Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2009, 13:14   #496
BHPian

Dear Friends & fellow bhpian's

A contact of mine plans to buy an used Land cruiser 4X4 4.2 Ltr V8 Petrol 2002 model very well maintained from a high profile owner in India.I assume all the papers and documentation of the vehicle is legal. The vehicle has done about 66,000 kilometers and is supposedly maintained very well. What price would be a good deal/fair deal for my contact to buy this vehicle, I have limited data so any inputs would be of great help to me and would give my contact a fair idea. Please pour in your inputs. Thank you.

Regards,
Dilip
Old 6th January 2009, 14:43   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Hey guys !!!

I have finally decided and bought a 2002 Palio 1.2 ELX model for 1.9L !! it has clocked 43K kms, beautifully maintained .. driven mostly on highways and serviced at regular intervals... I have seen the service rceipts on regular intervals stocked in the dashboard !! its fitted with LPG and when i took it, I got 21 lts LPG and 28 ltrs of petrol inside the tanks.. The car has a few scratches on the bumper and one on the right rear door.. thats it. all electricals and mechanicals are neat, tyres brand new .. changed at 40K, and Battery changed 8 months ago with 5 year warranty

I have changed the front windscreen considerin its 7 yrs old now and lights being scattered too much, Looking to change the Headlight bulbs to better and powerful ones (Please suggest good ones in bangalore ), Changed the stereo from pioneer 10 CD changer to pioneer USB 6050 HU and speakers !!
I am pretty impressed with the vehicle.. and the fiat mechanic ( Gangi Reddy, Solar automobiles, Hyd) certified it to be a well maintained one with awesome suspensions and neat sounding engine !!

It has returned me 14 kmpl in Gas on the highway to bangalore.. and 17kmpl on petrol.. top speed : 110 in LPG and 135 on petrol !! I am liking it
I got Fiat siena 1.6 for sale 2001 elx model with new battery & tubeless (ODO 32k) for 1.3 lakh but none seems to be interested wonder how you managed to pay such a huge price(1.9L is waay big for fiats) for a 1.2 palio. anyways congrats and wish you luck man
Old 6th January 2009, 16:46   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRO View Post
I got Fiat siena 1.6 for sale 2001 elx model with new battery & tubeless (ODO 32k) for 1.3 lakh but none seems to be interested wonder how you managed to pay such a huge price(1.9L is waay big for fiats) for a 1.2 palio. anyways congrats and wish you luck man
Well yea.. various factors buddy.. the number adds up to my lucky number.. color is my mom's fav colour, the owner is a decent guy and my dad's colony friend knows him pretty well, the car was visibly very neat and maintenance had no questions as my dad has seen it quuite a few times, the mech said jus go for it .. and AC was chilling in the mid afternoon. i can go about writing a few more of these factors but finally .. i do feel 1.9 Lakhs is little on the higher side, but why not when i really like it after seeing atleast 20 to 25 palios ranging from 1.2 lakhs tp 2.6 lakhs!! this was the pick of the lot for me
Old 7th January 2009, 21:03   #499
BHPian

2001 Lancer - Buy / No buy? Advise Needed...

Hi Everyone,

I am looking forward to picking up my first car in the next couple of months and am going through the rigmarole of narrowing down my options and also shuttling between whether I should buy a brand new small car or a pre-owned mid sized car. And in case I forgot to mention I''m yet to learn how to drive.

Regardless of that one major limitation, I've always been a huge Mitsubishi Lancer fan and have been scouting around for pre-owned or pre-worshipped (as we like to say here at BHP) Lancers in Bangalore.

I've chanced upon a car, which is a 2001 petrol model. In fact the person who owns this Lancer stays in the same apartments as I do. The car in question is a Black Lancer with a neat spoiler at the back and at first glance comes across as very well maintained. However it has done about 82,000 kms in the 7 years of its existence. Moreover it has already had two owners and if I go in for it, I would be the third.

Given this scenario, what would be a fair price for the car. Currently the seller is quoting Rs.2.8 lakhs, which I quite frankly find exhorbitant given the car's history. Again keep in mind I'm in Bangalore and prices over here are higher compared to Delhi, Bombay and Ludhiana.

Could you guys tell me if a 7 year old Lancer with a mileage of 80,000 odd kms makes sense in the first place? If the answer is in the affirmative, what is the price I should try to negotiate.

If the Lancer doesn't make sense, what are the other options available to me? I've been thinking of a pre-owned Accent, which is about 3-4 years old with about 35-40 thousand kms of mileage. The maximum I can stretch my budget is upto Rs.2.5 lakhs. Is a sparingly used Accent doable in this range in Bangalore? What are some of the other options I can explore?

The last and probably the least attractive option available to me is to go in for a brand new small car, such as a Hyudnai Santro. I would look at this as the last resort.

I've shot away a ton of questions in my first post. Hopefully you guys will be patient enough to answer all of my queries.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th January 2009, 10:31   #500
GTO
Team-BHP Support

2.6 lakhs is a lot of money for an 8 year old Lancer with 82,000 kms on the odo. I wouldn't recommend this buy since you don't know the history of that 82K running. Modern cars last well over 1.5 - 2.0 lakh kms, but again, the key difference is knowing the history of the car. For 2.6 lakhs, I'd suggest looking out for a Lancer with lesser mileage (since you are a Mitsu fan), a Baleno or an OHC (tough in your budget). You might also want to consider the erstwhile Fiat Palio 1.6 which suffers from terrible resale (to your benefit) and honestly, is maximum bang for the buck.
Old 8th January 2009, 10:55   #501
BHPian

I have a 2001 Lancer myself that has clocked 84000 kms (just this morning on my way to work). I would not expect more than 1.8-2.0 lacs if I intend to sell it, probably even less. 2.6 lacs is living in dreamland for such an old Lancer. Totally agree with GTO.

Last edited by wanderlustindia : 8th January 2009 at 11:06.
Old 8th January 2009, 11:53   #502
Team-BHP Support

Aug 2007 SX4 ZXi for Rs 5.5L

A colleague is considering this car - belongs to a neighbour who is moving abroad. I feel it is a fair price. A new one is around Rs 8L

What say ?
Old 8th January 2009, 12:30   #503
Senior - BHPian

Sx4 ZXI Aug 2007 model is worth for 5.5 lacs, thats dam good price to buy this fully loaded Sedan provided it has not met with major accidents and clocked not more than 40,000km.

Reading into neighbour who is moving abroad car should be in good condition.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th January 2009, 12:37   #504
Senior - BHPian

what would be a fair price for a contessa in ok condition in north India irrespective of the year
Old 11th January 2009, 10:08   #505

Decided to buy this Baleno...however

Hi Guys

I previously had an Esteem which i sold in the month of Oct 08 to the same guy who gave it to me (A dealer who sold me a battered car. The engine was good though). Still waiting for the money (thats a different story and )

After nearly three months of searching for another car, i zeroed in on a 2003 Baleno which has run 58K.

More info on the car:
Model: 2003
Version: Vxi
Owners: 2
Mileage: 58K
Good audio system (Sony) and speakers
Color: Atlantic Blue
Fancy Number: 007
Tyres: 45 days old tubeless tyres (Michelin)
Alloys: Forgive my ignorance about the specifications, but the car has non-stock alloys
No engine works.
Insurance has expired.

He has had the car for only 9 months (previously belonged to a well known businessman) and is selling away since he would be shifting base to Australia.

He kept telling me that he has looked after the car "Like a baby"and that he has got it serviced from MARS, authorized Maruti service station in Bangalore). Showed me a few bills.
He also showed me a bill for the December '08 service in which he replaced the front (left) drive assembly.

I have paid an advance of 10K(as on 10-jan'09).
It was a difficult choice but made easier by the fact that i went with my heart and not my head (What with new cars coming soon).

My only concern is that i have not shown the car to a mechanic . Now it sounds crazy, but going by what he told me and the bills and my own visual inspection and test drives, I decided on it.
Since I would be wanting to check out the car again, any check list that i must have, specifically with regard to the Baleno?

Regards
Jeeves
Old 11th January 2009, 13:32   #506
Senior - BHPian

just take it to a mech.
it is a secoind hand car so ther will be some issues. Just check for main points:
Bodyline
Transmission
engine
suspension
electricals

This should be enough. The main thing is are you happy with the car or no?
Old 11th January 2009, 14:02   #507
Team-BHP Support

The insurance expiry is a big thing. Once you renew it, any existing dents etc will not be covered.

And buying it wothout showing it to a mechanic ? Not done

See this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html
Old 11th January 2009, 20:10   #508
BHPian

Used ZEN 1997 Advice please

Hey friends, as you might have seen my earlier thread asking for advice on buying a NEXIA, which thankfully for you Bhpians I shelved the idea. No I have negotiated a ZEN 1997 model, first ownership, run 61,000 Kms used only sparingly. Now this beauty is in canary yellow and with new tyres and the body was done up a month back. It needs a new battery though. The asking price is for Rs 75,000/-. Is the price all right?. Please advise,I have to confirm to this guy latest by tommorow morning.

Thanks a ton friends

Lifewater
Old 11th January 2009, 23:54   #509
Senior - BHPian

go ahead if the car is ok trying reducing the price by 5K
Old 12th January 2009, 07:09   #510
BHPian

Thanks Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
go ahead if the car is ok trying reducing the price by 5K
Hey manik, thanks bro. Will try to do so. If all goes well, will pick up the car today and will post its pics. You all will also have to help me to carry out some cosmetic mods. By the way the car runs on stock 13" rims.

best wishes

lifewater

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks