Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2008, 11:03   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Spot on, Rubin! Brilliant suggestion, only will have to look hard for the old Honda Accord which didn't really sell too well.
Actually there quite a few of them on sale. Some automatic, though. And no leather on quite a few examples.
Old 20th April 2008, 12:19   #257
Senior - BHPian

We had the Octy 2.0 Elegance. Very nice car - typical Skoda tank-like build, comfortable interiors, with a host of goodies. But this isn't the most fun car to drive. The engine is not the most responsive and there is a big flat spot, especially if you're accelerating in 2nd. But once it gets going, it's pretty darn quick. Rock stable at high speeds, handles pretty well for a big car too.
Not a cheap car to maintain - spares would be expensive, plus fuel efficiency is very low. Expect single digit figures if you're driving the car in the city (with or without AC).
It's a good car to own if it will be chauffeur driven and your company foots the petrol bills And the price you've been quoted, as others have mentioned, is not really that low. You can bargain and get quite a bit knocked off.
Old 20th April 2008, 12:31   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
For this price you will get Old Honda accord which will beat this car in every possible way .
really? i thought one doesn't get even a decent OHC under 4lakhs?
Old 20th April 2008, 12:41   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You re most welcome to come to Delhi and ill get you 10 cars in the range of 4 and 4.5 lack though i dont know how decent used cars are i can only comment about market prices
Old 20th April 2008, 13:05   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Actually there quite a few of them on sale. Some automatic, though. And no leather on quite a few examples.
Yeah that's because initially the OHA was only available in one trim level with cloth seats & wheelcaps. The VTi-L version was introduced a little later & came with alloys & leather as standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Delhi prices for a well maintained 40-50k kms done OHA are in the region of 4-5L. And these are for very clean, pristine cars.
Old 20th April 2008, 14:02   #261
Senior - BHPian

We have a 2.0 Petrol in the family and this is my experience driving it
  • Very very thirsty
  • Pick up is quite bad at the lower end of the power band
  • Quite stable at high speeds
If this car is for a person covering less than 600Kms amonth , then its not abad buy considering the fact that you can easily get the price down to 3.5 ish coz for that price this car is a steal coz its comfortable to drive and to be driven. Its thirsty but for 600Km a month this shouldnt be a serious problem
If this car is going to be driven my an enthusiast my advice would be not to buy it coz its not great. ITs like a train , when it gets running it feels really stable but its not much fun driving it

You can even look @
1.Used Honda city Vtec
2.Used corolla near to 5 ~ 6 lacs

Last edited by maxbhp : 20th April 2008 at 14:03.
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:37   #262
BANNED

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2008 at 11:37.
HAFI is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th April 2008, 03:31   #263
Senior - BHPian

2004 Nhc CVT located and bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Was searching for a pre owned, Automatic car for the wife.
The following were the specifications the car had to adhere to;
1) It should be an A/T (Automatic transmission)
2) It should be a low mileage car
3) It should be sparingly used and in good condition
4) It should have a Bombay Registeration.
6) It should not be more than four years old.

The choice was to be made out of the following cars;

# Honda City CVT (NHC)
# Toyota Corolla
# Skoda Octavia

Found that these were not so easy to come by considering the specifications I was looking for.
To my surprise, there were a lot of Civics available.

After a lot of searching, the following was the outcome;
Either the car was a non Bombay number, or was a high mileage car or it was more than 4 years old.
I test drove a 33K Skoda Octavia Elegance quoting 6.5L but disappeared into thin air when I followed up with him showing interest. I thought if I got the car for around 5.75 it would be ideal.
Then I saw a 2005 end NHC CVT (I realised that, amongst the dealer network, it is referred to as the "Dolphin Shape"
Its a champagne colour with leather and GXI badging ( I thought they were made only in one trim with no leather..maybe this was an after market fitment)The guy was quoting 5.75 and the car had done 19K only. Looks good and has no accident tell tales. Offered him 4.90 and asked him to get back to me tomorrow. Hope it works out as ive seen that low mileage and deals in this category are hard to come by.
During this search I found a silver Skoda RS 2005 done only 14K, in Mint condition and a very attractive price (hint to Richimni, Ranjit,...its cheaper than the Delhi RS by 50K)
Keep watching, hopefully ill start a new thread titled "My Skoda RS" ..soon
Ok guys after a lot of searching and I mean a lot finally bought a 2004 NHC CVT. The car has clocked 30K and is in spectacular condition. Ok I wanted a Bombay Regd (this is Kalyan) but the car was previously owned by a big company (co tax paid) and is almost scratchless. This car was shown to me a week ago and the quoted price was a firm non negotiable 5.5L. I told the broker he had lost it and could only offer 4.5L. Before coming to Goa I spoke to him again and offered him 4.75L, a take it o rleave it offer. In less than two hours the deal was struck. I know I have paid, maybe 20K more but the car is really in good nick. A call to my Mechanic, had him pick the car as I thought the brakes were a tad too weak. Turns out the pads have worn out and I might have to change the disks too. No problem as this is going to ferry my wife and kids so everything has to work perfectly. I have also asked for a complete oil and filter change (engine oil, tranny oil and all filters). Also asked him to service the car with an interior and exterior cleaning job.
My RTO agent is in the meanwhile, taking care of NOCs and transfers.
She is metallic dark blue shod with Mag wheels and is a pleasure to drive.
I had heard its sluggish but its quite nippy. (of course, dont compare it to a vtec)

Next step.
1) Speaker upgrade or should i say Ice?)
2) Sunfilm as it does tend to get really warm in, owing to the huge glass covered area.

Also noticed that it does not have a temp gauge. just a little light which comes on as blue coloured when the car starts and then disappears. What happens when and if the car overheats. This light comes on??? in a red colour maybe? Anyone?
any other tips from anyone who owns a CVT?

Pics when I get back.
Old 25th April 2008, 09:56   #264
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new buy gogi! Blue colour is quite rare in these parts. Reg the temp guage, while u switch on the carm, there will be a red(H) and a blue(C) lamp illuminated. For the first few mins of the day, the blue stays on and if the car overheats the red comes on.
Old 25th April 2008, 13:27   #265
Senior - BHPian

Thanks JayD. thought as much. Blue is also very uncommon here. In fact i almost thought it was repainted but it looks goos especially with the four spoke chrome alloys shes shod with. My choice woyud have been a deep dish design but what to do. Maybe ill swap it later.
Old 25th April 2008, 13:28   #266
Senior - BHPian

Excellent choice for Mrs. G, Gogi bhai! Is she happy with the car??
Old 27th April 2008, 11:22   #267
BANNED

hey,

comparing the rs and the elegance which is better regarding the cost of maintenance,spares and an efficient mileage?
Old 2nd May 2008, 01:27   #268
BHPian

Guys, please help in deciding my next car. Had planned for Swift LDI but there's a long waiting time!
Came across a 2005 make Hyundai Accent GLS, done 36K with audio system (pioneer all including sub woofer), keyless central locking with sensors. Owner is asking for 3.5L. Looks like a fair deal. He is also ready to renew insurance and put in new tyres.

Am tempted to go for a bigger car, but not sure about Accent's durability and maintenance costs. Car is from gurgaon and owned by a colleague's business partner.

What do you think. Carwale.com says its a good price! price difference between this and Swift LDI will make up for the fuel costs is what i feel.

What price can I expect on resale after 1 year? any idea?

Last edited by markiv : 2nd May 2008 at 01:33.
Old 3rd May 2008, 05:07   #269
BHPian

Guys! anyone who could offer some suggestions?
Old 5th May 2008, 18:14   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
Guys! anyone who could offer some suggestions?
Hi Mark. 3.5 for a 3 year old accent sure is a fair deal. i bought a 7 year old accent last year. The used car prices in Bangalore are way higher than in delhi. Accent is a very good car. I find it fun to drive too. Try it out for yourself. It may not be as fast as a city, but it sure is reasonably quick and totally trouble free.
As regards maintenance, it is rather inexpensive to maintain. the hyundai A.S.S. is spot on and is very economical. its parts are readily available. However, since it is an old model and there are rumours of it being phased out, do not expect a great resale from it. But if you are looking at something like a 3-4 year horizon, it would be a good buy. The legroom at the rear is not commensurate to it's length though. All in all, you wouldn't go wrong with this car.
Cheers,
Harsha

Most Viewed