Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2011, 14:37   #976
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I am planning to go for a Bridgestone this time - 185/60/15 or 195/60/15.

Any suggestion?
You must stick to 185 60 R15. The speedo margin of error is in my opinion is not within acceptable limits. In 10,000 miles your odo would be off by close to 200 miles. I'm not sure they would recaliberate at the VW workshop.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 15:08   #977
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
I am planning to go for a Bridgestone this time - 185/60/15 or 195/60/15.

Any suggestion?
You must stick to 185 60 R15. The speedo margin of error is in my opinion is not within acceptable limits. In 10,000 miles your odo would be off by close to 200 miles. I'm not sure they would recaliberate at the VW workshop.

Last edited by NevGin : 29th July 2011 at 15:12. Reason: Please delete this duplicate post.
Old 29th July 2011, 16:45   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Hi NevGin!

Difference between the two is the width of the tyre and not the diameter. Therefore, Speedo error should not change. Only the mileage could come down because of higher friction / road contact.

Check this link: Indian Tyres, Tyre market, Global Tyre companies

But I will stick to the OE proscribed size. This IMHO strikes the right balance between the road grip / friction and the mileage. Besides this, entire setup including hub / bearings, would have been designed keeping in mind the size and weight of the wheel. I do not want to alter that unnecessarily.

The below one is good except that it is wider by 10 mm.

Bridgestone India Private Limited

Does this have any bearing on the mechanical warranty of the vehicle? Any idea?

Last edited by Chethan B G : 29th July 2011 at 16:47.
Old 29th July 2011, 17:32   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Hi NevGin!

Difference between the two is the width of the tyre and not the diameter. Therefore, Speedo error should not change. Only the mileage could come down because of higher friction / road contact.

But I will stick to the OE proscribed size. This IMHO strikes the right balance between the road grip / friction and the mileage. Besides this, entire setup including hub / bearings, would have been designed keeping in mind the size and weight of the wheel. I do not want to alter that unnecessarily.

Chethan. Your understanding is not correct. The wall height (aspect ratio) (60) is a percentage of the tyre width. So that 60 in a 185 tyre v/s a 195 tyre is different. Hence you will have speedo and odo error.

VW will create some ruckus if the size is different. You also made a very valid point on whether or not the bearings will take this size. Since the car would have been made to a cost, I doubt there is any factor of safety built in in on the OEM bearings.
Old 29th July 2011, 17:51   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chethan. Your understanding is not correct. The wall height (aspect ratio) (60) is a percentage of the tyre width. So that 60 in a 185 tyre v/s a 195 tyre is different. Hence you will have speedo and odo error.

VW will create some ruckus if the size is different. You also made a very valid point on whether or not the bearings will take this size. Since the car would have been made to a cost, I doubt there is any factor of safety built in in on the OEM bearings.
Hi NevGin, Thanks for the Information. I was always thinking that 60 means the thickness.

Can you suggest a good tyre to replace the existing one? If your car needs a replacement tomorrow, what would you replace with?

Bridgestone does not have a 185/60/15. Or does it?
Old 29th July 2011, 18:48   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Hi NevGin, Thanks for the Information. I was always thinking that 60 means the thickness.

Can you suggest a good tyre to replace the existing one? If your car needs a replacement tomorrow, what would you replace with?

Bridgestone does not have a 185/60/15. Or does it?
I would go with Michelins in a heartbeat. Yes, they are a slightly softer compound but the drive quality and wet weather grip are remarkable.
Old 29th July 2011, 20:04   #982
BHPian

Chethan, I forgot to mention. The newer TDIs come with a underbody cover to protect it from debris from the road. This is normally priced at Rs 7,000 but is being given to us at Rs 1000. I had it fitted when they cleaned my brakes. Just thought I'd let you know.
NevGin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 20:04   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi NevGin!

Chetan, please stick to the OE size.
With 195/60, you will have 2% speedo error.
But more than that, I think 185/60 is the perfect balance between ride, grip and mileage.
And yes, upsizing the tires will void your warranty related to suspension etc.
I won't recommend it at all. Also, as you said, the entire mechanicals are designed with a specific size in mind and it is never wise to upsize unless there is a genuine problem.
I can vouch for Michelins - I changed the tires in my Santro from Bridsgestone to Michelins and have driven 12K+ after that.
Also, Jazz came with Michelins and I have driven 11K+ on that.
So, in this 23K, I never had a single puncture plus very good ride and grip.
I have some experience on Bridgestones and I definitely think the Michelins are better than them.
Old 29th July 2011, 20:17   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Chethan, I forgot to mention. The newer TDIs come with a underbody cover to protect it from debris from the road. This is normally priced at Rs 7,000 but is being given to us at Rs 1000. I had it fitted when they cleaned my brakes. Just thought I'd let you know.
Is this underbody cover available for Polo Petrol models as well?
At which service outlet did you get it installed?
Do you have an official bill for it?
Old 29th July 2011, 23:53   #985
BHPian

If its grip you are after, then 205/55 R15 seems to be the perfect up size for the polo. it would fit really well to the stock OEM alloys as well. Personally, I'd look at Yokohama S drives if you are keen on performance aspect
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 00:12   #986
Senior - BHPian

Anything over 185 is an overkill for 1.2 Polo. Yes, you can have 195s/205s for 1.6 petrol though.

If you are looking for life, then look for bridgestones, should easily last over 50k kms even if you drive hard occasionally. In bridgestones look for ER60 or ER300. The are decent tyres. Look for G3 if you drive a lot in wet areas.. In Yokohama look for DB series OR CDrives. S-Drives, only if you drive hard all the time.. In Michelines, XM1 are good..Also, look at kumho, although I havent used them recently, but the second set on my cousin's lancer is lasting/performing beautifully..But if its 50k plus kms you are looking for, go for bridgestones.. Shod RE88 bridgestones in 195/60/15 (OE in qualis, old corolla, cedia) and I bet they will last over 60 - 70k in polo 1.2..old technology but lasts like anything..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 30th July 2011 at 00:14.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 14:29   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a good information. Thanks!

I was told some time back, that VW is coming up with a under-body cover to protect the oil sump. This was called as the "Oil sump guard". Is this the one you have mentioned?

Quote:
I would go with Michelins in a heartbeat. Yes, they are a slightly softer compound but the drive quality and wet weather grip are remarkable.
Please don't mind - Just one more question. May be, a last one on the tyre.

Polo HL - OE fitment is 185/60R/15 84 T.

185 - Width
60 - Aspect ratio
R - Radial
15 - Rim size
84 - Load index - 500 kgs
T - Speed rating - 190 Kmph

Overall Diameter - 601 mm
Overall Rolling circumference - 1833 mm

Unfortunately, this tyre size is not available with Michelin or Bridgestone.

I have the following options:

1. Michelin Primacy LC - 195/60R/15 88 V

195 - Width
60 - Aspect ratio
R - Radial
15 - Rim size
88 - Load index - 560 kgs
V - Speed rating - 240 Kmph

Overall Diameter - 615 mm
Overall Rolling circumference - 1875 mm

2. Michelin Primacy MXV4 - 195/60R/15 88 H

195 - Width
60 - Aspect ratio
R - Radial
15 - Rim size
H - Speed rating - 210 Kmph

Overall Diameter - 615 mm
Overall Rolling circumference - 1875 mm

3. Bridgestone Potenza RE88 - 195/60R/15 88 V

195 - Width
60 - Aspect ratio
R - Radial
15 - Rim size
V - Speed rating - 240 Kmph

Overall Diameter - NA mm
Overall Rolling circumference - NA mm

My question is: When we compare the Unloaded overall diameter of Apollo and Michelin, the difference is 14 mm. Therefore Unloaded radius is 7 mm. Since Michelin tyres have softer side walls compared to Bridgestone or Apollo, "loaded radius" of Michelin will be lesser than it's "unloaded radius".

Will this reduce the Speedo error we are talking about? If so, Is Michelin 195/60R/15 a better choice?
Old 30th July 2011, 20:09   #988
BHPian

Quote:
This is a good information. Thanks!

I was told some time back, that VW is coming up with a under-body cover to protect the oil sump. This was called as the "Oil sump guard". Is this the one you have mentioned?

That is correct

Will this reduce the Speedo error we are talking about? If so, Is Michelin 195/60R/15 a better choice?
The reduction will just be notional. However I have some more information. Your difference in diameter is within 2% which is a standard acceptable difference. So with these tyres on, if your speedo reads lets say 113 km/hr, you are actually doing 115 km/hr.
My replies are in bold
Old 30th July 2011, 22:28   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Is this underbody cover available for Polo Petrol models as well?
At which service outlet did you get it installed?
Do you have an official bill for it?
Old 30th July 2011, 22:46   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
If you are looking for life, then look for bridgestones, should easily last over 50k kms even if you drive hard occasionally. In bridgestones look for ER60 or ER300. The are decent tyres. Look for G3 if you drive a lot in wet areas..
Just checking, are bridgestones better than Apollo Acelere in terms of grip and overall quality (reduced braking distance, road noise, longevity) ?
Quote:
Thanks @NevGin for sharing the information.
Somebody who visited the VW manufacturing facility at Chakan mentioned this sometime back, not sure though if you are referring the same, please refer link/post below -

*However, I believe these settings can be noticed on the underbody of the car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2298130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Last year had visited the VW factory at Chakhan 3 times ...
What impressed me about the Polo, as I saw a few units 'flying' above me on the lines, was the underbelly protection and all other 'toughen me up' kits being installed. A good friend who is a senior marketing chappie in VW explained later that these kits were for Indian conditions, though they install it elsewhere too.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 30th July 2011 at 23:04. Reason: addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks