Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 16:18   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I think mobike008 will agree with me that it is not exactly fair to compare the Fiesta (C-segment) with the Cruze or Civic (C+-segment) on running/maintenance/total costs.
+1. Fiesta maintenance costs just cannot be compared with Cruze/Civic. It's a different ball game altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I also agree that the Laura tsi is a good contender, but the only negative is the astronomical cost of Skoda spare parts. Imagine paying 18K for a single ORVM!
Laura TSI indeed is a fun car but, it's only for people with deep pockets and with a high risk taking ability.

Quote:
By the way are there any Cruzers here who've already put in 40-60k kms?
I think the first Cruze owner ( Sameer Sultan) could be reaching 40K kms by now considering the amount of kms he puts on the ODO.

Quote:
And yes, I have no idea why I'm getting quotes for a 10.2 IDV for a one-year old Civic V M/T. The IDV at this stage should be closer to 11 lacs.
Btw, I am not sure if you know. You can ask for premium quote for any figure you want to. I have asked 3 quotes for 10L, 10.25L, 10.50L. There is a significant difference in the premium amounts

Trick is negotiate 10L IDV quoted premium for a 10.50L IDV value.....See if you too can apply this trick for a much higher IDV for BQ

A 15,000kms detailed review was pending so here it comes :-

Performance : WA seems to have become extremely smooth after the oil change and since this period is usually the best period for any car, it felt extremely different after the service. Much more taut and stable. I repeat my car starts pulling from 1300rpm onwards and i have tested it many times. So the turbolag issue is non-existent, atleast according to me.

Build Quality : Even after completing 15K kms, there is absolutely not a single squeak, rattle or any other kind of disturbance. The doors are so heavy that my family has difficulty in opening and closing them and sometimes only due to this reason they insist we take out our White Angel instead of the Annihilator

High Speed Performance : This car is built ONLY for this criteria. As soon as its on the highway, it's a completely different animal and picks up speed blindingly fast and maintains those speeds as if there is nothing to it. It's an extreme challenge to drive this car at low speeds (i.e, 120kmph) on the highway. At this speed, you feel its simply crawling. And, this is not an exaggeration.

Tyres : CPC2 are one of the main asset of the car. They have performed brilliantly till date and it continues to be extremely grippy on wet roads and even at very high speeds, there is absolutely zero noise inside the cabin.

Gearshift: Special mention to the gearshift because after this service the gears slot in so perfectly, it's an absolute pleasure.

RPM Usage: I have touched the top speed of the car several times and may have touched the 4000RPM only once and this car redlines at 4.5K ( obviously since it's a diesel). In city driving, there is simply no need to cross the 2.5K RPM even if you are an aggressive driver. Whereas, on the highway, a sedate driving will require you to go up to 3000RPM and aggressive may stretch that limit to 3500RPM-4000RPM range.

Though I drive fast most of the time, I never would like to put undue stress on the engine. Hence, I upshift 1st, 2nd gears quickly and stay in 3rd and 4th gear most of the time. With 3rd gear being my favorite due to the enormous torque and accelaration that you can extract in this gear.

Many a times, I dont even downshift from 4th and a gentle tap is enough
to make the car surge forward.

Mileage : The proverbial question and quintessantial information required by every Indian.

I drive approximately 50kms/day during the working week.And, during this drive I might shift to 5th maybe once in a day.

I am always found in 70% of time in 3rd and 4th gears and remaining 30% in 1st and 2nd gears and I get an average of 11.50kmpl in city conditions with 100% AC and sometimes maybe 11kmpl but, till date never below 11kmpl.

I have realized i cannot beat this number and decided to be content with this decent FE.

And, an aggressive driving style on highway with RPM's hovering between 3000RPM-4000RPM may yeild in a slightly better average of 12.5kmpl to 13kmpl. But, the same highway drive is done sedately ( come on, who can drive the Cruze sedately?) then its easy to extract 15kmpl from this buttery smooth diesel mill.

Cost of Ownership : As mentioned during my service costs. Ownership of the diesel rocket hasnt pinched my pocket at all. 0.50/km including Wheel Alignment & Balancing is more than reasonable.

July 10th, 2011, WA went on the highway along with its fellow hyderabad TBHP member's cars to stretch its legs and fill its lungs with some fresh and crispy highway air and as usual was leading the pack of wolves with utmost ease.

Here are some pictures ( pardon the quality, all are from my mobile camera) from that drive meet to a place called Medak which is approximately 125kms from Hyderabad popular for a famous church. So overall, it was a nice 250kms run that day.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img2011071000026.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img2011071000044.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img2011071044.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img2011071000036.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img2011071043.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img2011071000030.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img_0048.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img2011071000054.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img2011071000075.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img_0072.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th July 2011 at 16:19.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 16:32   #677
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze:The “White Annihilator” has arrived!!!! EDIT : 15,000kms Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, I am not sure if you know. You can ask for premium quote for any figure you want to. I have asked 3 quotes for 10L, 10.25L, 10.50L. There is a significant difference in the premium amounts

Trick is negotiate 10L IDV quoted premium for a 10.50L IDV value.....See if you too can apply this trick for a much higher IDV for BQ
You read my mind, Avi bhai! That's exactly what I'm trying to do now (and yes, I know that we can get an IDV we want).

Quote:
I repeat my car starts pulling from 1300rpm onwards and i have tested it many times. So the turbolag issue is non-existent, atleast according to me.
It must be a result of the tuning GM has done on the later batch of Cruzes.

Quote:
I have touched the top speed of the car several times and may have touched the 4000RPM only once and this car redlines at 4.5K ( obviously since it's a diesel).
Did you hit top in 4th or 5th? Due to overdrive, you'll never red line in 5th. It'll be interesting to see if the Cruze hits top in 4th or 5th.

Nice summary review and pictures there.

By the way, I think you have forgotten one bullet point in your review - Image. BQ still makes people turn and look at it, and I'm sure that continues to be the case with WA as well.

Now that you've had the chance to TD the GPS as well, how useful do you think it is? Ani had one issue with it during his recent trip, but how did you find it in/around town and on these shorter out-of-town drives? My real intent of course is to get one for those longer out-of-town drives. I don't need one as much in the city as one can always stop and ask people around for directions.

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th July 2011, 11:45   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did you hit top in 4th or 5th? Due to overdrive, you'll never red line in 5th. It'll be interesting to see if the Cruze hits top in 4th or 5th. Nice summary review and pictures there.
Well, I should actually rephrase my comment. I didnt actually hit the top speed yet as its 219kmph for the Cruze. But, I was somewhere near the vicinity a few times and all these times was in 5th gear with RPM hovering at 4K

I am not even sure you can hit the top speed in a lower gear ( 4th). Would be interesting to know if someone who knows can throw light there.

Quote:
By the way, I think you have forgotten one bullet point in your review - Image. BQ still makes people turn and look at it, and I'm sure that continues to be the case with WA as well.
Thanks for reminding to add this key point. Ofcourse, Image of the car is much added plus and I have now become numb to all the attention that I get.

There has been many instances where bikers they overtake me from left cross the length of the car and turn back and keep staring at it for a long time It reminded me of my college days when i was on a bike and used to longingly look at a M800 dreaming of owning one....

Quote:
Now that you've had the chance to TD the GPS as well, how useful do you think it is? Ani had one issue with it during his recent trip, but how did you find it in/around town and on these shorter out-of-town drives? My real intent of course is to get one for those longer out-of-town drives. I don't need one as much in the city as one can always stop and ask people around for directions.
Well, the GPS is a beta version and data is pretty raw and nowhere detailed as a MapmyIndia or Google. But, it suffices in most cases and in one instance TOM TOM saved us from running around in circles while returning from our Suryalanka trip. It was actually a life saviour

Whereas, Ani had faced some difficulties during his trip to CHKMLR

There are updates available and I am too lazy to hook it up to the laptop and download the patches or correct the basic stuff like spellchecks, POI's which I can edit on my own device.

Will get down to updating the data when I am in the mood
Old 13th July 2011, 12:55   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not even sure you can hit the top speed in a lower gear ( 4th). Would be interesting to know if someone who knows can throw light there.
It depends on the gearing. If 5th (typically the only overdrive gear, although sometimes 4th is also an overdrive) is very tall, you'll never be able to reach a high enough RPM. Let's say 4th is 1:1 and 5th is 0.8:1. The red line is 4.5k rpm, say, and you're able to hit it in 4th. Then you need to hit 0.8 x 4.5k = 3.6k rpm at least in 5th if maximum speed must be attained in 5th. Else, maximum speed will be attained in 4th.

Quote:
Well, the GPS is a beta version and data is pretty raw and nowhere detailed as a MapmyIndia or Google. But, it suffices in most cases and in one instance TOM TOM saved us from running around in circles while returning from our Suryalanka trip. It was actually a life saviour

Will get down to updating the data when I am in the mood
It would be nice to know how quickly TomTom is updating maps. I feel buying a MapMyIndia device is pointless given how expensive it is. For now, I just rely on my phone's data connection and the built-in maps application to guide me, but then I'm at the mercy of the data connection (not always reliable when roaming) and the arguably weaker GPS antenna in a phone. A "strong" GPS unit would've saved me lots of time in my Goa drive, for instance.

Regards,
spadix
Old 19th July 2011, 16:15   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

I need to close on the Insurance renewal latest by tomorrow as it expires on July 22nd.

Here are a couple of revised quotes :-

HDFC Ergo
IDV : 10 Lakhs
Premium: Rs.17,362

Bajaj Allianz
Premium : 18,348

IDV : 10.25 Lakhs
Premium : 18,728

IDV : 10.50 Lakhs
Premium : 19,107

Need some inputs from people who are using or have used HDFC Ergo and Bajaj Allianz? Is their claim procedure fast and smooth?

How is their overall experience?

I reckon will close at a final premium of Rs.16,500 with either of these 3 insurers ( Bajaj Allianz, HDFC, Tata AIG)
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:02   #681
BHPian

Quote:
I reckon will close at a final premium of Rs.16,500 with either of these 3 insurers ( Bajaj Allianz, HDFC, Tata AIG)
Avi bhai, I hope by now you'd have renewed your insurance. How much did you pay for it?

I am in the market for insurance premium renewal and can you provide the break up on your premium was calculated? I am trying to use your premium as a benchmark to calculate my premium and unable to arrive at this low an amount unless I ask for a heavy discount and use NCB as 50%. It'd be good to hear from you who have been there, done that.

I have a spreadsheet calculator I use now and I can upload for everyone's benefit once I validate.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:11   #682
BHPian

Quote:
I need to close on the Insurance renewal latest by tomorrow as it expires on July 22nd.

HDFC Ergo
Premium: Rs.17,362

Bajaj Allianz
Premium : 18,348

IDV : 10.25 Lakhs
Premium : 18,728

IDV : 10.50 Lakhs
Premium : 19,107

Need some inputs from people who are using or have used HDFC Ergo and Bajaj Allianz? Is their claim procedure fast and smooth?

How is their overall experience?

Apologies for replying late, just was the post.

I am using Bajaj from last 5 years and the services are quite good. Easy renewal, smooth claim procedure without too many formalities and questions.

I have made 2 claims in the 5 year window and both time, my claims were handled professional. first claim was a cashless one and second time, i had to pay the amount to get the car released and bajaj sent me a cheque in 13 days. To add, my second claim was in Bangalore whereas the insurance was renewed and was on my Delhi address.

During the cashless claim, the service center took care of all claim filing and i just signed few papers for documentation purposes explaining how the accident happened. During second claim, called their customer support and told them to register a claim with my policy no, car & garage details.

Hope this helps !!!
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:26   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Your query couldnt have been timed more appropriately. My insurance expires tonight at midnight. I went personally to HDFC bank this morning as anyways had to drop wifey to office and this is what transpired

A lady from HDFC called me yesterday and i was giving her all "self made figures of quotes received from other insuring companies"

I told her I got a quote of Rs.16,750 for 10.35 Lakhs IDV value from X company. Whereas, the actual figure received from X company (DSA) was their best and final quote for 10.35 Lakhs IDV value for HDFC was Rs.17,350

She reverted late yesterday evening with a best price of Rs.16,500 for 10.30L IDV

I thought this was the best and was mentally prepared to make this payment. Told her will personally come to their office today morning and make the payment through CC.

I went this morning and met her manager and tried my last trick up my sleeve and she was not present at that time.

Me to that Lady's manager: I got a quote of Rs.15,500 for same IDV value....And, I bluntly told him you beat this offer and i will make payment rightaway or I will leave and close with other company in next one hour.

Sales Guy : Give me 2 mins sir, will be back

He comes back in less than 2 mins and says :

Sir, our final and best offer is Rs.15540 for same IDV value

Me : Let's round off that amount and we have ourselves a deal to which he grins and accepts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
Avi bhai, I hope by now you'd have renewed your insurance. How much did you pay for it?
I paid Rs.15,500 for an IDV value of 10.30 Lakhs with HDFC Ergo

Quote:
I am in the market for insurance premium renewal and can you provide the break up on your premium was calculated? I am trying to use your premium as a benchmark to calculate my premium and unable to arrive at this low an amount unless I ask for a heavy discount and use NCB as 50%. It'd be good to hear from you who have been there, done that.
Shopping for any product and service is an ART ( i.e, if your keen to save your hard earned money) not many people have the patience nor inclination to go through this slightly inconvenienced route. However, I am off beileve that "nonone can take me for a ride" and will get the best deal in whatever product or service that Iam in market for. Perhaps, it just comes from my profession

Anyways, cutting a long story short. Call Just dial, and ask for insurers and pit minimum 3-4 companies together, give lower figures to competitors than what you already got from them should help you close a deal in the most VFM manner.

Hope that helps !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd July 2011 at 12:30.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:49   #684
BHPian

Quote:
I paid Rs.15,500 for an IDV value of 10.30 Lakhs with HDFC Ergo
My Congratulations . This is indeed a smacking deal you've got. In fact the best deal I have now is also from HDFC. Let me see what I can get.
thenomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:28   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Congratulations . This is indeed a smacking deal you've got. In fact the best deal I have now is also from HDFC. Let me see what I can get.
Here are some messy pictures of the renewal cover note
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img2011072200106.jpg  

Chevrolet Cruze:“White Annihilator” has arrived EDIT: 63,500 km up and now SOLD!-img20110722106.jpg  

Old 29th July 2011, 16:32   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I should actually rephrase my comment. I didnt actually hit the top speed yet as its 219kmph for the Cruze.
I was just reading the car bible's website before I ventured into this thread (for the 100+th time ^_^) and there was a mention on the maximum speed a car is allowed to travel on a particular speed rated tyre. Does the CPC2 have a H rating? H is supposed to endure a maximum speed of 210 Km/h. More here if you're interested: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 4

If it's true that the Cruze's top speed is 219, then people who intend to push their cruze over 210 might want to consider a higher rated tyres (like a V or Z).

Just thought you might like to know.
w0lf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 12:12   #687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
I was just reading the car bible's website before I ventured into this thread (for the 100+th time ^_^) and there was a mention on the maximum speed a car is allowed to travel on a particular speed rated tyre. Does the CPC2 have a H rating? H is supposed to endure a maximum speed of 210 Km/h. More here if you're interested: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 4

If it's true that the Cruze's top speed is 219, then people who intend to push their cruze over 210 might want to consider a higher rated tyres (like a V or Z).

Just thought you might like to know.
That's pretty thoughtful of you to have brought up the subject. The primary reasons for choosing CPC2 over the stock JK Vectra's was due to :-

1. Excellent and much better grip in dry conditions

2. Where it excels is in wet conditions, there is plenty of grip in wet and people say its good in gravel conditions too. But, i never could make out how to make out this difference

3. Most importantly, it eliminated the tyre noise completely

4. Finally, if you look at Continental Tires -ContiPremiumContact™ 2

CPC2s start with T and go up to Y rating for their tyres starting from 14"-18"

Mine is a 205 section with 16" wheels so it' should be minimum H if not higher rating. Havent done a visual check on the tyre yet. Will confirm soon

Trust me at 200kmph, it feels so relaxed, both the car and tyre. I feel its a perfect mating
Old 30th July 2011, 13:49   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The primary reasons for choosing CPC2 over the stock JK Vectra's was due to :-
Does changing the tyres (not rims) and using a minor upsize (say 10mm) affect the warranty with GM?

PS: Have been following this thread intermittently. Sorry if it has already been answered.
Old 30th July 2011, 13:51   #689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Trust me at 200kmph, it feels so relaxed, both the car and tyre. I feel its a perfect mating
I've TD'd a Cruze couple of days back along with a colleague who is keen on buying one. I was blown away by the acceleration, and could reach 120 very soon on the road between DC Road and Old Mumbai Road.

My colleagues in the car never knew that I'd touched that speed---they thought I was doing 80 or 90 !

Only annoying factor was turbo lag in 2nd gear while taking a U turn, but I guess we have to live with it. Cars having a good top whack seem to have lag in low rpms, while cars like the diesel Figo don't have it, but lack top end grunt!
Old 30th July 2011, 15:48   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Does changing the tyres (not rims) and using a minor upsize (say 10mm) affect the warranty with GM?
If the specifications are met almost entirely with no change to wheel size. An upsize of 10mm width would not effect the warranty ( that's just by logic but, dont know for sure as we normally dont get answers to such questions as almost nobody would be SURE)

Btw, curious to know what warranty are we talking about? Warranty for what exactly if the tyres are upsized to 215/60/R16 which is 10mm extra on a 205 section? Would be interesting to know what you think would go wrong that would neccessitate a warranty claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I've TD'd a Cruze couple of days back along with a colleague who is keen on buying one. I was blown away by the acceleration, and could reach 120 very soon on the road between DC Road and Old Mumbai Road.

My colleagues in the car never knew that I'd touched that speed---they thought I was doing 80 or 90 !

Only annoying factor was turbo lag in 2nd gear while taking a U turn, but I guess we have to live with it. Cars having a good top whack seem to have lag in low rpms, while cars like the diesel Figo don't have it, but lack top end grunt!
Venu, the straightline accelaration of the Cruze is experienced to be beileved. I am glad you liked it. It's appropriately advertized " Diesel Rocket"

With regards to the turbolag, for someone driving a Cruze for the first time, especially someone like you who drive only petrol cars, the lag may seem a lot but, would be slightly bothersome for someone used to driving diesel cars.

Besides, after owning or driving it for a few days when you know which gear keeps you in the powerband. The so called "turbo-lag brohuaha" will become non-existent

Last edited by mobike008 : 30th July 2011 at 15:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks