seems a logical assumption and hence the magazine wrote it but it is incorrect.

The real reason is that fiesta 1.6 sales in the uk are only 5-10% of total fiesta sales whereas the focus 1.6 sales are 20-25% of total focus sales. Thus the engine is first being introduced in focus as this ecoboost is a direct substitute of a naturally aspirated 1.6 duratec.
Old 9th February 2012, 13:10   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The real reason is that fiesta 1.6 sales in the uk are only 5-10% of total fiesta sales whereas the focus 1.6 sales are 20-25% of total focus sales. Thus the engine is first being introduced in focus as this ecoboost is a direct substitute of a naturally aspirated 1.6 duratec.
Even I had the same feeling. When I was in UK in 2008, I could see many Focuses on the road, but hardly any Fiesta. Ford would definitely want to plonk the Ecoboost in the flagship model, which in this case is the Focus.
Old 9th February 2012, 14:32   #400
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian

Even I had the same feeling. When I was in UK in 2008, I could see many Focuses on the road, but hardly any Fiesta. Ford would definitely want to plonk the Ecoboost in the flagship model, which in this case is the Focus.
Actually in the UK the fiesta sells much more than the focus. In fact the fiesta is the no.1 selling car in UK but the 1.6 does not sell that well, the diesels and the 1.2 petrol sells more.

However the fastest selling petrol engine in the focus is the 1.6 and hence ecoboost was launched 1st in the focus.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:07   #401
BHPian

No matter when FM plans to launch the Ecosport in India, it should decide on a FIRM date, when production has already commenced.

Bookings should only be accepted once delivery dates can be committed.

As in the case of the Fiesta launch, the announcement in March, then the FB launch happened much before the company was ready to deliver the vehicles.

In the meantime, dealers joyfully collected booking advances, without commiting any dates for delivery.

Mustang.101, any insights please into restoring a 1st generation petrol Ikon? Can anyone at FM dealerships in Delhi help within a pre-decided budget? I know this is OT, but the car gathering dust and I cannot bear to part with it.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:25   #402
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta

Mustang.101, any insights please into restoring a 1st generation petrol Ikon? Can anyone at FM dealerships in Delhi help within a pre-decided budget? I know this is OT, but the car gathering dust and I cannot bear to part with it.
I have dropped a mail on your team-bhp inbox. Do check it out.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:00   #403
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I don't quite agree that here it is a mid size luxury saloon. It is merely a decent family saloon with some good features. Unfortunately the pricing puts it in a slot above the family saloon slot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79
Old 9th February 2012, 20:03   #404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually in the UK the fiesta sells much more than the focus. In fact the fiesta is the no.1 selling car in UK ...
it may be hard to recognise for t-bhpers: it is, and always has been, a hatchback
Old 9th February 2012, 20:07   #405
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
it may be hard to recognise for t-bhpers: it is, and always has been, a hatchback
Yes its the fiesta hatch in UK, sorry i forgot to mention it in my previous post. Glad you clarified.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks