Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:27   #511
BHPian

Looks like a huge radio controlled toy car my kid plays with. Need to get used to the looks. I am wondering if it will be priced less than 10 L. What is the incentive if its not less than 4 M to be less than 10 L. I am not sure which segment it belongs to now.
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:30   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

In the pic, the car is all dressed up for a frontal impact crash test. Note the markings on the front half of the car, including the ruler-like scale to help visualize how the crumple zone behaves.

If you look at the channel on the ground - thats a pulley system that will send the car hurling down towards the crash-object at an exact speed.

The fact that its being crash tested means that this is pretty much exactly what the car will look like. (Unless ofcourse this is some internal crash test - unlikely/expensive). Design changes after this point would mean that the car will have to be crash tested once again, and given the projected launch dates, that would be fairly unlikely.

cya
R
Yes, exactly what I was thinking! Incidentally the third pic also has damage to the left front bumper and seems to be after the impact test! The left front side is damaged, and the damage appears to be limited to the bumper and has not affected the side panel. Speaks well of the build quality! But unless we know the exact speed and position of the impact test, it would be early to comment. It does seem that Ford is aiming for a 5 star NCAP rating for the Ecosport.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:35   #513
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

Just what I thought and wanted to post, excellent observation Rehaan. With the test vehicles spotted in chennai too, I'm fairly certain this is how the final design is going to look like. From what we saw in the concept, the headlights are not the LED one's and may be a different tyre specs , but what other changes? I couldn't spot many at the outset.
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:41   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
In the pic, the car is dressed up for a frontal impact crash test. Note the markings on the front half of the car, including the ruler-like marking to help visualize how the crumple zones behave.

If you look at the channel on the ground - thats a pulley system that will send the car hurling down towards the crash-object at an exact speed.
Thanks for that clarification Rehaan. I was wondering what all those markings were for, didn't have a clue if this was a crash test vehicle. I can now visualize the ruler like markings on the sides to measure the crumple zones, but at numerous joints (bonnet, doors etc) one can see those BMW logo like stickers, any idea what could be these for? Are these some kind of sensors?
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:57   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
...The left front side is damaged, and the damage appears to be limited to the bumper and has not affected the side panel.
Thats because it was probably a frontal-offset crash test. The front right of the car is most probably smashed.

Name:  euro-ncap-frontal-crash-test.bmp
Views: 5228
Size:  80.1 KB
image source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
...Speaks well of the build quality!
Don't judge a car's safety or build quality based on how much visual damage there is after an accident. Its not a correct measure by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
... one can see those BMW logo like stickers, any idea what could be these for? Are these some kind of sensors?
Those are visual markers - useful to tell the position of each panel & its movement when the crash video is viewed on the high speed cameras and other data-collection equipment. If it was just a regular flat-coloured panel, it would be hard/impossible to track changes in position.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2012 at 20:50.
Rehaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 00:15   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I don't think this is final production model. Look at the Boot, there is no handle for opening. I feel this door will not open upwards. So for opening towards side we should have a handle.
Not a much Surprising thing.
As even Ford Figo ZXi & Titanium variant in India comes without External Boot lock, as visible in the pic attached below:
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ford_figo_14.jpg
(Pic taken from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...-pictures.html

Only option to open the bootlid/tailgate is Key-Remote or Internal latch release button. So, I'd expect the same technology to be Incorporated in this latest EcoSport.

Its 100% a production ready version with Practical elements like Door Handles, Multi-reflector Head & Tail-lamps, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This is a "One Ford" product, which means, the same package will be offered across the globe! So I don't think there will be any changes as such for India from a dimensional point of view.
A Minor Bumper trimming can be done atleast, to take the Cost/Tax advantage i.e 12% as against 24%.
Ford have even done the same on Fusion-II in India, when they realised the 'Small Car' slab & introduced TDCi engine into it.

Last edited by CRtorquefan : 24th March 2012 at 00:17. Reason: Text editing
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 19:11   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
In the pic, the car is dressed up for a frontal impact crash test. Note the markings on the front half of the car, including the ruler-like marking to help visualize how the crumple zones behave.
Definetely its being crash tested, note the stickers which have been struck on the car the black and yellow ones which is the trademark of the NCAP facility. So the launch should be close or very close. Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2012 at 11:12. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 24th March 2012, 19:29   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan

As even Ford Figo ZXi & Titanium variant in India comes without External Boot lock, as visible in the pic attached below:

(Pic taken from http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...-pictures.html

Only option to open the bootlid/tailgate is Key-Remote or Internal latch release button. So, I'd expect the same technology to be Incorporated in this latest EcoSport.

Its 100% a production ready version with Practical elements like Door Handles, Multi-reflector Head & Tail-lamps, etc.

A Minor Bumper trimming can be done atleast, to take the Cost/Tax advantage i.e 12% as against 24%.
Ford have even done the same on Fusion-II in India, when they realised the 'Small Car' slab & introduced TDCi engine into it.
The tailgate of the Ecosport would be side opening, as there are virtually no stock cars which have a tail mounted spare and open vertically up, due to the high weight of the wheel. It would cause very quick failure of the gas lifters and eventually may cause the tailgate to fall on someone's head leading to potentially millions of dollars of lawsuits !
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 19:04   #519
BHPian

Ford has started testing EcoSport in India, got this pic from FB

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecopsrt.jpg
crazybiker46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 20:00   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Ford has started testing EcoSport in India, got this pic from FB

Attachment 907483

Thats got to be a Titanium Model. Nice Alloys, the same as what was seen on the Brazil car. I just cant wait for this car
Im going to say it again, Blockbuster in the making !
Old 26th March 2012, 20:16   #521
BHPian

Guys since the test mules are already out, when can we expect the car to be launched?? What was the trend with the figo and new fiesta?? How long after the first test vehicles were spotted were the cars launched??

The original rumor was that the ecosport was going to be launched somewhere during Diwali, seeing the test mules now, hoping its going to be around July -august!!... I gotta lay off on those chips!!
Old 26th March 2012, 21:58   #522
BHPian

Came across these pics here posted much earlier (Mar 24 to be exact)
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosporttestinginchennai1.jpg  

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosporttestingchennai.jpg  

Last edited by designersf : 26th March 2012 at 21:59.
Old 26th March 2012, 22:15   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
..How long after the first test vehicles were spotted were the cars launched?? The original rumor was that the ecosport was going to be launched somewhere during Diwali, seeing the test mules now, hoping its going to be around July -august!!...
I would keep 6 months at least as a buffer! Initial report was that this car will NOT be launched here in 2012. But since we have the test mules doing the rounds, I would look at a Diwali launch, nothing before that.
Old 26th March 2012, 22:16   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post

Only option to open the bootlid/tailgate is Key-Remote or Internal latch release button.
So's the case with my Fiesta. Earlier models had a key slot on the boot though.
Old 26th March 2012, 22:43   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly I am still unsure whether I like the looks or not. One part of me likes the radical looks but the other part has already labelled it a Tonka truck with its enormous grill, height vs width ratio and skinny tyres. :-)

But in India, type of fuel (read NOT petrol), mileage and pricing is king! While I am confident Ford will manage the mileage angle with the 1.0 EcoBoost, I am unsure of the Indian car buyers liking for a petrol-powered SUV as well as Ford's laughably disastrous pricing strategy with the Fiesta.

Further, they will need to closely follow VW India's experience with the Jetta 1.4 TSi and how they handle the 'more cc is better' funda that we have.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks