Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 12:15   #961

Re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Have they introduced A/C vents for third row seat ? I have not seen the vehicle. If those are not added I don't see any point in upgrading my current Scorpio 2008 model.
Old 29th September 2014, 14:40   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_mukherji View Post
Have they introduced A/C vents for third row seat ? I have not seen the vehicle. If those are not added I don't see any point in upgrading my current Scorpio 2008 model.
The AC vents remain in the same old place with a blower, nothing to cool the 3rd row except long drives and full blast AC, freezing the ankles of the 2nd row passengers in the bargain.

No attempt has been made to bring the Scorpio in line with the comfort of the XUV, it is still the old, butch truck with bells and whistles.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:12   #963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
The AC vents remain in the same old place with a blower, nothing to cool the 3rd row except long drives and full blast AC, freezing the ankles of the 2nd row passengers in the bargain.
m_upreti - the 2nd row floor mounted vents will ever reach the 3rd row. rather its better to use the front middle vents pointed a bit upwards to push some air to the 3rd row. while in an ideal situation roof mounted vents for all 3 rows helps, I think this is a manageable omission ( I have survived in Chennai heat without this feature in my Storme ) purely by planning where I park the car, running the car with a/c for sometime before the 3rd row occupants come in etc
Old 29th September 2014, 15:35   #964
Senior - BHPian

2 cents from my side:

I quite liked the car but not the 2 things mainly.

1 Interior space is same & no third front facing row. That's a big downer for me. Its high time that it should have front facing seats. I guess they haven't launched any version with that, correct me if wrong. Overall space inside is ok but not great.

2 Tail lights used could have been better. It has some really rowdy looks, looks quite ugly to me. They could have made it sober. Even simple tail lamps would have looked much better.

Front looks quite attractive now. Little aggressive i must say. Looking cool in white color. Interiors is way to upmarket. Good step by M&M. Lets see how market reacts.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:49   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Thanks for these. Any clicks of the key-fob for the 2 variants? Assuming it may be similar to the XUV for the S10?
Unfortunately could not take the pics of the key fobs.
Both display vehicles were kept without the key.
The driver came in just once to adjust the position of the vehicles and left with the keys pocketed again.
Old 29th September 2014, 16:00   #966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
m_upreti - the 2nd row floor mounted vents will ever reach the 3rd row. rather its better to use the front middle vents pointed a bit upwards to push some air to the 3rd row. while in an ideal situation roof mounted vents for all 3 rows helps, I think this is a manageable omission ( I have survived in Chennai heat without this feature in my Storme ) purely by planning where I park the car, running the car with a/c for sometime before the 3rd row occupants come in etc
I agree with you, however there is always a fight for the seats if the 3rd row is required to be used in my Scorpio. A roof mounted AC / Blower would have been a blessing, and surprisingly M&M offers the blower as an accessory.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-1.jpg  

Old 29th September 2014, 16:22   #967
BHPian

At 14.75 lakhs for S10 in Bangalore, I find the SUV to be highly priced.
In fact, it is more than a lakh costlier than the outgoing model. At 14.75 lakh, I started to wonder if W4 or W6 makes more sense. It does!

Imagine AT would be 16 lakhs OTR in Bangalore and AT+4*4 would be 17 plus lakhs in Bangalore. Prices are over the roof. Hence I have decided to pick up a used Scorpio VLX AT.

At 14.75 lakhs, the rear seats are a big let down; they are almost like a flat bench. Cannot hold candle to XUV seat comfort. I would have expected nice contours and support like XUV; maybe leather seats too for S10.

Having said the above, the front looks is stunning. Especially, the black and red look smoking hot. Rear looks have to be swallowed with fistful of salt
Things are great from the bonnet till the 1st row of seats. From middle row to the rear wall, its anti climax.
anandkumargb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 16:34   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
In fact, it is more than a lakh costlier than the outgoing model. At 14.75 lakh, I started to wonder if W4 or W6 makes more sense. It does!

Imagine AT would be 16 lakhs OTR in Bangalore and AT+4*4 would be 17 plus lakhs in Bangalore. Prices are over the roof. Hence I have decided to pick up a used Scorpio VLX AT.

At 14.75 lakhs, the rear seats are a big let down; they are almost like a flat bench. Cannot hold candle to XUV seat comfort. I would have expected nice contours and support like XUV; maybe leather seats too for S10.

Having said the above, the front looks is stunning. Especially, the black and red look smoking hot. Rear looks have to be swallowed with fistful of salt
Things are great from the bonnet till the 1st row of seats. From middle row to the rear wall, its anti climax.

Anand ,

Imagine what will be the price of Scorpio 4X 4 AT and 4x4 AT of XUV ( When launched ) ?

On a lighter note today , we pay a no frills innova at 18lakhs + for just airbags and ABS on the high end version . Its time we have to digest and pay higher prices for M & M vehicles ( Make in india ?? !!! )
Ranga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 18:49   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No attempt has been made to bring the Scorpio in line with the comfort of the XUV, it is still the old, butch truck with bells and whistles.
Very correct. No third row a/c blower facility. [2nd row has 2 vents]. The front a/c vent is placed high on the dashboard, perhaps for the purpose of throwing cool air upto and beyond the middle row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
2 cents from my side:

I quite liked the car but not the 2 things mainly.

1 Interior space is same & no third front facing row. That's a big downer for me. Its high time that it should have front facing seats. I guess they haven't launched any version with that, correct me if wrong. Overall space inside is ok but not great.
There is front facing third row on 2 variants. One in 7 seater format (with captain seats in middle row) and one in the regular avataar, middle row also front facing (8 seater).

Quote:

14.75 is for the S10 with 2wd. S10 with 4wd is 16.14L. At these prices, they are way too costly for what it offers (imo).

Went and had a TD with my friends. One friend drove while I was seated in the 2nd bench row. I'm no SUV driver, so keeping that in view, here are my limited observations (compared to earlier gen Scorpio I've traveled in before, frequently).

a. Handling much more taut now. Body roll is much better, much controlled when shifting lanes at <80kmph. Woozy boat effect feeling is not there AT THESE SPEEDS ( we didn't get an opportunity to go beyond ~80 kph).
b. Middle bench row is amazing. Yes it's flat but 2 heavily built people plus 1 average sized adult can sit without having their love handles rub each other.
c. Under thigh support is brilliant in middle row bench seat. (but as my friend pointed, this could be disturbing for short people. Their feet may not touch the floor).
d. The nose dive & resultant swaying is still a little annoying on sudden/sharp braking (even on not so sudden braking). Just like the old Scorpio. Maybe this cannot be done away with, for a vehicle in this category?
e. Every time my friend took his foot off the accelerator to change the gear, the engine rpm rises. I don't know if this is regular behavior but my friend who has a Scorpio in his immediate family, confirms it shouldn't be the case.
f. I was only keen on the captain seats variant. New Scorpio with captains seats haven't reached showrooms yet. I was shown an older gen one, which had very little space for 3rd row. (literally nothing). Maybe 1 medium sized adult can sit in the 3rd row, making ideal placement behind the 2 captain seats.
g. Dashboard seems nice, audio wasn't tested extensively but seemed ok (can certainly be upgraded). Touch screen response was good (UI looked similar to XUV's).
h. Engine at below 2500rpm was not noisy at all and was appearing refined. Insulation of engine cabin is perhaps, good.
i. None of the available door pockets can be reached when the door is closed. Ditto for seat recline adjustments throughout the car and height adjustment lever for the driver. All adjustments need to be done when the doors are open. (really, else your hand should be of the size of a few pencils put together).

I don't know what more to say, I don't possibly have anymore to say. As I said I'm not an SUV guy, so take these as you please (won't that be the case anyway? ) Unfortunately way too overprized for me to afford the top end S10 (with or without 4WD).

Price list of Dealer Sireesh Auto in B'lore. (zoom in and you can see the details).
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-mahindra-scorpoi-2014-price-list-sep-2014.jpg

Last edited by k_ajay : 29th September 2014 at 19:07.
k_ajay is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 15:06   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Don't tell me about this man. What a royal pain. In my case the jackie lever & wheel spanner used to attached with velcro being the front facing third row, and due to lack of space I used to mostly have the third row removed and kept in the garage. So, basically the jack lever and wheel spanner is to be kept running loose in the dickie/boot area. I too hope they have found some permanent place for it.
I was going through the Owners Manual posted on the website, no changes to the storage in the new Scorpio which is a major let down:

The jack is located under the co-driver's seat.
The wheel spanner and spare wheel rod are:
• strapped to the 2nd row seat bottom (for 7/9 seat — side facing variants)
• strapped to the 3rd row seat bottom (for 8 seat — front facing, 7 seat — captain seat variants)
Though there is no mention of the tool kit, I guess it is still strapped under the co drivers seat with Velcro.

Apart from many other things, the 2 welcome additions changes are:

1. Battery Mounted Fuse Box connected to the positive terminal of the battery to provide short circuit protection to alternator, power supply to main engine compartment fuse box & electric cooling fan.
2. Gas Struts for the Hood

In my view M&M should at least have looked at providing:
1. Full folding flat bed, rear seats like the XUV
2. Auto folding OVRM's with turn indicators
3. Printed antenna
4. Pull up rear door instead of the historical barn door
5. Foldable remote integrated keys
m_upreti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 15:50   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
14.75 is for the S10 with 2wd. S10 with 4wd is 16.14L. At these prices, they are way too costly for what it offers (imo).

I don't know what more to say, I don't possibly have anymore to say. As I said I'm not an SUV guy, so take these as you please (won't that be the case anyway? ) Unfortunately way too overprized for me to afford the top end S10 (with or without 4WD).

Price list of Dealer Sireesh Auto in B'lore. (zoom in and you can see the details).

Scorpio getting expensive and buying S10 is now pretty close to XUV price .

Unless some one is a die hard fan of Scorpio , not worth buying the S10 variant . The On road price in Bangalore is at almost 16 Lakhs !!!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 1st October 2014 at 05:30. Reason: Trimmed long quoted posts for benefit of mobile users.
Old 30th September 2014, 17:36   #972
BHPian

Took a test drive of both the new scorpio and xuv at India Garage, Palace Cross Roads.

Very impressed with the new scorpio, Looks a lot better than in the pics. Ride inside the city is simply sublime and this can go very well over potholes/broken roads. Ride felt flat throughout, better than xuv. Driving position with seats set to the lowest point felt perfect for my frame. There is no turbo lag at all, 3rd gear easily picks up from 10 kmph without any issue. Driving the scorpio felt "invincible" and "unstoppable". This is such a badass car to drive. S10 with optional 4X4 is 16.15 L on road Bangalore.

However, the xuv handled a lot better and had better gearbox and had much more luxurious interiors. This particular demo car had been seriously abused though. There was abnormal noise and vibration coming from engine, gearbox and clutch. On road price is 17.5 L including some discounts.

Difference of about 1.5 L between the Top end 4X4/AWD variants of scorpio and xuv is not justified. I feel the scorpio is over priced.
For the difference of 1.5 L, you get the following in xuv -

1. Leather seats. Better fit and finish.
2. Electrical folding mirrors.
3. 4 more airbags, ESP and ABD. Anti roll bar at the rear as well.
4. 1 more 12v socket. (not sure exactly)
5. 6 speed vs 5 speed gearbox.
6. 20 more hp and 50 nm more torque.
7. ESP and EBD.
8. 2 more speakers.

Seems like the difference of 1.5L makes XUV more value for money than Scorpio.

Last edited by Aniket6 : 30th September 2014 at 17:39.
Aniket6 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 17:47   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Took a test drive of both the new scorpio and xuv at India Garage, Palace Cross Roads. Seems like the difference of 1.5L makes XUV more value for money than Scorpio.
You got it bang on, I think you TD'd the XUV W8, compare the S10 with a W6 and XUV is much more VFM than the new Scorpio. M&M needs to relook at the pricing strategy and the difference between the S8 & S10, probably they should think of bringing in a S8+ in between.
Old 30th September 2014, 20:44   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Had a bit of time to spare so did a bit of editing (on my Galaxy Note phone) to show what I wish the Scorpio would have looked like.
Attachment 1293052
Looks heavily inspired by the 2014 Toyota 4Runner.

Last edited by Maverick_x1 : 30th September 2014 at 20:46.
Old 30th September 2014, 20:54   #975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
or just based on specifications/features and what others might be saying of the newly launched car assumed the better car.
No, have driven it a lot, both, the earlier iteration and this. Apart from AC & cruising ability, Storme brakes better & I think, it will continue to have an upper hand over this new Scorpio as well, simply because I see the same hardware being carried over. A big negative, this, the lower GC, A/C (no ceiling blower etc) and not proving a taller 5th or an additional 6th.

Quote:
You got it bang on, I think you TD'd the XUV W8, compare the S10 with a W6 and XUV is much more VFM than the new Scorpio. M&M needs to relook at the pricing strategy and the difference between the S8 & S10, probably they should think of bringing in a S8+ in between.
Very frankly, I myself find the pricing absurd, I am supposed to pay 14+ for the 4X4 variant in S10 and a FWD XUV W8 costs only a lakh more. Feature wise, Scorpio feels overpriced. I was hoping genuine leather seats in the S10, but sadly M&M is milking the Scorpio's brand name. The H9 model of the Xylo does come with good quality leather seats.

And yes, the Xylo's ad is much better than the Scorpio's
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks