Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 00:27   #1336
BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Whoa! That's a stunner right there! I know lot of people don't care for the grill but nothing that cannot be easily fixed I think.

Who would have thought? Our home grown heros like Tata and Mahindra would have such truely premium/lifestyle offerings like this Thar and the 2020 Harrier, while the global players like Suzuki and Honda would embrace the budget baton! Must say it takes guts for the Desi players to target these segments and I sincerely hope they get rewarded for their efforts. Good times indeed for the Indian car buyer!
Romeo_Mike is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:29   #1337
Senior - BHPian

I am curious and just for the sake of discussion, will or can FCA challenge the Thar legally in India like they did in the US? Considering that they have even copied the rear lights.

I love the Thar, don't get me wrong but I was wondering the legal implications of it.

Especially if Mahindra wants to export the Thar, I don't see how they will not be challenged by FCA.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:35   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
By sickening - May be you are referring to the birth date of the father of the nation? Sad to hear this POV.
No, I wasn't referring to only Gandhi Jayanti. I was referring to all 3- Independence Day, Gandhi Jayanti and the founding day for Mahindra being used as a smoke screen to give this jeep an "Atmanirbhar" and make in India product appearance.

Benefit of doubt could be given to Mahindra Roxor as it is apparently based on the CJ models of the Willy's and that Mahindra too had a license from the parent company. But this Thar design way too extreme from Mahindra, in my opinion. I could never imagine Mahindra falling to Dabwali and Moga workshop levels.

Utterly disappointed.
Malhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:35   #1339
BHPian

Is that a rear disc brake?

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200815170515.jpg

IMO, no matter how aspirational Thar is for us fans, it is still a task to live with it as a single car in garage. There are too many adjustments to be made for that to happen.

But, if this is how Thar has turned out to be, then I am even more eager to know how Scorpio would turn out to be. Real exciting times for SUV crazy market.
varunswnt is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:36   #1340
BHPian

Why I am getting a feel that, this will or can do what Royal Enfield did in two wheeler segment. The craze among youngsters. The new gen Thar looks really cool and urban ( an advantage compared to the old gen ). Can turn out to be it's USP and shouldn't be surprised if it gives tough competition in the SUV segment.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th August 2020 at 00:52. Reason: Fixed.
RBalaM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:40   #1341
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Is that a rear disc brake?
No, for rear wheels, only drum brake are on offer for Thar as of now.

(That is looking like a disk brake due to reflaction & camera angle.)

Last edited by Gladiator_1 : 16th August 2020 at 01:08. Reason: Quote trimmed. Typos fixed. Please run a spell-checker.
Gladiator_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:44   #1342
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
I am assuming that this is the Convertible version. Note that they mentioned Fixed Soft Top, Convertible and Hard Top version, hence I am guessing that the Convertible version will be a soft top one.

If we look closely, this model's soft top looks removable and hence there might not be a removable Hard top version
One of the reviews confirms this and so does the spec details on the M&M website that the Hard Top will be non-removable one.

How big a bummer/deal breaker that might be in the decision making for those preferring a Hard Top Thar?
udy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 00:58   #1343
BHPian

Looking at specifications for both trims from the Autocar video, one thing that jumps out at me is that a roll cage is only offered on the LX variant. Wouldn't this be part of the standard safety package? How safe would the AX variant be in a rollover?
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-tharax.jpg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-tharlx.jpg  

Last edited by stewie : 16th August 2020 at 01:02. Reason: Removed a redundant word.
stewie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 01:04   #1344
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Looking at specifications for both trims from the Autocar video, one thing that jumps out at me is that a roll cage is only offered on the LX variant. Wouldn't this be part of the standard safety package? How safe would the AX variant be in a rollover?
On the AX variant, it will be a part of the Option Pack included with the Front Facing Seats, if you opt for them.

Not sure if a Roll Cage can be fitted on a side facing seats which are standard on the AX variant, just like the previous generation Thar.
udy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 01:26   #1345
BHPian

This is a great leap forward for Mahindra in terms of the overall model, something similar to what RE did with the classic range of motorcycles.

I like how Thar has grown and reinvented itself. However, unlike Wrangler, which is capable of being the only vehicle in the garage, sort of 'do everything you want' vehicle, I think Thar can still only advance from a 3rd car to a 2nd car in the garage but can not be the only one
cmani0000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 01:26   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
He makes it seems like you just have to pull it back and pull open a zipper, and it's done - that's clearly misleading, lol. Anyway, eagerly waiting for Team BHP's authentic views.
I think he mentioned that you can take some assistance from friends and family to do it. The easy point might be with reference to the old Thar if you think of it, where removing the top was a lengthy process.

I owned the 2015 Thar, and it used to take easily 30 minutes plus to get the top off. Not to forget, you needed to have a place to store it securely. Here, you still have it with you all the time. Have you checked out the new Thar yet and compared the soft top removal to the old one?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th August 2020 at 21:55. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 01:31   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I think he mentioned that you can take some assistance from friends and family to do it. The easy point might be with reference to the old Thar if you think of it, where removing the top was a lengthy process.

I owned the 2015 Thar, and it used to take easily 30 minutes plus to get the top off. Not to forger, you needed to have a place to store it securely. Here, you still have it with you all the time. Have you checked out the new Thar yet and compared the soft top removal to the old one?
I know, I own a 2015 Thar as well

I meant, the video portrays it as if all you have to do is pull the soft-top back, and it's done. Whereas, the process is actually like this:

Easier than previous Thar, definitely, no doubts about it. But there's more to it than he shows, and certainly more complicated than he portrays. Combine this with other factors that these reviewers miss out from their videos, it's all just a thinly veiled advertisement, not an accurate depiction of the pros & cons of the product.

Or perhaps I'm just more used to Doug DeMuro discussing all aspects fairly in depth when it comes to vehicle reviews. I understand it might not be possible for these Youtubers to include all aspects in a short video. But well, sometimes it appears that they end up praising the product too much.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 16th August 2020 at 01:35.
N.A.GTC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 01:38   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
I know, I own a 2015 Thar as well

I meant, the video portrays it as if all you have to do is pull the soft-top back, and it's done. Whereas, the process is actually like this:

Easier than previous Thar, definitely, no doubts about it. But there's more to it than he shows, and certainly more complicated than he portrays. Combine this with other factors that these reviewers miss out from their videos, it's all just a thinly veiled advertisement, not an accurate depiction of the pros & cons of the product.

Or perhaps I'm just more used to Doug DeMuro discussing all aspects fairly in depth. I understand it might not be possible for these Youtubers to include all aspects in a short video. But well, sometimes it appears that they end up praising the product too much.
I've clearly not said that. I agree that it might sound too casual. But spare me for being amazed by the fact that the soft top did not need another room or a garage for it to be stored. (That video is mine)

The problem is with the time available. If the brands allow for more time with the car, I would have tried better
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 02:04   #1349
BANNED

It seems to be excellent, though I'm a little disappointed with the storage space.

Are the hard-top panels easily removable? I was initially excited about the convertible, but changed my mind when I saw the chap taking apart the window from outside. Too insecure to leave any precious equipment in the car.

Another thought: the impressions seem to hint at a rough ride quality, with every bump being perceptible. I notice that it comes with a set of Ceat shoes. Perhaps a tyre upgrade will improve this.

It's unreasonable to expect this to make tight corners.
samirotiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 02:06   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
I just do not want to go into the reason behind Mahindra chosing 15th of August and 2nd October as the dates of launch and bookings. Even the thought of it is sickening.
Just a bit of clarification, while 15th August could have been chosen to reap on the patriotic highs of Indians but 2nd October has been chosen for a different reason. It was 2nd October 1945 that the Mahindra and Mahindra group was founded and it is in 2020 on 2nd October that they complete 75 years of their existence.
Though, I can agree on the Wrangler part. I felt it was okay till the exteriors but the striking resemblance of the interiors too seems unacceptable to me and is a move that is better suited to the Chinese.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks