Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2017, 13:53   #586
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
The boot space is also pretty good for its price and class. Can be a USP in itself.
The loading lip is too narrow and the sill is too high.
Old 29th March 2017, 14:08   #587
BHPian

The pricing is sensible from Tata, once again. And not surprisingly, few disappointed people as well, in this forum. Of course, even if they price it at 2L, there would be people who will find something to complain about.

Tata already has a product on par with the Dezires and Xccents, although not a runaway success. Kudos to Tata for being proactive and upping the game. Most people who buy cars in this segment (IMO) hardly care about the engines and looks. Now imagine, a new product comes along with much better appearance and at a much lower price. Who is going to say no? Perhaps only those who don't like Tata, but for everyone else, buying the Tigor makes perfect sense.

People posting about 3 pot engine, lacklustre performance etc., think for a min before you post. This is meant to be a poor man's compact sedan (which itself was a poor man's sedan). And we know a poor man can't think like a king, like performance, platform, this and that. He has but to compromise on something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
The loading lip is too narrow and the sill is too high.
Don't worry, nobody is going to notice that. BTW, if you have seen the car in person, I am fine with that comment, otherwise, I will wait to see the car closer and try it before making such a statement.

Quote:
The competitors run much better powertrains with superior NVH. The 4 cylinder diesel engine in Dzire alone is worth half the price difference.
Same goes for the Zest as well, right?

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 29th March 2017 at 14:20.
prakash_ajp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 14:14   #588
BANNED

Though the rear looks good, there is some kind of awkwardness in the design, IMO.

Can Tata modify it to bring a small car like below? Instead of an extended egg, it resembles a car.

(Original image: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4172267)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-platinum_silver.jpg  

Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs-platinum_silver_3.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 29th March 2017 at 14:38.
Old 29th March 2017, 14:20   #589
BANNED

I was expecting a REALLY aggressive pricing ala Tiago, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And it makes sense, Tata is in it to make money and they have shown that they can make a good looking, comfortable and refined car in the Tiago. and the price still undercuts all the compact sedans, which was expected since the Tiago is a shorter car than other hatches but its good to see that they are asking money after they have re engineered the car, with a longer wheelbase, cushier seats.

On the other hand, Welcome your new de facto Taxi of India!! Should be the cheapest "sedan" if i'm not mistaken. And the boot space is also better than the laughable one that DZire offers.

Coming to the variants I was expecting Airbags/ABS to be standard considering a good lac premium over the Tiago. But whats worse is that there are No optional Airbags as in the Tiago, would have loved to see the Safety pack option in lower variants as well.

And now that we have seen the RaceMo, I hope we get a hot hatch with that Tune of RovoTron in either the Tiago or the Tigor. A proper Sub 10 lakh Hot hatch. Wishful Thinking I know!!
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 14:31   #590
Sac
BHPian

We all are trying to compare apple to apple but in fact Tigor is an Apple in the Orange cart that are the hatchbacks.
Old 29th March 2017, 14:34   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Same goes for the Zest as well, right?
You seem to have missed my earlier post.

Quote:
Zest has a more refined, and powerful 4 cylinder diesel engine producing 90bhp for which the 3 cylinder mill in Tigor is no match. In fact after this pricing the Zest looks like a really attractive option.
Old 29th March 2017, 14:38   #592
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I feel that every company has a right to make a 'fair profit', and looking at the comparison chart posted by RavenAvi, the Tigor is still undercutting its competitors by a good margin. As we've seen with the Tiago, it offers good quality too...with an interior that feels superior to some of its direct competitors. Keeping these points in mind, the Tigor is well-priced for what it offers.

That said, it's not a car that I would consider over the competition. To me, the engine is very, very important and I simply don't like 3-cylinders. The fact that some of its competitors offer silky smooth 4-cylinders tilts my preference in their favour.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 14:41   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Though the rear looks good, there is some kind of awkwardness for the design, IMO.

Can Tata modify it to bring a small car like below?

(Original image: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4172267)
The car you posted, with length and width unchanged, would be shorter by 30%, thereby forcing people to crouch into the car and sit in a sleeping position. Are you sure you are okay with it?

Quote:
You seem to have missed my earlier post.
I did see the post and that's what I was trying to counter in my post. For 80-90K less, you get the same car minus the bigger engine. In the same vein, one can say, if you spend another lakh or so, you get a proper C sedan instead of a compact sedan. Anyway, if Tiago is a success with those engine options, Tigor can match it or better it IMO.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 14:58   #594
BHPian

Credit where it is due; the pricing is fair & reasonable, all the more when we see market leaders pricing the new launches ridiculously (Ignis/Baleno RS).

Tata has improved their quality significantly, as seen with Tiago, Hexa and now Tigor. Nifty features like climate-control/eco-mode etc. are useful as well. Let the folks earn their well deserved (monetary) success as well.

Personally I'd expect 2 additions, hopefully Tata's incorporate them in near future -

1. 4 cylinder petrol/diesel engine - well let's just say, the petrol engine in tiago is the reason why I'm not driving one today. Fantastic little car with a downer of an engine. The average Joe today is ready to pay a slight premium for powerful engine. Look at kwid, most of the sales have now moved to the 1L engine.

2. airbags in all variants - shouldn't have skipped the essential safety equipment, especially since government is looking to make them mandatory as early as October 2017. Would have scored brownie points in crash-tests and brand perception as well.

Perhaps I'm being expecting more from Tata's; considering the equivalent offerings from competition; but with above additions, Tiago/Tigor would be the ideal little car for many more.
anurag.somani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 15:08   #595
BHPian

Erm. Pardon my ignorance. But which segment would the Tigor exactly fall into? We know the Zest is a compact sedan and is based on a premium hatch i.e the Bolt. Since this is based on the Tiago which is not exactly an entry level hatch, I am confused. I am pretty sure comparing it to the likes of DZire, XCent and the likes is not proper.

Is it a CCS (Compact compact sedan)?
Old 29th March 2017, 15:22   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Erm. Pardon my ignorance. But which segment would the Tigor exactly fall into? We know the Zest is a compact sedan and is based on a premium hatch i.e the Bolt. Since this is based on the Tiago which is not exactly an entry level hatch, I am confused. I am pretty sure comparing it to the likes of DZire, XCent and the likes is not proper.

Is it a CCS (Compact compact sedan)?
Its a new segment - as TATA calls it - Styleback.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 15:26   #597
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

Erm. Pardon my ignorance. But which segment would the Tigor exactly fall into?
Karthik Chandra already provided the answer some pages back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

Incidentally, we have 3 sub segments in sub 4 meter sedans

Segment 1 - Ameo, since its based on Polo which is a premium hatch comparable to i20, Jazz and Baleno in terms of feature and pricing

Segment 2 - Dzire, Xcent, Zest, Aspire based on B2 hatchbacks

Segment 3 - Tigor and upcoming Essentia based on B1 hatchbacks

Last edited by RSR : 29th March 2017 at 15:32.
RSR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 15:26   #598
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
The car you posted, with length and width unchanged, would be shorter by 30%, thereby forcing people to crouch into the car and sit in a sleeping position. Are you sure you are okay with it?
As long as it allows to drive in a comfortable position, has a good engine, basic features, good quality, mileage, ASS and has the looks part, I am ok with it. Getting in to the car is mostly a one time activity during a drive.

For a car to be aspirational, it has to be designed by enthusiasts and not by engineers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
How much more rock bottom are you expecting?
It's already priced roughly 65,000 to 90,000 less than it's peers.
Tiago is priced 1 lakh lesser than Swift. Tigor is priced 60k lesser than Dzire. Need more reasons for my disappointment?

Tiago owes to its superb pricing for its success.Tigor won't.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 29th March 2017 at 15:52.
Old 29th March 2017, 15:27   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Starting at 4.70 lakh.. petrol XZ (O) at 619000 and diesel at 7.09. I feel it's on the higher side.
With Tiago top model the difference stands at 1.2 lakh for Petrol and 1.3 lakh for diesel. That's more than what I anticipated. Shouldn't have been more than 60-70k difference. With an average diesel engine, for me it's overpriced. Disappointed.

Suddenly, Figo D Titanium at 6.66 ex showroom starts making more sense.
The pricing for Petrol is sensible.
Agreed, the diesel could have been a wee bit more powerful and cheaper.

We should be comparing it with the Aspire, rather than the Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
With the expectations set by the Tiago pricing, I was expecting a rock-bottom pricing for Tigor. This is a sedan built on an A-segment hatch, not on B-segment hatch like Swift. I'm disappointed now.
How much more rock bottom are you expecting?
It's already priced roughly 65,000 to 90,000 less than it's peers.
Old 29th March 2017, 15:28   #600
BHPian

In my frank opinion this could have been priced better.

This is higher than the launch price of the Zest

The TBHP review mentions;

Quote:
The Tata Zest has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 4.64 - 6.99 lakhs (ex-Delhi).
Though Zest prices have increased, I'm sure discounts are on. So where does this leave the Tigor?

The Tigor XZ is a cool 1 lakh over the Tiago XZ. That's too high IMO.

TATA needs two feet to stand tall, the Hexa even in success is a low volume proposition.

They need Tigor to do a Tiago if not better, with this pricing all they have done is save the Tiago from cannibalisation. Because at the premium of a lakh one gets same engines at lower fuel efficiency WRT Tiago.

But w.r.t higher segments (eg Dzire, Aspire etc.) the engines also change with the premium paid and in some cases a mid variant is available at the XZs price.

Also the Zest is available as a cab, wont bode well if the Tigor follows suit. Now what needs to be seen is how the GST changes the prices across segments.

IMO they have done a Bolt here but will be very happy to see this car succeed.
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks