Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 18:33   #271
BHPian

Re: The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs

Did not find a TD for BS6 in Chandigarh anywhere. Speaking of specifics with now Compass getting more and more expensive this is a nice alternative to the expensive yet more appealing Jeep.
Old 5th March 2020, 20:21   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
Did not find a TD for BS6 in Chandigarh anywhere. Speaking of specifics with now Compass getting more and more expensive this is a nice alternative to the expensive yet more appealing Jeep.

Have not had a chance to drive the BS VI. As per reports it looks well sorted now compared to the hastened launch. Remember GTO saying it is around one year too early.

Looks like you will have the Jeep Compass( engine),Hyundai Tucson( gear box)and the Discovery( platform)all rolled into one giant roll. Take a test drive. You like the taste order a Jumbo(Top Spec).
Arjun Reddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 22:35   #273
BHPian

Visited Sagar Motors, Noida today to test drive XZA BS6 red harrier. As with other cities, XZA+ was not available, maybe because panoramic sunroof comes from Hubei, China and factory there is not properly functional due to Covid-19 outbreak.

Went for a small test drive for about 15 mins and got out of car smiling.

When comparing BS6 Harrier AT vs BS4 Harrier manual dark edition : did test drive of both

1. Its evident from the start that pickup is a lot better even in automatic BS6 harrier than BS4 manual.

2. Gearbox is smooth. No jerks at all. it accelerated smoothly with almost no turbo lag.

3. NVH is much better than before. I put it in manual mode and went with RPMs upto 3700 and still noise inside cabin was very well contained and engine didn't seem loud at all.

4. Steering Wheel is bit smaller/thinner than the BS4 one. I liked holding BS6 harrier steering better(see attached pic)

5. Centre console has been slightly modified at the bottom corners. In BS4 harrier, my left knee usually brushed centre console. But in BS6 harrier, it is a bit smaller at bottom and I could easily find a comfortable seating position without my knee touching the centre console. (see attached pic) (SA also said that some changes have been made as there was complaint for BS4 Harrier that for many people, left knee brushed against centre console, he confirmed the same for steering size too)

6. Similarly, the part to which steering wheel is attached, is a bit thinner than before. BS4 harrier steering bottom sometimes touched legs, but not in BS6 harrier.

7. Don't know if this was present before also, but when I put the car in reverse, music volume automatically decreased and then came back to normal when got out of reverse. This is a good feature as we require more concentration while reversing.

8. As it is an automatic, there is enough space in footwell and a huge dead pedal has been provided.

9. As everyone already know, ORVMs are smaller now and blindspot is minimized. Also, front USB charging/Aux are directly visible and not hidden at all now, plus an extra USB fast charging socket is now inside armrest console.

Some bad impressions:
1. Ground clearance has decreased by around 22mm due to DEF tank. Laden GC now is 153 mm. BS4 one had laden GC of 175mm (unladen GC of 205mm).

2. Touchscreen still hanged(didn't lag, but I pressed something and it hanged once for like 9-10 seconds.

3. When first-time tried to change mode from city to eco/sport while driving, it didn't change at all. Had to stop the car and start again, worked well thereafter.

4. Rear camera quality is not good for a 2 million car.

5. A few connected car features would have further increased its appeal in these times when every CSUV/SUV from Hyundai/Kia is coming with it.

6. Armrest is as useless as before(for my seating position)

Also to be noted, for BS6 harrier, DEF is must. If DEF is finished, you can't even start the car. Although enough warnings will be shown when DEF level starts going down. DEF inlet can be seen on the right side in boot after lifting up the smaller boot cover near boot lip.
Attached Thumbnails
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-d70fc973695f44aba26a703cbf9fe280.jpg  

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-0def74cbe40f40558445bb5e33ed3785.jpg  

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-a5d11d7e1841426d8eaa01bc870801fc.jpg  

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-caf7452c50f44057a03d70bb066cb245.jpg  

Last edited by Eddy : 5th March 2020 at 23:01. Reason: Spacing for better readability
SahilS is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 00:13   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
A well rounded walk around video of the red Harrier XZA !
Extremely desirable in this shade of red! One heck of a design! However, it does seem like the tailgate has wider gaps on the driver's side compared to the passenger side :(

I hope I'm wrong or that this is a one-off but these issues are really something Tata should fix first before adding more features and variants.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 13:41   #275
BHPian

TD'ed the Harrier Automatic XZA variant today. Great car! My feedback:

Pros:
  1. Looks great! (I TD'ed a red car)
  2. ORVM size *noticeably* reduced, now they're perfect and look good and no longer cause a blind spot.
  3. Climate control works very nicely (something I miss in my present car), and supposedly has voice controls too, didn't try.
  4. Cruise control works nicely too. In Blore traffic on ORR svc road, I managed to try cruising at 35 kmph for about 15 seconds, and later on at 50 kmph at en empty lakeside road for about 20 seconds. Only thing is that when cruising at low speeds close to the minimum cruisable speed, it seems to revv the engine in bursts to maintain constant speed (bcoz the auto-tranny is in low gear I assume), as in: Revv a bit, if speed drops, revv again, etc. The revv and slight jerk is noticeable. This is hardly an issue bcoz its very unlikely anyone would cruise at such low speeds. Cruising at higher speeds was smooth, no issue there.
  5. Did a bit of offroading and drove on highly undulating unpaved roads too, it took it all very well.
  6. Very spacious trunk cargo area, and intelligently additional space created under floor, made possible by moving the spare tyre under the vehicle.

Cons:
  1. Engine felt slightly noisy, though still much improved over the first model I testdrove when the manual Harrier was first launched several months ago.
  2. *Native* GPS is not there. One needs to connect a phone to get the GPS feature. That seems a fairly common thing nowadays I believe, and may not be a problem to most people.
  3. Minor: Parking brake seems clumsy to use, and it appears a bit flimsily built.
  4. Minor: The lid to open the storage under the armrest is a bit clumsy to unlock and operate.

Amongst all the automatic variants (XMA, XZA and VZA+), the XZA would be my pick.

Last edited by vharihar : 6th March 2020 at 13:47.
vharihar is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 16:57   #276
BHPian

Went and had a look at the Tata Harrier Auto. Unfortunately no test drive as the vehicle is yet to be registered here in Ahmedabad. A few pics of the Red and White dual tone XZAs side by side. Deliveries to commence by end of the month. The Plus variants also expected by then only.

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-5.jpg

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-6.jpg

Also saw the "New" colour Sparkle Cocoa which in reality seems to be the erstwhile Thermisto Gold shade (I would need to see both together to be able to discern the difference, if any). This is definitely not Thermisto Gold, because it was an XZA variant

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-1.jpg
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-2.jpg
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-3.jpg
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-4.jpg
Cheers
Uday

Last edited by uday.ere : 6th March 2020 at 17:10.
uday.ere is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 18:18   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
TD'ed the Harrier Automatic XZA variant today. Great car! My feedback....
2 more Cons:
- Horn doesn't sound premium (eg. Say compared to the Tucson's horn sound)
- Steering feel center airbag/horn area (which one presses to honk) feels quite mushy. Would have prefered if it was firm, would have felt more premium then.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th March 2020 at 10:46. Reason: Trimmed quote.
vharihar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 22:58   #278

Hi Guys. I am a new member here and this is my first post Have been closely following this thread as I am planning to buy a new automatic BS6 diesel car in couple of months and would be selecting between Harrier, Seltos or new Creta.

Just wanted to know one thing - Many of you have mentioned that DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is must for new Harrier and if DEF is finished it's not even possible to start the car.

Is this the case with Seltos as well as upcoming Creta too? Do they have DEF tank as well. Because I have not see anyone discussing about it on other forums of Sletos or Creta.
rohan777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 00:23   #279
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan777 View Post
Many of you have mentioned that DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is must for new Harrier and if DEF is finished it's not even possible to start the car.
The Harrier/Compass uses SCR technology which needs Adblue (Urea) to make a chemical reaction with the NOx of the exhaust gas and turn it into vapour. This system is being used in some BS4 heavy vehicles for quite a few years now and it is not a matter of great concern. There will be some sort of indicator to tell you when it needs a refill. The refill interval depends on the size of the tank and will vary from car to car. The BS6 diesel Innova is also using the same technology. No DEF means norms will be breached and the manufacturer cannot let that happen, so it prevents engine startup.

Quote:
Is this the case with Seltos as well as upcoming Creta too? Do they have DEF tank as well. Because I have not see anyone discussing about it on other forums of Seltos or Creta.
Seltos does not need DEF as the power figures and engine size of that car is a lot lesser than the Harrier/Compass and due to this, they are able to keep the emissions in check without using Adblue. Seltos/Creta would be using a different system to meet the BS6 norms like iEGR (Intelligent exhaust gas recirculation), LNT(Lean Nox trap) etc.

Manufacturers will use what they think is right or costs less. When the BS4 norms kicked-in, Ashok Leyland used iEGR in most of their offerings while Tata, Mahindra, Bharat-Benz used SCR. Same will happen with car manufacturers in this BS6 era.

Last edited by OSH : 7th March 2020 at 00:45.
OSH is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 16:54   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
7. Don't know if this was present before also, but when I put the car in reverse, music volume automatically decreased and then came back to normal when got out of reverse. This is a good feature as we require more concentration while reversing.
Hi Sahil, you're correct. This feature is carried over from the BS4 Harrier. I find it to be a great feature since it helps focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Was the steering well weighted at high speed? One of the earlier issues was the feedback was too much at high speeds, which was potentially very dangerous. Has that improved now?
I believe this was the case with the earlier batches. The post - August batches did not have this problem IMO. I don't have this problem with my car.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th March 2020 at 23:49. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
vk007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 17:03   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk007 View Post
I believe this was the case with the earlier batches. The post - August batches did not have this problem IMO. I don't have this problem with my car.
Thanks. That will be another box ticked.

I remember reading in GTO’s post that it was so bad that it was downright dangerous.
Garth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 19:27   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
Thanks. That will be another box ticked.

I remember reading in GTO’s post that it was so bad that it was downright dangerous.
The steering was fixed along with other improvements in July 2019.

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-harrier-updates.jpg

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour...r-improvements

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th March 2020 at 19:28.
Vid6639 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 23:39   #283
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the BS6 Harrier earlier today and was pleasantly surprised at the changes. Tata has been listening to customers.

1. The size of the wing mirror has been reduced so that it's not so much of a blind spot

The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200307_140438596_hdr.jpg

2. The handbrake was pretty fiddly before. Now it is much more sturdier
3. The plastic handle of the seat height adjuster felt much better indicating an increase in plastic quality

Alloys get a grey color. The top spec gets a different design - diamond cut.
The BS6 Tata Harrier with 6-speed AT. EDIT: Launched @ 13.69 lakhs-img_20200307_140442745.jpg

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 09:20   #284
BHPian

All those who have booked the XZA+ variant, has anyone received a time line for delivery? I am being told that delivery should start in this week, but looks like no one has seen the top end in person yet.
ihrishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 10:43   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
All those who have booked the XZA+ variant, has anyone received a time line for delivery? I am being told that delivery should start in this week, but looks like no one has seen the top end in person yet.
I was given the timeline of 25th March, but currently I have put it in hold as I also want to check the New Creta prices and the car in person.
rkv_hunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks