Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 15:47   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Amaze @ Auto Expo 2018. Now launched at Rs 5.60 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
How bad was the lag while climbing the flyover? I TD the diesel CVT with 2 passengers on-board, and I didn't feel any lag. Wondering if the slugging response is just limited to petrol CVT.
This was a manual. Lag was quite bad to be honest but as the car was in run-in period + the 1.2 petrol's poor low end response in general, I guess it was to be expected.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 17:34   #377
BHPian

This was the reason wanted to check if any of our friedns have driven a petrol and diesel CVT back to back. The petrol engine needs to be in high rpm to get its life and this is what i heard. My brother did a petrol CVT test drive and he said the car struggles in the up hill and the rubber band effect comes up the same with three people.
He couldnt get a diesel cVT as it was not available for TD.
Diesel on the other hand heard is good in this aspect however it looses out on the top end.
Old 1st June 2018, 13:46   #378
Senior - BHPian

I see lot of reviews about CVT diesel, but wish to know few specific details Having a CVT scooter(very poor choice of comparison, I know), I always found the transmission to struggle to go over steep inclines.

The performance difference between flat surface and incline is day and night ! Wish to know how the Diesel CVT performs on inclines with load.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 16:14   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Which brand of tyres are OEM?

Or are there variations depending on the variant? VX gets Michelin, E gets MRF etc..
Old 1st June 2018, 17:03   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Which brand of tyres are OEM?

Or are there variations depending on the variant? VX gets Michelin, E gets MRF etc..
When I visited the Honda showroom last week, I spotted JK vectra on lowest variant and Bridgestone on VX variant. Rest assured, Honda is not giving Michelins on Amaze. And that is perfectly understandable when you observe that the overall feel of the car is built to cost. It's like Honda trying to tell Maruti that we can build tin cans too.

Heck, even top end City ZX CVT was shod with Bridgestone ecopias.
headbanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 20:48   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

New Amaze does help Honda in its May sales figures, dispatches 9,789 units during the month.
Quote:
This growth was led by All New Honda Amaze clocking monthly sales of 9,789 units, which is highest ever monthly sales numbers for a single Honda model.

Source : Honda
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 23:13   #382
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Heck, even top end City ZX CVT was shod with Bridgestone ecopias.
That is because the City VX and ZX variants wear tyres of a very odd size; 185/55 R16. As of now, Bridgestone specially makes this size only for Honda, there are no other options from any other tyre manufacturer till now. The reason they used this size is to keep the overall diameter of the 16 inch wheels exactly the same as the lower 15 inch wheels. This way the ABS calibration/module and even the GC does not have to be different in the lower and top variants which use 175/65 R15 and 185/55 R16 respectively.

Michelins are imported tyres AFAIK and it will cost a lot more to import custom spec tyres compared to Bridgestone who make the custom size in India instead. I feel it was a good decision not to use imported tyres in the top variants because if they had, the scenario would have become exactly like how luxury car owners struggle to find replacement tyres.

Michelin XM1s(175/65 R15) are still randomly used as OEM tyres in the V variant along with Bridgestone, MRF etc. as that size is common across many cars.

Last edited by OSH : 1st June 2018 at 23:20.
OSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 11:25   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Michelin XM1s(175/65 R15) are still randomly used as OEM tyres in the V variant along with Bridgestone, MRF etc. as that size is common across many cars.
XM1 or XM2? Thought the latter has fully replaced the former?
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:56   #384
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
XM1 or XM2 ?
Till the last time I checked, they were XM1. XM2s are a bit more expensive than XM1s and I doubt Honda would use them considering the fact that even XM1s must be costing them much more than the Brigdestones and MRFs.

Quote:
Thought the latter has fully replaced the former ?
I don't know anything about XM1s being discontinued or not, but if they are actually replaced with XM2s then that must be the reason why lesser and lesser Citys are coming from the factory with Michelins fitted.

Last edited by OSH : 2nd June 2018 at 12:59.
Old 3rd June 2018, 14:53   #385
VEA
BHPian

I took a TD of the Amaze diesel cvt. My current car is a Baleno CVT and I am looking for something better in acceleration. I did not find the Amaze CVT to be any better than the Baleno or the Micra CVT I had previously in the acceleration department. The amaze was good in the run to 40 kmph from standstill, but was just as bad as any other CVT vehicle in this price point afterwards. Any positive feeling in acceleration is offset by the loud engine. I feel a loud diesel engine is not at all suited for a CVT gearbox. The automatic version has missing essentials such as seat belt height adjustment.

The car is suited for high milers and city driving if the engine is kept below 2500 rpm, else its annoying. The TD car was showing 16kmpl in the MID which I feel is great and reflects real world FE.
VEA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 16:15   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
My current car is a Baleno CVT and I am looking for something better in acceleration.
Till the new Aspire/Figo come, I am afraid the only cars under 10 lakhs to have better figures than Baleno would probably be Ecosport, Polo GT TSI and Ameo Diesel DSG. If you want a Honda to do it, you best bet would be City.
Old 3rd June 2018, 16:48   #387
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Till the new Aspire/Figo come, I am afraid the only cars under 10 lakhs to have better figures than Baleno would probably be Ecosport, Polo GT TSI and Ameo Diesel DSG. If you want a Honda to do it, you best bet would be City.
I had the Polo GT Tsi for 4 years, loved it. In need of more space and thus the above options were dropped. I really had high hopes in the new Amaze. Dont get me wrong, it is an all rounded package, does score good in all departments, but nothing remarkble about anything I felt.
Old 4th June 2018, 08:37   #388
BHPian

Honda Amaze, new model has got a commercially successful introduction. It sold near 10,000 copies in May 2018, which is highest ever sale of any individual Honda model in India.

http://indianautosblog.com/2018/06/2...a-model-306647

A good line up, with CVT option in both petrol and diesel models clicked well. A lucrative introductory prices also played its role to attract buyers.

Let's see how the initial number continues in coming months.
Subby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 08:57   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone help me decode this new Honda Amaze VIN? I have tried to but unsure of the bold bits.

MAKDF556EJ4xxxx

M - CONTINENT - ASIA
AK - COUNTRY & MANUFACTURER - Honda Siel Cars India Ltd,
K - PRODUCT TYPE: CAR
DF556 - Honda internal classification?
E - MONTH OF MANUFACTURE - May
J - YEAR OF MANUFACTURE - 2018
4 - PLANT COUNTRY: INDIA
xxxxx- SEQUENTIAL NUMBER of the vehicle
Old 4th June 2018, 15:47   #390
BHPian

Got a chance to drive the new Amaze petrol MT and diesel CVT. Took a short drive in CVT from my home to the showroom (3km) and then drove the petrol for around 25 km. Here are my observations.

1. Diesel is still noisy. Its better than WR-V now.

2. The low end response of petrol is poor especially under 1500 rpm. Past 2k, its quite fun to drive.

3. I liked the ride and handling. Comfortable over bad roads and composed around the corners. I couldn't test it above 55 kmph.

4. Steering has a quick return to centre action.

5. Available space is good. Good legroom and decent headroom. Not wide as say a Baleno.

6. You sit high on the driver's seat. Good visibility. I am 5.8 and I could see the whole bonnet, even before the maximum seat height.

7. Touchscreen is very responsive. Honda should provide this HU in the higher models.

8. Build quality felt a bit flimsy. You feel that when you close the doors or boot. Even tapping on the body panels, it doesn't feel great.

9. The gears felt a little notchy, especially slotting into 2nd and 5th. Could be due to new car.

10. MID showed 14 kmpl mileage, as most of the drive was inside the city.

11. Misses: rear wiper, adjustable rear headrests and front armrests.

12. The waiting period is one month here. The prices could increase after two months.

Overall, except for the diesel CVT, I would pick the other better options for different engine+gearbox combo from other manufacturers.
knightrider_7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks