Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 21:17   #406
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

I was just wandering if Ford will offer the ecoboost engine option on the new fiesta sedan??? If the ecosport is to be priced around 7 to 10 lakhs then can we expect the 1 liter eco boost in the new fiesta ?? The current 1.5 is not performance oriented but the 1 liter ecoboost with 170Nm of torque will surely be welcome!

Also Whats the future of the 1.5 petrol engine?? will ford plonk it in the fiesta hatch(if it ever comes) or will it be used instead of the current 1.6 mil in the classic?? I dont think its cost effective to build the engine for just one model,that too which sells very less!!
Old 9th February 2012, 21:49   #407
Team-BHP Support

Not discounting the merits of the Ecoboost 1.0, and I am not trying to be negative here. I really feel the discussion here (about the Ecoboost) is more because of the novelty factor. When it comes to actual sales, it could be the TDCi which may do all the talking – that too if priced right.
Old 9th February 2012, 21:54   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not discounting the merits of the Ecoboost 1.0, and I am not trying to be negative here. I really feel the discussion here (about the Ecoboost) is more because of the novelty factor. When it comes to actual sales, it could be the TDCi which may do all the talking – that too if priced right.
By the time the EcoSport makes it way to India you don't know what the Indian govt. will have in store for car buyers. We may end up paying a hefty premium for diesel in taxes or some way to charge more on diesel fuel.

The Ecoboost engine will offer diesel car like FE in a petrol engine with good power. Right now the diesel sells cause the engine is more efficient than petrol, costs only 1 lakh more over petrol and diesel costs Rs.30 lesser than petrol.

Imagine if both diesel and petrol give around 15-16kmpl in city easily, the diesel model costs 2lakhs more. The economics will then be in favour of petrol once again. That's what will decide the fate of the Ecoboost engine.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 22:04   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Imagine if both diesel and petrol give around 15-16kmpl in city easily, the diesel model costs 2lakhs more. The economics will then be in favour of petrol once again. That's what will decide the fate of the Ecoboost engine.
+1 to your views. Most of us are keen to see how things unfold in the new budget.

I'm sure people would prefer petrols to diesels if the F.E. is the same.
Old 9th February 2012, 22:30   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Ecoboost engine will offer diesel car like FE in a petrol engine with good power. Right now the diesel sells cause the engine is more efficient than petrol, costs only 1 lakh more over petrol and diesel costs Rs.30 lesser than petrol.

I don't think that this will change the balance in favour of petrol completely.
May be from 20:80 now to 40:60 , but still diesel would sell more.
Remember , diesel will still be a lot cheaper than petrol and people who have high running will always choose a lower refill amount at the petrol bunk and would to some extent would not mind paying the premium again.
But yes, for people like me with 8-10K kms running, I would go for the petrol but only if the taxes on diesel cars are hiked further.
Old 10th February 2012, 00:01   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I would go for the petrol but only if the taxes on diesel cars are hiked further.
Well said. I too see it the same way. Whenever I go to the fuel station, it feels bad to pay 20Rs more for Petrol eventhough the petrol car might be less expensive initially. Its the human cycology (Atleast in my case). I am fine to pay 80 k premium initially and feel happy everytime I go to the fuel station. Its like - the pain is only once.. But in a petrol car, the pain comes everytime I fuel!
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 07:19   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
By the time the EcoSport makes it way to India you don't know what the Indian govt. will have in store for car buyers. We may end up paying a hefty premium for diesel in taxes or some way to charge more on diesel fuel.

It will be good if the petrol motors get a second life with the said measures. At least that will make the manufacturers to open up to the idea of bringing in modern petrol engines to our market. For e.g.; VAG bringing in the 1.2/1.4TSI instead of running the show with the old 1.6.

The FE figures published by Autocar UK in the road test of the Focus ecoboost is quite impressive (combined figure of 56.5 mpg which I guess roughly translate to 20kmpl).
Old 10th February 2012, 09:49   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I don't quite agree that here it is a mid size luxury saloon. It is merely a decent family saloon with some good features. Unfortunately the pricing puts it in a slot above the family saloon slot!
My point was that the Fiesta is more aspirational here in India than in the UK. And yes, it is selling at already inflated prices. If the Ecosport is going to be slotted below the Fiesta, then it would be odd if the Fiesta was powered by an engine which is less powerful and economical than the Ecosport.

Meanwhile, I found another drive of the 1.0 litre Ecoboost Focus. Should be close to how the Ecosport will drive as well.
Ford Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost review | Auto Express
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 13:59   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My point was that the Fiesta is more aspirational here in India than in the UK.
There is nothing "aspirational" about a Fiesta in UK!
Old 10th February 2012, 14:20   #415
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
0-62mph (0-100kmph): 11.3sec;
Economy: 56.5mpg combined (24.02kmpl);
These two numbers are amazing. While the sprint number can put many sedans to shame, the 24kmpl number is outrageous.

Wow, keenly awaiting to see and TD the car in flesh.
Old 10th February 2012, 15:53   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is nothing "aspirational" about a Fiesta in UK!
Unless you are a 17 year old chav dreaming about an XR2i?

This is rapidly becoming a discussion about the new Ecoboost engine, from an EcoSport discussion. I guess we are all more excited about the Ecosport because of the new engine?

If Ford were to bring this new engine to India ASAP, it would steal a march over Fiat - who probably have no plans of introducing their Multi-Air engines in India? AFAIK, the FIAT Multi-Air engine debuted a year or so earlier than the Ford 1.0 Ecoboost.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 10th February 2012 at 15:53. Reason: Punctuation
Old 10th February 2012, 16:11   #417
Senior - BHPian

The indications from Ford to suppliers is that the EcoSport could be launching as early as Diwali this year .

I for sure am keeping my fingers crossed that they stick to this timeline.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:16   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
My point was that the Fiesta is more aspirational here in India than in the UK.
Fiesta is not an aspirational here in India. Old fiesta is pretty popular in Taxi segmant.
If they get pricing wrong EcoSport will follow its brother (new Fiesta)
Old 10th February 2012, 16:21   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
These two numbers are amazing. While the sprint number can put many sedans to shame, the 24kmpl number is outrageous.

Wow, keenly awaiting to see and TD the car in flesh.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if the 56.6 miles/gallon figure is from a UK publication, the FE in Kmpl will be 20.

I guess the 24 Kmpl figure was incorrectly arrived at by considering the US gallon which is ~ 3.7 litres instead of using the British gallon which is 4.546 litres.
Sergei is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 16:26   #420
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but if the 56.6 miles/gallon figure is from a UK publication, the FE in Kmpl will be 20.

I guess the 24 Kmpl figure was incorrectly arrived at by considering the US gallon which is ~ 3.7 litres instead of using the British gallon which is 4.546 litres.
Thanks for the conversion. My "bubble" is still intact. The number continues to stay outrageous. In India it will probably come down to 13-17 or so. Which will still put many sedans and hatches to shame.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks